PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick Is Done With Microsoft Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tablets were always optional. They can go back to hard copy photographs at any time (which I am sure they already have).
Then it seems really strange BB is ranting. And almost stranger that the NFL is acting reasonably.

Bill Belichick Is Done With Microsoft Tablets

Could see this one coming a mile away...

Breaking News

Brokerage firm Belichick & Sons just downgraded MSFT from so-so to useless

BB's war against the NFL will never be over...

Will Bill ever let go his hatred for the suits on Park Avenue?

No doubt in my mind that this tablet smashing footage will be a featured exhibit in the Bill Belichick Museum of Football Greatness...next to the original Hoodie....next to his "Coach of the NYJ" resignation letter .......etc etc etc

No doubt in my mind that this tablet smashing footage will be a featured exhibit in the Bill Belichick Museum of Football Greatness...next to the original Hoodie....next to his "Coach of the NYJ" resignation ****tail napkin .......etc etc etc

Fixed your post.

"Letter" does not convey the true contempt that the Rats deserve and received.

So what draft pick do we lose for this?
I love this story ... what we have here is the NFL trying to tell one of the greatest ever how to do his job ... dumb.

iOS shouldn't be in this conversation, since it powers iPhones and iPads. OS X is the correct comparison since it's the desktop operating system. OS X shares a unix heritage with linux, so both are more closely related to each other than to windows.

iOS is Unix as well and uses the same kernel as OS X (now known as macOS). Oh, and macOS does not share a Unix heritage with Linux. macOS is from the BSD family of Unix operating systems, most notably FreeBSD which is what NeXTSTEP (pre eminent OS X) was a fork of.

God damnit we're on a football forum people.

Last edited:
Linux, plus Thunderbird with the Exchange add-on, plus Open or Libre Office configured to always save as MS Office - works for a very large percentage of the average office worker. Where it falls is web apps that rely on .Net. However, terminal servers can fill that role (rather that trying to get IE to run under WINE).

.NET core runs on Linux now. I know: mind. Blown.

.NET core runs on Linux now. I know: mind. Blown.
Not well lol. For some that dont know Im one of the 4 admins at nasa GSFC. We never use windows for anything mission critical. Its a gaming platform and for contractors that dont know anything else. Hard to train a windows user to use anything better. Windows is good for Active Directory/cac/cert also. Nasa uses anything that works. So, all the web servers, internal clients, and on the space station are Mac osx BSD unix, use linux for development, solaris for oracle and heavy lifting. Windows was over with NT and xp.
When I was hired they showed me a paper from stanford on the physiological state of all OS users. Mac and linux users had a rebel side, practical, and a few things more. What I was shocked to see was windows users were shown to be suffering from "Beaten Wemon Syndrome" lol . "I will get better". "They dont mean it", but never moving on to a bettter partner.
Also I was asked on the 1st day " Your stuck on the moon for 2 days until help arives." " You have limited oxygen and no repair potential." "Will you pick the BSD,Windows, Red Hat, Solaris, Mac OSX, or open source Linux/BSD run suit to survive?" No one picked the windows suit.

Not well lol. For some that dont know Im one of the 4 admins at nasa GSFC. We never use windows for anything mission critical. Its a gaming platform and for contractors that dont know anything else. Hard to train a windows user to use anything better. Windows is good for Active Directory/cac/cert also. Nasa uses anything that works. So, all the web servers, internal clients, and on the space station are Mac osx BSD unix, use linux for development, solaris for oracle and heavy lifting. Windows was over with NT and xp.
When I was hired they showed me a paper from stanford on the physiological state of all OS users. Mac and linux users had a rebel side, practical, and a few things more. What I was shocked to see was windows users were shown to be suffering from "Beaten Wemon Syndrome" lol . "I will get better". "They dont mean it", but never moving on to a bettter partner.
Also I was asked on the 1st day " Your stuck on the moon for 2 days until help arives." " You have limited oxygen and no repair potential." "Will you pick the BSD,Windows, Red Hat, Solaris, Mac OSX, or open source Linux/BSD run suit to survive?" No one picked the windows suit.

Over after XP? What was wrong with Windows 7? I am not even gonna question your comments I heard windows dominates the enterprise market.

Operating system market share

This has nothing to do with your comment but windows is still by far the most used OS.

Over after XP? What was wrong with Windows 7? I am not even gonna question your comments I heard windows dominates the enterprise market.

Operating system market share

This has nothing to do with your comment but windows is still by far the most used OS.
Because its hard for them to learn and move on. No one wants to learn and are not well informed. 7 still has , like 8 and 10 significant cache, and centralized registry issuses. Try opening over 60 application windows, browsers tabs with 16 GB ram, for about six months. It wont happen you will crash. Usually I crash within 2 weeks. xp used to go strait to cache before it hit ram.The most sold car is usually not the best. You can do this in the other OS's. I'm not a fan boy of any OS, just use what's the best at the time. Have and iphone, iPad because they work faster, have a windows 10 game rig, Mac Pro for animation and house hold stuff, Linux for a mail server, file share, personal IM, amazon for movies,iTunes for music. Android has to many problems to mess with right now, and mac is only for serious work.
Acccually most desktops will be virtual in 10-15 years, an appliance server like your AC unit in the back of the house. Some will be Amazon,google, AOL( at the forfront of this), mac, windows , and no one will care what the OS is, just that it works. Like your rheem or honeywell AC unit does. I can bet you though that if your TV, oven, or vcr cashed as much as your windows machine has you would have thrown it out the window and never looked back. They need to do alot better and stop being lazy car salesmen.

Last edited:
Sorry, but it's not an accurate rendition of that part of the heritage. Architecture of macOS - Wikipedia gives us:

Bbobbo is not wrong. He posted a graphic that "showing the unix roots of OS X and linux:". What you posted is .... something related to MacOS ... but not that. If you have some other point, you failed to make it.

If you don't know the question, googling the answer is problematic..

Thanks Bbobbo for taking me down memory lane on all the different instantiations of unix I've seen over the years. And Bill, I'll take your OSF/1 and raise you programming a PDP-11 ... with paper tape .... using the Multics OS.

And of course, the name "Multics" is what inspired a later ser of developers to name their OS .... "Unix"

And now you know ... the rest of the story.

This thread has given me the confidence to come out and say something that I've kept inside for a lot of years. Here goes:

I hated Fortran when I learned it as a teenager.

Whew! I feel as if the weight of the world has been lifted off of my shoulders.

I agree.

I think it's simple as to hes fed up with the communications systems and the Surfaces not being reliable and it's mucking up his and his coach's ability to do their jobs.

While I do think he enjoys spanking the league wonks I don't think he intended to do it this time. In fairness the NFL game day techies are just trying to do their jobs. The problem is that they are set up for failure by their bosses.

Michelle Doyle is a visionary. She needs a good tech ops person.
I think I disagree with you there.

All the vision in the world is worthless if you can't make it work in the organization.

Michelle Doyle is the CIO of the NFL. She's no doubt pulling down well into seven figures. To coin a phrase, the buck stops with her. Her league bio gives her credit for bringing the tablets into the game. That means she is responsible for being sure that they not only work, but also work together with the other game day technology.

I've been working at senior levels in companies for more years than I care to admit as employee and consultant.

Ultimately, dysfunction at the operating level is the responsibility of management. In this case, Doyle. If she were worth the money she's being paid, she would have been on an NFL jet with her operations officer to visit Belichick and find out why one of the most important "line managers" in the organization was dissatisfied, with an eye to fixing the problem not blaming the manager.

She'll probably get away with her failure because Goodell seems to be about as useless a CEO as I've ever seen, so he won't make her "do her job."

I think I disagree with you there.

All the vision in the world is worthless if you can't make it work in the organization.

Michelle Doyle is the CIO of the NFL. She's no doubt pulling down well into seven figures. To coin a phrase, the buck stops with her. Her league bio gives her credit for bringing the tablets into the game. That means she is responsible for being sure that they not only work, but also work together with the other game day technology.

I've been working at senior levels in companies for more years than I care to admit as employee and consultant.

Ultimately, dysfunction at the operating level is the responsibility of management. In this case, Doyle. If she were worth the money she's being paid, she would have been on an NFL jet with her operations officer to visit Belichick and find out why one of the most important "line managers" in the organization was dissatisfied, with an eye to fixing the problem not blaming the manager.

She'll probably get away with her failure because Goodell seems to be about as useless a CEO as I've ever seen, so he won't make her "do her job."
I do not think she runs game day ops. What she should have influence over is to pick the right tech that can be stable in functionality and performance that the ops team can implement and support consistently.

With that said if their technology strategy is too aggressive, the tech is too unstable and the customer unhappy, she should be leading the charge to simplify. I doubt she has that influence and this Surface stuff was shoved down her throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST