PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BJGE Signs with Bengals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The law firm was a class act. Wish him well.

Nice to see we are fans of an organization that made the BJGE and Mark Anderson stories possible.

Definitely true and has been for the past several championship-less years.

FWIW, it is increasingly true in the NFL in general, not just in NE.

Well, there it is...

I think he topped out at a little over $2M here and I'm not sure they'd have been all that keen on a 3 year deal. They might have paid him a little more for less, 2/$5M. Can't blame him for chasing the $$$. RB's have a short shelf life and Benny probably made less than $3M thus far in his 4 year career. But Bill gave him the opportunity to have a career. I could see him back here in a year or two as veteran depth if he doesn't get too beat up or pan out in Cincy.

I'm a little leery of the unit as is. Although having a fullback may help. Still wouldn't be surprised to see Bill sign a veteran thumper as camp rolls around. The jury is still out on Riddley and Vareen.

Still pissed pats didn't get him back..

You'd have to think the patriots would have been able to get BJGE at the same price or possibly less, therefore the patriots must really value Ridley and Vereen more than they did BJGE, they thought that even if he signed with them, the other running backs would eventually overtake him.

BJGE was a good back who was able to reliably get 3-4 yards, never fumbled the ball and was great in the locker room, but i believe the patriots thought they should be getting more out of their running game when every team is playing the pass because you are able to hit 15 yards plays almost at will.

Wow. Dirt cheap. Lol

Might as well forget Jon Stewart if Bill wasn't even willing to Pony up this chump change for Benny.

Don't forget that's base; there are also triggers that can push it past that amount.

It's also good for him that he gets $4m in the first year, who knows what happens in a year or two.

Wow. Dirt cheap. Lol

Might as well forget Jon Stewart if Bill wasn't even willing to Pony up this chump change for Benny.

If the Pats were not willing to do $3M a year, then he had no shot of coming back from the start. Looks like the Ridley/Vereen era has begun.

Didn't we pay that for the back up safety, Gregory ?

Easier to find plug-and-play talent at RB than safety, is probably the reasoning.

If the Pats weren't willing to pay BJGE more than $3M per, I'm okay with that. I know a lot of people liked him, but the running game was never going to be particularly threatening with him as the lead guy. And no, I'm not just saying that now that he's gone; I've been saying that pretty much since the day he became the starter. I'd rather see what we have in the young guys, and maybe even spend another mid-round pick on a back this year if we trade down and get some more of them.

Happy for BJGE, though. To go from an UDFA to a $9M deal as a running back is pretty awesome; he'll be set for life as long as he's smart with the money.

Last edited:
Wow. Dirt cheap. Lol

Where do you work? I'm interested. :)

If the Pats were not willing to do $3M a year, then he had no shot of coming back from the start. Looks like the Ridley/Vereen era has begun.

Why do you say that? Do you think teams were lining up to pay him that? Doesn't look like it, especially when you consider all of the RBs still on the market. It's not a good time to be a free agent veteran RB.

Would love to see BJGE back on the Patriots as Running Backs Coach when the game on the field has passed him by.

His ability to keep the ball tight against his body and never fumbling would be something any running back would love to practice and learn from since ability like he has is extremely rare.

Hopefully Ridley took some lessons, because if he can get better at that he'll turn into a very good RB.

According to PFT Benny got 3 mil a year for 3 years. Ocho got 5 for 1 year.
But Benny was just too expensive ..... :rolleyes:
Ridiculous!!

According to PFT Benny got 3 mil a year for 3 years. Ocho got 5 for 1 year.
But Benny was just too expensive ..... :rolleyes:
Ridiculous!!

I guess that tells you how much the Patriots valued BJGE contribution and how much they like Ridley and Vereen

I really like bjge, but im pretty excited about ridley. if he can improve his ball security, i think he is going to be a much more dynamic back.

we saw glimpses last year where you just expect him to break out for a big gain. plus, we really havent seen much of Vereen(who is another high pick). Bill must be confident with these 2 guys(as well as woodhead) to let benny walk

I guess that tells you how much the Patriots valued BJGE contribution and how much they like Ridley and Vereen

BB seemed to value BJGE down the stretch in '11....essentially benching Ridley. And now you think BB is ready to turn the keys over to Ridley? "We don't trust you in the playoffs....but we will lean on you for an entire upcoming season?"
I just don't buy it.....the Pats RB corp is currently comprised of 2 scat backs, 1 blocking back, and a guy they essentially benched during crunch time. There has to be more coming

Thank you BenJarvis, for being a solid and consistent player. It is OK to fumble now.

Always figured the Bengals could use a lawfirm, but this isn't quite what I had in mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST