PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills: RB Marshawn Lynch arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no issues with a player packing legally with a permit. I myself do not carry, but it's my right to do so if I feel the need.

But these players have to understand, if they can't get a permit, then they can't carry. Just like the rest of us.

A gun can be used by anyone anywhere. And what should these atheletes do? Stay home every night and watch re-runs of M*A*S*H? They're human too and they're Americans. They have as much of a right to carry a gun as we do.

Not everyone is American. Not everyone thinks guns are a good solution. If you guys want to go around shooting people, go ahead I guess.

I'd rather watch 4 hours of MASh per day that carry a loaded weapon. "And what should these athletes do ?" Here's a CRAZY thought : don't carry a loaded gun.

I freely admit I just don't understand most Americans. Not saying you are bad - just saying I can't understand your love of guns. My family loves to hunt deer. They have guns, in cases, at camps - but not the kind that you use with one hand and that can cut through both sides of an SUV.

I stand by my initial stance. Guns cause problems rather than solve them.

In closing, I repeat my love for the mulitple Cassel threads.

An airplane can fall on you anywhere you go as well. But chances are it won't happen if you stay away from airport runways. You make it sound like the wild West out there. So, say someone pulls a gun on an NFL player carrying a gun illegally. What next? A shootout? A duel at 20 paces? You're talking nonsense.

What is more likely: an airplane falling out of the sky and hitting you or going somewhere in a big city and getting a gun pulled on you?

Not everyone is American. Not everyone thinks guns are a good solution. If you guys want to go around shooting people, go ahead I guess.

And you are allowed to have that opinion. I disagree with it, but I respect your right to have it.

I'd rather watch 4 hours of MASh per day that carry a loaded weapon. "And what should these athletes do ?" Here's a CRAZY thought : don't carry a loaded gun.

Try telling that to Sean Taylor and the people that knew him best. Here is some food for thought: Taylor was murdered INSIDE his house. In the safety of his own home. The propensity for danger increases dramatically everytime you leave your house. Also keep in mind that these players, for the most part, live in big cities where the crime rate is double or more than that of a small town.

I freely admit I just don't understand most Americans. Not saying you are bad - just saying I can't understand your love of guns. My family loves to hunt deer. They have guns, in cases, at camps - but not the kind that you use with one hand and that can cut through both sides of an SUV.

The majority of Americans look at guns as a way of self defense. I have no problems with that just as long as the gun in question is registered with the state and they have a legal permit. It's the Americans that carry guns to go through with crimes that you have to worry about which brings me to my next point...

I stand by my initial stance. Guns cause problems rather than solve them.

No, the person behind the gun causes the problems. A gun does not float in the air and open fire on a random person because, "it just feels like killin". The person carrying it has to make the conscious decision to pull the trigger. If the person has excellent morals and is a good decision maker, there will not be a problem. On the other hand, if the person does not have any morals and is a horrible decision maker than problems happen. My first example is Person A. The second is Person B. Essentially, Person A would carry a gun in the event that he needs to protect himself from Person B.

In closing, I repeat my love for the mulitple Cassel threads.

Now I can agree with this. :D

What is more likely: an airplane falling out of the sky and hitting you or going somewhere in a big city and getting a gun pulled on you?
Answer: a gun being pulled on you.

However, how is owning/carrying a gun going to help the situation above? In most cases, the criminal is going to use the element of surprise, and put a gun to your face before you have a chance to reach for your own weapon. And in that situation, the fact that you own a gun is hopefully irrelevant, because if you reach for it you're a dead man.

Good question. Neither has happened to me yet, so the probabilities must be close to equal. Then again, I don't loiter near airports OR high-crime areas of big cities.

Damn..... I just realized that all my guns must be defective. They haven't killed anyone. (insert sarcastic smiley)

As a law abiding American that has a proper permit, I choose to carry a firearm to protect myself and my family because it is my right. I'm not saying it's the answer to all problems but if faced with a threat, it gives me the best chance at neutralizing said threat. That being said, it's too bad there are too many idiot people out there that make dumb decisions with firearms and give all of us a bad name.

Answer: a gun being pulled on you.

However, how is owning/carrying a gun going to help the situation above? In most cases, the criminal is going to use the element of surprise, and put a gun to your face before you have a chance to reach for your own weapon. And in that situation, the fact that you own a gun is hopefully irrelevant, because if you reach for it you're a dead man.

If that happens than you obviously give up what the guy is asking for unless you can be slick about it. However, if you see it coming, there is no better defense against a criminal with a gun than to use a gun yourself. Either way, with or without a gun, your life would be on the line if that situation were to go down. The question is: would you rather your life be in your own hands, or his hands?

Good question. Neither has happened to me yet, so the probabilities must be close to equal. Then again, I don't loiter near airports OR high-crime areas of big cities.

When in a big city (with the exception of a Boston or a Seattle), you should consider every part of it a high crime area. Especially walking around in a city with which you are not familiar.

When in a big city (with the exception of a Boston or a Seattle), you should consider every part of it a high crime area. Especially walking around in a city with which you are not familiar.

Have you ever had a gun pulled on you? I agree that a person should watch his back in unfamiliar places, but still, carrying a handgun (especially without a license) doesn't seem to make a lot of sense in deferring an assault. As one poster already noted, the element of surprise is usually involved. I can see having a gun to protect your home, but walking around with one invites too many potentially disastrous scenarios, as we've already seen.

Last edited:
Have you ever had a gun pulled on you? I agree that a person should watch his back in unfamiliar places, but still, carrying a handgun (especially without a license) doesn't seem to make a lot of sense in deferring an assault. As one poster already noted, the element of surprise is usually involved. I can see having a gun to protect your home, but walking around with one invites too many potentially disastrous scenarios, as we've already seen.

Yes. Three times. Twice because I was getting robbed by someone I've never met. That is the exact reason why I got my concealed weapons permit and carry a gun when I go somewhere unfamiliar. By the way, I never said that I agreed with carrying a handgun without a liscence.

Yes. Three times. Twice because I was getting robbed by someone I've never met. That is the exact reason why I got my concealed weapons permit and carry a gun when I go somewhere unfamiliar. By the way, I never said that I agreed with carrying a handgun without a liscence.

I'm curious, how does one qualify to carry a concealed weapon? What requirements must be met?

Depends on the state. In WA, they fingerprint you and run an extensive background check. Anything on there (if I'm not mistaken) including DUIs, will disqualify you. Oh yeah, you also have to be an American citizen.

Excuses totally bogus. Here's the real scoop : if you're scared to be somewhere without a gun, maybe you shouldn't be there in the first place.

Where I live, nobody locks doors - cars or homes - because nobody kills people, takes people, or steals. Not interested in lame "I have to wear a gun" excuses. Truth is : how "free" can you be if you need to carry ?

Side note: anyone ever notice how few Pats end up in these kinda stories ?

Jabar Gafney

Update

ProFootballTalk.com - LYNCH PLEADS GUILTY TO FIREARM POSSESSION

LYNCH PLEADS GUILTY TO FIREARM POSSESSION
Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2009, 1:30 p.m. EST

Bills running back Marshawn Lynch has copped his second plea in less than a year.

The first time around, he ducked hit-and-run charges with what essentially amount to a traffic ticket. This time, he has pleaded guilty as charged, to misdemeanor charges in California arising from the possession of a firearm. His agent, Doug Hendrickson, informed us of the plea. Hendrickson tells us that Lynch will serve no jail time.

“Today I pled guilty to a misdemeanor violation of having a firearm in a vehicle,” Lynch said in a statement e-mailed to PFT.

“I am embarrassed by my recent arrest and conviction. I deeply regret that I placed myself in this situation. “I have made mistakes in the past. Although I have learned many lessons over recent years, I obviously have not learned enough. I apologize to my family, the Buffalo Bills organization, my teammates, the Buffalo community, and Commissioner Goodell. I have already learned from this recent mistake and am sincerely committed to being a more responsible citizen and better representative of the NFL.”

Lynch’s case will now be reviewed by the league under the Personal Conduct Policy, given that the legal process is concluded. Though he wasn’t disciplined for last year’s guilty plea, the fact that he has run afoul of the law twice in less than a year could result in a stiffer punishment.

Frankly, we wouldn’t be surprised by a four-game suspension, reduced on appeal to two.

Yes. Three times.

Unless you worked at the register in a store, grew up as a gang-banger/in a ghetto or had a profession either in the military or something similar, the odds of this happening 3 times would rival getting hit by a falling plane. Perhaps you should play the lottery. If you did have a profession or lifestyle that put you into high risk situations like that, your argument becomes invalid because these odds don't apply to adults traveling normally.

I've traveled extensively throughout the US in my career, having been to almost every major city in the US outside of Hawaii. The idea that you should consider every part of any city you're not familiar with as a high crime area is more than absurd. In fact, the vast majority of the time, there are telltale signs when you're entering a bad area. Even so, you can go from a good section to a "bad section" very quickly in some cases, especially in cities like DC or LA. Having not lived under a rock, whenever I've gone to a major city for the first time, I generally know if it's a high crime city or not. For example, I bet 90%+ of the people reading this know that Oakland is a crap-hole. The sensible course of action is to do a little research on a city before you go, or talk to locals.

My rules of thumb going to a new city are pretty simple. Always ask the taxi driver what places to avoid and what restaurants are good. Bartenders are the best to ask if you want to know where to go to have fun. For the best pizza, always ask the locals... I'll usually ask a few people either at a convenience store or gas station.

I have no problem with atheletes carrying guns as long as it's registered, and they are following all the laws and safety rules that apply. However, anyone who thinks guns have no effect on people, and that people are the only danger, are ignoring the physcological effect of guns in our society. Guns are a powerful symbol in ALL of our minds, and anyone who thinks carrying one doesn't have an effect on our state of mind, and potentially our actions, should do some research before continuing in a discussion on the subject.

Last edited:
I am thankfull that we in the US have the Second Ammendment protecting our rights to arms. I'm thankfull that there are folks with legal concealed carry around. Gives your basic banger something to think about before whiping out his unregistered weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back