PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick joins The Big Show and offers a strong defense of RB Laurence Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bill Belichick joins The Big Show and offers a strong defense of RB Laurence Maro

For being a 1st round pick, I was expecting a lot more success from Dancing Glass Joe...

This sentence basically defines the difference between those that think Maroney stinks, and those that think he's a good (not great) RB.

To those that don't like him, his lack of "carrying the load" is a mark against him and to those that support him, it's a team decision to use the RB by committe approach.

Those that don't like him, use his injury history as another mark against him with the whole "made of glass" argument, while completely ignoring the fact that every one one of Dillon, Jordan, Morris, Taylor and Maroney missed significant time due to injury while they were Patriots. In fact, since 2004, only Dillon has made it through a season without missing a game due to injury. LM did miss the most games from a single season at 13 last year due to the shoulder.

I do want him to be productive here though.

I honestly don't know why he would ever be resigned as a Pat, unless he signs for vet min.

We all want him to be productive, those that like him think he already is, those that don't, don't.

LM will sign a new contract at the end of his rookie contract. It WON'T be for vet minimum. It may be as a Pat and it may not. He won't break the bank, but he'll make good money.

Re: Bill Belichick joins The Big Show and offers a strong defense of RB Laurence Maro

Lets discuss the difference between CAUSATION and CORRELATION.

The following are examples of correlation that is incorrectly identified as causation:

(A) Hey I think the exercise of crouching and hiking the ball back to a QB causes male human beings to gain approximately 100 extra pounds

(B) For non-football experts: Listening to the Grateful Dead makes you smoke pot.

The following are examples of causation incorrectly identified as correlation. Oh way, there was just one posted:

(A)
To those that don't like him, his lack of "carrying the load" is a mark against him and to those that support him, it's a team decision to use the RB by committe approach.

Last edited:

This sentence basically defines the difference between those that think Maroney stinks, and those that think he's a good (not great) RB.

Actually that isn't the difference.

Maroney isn't going to be re-signed if he wants starter-level money. That should be all anyone needs to know about how 'good' he is.

Maroney isn't going to be re-signed if he wants starter-level money. That should be all anyone needs to know about how 'good' he is.

Totally agree with this. In fact, people on both sides of the fence probably agree with it.

But I have to ask, what team do you think would offer him starter's money?

Last edited:

not worth it

Last edited:

In my opinion it is, yours opinion is different.

I didn't say he was going to get 'starter' money. I said he would get "good money" in response to the other poster saying he'd get vet minimum.

Thu, 29 Oct 2009 Listen to this edition of Patriots Playbook as guest host Christopher Price from WEEI is joined by PFW's Erik Scalavino.

@ 50mn11
" What do you see ..... what do you make of Laurence Maroney at this stage of the season?"
"He is still an enigma ."
http://searchmedia.patriots.com/m/audio/27148081/patriots-playbook-10-29-2009.htm?pageid=1853

Why, it's just two mediots with their own personal opinions discussing something they have no inside knowledge or informed insight about.

Remember, the entire media like a flock of mindless lemmings pronounced Gutierrez the winner of and KOC the future in the 2007 backup QB sweepstakes, and those two are out of football or hanging on by a thread this season while Cassel led the NEP to 11-5 and thereafter got franchised and traded and signed a $60M deal with KC...

Those that don't like him, use his injury history as another mark against him with the whole "made of glass" argument, while completely ignoring the fact that every one one of Dillon, Jordan, Morris, Taylor and Maroney missed significant time due to injury while they were Patriots. In fact, since 2004, only Dillon has made it through a season without missing a game due to injury. LM did miss the most games from a single season at 13 last year due to the shoulder.

We all want him to be productive, those that like him think he already is, those that don't, don't.

LM will sign a new contract at the end of his rookie contract. It WON'T be for vet minimum. It may be as a Pat and it may not. He won't break the bank, but he'll make good money.

So smart guy, what IS a 1st round pick expected to do then????...

Drink the Jim Jones formula all you want, but, he is a bust.

Fwiw, he may clearly sign on some other team that run blocks well, and turns out a decent career...but, it gonna be for BB.

No offense, but you're the same guy who was absolutely positive that McDaniels was a crap coach who only knew how to call 10 plays. Now that McDaniels has proven himself to be a pretty decent NFL coach at the absolute worst, it appears that Maroney is your new target. You have no idea what kind of contract Maroney will be offered, so stating *anything* that definitively is just dumb. I'd probably call someone on it even if they knew what they were talking about (which you clearly don't). I'm not even stating that you're wrong, necessarily, because I have absolutely no idea what kind of a contract (if any) Maroney will be offered. Pretending that you know, though, is pretty ridiculous. There were a LOT of posters here who were just as certain in 2008 that Maroney wouldn't be a Patriot in 2009... do I need to remind them who they were?

I never claimed that Morris played in the last 2 games, I simply had forgotten he was injured. Considering that Morris playing really wasn't a part of my point it was a quick passing statement. Good job continuing to harp on it and attempt to derail the thread though.

I'm perfectly fine being called out on my errors. Your arrogant tone and inability to get the actual point annoyed me. But you can "guaranty" you are not an idiot all you want...

Not at all worth your time- don't sweat it. Moosekill is just especially pumped because, due to a minor slip on your part, he finally actually has a legitimate point to make. Everyone with a functioning brain already realizes that it was a minor mistake on your part that should have been glossed over without much further discussion.

Last edited:

maroney sucks.

So smart guy, what IS a 1st round pick expected to do then????...

Drink the Jim Jones formula all you want, but, he is a bust.

Fwiw, he may clearly sign on some other team that run blocks well, and turns out a decent career...but, it gonna be for BB.

I wasn't arguing with you (except for the contract part), I was just using your sentence to illustrate what I saw as the difference between the two sides in this debate.

To answer your question tho, a first round pick is expected to do whatever his coaches tell him to do, and do it well. LM, as far as I can see, has done that more often than not.

What you or I expect from him is completely irrelevant.

As for your last sentence, unless you are either of the two of them, you can't make that statement and be taken seriously.

You mean like the Maroney basher who claims he's been a season ticket holder for 17 years but doesn't know that Maroney doesn't get most of his runs from the shotgun formation?

Your aware my entire position is Maroney is better in space and some of his best plays/runs are from it.. (not just including this year.. something u took in account)

this is a great quote from another member

MailBag By Christopher Price

"Hi Chris,
Everyone is down on Maroney, and so am I. But he also has great potential when he gets into the open field — better than [Sammy] Morris, [BenJarvus] Green-Ellis and [Kevin] Faulk. Have there been discussions on trying to use Maroney in a Reggie Bush-type way — as in, getting the ball is his hands in the open field after the line of scrimmage?"
What do you think?

Eric

A: Maroney’s strength is when he’s in the open field — he’s not a traditional between-the-tackles running back — and so you would think that the Patriots are doing all they can do to get Maroney operating in space. In that situation, he’s a truly dangerous offensive presence. However, since his rookie year, Maroney has been ineffective in the passing game — he has just 10 catches since 2006. He talked a little bit about his desire to contribute more in the passing game at the start of the season, but it really hasn’t worked out, at least to this point.

MailBag By Christopher Price

My stance is Maroney is an Average back.. He's the best they have right now.. I don't expect him to ever see Starter Money here.. And he's definitely not the back of the future for this team.

** Averaging 10-12 Posts a day even on holidays and weekends tells me two things.. Get out of the parents basement and find a life mate **

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST