PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick Has Only Himself To Blame For This Mess On Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
This!

I understand letting go of Meriweather, even at the short-term detriment of the team. But Sanders? Not as talented at Meriwether - but he was the brains back there.

Chung - bless his heart - has potential but he's a hard hitter who still can't cover consistently.

Sergio Brown is a LIABILITY back there.

Josh Barrett - are you kidding me? Still better than Brown, who's a joke.

Indigwhatever - special teams guy.

Yes, this would be the worst in the NFL.

This is why it is vitally important to develop a pass rush. To cover the deficiencies behind them.

I think it's Idigabooger. :p

Because nobody in their right mind thought they'd be cut outright with no viable replacements.

Seriously, no one on here EVER said, "hey, I'm so sick of guys like BM and Sanders, let's just cut them and go with what we have......"

Thanks, but that wasn't the point.

They seem to have really cut back on the blitzing from the exhibition games. Normally, I'd expect that would be the reverse.

Not when you don't trust what's behind the blitz to cover your call... I seem to remember a game one February where we actually blitzed ourselves into the worst possible defeat...because the front 7 including a former all world DE weren't quite getting to the QB or getting reasonable calls when they did and getting torched down the stretcfh by everything from a soon to be unemployed no name receiver with velcro on his helmet to troubled giant who eventually shot his way out of the league whom a midget CB couldn't possibly cover in man if the blitz again failed.

I think it's funny that while Meriweather and Sanders were here, all anyone ever did was ***** about them. But now that they're gone, we all would welcome them back with open arms. Funny how that works.

I think most people who didnt like Meriweather when he was here was assuming Belichick would eventually think the same thing and trade or cut him with the IDEA of getting an adequate replacement in his place
....what we got was 2 scrubs for Safety that would be scraping the bottom of 31 teams practice squads and a STer who looks like he is in a different world when he plays the position.

I think after looking at this sad sack group, the Meriweather bashers are now reconsidering their thoughts and would take Brandon back in a millesecond.

The old saying goes,you don't know what you have until its gone....Meriweather wasn't even close to the class of a Polamalu or Reed, but he wasnt a scrub either.

I would also love to hear the sentiments of DW Toys who hated James Sanders with a passion and wanted him gone.....I bet he feels differently today.

Last edited:
This defense is very exciting to me in a wierd way. Unlike last years team, it seems like we encourage teams to throw deep. But deep passing plays are riskier plays and gives our defense more chances to make a play on the ball instead of constantly defending dink and dunk. Once our secondary gels we may end up with more interceptions than last years squad.

Also, I am excited to see how our defense plays against the raiders, a team that is committed to the run. We may even lose this game, but i think it will be the most benefical game for us on the schedule. Depending on how well we stop the run in this game will probably play a big role in deciding if/when we activate brace and deadrick.

Thanks, but that wasn't the point.

I understand the point. I wanted Merrweather gone too. But maybe after the season until we had a replacement.

Our safety corp with him was mediocre...now its horrible.

I think it's funny that while Meriweather and Sanders were here, all anyone ever did was ***** about them. But now that they're gone, we all would welcome them back with open arms. Funny how that works.

I never said Sanders was a great, but he was smart enough to more often than not, be in the right position. I was pretty shocked they let him go and give the reigns to a guy that is still developing. I was never a fan of Meriweather's.

I think most people who didnt like Meriweather when he was here was assuming Belichick would eventually think the same thing and trade or cut him with the IDEA of getting an adequate replacement in his place
....what we got was 2 scrubs for Safety that would be scraping the bottom of 31 teams practice squads and a STer who looks like he is in a different world when he plays the position.

I think after looking at this sad sack group, the Meriweather bashers are now reconsidering their thoughts and would take Brandon back in a millesecond.

The old saying goes,you don't know what you have until its gone....Meriweather wasn't even close to the class of a Polamalu or Reed, but he wasnt a scrub either.

I would also love to hear the sentiments of DW Toys who hated James Sanders with a passion and wanted him gone.....I bet he feels differently today.

Although I am not happy with what they are left with at safety, I don't think getting rid of Meriweather was a bad thing. Getting rid of him without an adequet replacement was. Meriweather was a below average safety with a Pro Bowl reputation.

I think the biggest mistake the Pats did was not keeping Sanders or resigning Page, not cutting Meriweather. The guy was average and getting worse.

Although I am not happy with what they are left with at safety, I don't think getting rid of Meriweather was a bad thing. Getting rid of him without an adequet replacement was. Meriweather was a below average safety with a Pro Bowl reputation.

I think the biggest mistake the Pats did was not keeping Sanders or resigning Page, not cutting Meriweather. The guy was average and getting worse.

I liked Page as well...I thought he was a very servicable Safety...especially for depth.

These guys we have now aren't even valid depth...let alone being as starters for a Professional football team

The Pass Rush has been an issue for years but we knew that if they could not get to the QB,at least there were some capable veterans in place in the secondary to chase down the WR or TE......Pass Rush is even more important now than it ever was the past 3 years because there is not a QB in this league that given more than 2 seconds will find someone open for a decent gain.

As far as Meriweather goes...yeah he was horrid at tacking but there was one thing he did have and that was intimidation....WRs and TEs knew that if they were to go down the middle of the field in Meriweather's area that they were possibly going to get thier heads taken off....sometimes intimidation gives a safety an upper hand,even if he can't tackle he can get in the mind of a receiver to avoid going that route.

Last edited:
Not when you don't trust what's behind the blitz to cover your call...

Well, sure. But again, it sure looked like the pressure schemes/blitzing in the preseason had the potential to be effective--in fact, were effective. We saw pressure up the middle, Mayo making plays, etc.

I'd like to see at least more of an effort along those lines.

Again, Dunlap is overrated and done nothing this year. If Dunlap brought his zero sacks this year to the Patriots, this defense would be dominant. I was saying yesterday is that the Pats need a guy like Dunlap who can't get to the QB this year. This team is missing a "dominant" pass rusher who is sackless.

People keep on talking about his 9.5 sacks last year yet discounting McCourty's 8 INTs last year. You can't have it both ways. Both players are in the mist of a sophomore slump.

Dunlap was taken the very next pick after Cunningham, McCourty has nothing to do with him.

And who would that person be on the Jets? The Jets had a horrible pass rush last year and they had a top defense. People are so fixated on these dominant pass rushers. The Pats won three Super Bowl without one dominant pass rusher.

Seymour was never a big pass rusher for the Pats other than his last season here and even with his career high in sacks, it wasn't a great year for him. He was good against the pass and required a double team quite a bit, but he was

Did I say the Jets were a Superbowl team? I didn't think so, the Jets won last year because they get away with PI on pretty much every down. Cromartie got 4 PI penalties last week, and they lost.

Willie McGinest, you know the guy who holds the record for most career sacks in the playoffs, says "hi"

Vrabel and McGinest coming off the edge were a fromidale pair, Seymour has to be doubleteamed, which left Willie or Vrabel to rush against a TE.

What was the single biggest play in SB XXXVI? Vrabel hitting Warner which led to Law's pick 6.

The bandwagon door for fairweather fairs is that way. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Seriously, after week three making these proclaimations?!?

Yeah, Gronkowski, Chung, Hernandez, McCourty, Mesko, Vollmer, etc. have been complete wastes. Let's offer Gronkowski to the Jets for Aaron Maybin straight up and hope they will be willing to make such a stupid trade.

Please tell me how this defense is going to get better? Is barret suddenly not going to s&*k? Will some yet unknown undrfted Free agent turn into Bruce Smith?

The Pats have had more than twenty first and second and third round picks in the last few years and only have Mayo, Gronkowski, Vollmer, Chung, McCourty, Vollmer and maye Solder to show for it.

On the other hand we have this list of all-stars:
Merriweather
Wheatley
Butler
McKenzie
Cunningham
Brace
Tate
Crable
O'Connell
Maroney
Jackson
Thomas

That's 7 starters and 12 busts, in the first three rounds.

Ted you're 1000% right. But Mo Lewis doesn't want to hear the truth he wants to sit there on his couch or in the stands mumbling to himself, "In Bill We Trust," "In Bill We Trust". Some people just don't want to admit the truth. I have noticed though that more and more on the message board are coming around. And you have to realize certain people can never be convinced of the most obvious details.

This must be the most lopsided team to grace the field over a five year span. The defense is as bad as the offense is good, thats just unusual.

signing OchoFinnesso made it official we're the "Back Street Boys" of the NFL.

BB's been hanging out w Bon Jovi to long. Maybe Angry Andy Hart was right, they've intentionally built a pure passing finesse team and should be proud of it, just shut up and enjoy them. lol, I know he's nuts but what can you say after 5 years of glamour ball.

I'm expecting BB to explode in a fit of rage and make some good decisions.

Can we win a SB w this band, oops I meant team. Go Pats!!!

Last edited:
The Patriots should fire Belichik and Hire Rex Ryan, he's a players coach who can motivate a defense.

Oh damn, the Jets got smacked by the Raiders, screw Ryan the game has passed him by, the Patriots should fire Belichik and hire Jim Schwartz, he maximizes his top 5 picks and can motivate a defense.................................

Brady just threw 4 picks, he sucks, the game has clearly passed him by, the patriots should cut him and sign Mathew Stafford, he's awesome and the game won't pass him by for at least a month.................

I can't wait for the Bruins to start up, their awesome, unless they lose, then they will suck, but at least they can fire Claude, the game has clearly passed him by....................

As a guy who raised the red flag weeks ago and was dealt with by the kool aid drinkers in the usual fashion...I'm glad more like minded folks are speaking up.

These aren't attacks on the team or its staff...it's fear by fans who are seeing a negative trend.

With true greatness comes eccentricity. Belichick is a great football mind but also as quirky and eccentric as they come.

I worry that the eccentricity has taken over. Many draft/personnel moves have been head scratchers.

Our defense is bad becuse our talent is either subpar or past it's prime.

I think he needs to get back to being a coach. He needs to upgrade his
coaching staff. He needs to get someone else to buy the groceries.

I blame the cheerleaders...

As a guy who raised the red flag weeks ago and was dealt with by the kool aid drinkers in the usual fashion...I'm glad more like minded folks are speaking up.

These aren't attacks on the team or its staff...it's fear by fans who are seeing a negative trend.

With true greatness comes eccentricity. Belichick is a great football mind but also as quirky and eccentric as they come.

I worry that the eccentricity has taken over. Many draft/personnel moves have been head scratchers.

Our defense is bad becuse our talent is either subpar or past it's prime.

I think he needs to get back to being a coach. He needs to upgrade his
coaching staff. He needs to get someone else to buy the groceries.

you nailed it there.. couldn't have said it better. Now don't tell me if I don't like what I see, I should go do something else. ITS NOT GONNA HAPPEN :rolleyes:

On the other hand we have this list of all-stars:
Merriweather
Wheatley
Butler
McKenzie
Cunningham
Brace
Tate
Crable
O'Connell
Maroney
Jackson
Thomas

Is it your contention that every player on this list is a bust?

I also think this is spot on. I think this fear is leading to some irrational reactions by posters that need to have a bit more patience.

Ted you're 1000% right. But Mo Lewis doesn't want to hear the truth he wants to sit there on his couch or in the stands mumbling to himself, "In Bill We Trust," "In Bill We Trust". Some people just don't want to admit the truth. I have noticed though that more and more on the message board are coming around. And you have to realize certain people can never be convinced of the most obvious details.

The Truth? What is this truth? Are you saying Belichick should be fired? It is unlikely that he is going to change tremendously, so if you don't think his actions are trustworthy then you must be advocating that he should be fired, right?

What exactly are you saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore