PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill O'Brien emerging as an option for Patriots offensive coordinator in 2023

To the mod who banned me from posting due to saying this is the worst team in football. You’re as soft as this teams QB

Can’t even post an opinion with these snow flakes running the site
“Worst team in football” is not an opinion. It’s objectively wrong. The defense is top 10 in just about every measurable quality and they are middle of the pack record wise. Worst team in football would be the Texans, not the patriots. Banning that kind of blatant over the top negativity is not being a snowflake. You don’t like those expectations post elsewhere. Now if you got banned for saying awful offense, garbage OC, and boring stupid mistake riddled unpatriot like football you would have a point. It’s ok to biotch about things just be factually and objective not over the top BS.

One year around 500 give or take a game and you want to wipe out and start over? That seems a bit over dramatic The league is set up for a team to rise up for 3-4 years then sink back down a few years before rising again. The fact that we stayed near the top 20+ years is a testament to ownership and coaching.

How is 10-7 a losing season? (In the other posters post)

This season was jettisoned not by talent but by the coaching mismanagement of belicheck

I work with my son every day at our business
This is Kraft’s business but BB is promoting his sons in nepotistic fashion. No problem if it works.

And it’s not.

Esp when Mayo jumps ship to be DC somewhere else. I anticipate the Krafts being upset.

And this can’t be in 2023: whites as both coordinators and head coach. Just a bad look.

Kraft’s friends at billionaire camp will go tsk-tsk behind his back.

Will drive him nuts.

This can only happen if JMayo is formally declared the DC. This ain’t the ‘87 Giants with a white head coach and a Belichick DC and a white OC.

Just can’t do it. Call it political. But it’s reality.

Kind of shocked when I saw the headline for this thread. My initial reaction was that it HAD to be Volin who wrote it. He often writes this kind of "keen sense of the OBVIOUS" article. We have been talking about BOB as a possible Josh replacement for close to a YEAR now. In fact every day since Josh was hired. So I was curious to find out why this well over discussed topic would generate 4+ pages of comment.

I was actually pleased that the thread veered off BOB to talk about the coaching staff in general (a much more interesting topic. btw) Below are my comments.

1. I liked the idea that Patricia move to a Ernie Adams like of role next year.

2. Nepotism in football? C'mon man. Next thing you'll be telling me that the tax code is blind to who is rich or poor. Anyway, Steve Belichick has shown yearly that he DESERVES to be doing what he's doing for the Pats. But TOO often, perception becomes reality. I have often felt that he'd be well served if he took a DC role elsewhere, in order to carve out a more separate identity.

3. A building coaching staff is like building a team. A HC needs to have people around him that not only know the game, but you trust and feel comfortable. Now granted when I was a HS HC I only had a staff of 4 guys. 3 of which I coached with when I was an assistant, and the other a young kid fresh out of college I liked. You meet a ton of other coaches at clinics and such and there will be some guys you enjoy talking with and others you don't.

Now it's vastly different when you have a dozen or so guys you have to manage, but I imagine the same basic principles apply. You want them to be football smart, so that you can learn new things from them, but still be guys you like to be around.

4. The pats has a GREAT coaches training program in place that has produced some excellent coaches. Seems like you have to "intern" for as much as 3 or 4 years at the QC level, breaking down film and taking your game to the next level before you even get to be an "assistant" anything.

5. The "Steve/Jarod dynamic". Like Brian Flores before them, they are BOTH ready to run their own shop. Belichick will be hard pressed to get a look as a HC because of the whole "perception" thing, getting a DC job elsewhere is a possibility. Mayo is a future NFL HC for sure, but I think he will need a DC title before he gets his shot. He is a smart and dynamic personality. '

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out because whatever they are doing TOGETHER, has produced a top 10 result.

Bottom line: All players care about from their coaches (especially on the NFL level) are results. Are we given game plans that work IF we execute them. Are they getting the most out of my talents. Are we put into positions that allow us to succeed and not asked to do things we aren't capable of.

You don't need to be a charismatic or dynamic. Bill is clear example of that. DESPITE his taciturn personality, and the fact he was a better lacrosse player than a football player at Wesleyan. Grown men have followed Bill for more than 4 decades because he DELIVERS what all players want.

6. And while I don't want to actually get into a "football" discussion, for all its warts and seeming disfunction on offense, the Pats have continued to be "THIS" close to winning an awful lot of football games against football teams that are deemed better than they are talent wise. That's not an accident. The last 2 games are perfect examples that personify this season.

Kind of shocked when I saw the headline for this thread. My initial reaction was that it HAD to be Volin who wrote it. He often writes this kind of "keen sense of the OBVIOUS" article. We have been talking about BOB as a possible Josh replacement for close to a YEAR now. In fact every day since Josh was hired. So I was curious to find out why this well over discussed topic would generate 4+ pages of comment.

I was actually pleased that the thread veered off BOB to talk about the coaching staff in general (a much more interesting topic. btw) Below are my comments.

1. I liked the idea that Patricia move to a Ernie Adams like of role next year.
100% For years now everyone has bragged about his intelligence. He's not completely useless, as some of us sometime shout in a kneejerk fashion, and Bill clearly values his input and having him around. This OC thing just isn't working though, and the OL is performing horribly. Don't know what it is, and it's not all on him, but he is definitely part of the problem. Find him a spot that he can still be valuable to the organization and bring someone else in who will get this offense looking like a PRO offense again.
2. Nepotism in football? C'mon man. Next thing you'll be telling me that the tax code is blind to who is rich or poor. Anyway, Steve Belichick has shown yearly that he DESERVES to be doing what he's doing for the Pats. But TOO often, perception becomes reality. I have often felt that he'd be well served if he took a DC role elsewhere, in order to carve out a more separate identity.
Steve and Mayo would both benefit from going somewhere else. Pains me to say it, but Bill isn't willing to name either one the DC. When things are going good, Bill gets all of the credit, when things are going bad, NEPOTISM!!! Neither one has been given the opportunity to the THE GUY and prove themselves. All this cute **** Bill has been doing with the coaching staff isn't cute anymore.
3. A building coaching staff is like building a team. A HC needs to have people around him that not only know the game, but you trust and feel comfortable. Now granted when I was a HS HC I only had a staff of 4 guys. 3 of which I coached with when I was an assistant, and the other a young kid fresh out of college I liked. You meet a ton of other coaches at clinics and such and there will be some guys you enjoy talking with and others you don't.
Bills coaching staff has been getting raided for years now. To his credit, he tried to bring in Schiano, and he appeared to be flirting with Billy O last year, but nothing came to fruition. Whether it's Kraft not willing to pay top dollar to attract more talent, or Bill running his program like a top secret military unit, idk, but once again, something has got to change. Especially when you are trying to rebuild by bringing in a bunch of young guys. You've got to have top notch coaching, and the product we are seeing on the field gives off the impression that they don't have that. The D has had its WTF moments, but is more stable than the Offense and ST's which week in and week out leave you scratching your head. To add to the current problems, I wouldn't be surprised if long time locker room leaders like Slater and McCourty decide to hang them up. That's a lot of leadership leaving Gillette.
Now it's vastly different when you have a dozen or so guys you have to manage, but I imagine the same basic principles apply. You want them to be football smart, so that you can learn new things from them, but still be guys you like to be around.

4. The pats has a GREAT coaches training program in place that has produced some excellent coaches. Seems like you have to "intern" for as much as 3 or 4 years at the QC level, breaking down film and taking your game to the next level before you even get to be an "assistant" anything.

5. The "Steve/Jarod dynamic". Like Brian Flores before them, they are BOTH ready to run their own shop. Belichick will be hard pressed to get a look as a HC because of the whole "perception" thing, getting a DC job elsewhere is a possibility. Mayo is a future NFL HC for sure, but I think he will need a DC title before he gets his shot. He is a smart and dynamic personality. '
Mayo has got to be the guy, right? Have some private conversations with Steve, maybe give him some new responsibilities, but Mayo is a guy the players will respond to. Give him the reigns and let him sink or swim before someone else swoops in and picks him up.
It will be interesting to see how it all plays out because whatever they are doing TOGETHER, has produced a top 10 result.

Bottom line: All players care about from their coaches (especially on the NFL level) are results. Are we given game plans that work IF we execute them. Are they getting the most out of my talents. Are we put into positions that allow us to succeed and not asked to do things we aren't capable of.

You don't need to be a charismatic or dynamic. Bill is clear example of that. DESPITE his taciturn personality, and the fact he was a better lacrosse player than a football player at Wesleyan. Grown men have followed Bill for more than 4 decades because he DELIVERS what all players want.

6. And while I don't want to actually get into a "football" discussion, for all its warts and seeming disfunction on offense, the Pats have continued to be "THIS" close to winning an awful lot of football games against football teams that are deemed better than they are talent wise. That's not an accident. The last 2 games are perfect examples that personify this season.
That's just it, isn't it? This team has the talent. Maybe not enough to fully overwhelm and dominate, but they're competitive with a lot of young guys in key spots. Injuries have definitely forced the hand a bit in some keys areas, but the foundation is there to build off of. You've got Schooler waiting in the wings to take over for Slater, Marcus Jones has been forced to the outside (where is stature is a problem) due to injuries, Jack Jones is ready to blossom on the outside, Don't know how we're going to replace McCourty, not sure if the guy is on the roster. But man, watching some of the football games yesterday and seeing the degree of separation guys around the league can get, shows a huge need on Offense. Jonnu and Henry haven't had an impact that warrants their salary, and none of the other receiving options seem to have the ability to be that guy that can get open quickly for a gotta have it, 1st down catch. Lots of work to do on that side of the ball. Fix the OL, overhaul receiving corps, and this team will be far more competitive next year, even with Mac at the helm. Great commentary Ken.

This is Kraft’s business but BB is promoting his sons in nepotistic fashion. No problem if it works.

And it’s not.

Esp when Mayo jumps ship to be DC somewhere else. I anticipate the Krafts being upset.

And this can’t be in 2023: whites as both coordinators and head coach. Just a bad look.

Kraft’s friends at billionaire camp will go tsk-tsk behind his back.

Will drive him nuts.
Yes, it's clearly not working because the defense is the one part of the team performing decently. That's logical.

Yes, it's clearly not working because the defense is the one part of the team performing decently. That's logical.
Just wait until after the season and Mayo threatens to leave unless he’s named DC. This will find the Krafts sympathetic. Going to be a collision course. Kraft dictating to Belichick, using the league’s clearly stated policy to increase minority representation, to push aside Stevie, the de facto DC, and name Mayo the de jure DC.

Cannot, rochrist, have a Giants 1987 all-white coaching staff of head coach and coordinators. Or are you naive to this fact?

I just hope the phony Rooney Rule doesn’t prevent them from getting the right guy in place in time for the pre-draft process (all star games, combine, FA, etc.). They need a properly developed game plan for this offseason. They need two OTs, a true WR1, a boundary CB so they can move Mills to FS, upgrades over their current ILBs, a DT, and an OC2. I think it’s feasible between the draft and FA but they need to move quickly.
This guy gets it. The Patriots will be under the microscope if they hire a white OC with Belichick’s son as the de facto DC.

Politics is going to intrude.

Really got to name Mayo the DC to keep him and get the right guy as OC. Not thinking like this is naive.

I am not saying it’s right or that I agree with it. But Stevie needs to be sacrificed.

Just wait until after the season and Mayo threatens to leave unless he’s named DC. This will find the Krafts sympathetic. Going to be a collision course. Kraft dictating to Belichick, using the league’s clearly stated policy to increase minority representation, to push aside Stevie, the de facto DC, and name Mayo the de jure DC.

Cannot, rochrist, have a Giants 1987 all-white coaching staff of head coach and coordinators. Or are you naive to this fact?
Why would Mayo do that? ken just explained that Bill likes to give guys 3-4 years learning before being given a title. You don't think Mayo knows this being here is whole career? Could be that Bill is going to name him DC next year, or maybe he's being groomed for the HC position when Bill leaves. Whatever it is I'm sure Mayo knows just because we on the outside don't.

This guy gets it. The Patriots will be under the microscope if they hire a white OC with Belichick’s son as the de facto DC.

Politics is going to intrude.

Really got to name Mayo the DC to keep him and get the right guy as OC. Not thinking like this is naive.

I am not saying it’s right or that I agree with it. But Stevie needs to be sacrificed.
Why can't they name Mayo DC and keep Steve?

I count at least 5 other non-white coaches on the staff.

100% For years now everyone has bragged about his intelligence. He's not completely useless, as some of us sometime shout in a kneejerk fashion, and Bill clearly values his input and having him around. This OC thing just isn't working though, and the OL is performing horribly. Don't know what it is, and it's not all on him, but he is definitely part of the problem. Find him a spot that he can still be valuable to the organization and bring someone else in who will get this offense looking like a PRO offense again.

Steve and Mayo would both benefit from going somewhere else. Pains me to say it, but Bill isn't willing to name either one the DC. When things are going good, Bill gets all of the credit, when things are going bad, NEPOTISM!!! Neither one has been given the opportunity to the THE GUY and prove themselves. All this cute **** Bill has been doing with the coaching staff isn't cute anymore.

Bills coaching staff has been getting raided for years now. To his credit, he tried to bring in Schiano, and he appeared to be flirting with Billy O last year, but nothing came to fruition. Whether it's Kraft not willing to pay top dollar to attract more talent, or Bill running his program like a top secret military unit, idk, but once again, something has got to change. Especially when you are trying to rebuild by bringing in a bunch of young guys. You've got to have top notch coaching, and the product we are seeing on the field gives off the impression that they don't have that. The D has had its WTF moments, but is more stable than the Offense and ST's which week in and week out leave you scratching your head. To add to the current problems, I wouldn't be surprised if long time locker room leaders like Slater and McCourty decide to hang them up. That's a lot of leadership leaving Gillette.

Mayo has got to be the guy, right? Have some private conversations with Steve, maybe give him some new responsibilities, but Mayo is a guy the players will respond to. Give him the reigns and let him sink or swim before someone else swoops in and picks him up.

That's just it, isn't it? This team has the talent. Maybe not enough to fully overwhelm and dominate, but they're competitive with a lot of young guys in key spots. Injuries have definitely forced the hand a bit in some keys areas, but the foundation is there to build off of. You've got Schooler waiting in the wings to take over for Slater, Marcus Jones has been forced to the outside (where is stature is a problem) due to injuries, Jack Jones is ready to blossom on the outside, Don't know how we're going to replace McCourty, not sure if the guy is on the roster. But man, watching some of the football games yesterday and seeing the degree of separation guys around the league can get, shows a huge need on Offense. Jonnu and Henry haven't had an impact that warrants their salary, and none of the other receiving options seem to have the ability to be that guy that can get open quickly for a gotta have it, 1st down catch. Lots of work to do on that side of the ball. Fix the OL, overhaul receiving corps, and this team will be far more competitive next year, even with Mac at the helm. Great commentary Ken.
THIS was why I used be a daily regular here. NICE post HR, I really appreciate the effort and thoughts.

People forget just how talented EVERY NFL player is. The basic talent to win football games are on EVERY team, but winning teams are the ones who make just one or two big plays. or one or two fewer mistakes each game. When they won double digit games EVERY year they would win games like the Raiders and Bengals games. The fact is that this team is not QUITE there yet. They are still midway through the 3rd major rebuild and things are JUST off what we saw for the last 20 years. AND you just have to be "just off" a tiny bit to win those tight games rather than lose them. But clearly as fans, we have become completely spoiled by the unprecedented success the 2 dynasties had.
(btw having the GOAT at the most important position for 20 years didn't hurt either.)

For all the crap this coaching staff is getting this year. I look at the players hand how they play. And here's th most important observations I can see.

1. Down 22 points into the 3rd quarter and they were STILL playing hard. Teams that AREN'T coached well simply don't do that. These guy are still believing what they were being told and it was working right up until that "fumble?" inside the Bengals 10

2. One thing of note to remember is that for nearly the ENTIRE 20 year run of the dynasty the Pats were playing in a division that gave them about 4 gimmee games a year within the division. During that run there were rarely years when we had 2 playoff teams in the division. Usually there was one relatively competitive team each year. However, even though the Phins and Jetes are coming back to earth lately, they both have talented rosters, and the Bills are what we used to be talent wise.

Think about Brady and his Bucs have the same 7-8 record we have, but because they play in the WORST division in football they will CLINCH their division with just one win this week. Meanwhile if we just win one game we will likely end up last in the division. Don't forget you not only have to be good, you have to be lucky.

3, As for next year. Just one thing to remember EVERYBODY gets better in the off season, everyone. I'd like to think we will straighten out the OC situation, and regardless of who is named everyone will play it better.

I'd like to think that we add at least 2 FA's (guys who will be signed in the first week) that will add significantly to the And 2 draft picks that will at least be contributors their first year.

But in the end its STILL going to depend on if we are just making one or two more big plays than they do, and one or two FEWER mistakes.

THIS was why I used be a daily regular here. NICE post HR, I really appreciate the effort and thoughts.

People forget just how talented EVERY NFL player is. The basic talent to win football games are on EVERY team, but winning teams are the ones who make just one or two big plays. or one or two fewer mistakes each game. When they won double digit games EVERY year they would win games like the Raiders and Bengals games. The fact is that this team is not QUITE there yet. They are still midway through the 3rd major rebuild and things are JUST off what we saw for the last 20 years. AND you just have to be "just off" a tiny bit to win those tight games rather than lose them. But clearly as fans, we have become completely spoiled by the unprecedented success the 2 dynasties had.
(btw having the GOAT at the most important position for 20 years didn't hurt either.)

For all the crap this coaching staff is getting this year. I look at the players hand how they play. And here's th most important observations I can see.

1. Down 22 points into the 3rd quarter and they were STILL playing hard. Teams that AREN'T coached well simply don't do that. These guy are still believing what they were being told and it was working right up until that "fumble?" inside the Bengals 10

2. One thing of note to remember is that for nearly the ENTIRE 20 year run of the dynasty the Pats were playing in a division that gave them about 4 gimmee games a year within the division. During that run there were rarely years when we had 2 playoff teams in the division. Usually there was one relatively competitive team each year. However, even though the Phins and Jetes are coming back to earth lately, they both have talented rosters, and the Bills are what we used to be talent wise.

Think about Brady and his Bucs have the same 7-8 record we have, but because they play in the WORST division in football they will CLINCH their division with just one win this week. Meanwhile if we just win one game we will likely end up last in the division. Don't forget you not only have to be good, you have to be lucky.

3, As for next year. Just one thing to remember EVERYBODY gets better in the off season, everyone. I'd like to think we will straighten out the OC situation, and regardless of who is named everyone will play it better.

I'd like to think that we add at least 2 FA's (guys who will be signed in the first week) that will add significantly to the And 2 draft picks that will at least be contributors their first year.

But in the end its STILL going to depend on if we are just making one or two more big plays than they do, and one or two FEWER mistakes.
You could make an argument that we're 6-7 plays away from being 11-4, I know you can say that almost every year, and you can go the other way with it, but it seems to stand out this year. If we were 11-4 I think there would be less kvetching on the board this year.

BOB should be brought in as the HC. Bring back Pioli to run football ops & bring back either Brady or Jimmy G.

As long as BB insists on having his son as DC, he can’t hold anyone accountable. He’s lost the edge that made him so successful and it’s time to move on.

What?!?

I'm a big Brady fan but come on..........

Charlie Weis Jr. is the current OC at Ole Miss. Ole Miss had a very good offense. Young and innovative, plus of course still running a variation of the Pats offense.

He spent a pre season with the Pats a few years ago, maybe worth a shot.

Plus of course, it might resurrect NEM from the grave.

What?!?

I'm a big Brady fan but come on..........
I'm wondering when his son was named DC, as far as I knew they didn't name anyone. BTW Patricia hasn't been named OC either.

Nepotism in football? C'mon man. Next thing you'll be telling me that the tax code is blind to who is rich or poor. Anyway, Steve Belichick has shown yearly that he DESERVES to be doing what he's doing for the Pats. But TOO often, perception becomes reality. I have often felt that he'd be well served if he took a DC role elsewhere, in order to carve out a more separate identity.
I believe Steve has said he currently has no plans to do anything other than coach with his father.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back