PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Big News Masking Patriots Offseason Success

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to believe a 6.5 sack guy like Fanene could be signed at such a modest cost. Now if only Pryor could stay healthy.

Interior pressure is the key since that actually works against elite offenses.

I'm a huge believer in Myron Pryor myself, and although we've only seen a somewhat limited sample size due to his injuries, I believe that there are a lot of people looking past him and forgetting about his return.

The key of course, will be--as you said, whether or not he can stay healthy.

I'm much more concerned about Brace personally, he's the one I think may be on the bubble this year.

so the pats let BJGE walk with too much fuss.....and that means they are better now because you say ridley is more talented (with a penchant for dropping the ball) and you like vereen? LOL.....reality

Not sure that we can really fault Ridley too much for giving up ONE fumble in his rookie season, can we?

By all accounts, he looked pretty good when we saw him run. There's reason for optimism there, especially with a 2nd yr to prepare.

Vereen's certainly more reason for optimism, as he is a high draft pick who will be an addition to the team; the same can be said for Dowling.

I can see your reasons for not being overly excited, but I don't see as many negatives as you do, and after all--the team do go to the SB last yr. I'm not seeing all of these downgrades that you are.

Last edited:
Ridley fumbled twice, in 2 consecutive games. That's why his ass never left the bench in the POs.
Unfortunately, even knowing that he wasn't going to play Ridley, Bill still unfathomably didn't dress Kevin Faulk in yet another SB loss, just as he didn't dress Troy Brown in the last one. Karma.

Ridley fumbled twice, in 2 consecutive games. That's why his ass never left the bench in the POs.
Unfortunately, even knowing that he wasn't going to play Ridley, Bill still unfathomably didn't dress Kevin Faulk in yet another SB loss, just as he didn't dress Troy Brown in the last one. Karma.

Re-read my comment, Cap'n.

Ridley lost ONE fumble this year.

If we're going to pick apart a rookie for losing a fumble then we may as well just give up now.

I agree with your thoughts about not dressing Faulk or Brown. No doubt. I also didn't like the idea of starting Tracey White in the SB either, but apparently Belichick felt it was the better move. I suppose there will always be situations that we don't agree with, but in hindsight seem to make some sense down the road.

For all we know, the decision not to dress Faulk likely led to another area (likely CB) where someone was active. I suppose Ridley was just a backup plan if Woody or BJGE went down, and that does make some sense.

(Off-topic: Have you been able to see the new brewery up there in Hershey yet? I'm wondering if it's worth a tour)

Last edited:
CURRENT 7 DL
Wilfork, Deaderick, Fanene, Love
Pryor, Brace, Harrison/Slivestro

There is plenty of room for upgrade. In other years, all but Wilfork could be considered "on the bubble".
=================================================
As it is, the open question is how many rookies can be absorbed in the front 7. After all, we might want to consider a rookie ILB upgrade, given the injuries to our ILB's last year and the lack of coverage skills. And, of course, Scott for Anderson is likely not an even swap. We have Ninkovich, Scott, Cunningham and Carter.
==================================================
We could use as many as SIX upgrades in the front seven (3 DL, 2 OLB, 1 ILB). This is NOT a one year project. We can only absorb so many, especially since we are likely to add another 2 defensive backs.
===================================================
The secondary project is now well on track. We will continue to draft a couple of defensive backs each year. For me, that is a reasonable plan. This especially works if a couple of players can play both safety and corner.

I'm a huge believer in Myron Pryor myself, and although we've only seen a somewhat limited sample size due to his injuries, I believe that there are a lot of people looking past him and forgetting about his return.

The key of course, will be--as you said, whether or not he can stay healthy.

I'm much more concerned about Brace personally, he's the one I think may be on the bubble this year.

CURRENT 7 DL
Wilfork, Deaderick, Fanene, Love
Pryor, Brace, Harrison/Slivestro

There is plenty of room for upgrade. In other years, all but Wilfork could be considered "on the bubble".
=================================================
As it is, the open question is how many rookies can be absorbed in the front 7. After all, we might want to consider a rookie ILB upgrade, given the injuries to our ILB's last year and the lack of coverage skills. And, of course, Scott for Anderson is likely not an even swap. We have Ninkovich, Scott, Cunningham and Carter.
==================================================
We could use as many as SIX upgrades in the front seven (3 DL, 2 OLB, 1 ILB). This is NOT a one year project. We can only absorb so many, especially since we are likely to add another 2 defensive backs.
===================================================
The secondary project is now well on track. We will continue to draft a couple of defensive backs each year. For me, that is a reasonable plan. This especially works if a couple of players can play both safety and corner.

There's no reason not to expect some decent help in the front 7 with four high picks in the first 63 selections. We have lost Mark Anderson, and his 10 sacks. We should be able to replace most of those with scheme and collective play as a unit.

I am a huge fan of a DT pick, and also an edge rusher. I would also think that Belichick will add at least one more DL who is worth something before the draft.

Wilfork
Love
Deaderick
Pryor
High round draft pick (1st or 2nd rounder)
And likely a proven vet (possibly a guy like Castillo, although someone else)

Those are the top 6 spots. The top 5 get the majority of the reps, but I included another in case of injury. There's 6 guys for 5 spots.

Fanane
Brace
Harrison
Another possible draft pick or FA signing (someone will be certainly there)

can be included for competition

------LB's:

I would consider it a high possibility that an edge rusher is finally taken. The need is too great, and the draft is deep for this position (front 7)

Andre Carter
Cunningham
Ninkovich
Markell Carter
High round draft pick
Scott

That's 6 guys for a total of 4 likely roster positions (OLB). I would assume that Ninkovich, Carter, a high round draft pick (1st or 2nd round), and Cunningham will be the odds on favorites for those 4 positions. There's no reason for me to believe that it will be the huge weakness that some believe.

------Secondary:

In my opinion, there's a huge improvement here already. We have seen a huge improvement just from getting Brown, Molden, and Ihedigbo off the field. McCourty has shown that he can play next to Chung if/when needed.

The versatility is there for the following players to play BOTH CB and S:

Dowling (will be used on the outside to upgrade Arrington, who will also improve the slot CB position himself)
McCourty
Moore (10 passes defended in only 6 games started...that's remarkable)
Allen
Gregory

There's also the potential for another draft choice, more likely at safety than CB in my opinion...but it could also be a player who is versatile too and can play both.

With the above mentioned players being able to provide (hopefully) a better combination than last yr, Belichick has now given himself the ability to mix and match up the secondary to his liking. This also helps tremendously with roster planning, as we can even possibly use a total of 9 rather than 10, although that is probably doubtful.

Not mentioned above are Arrington, who should be improving the slot CB position, and also Chung---who could be argued as our 2 biggest 'stars' in the secondary right now anyway, despite their weaknesses in certain areas.

In my opinion, this could shape up to be a fine defense, solid up the middle (Wilfork, Spikes/Mayo, Chung) with an upgrade in the secondary (our biggest weakness, which has been highly addressed with versatility). One/Two front 7 players can make all the difference in the world.

Last edited:
There's no reason not to expect some decent help in the front 7 with four high picks in the first 63 selections. We have lost Mark Anderson, and his 10 sacks. We should be able to replace most of those with scheme and collective play as a unit.

I am a huge fan of a DT pick, and also an edge rusher. I would also think that Belichick will add at least one more DL who is worth something before the draft.

Wilfork
Love
Deaderick
Pryor

Those are the top 6 spots. The top 5 get the majority of the reps, but I included another in case of injury. There's 6 guys for 5 spots.

Fanane
Brace
Harrison

can be included for competition

------LB's:

I would consider it a high possibility that an edge rusher is finally taken. The need is too great, and the draft is deep for this position (front 7)

Andre Carter
Cunningham
Ninkovich
Markell Carter
High round draft pick
Scott

That's 6 guys for a total of 4 likely roster positions (OLB). I would assume that Ninkovich, Carter, a high round draft pick (1st or 2nd round), and Cunningham will be the odds on favorites for those 4 positions. There's no reason for me to believe that it will be the huge weakness that some believe.

------Secondary:

In my opinion, there's a huge improvement here already. We have seen a huge improvement just from getting Brown, Molden, and Ihedigbo off the field. McCourty has shown that he can play next to Chung if/when needed.

Dowling (will be used on the outside to upgrade Arrington, who will also improve the slot CB position himself)
McCourty
Allen
Gregory

There's also the potential for another draft choice, more likely at safety than CB in my opinion...but it could also be a player who is versatile too and can play both.

With the above mentioned players being able to provide (hopefully) a better combination than last yr, Belichick has now given himself the ability to mix and match up the secondary to his liking. This also helps tremendously with roster planning, as we can even possibly use a total of 9 rather than 10, although that is probably doubtful.

Not mentioned above are Arrington, who should be improving the slot CB position, and also Chung---who could be argued as our 2 biggest 'stars' in the secondary right now anyway, despite their weaknesses in certain areas.

In my opinion, this could shape up to be a fine defense, solid up the middle (Wilfork, Spikes/Mayo, Chung) with an upgrade in the secondary (our biggest weakness, which has been highly addressed with versatility). One/Two front 7 players can make all the difference in the world.

The Patriots need a DT, DE, OLB, S, and CB at the very minimum. They must have a very prodictive draft. I guess I'm stating the obvious, but when you lay it out there like you did, it really emphasizes it.

IMHO, you are setting yourself up for serious disappointment if you believe that it is "obvious" that me "must have a very productive draft" at 5 different positions. I think it unreasonable to have such expectations. The draft just isn't all that reliable.

The Patriots need a DT, DE, OLB, S, and CB at the very minimum. They must have a very prodictive draft. I guess I'm stating the obvious, but when you lay it out there like you did, it really emphasizes it.

The highest priority in my opinion is front 7. I would like 2 selections there before the third round. The next in line would be the secondary, where I would also like to see a pick. That would make a world of difference with this team, and be my 'best case scenario' for the draft. I guarantee you that you will not see BOTH secondary positions addressed, that is highly unlikely.

Remember that free agency/roster cuts will take us deep into the summer, so that will help with depth and competition.

If you're expecting the next coming of the '85 Bears, you will be very disappointed. If you're expecting the realistic expectation of improving the defense's biggest weakness (pass defense), while keeping the pass rush and the run defense the same or mildly improved, you may be very happy.

There's no reason to think this defense will take steps backwards, at least not in my opinion. They may not move ahead as much as we would like, but they have the potential to shave off a point a game average. That would put them in the top 12 in defensive scoring, and give the team as a whole a very good shot at moving into a deep playoff run.

Last edited:
Re-read my comment, Cap'n.

Ridley lost ONE fumble this year.

If we're going to pick apart a rookie for losing a fumble then we may as well just give up now.

I agree with your thoughts about not dressing Faulk or Brown. No doubt. I also didn't like the idea of starting Tracey White in the SB either, but apparently Belichick felt it was the better move. I suppose there will always be situations that we don't agree with, but in hindsight seem to make some sense down the road.

For all we know, the decision not to dress Faulk likely led to another area (likely CB) where someone was active. I suppose Ridley was just a backup plan if Woody or BJGE went down, and that does make some sense.

(Off-topic: Have you been able to see the new brewery up there in Hershey yet? I'm wondering if it's worth a tour)

It wasn't really starting Tracy White that got my goat; I knew he'd probably be on some LB packages anyway. It was activating the useless trash of Mal Williams & Sergio Brown instead of Faulk. Inexcusable.

(p.s.: I haven't been to the new Troegs place yet. I talked to a couple of guys who know the owners there, and suggested that they buy the Sunday Ticket for the 2012 season.)

Wilfork
Love
Deaderick
Pryor
I'm not sold on the injury prone Myron Pryor. Castillo re-signed with the San Diego Chargers. With regard to unrestricted free agency, there only remains bread crumbs.

Those are the top 6 spots. The top 5 get the majority of the reps, but I included another in case of injury.
With a first round pick, I envision four defensive lineman not six defensive lineman. The New England Patriots will need to double dip on five technique defensive lineman (1st Round, 4th Round, for example) in the 2012 NFL Draft.

There's 6 guys for 5 spots.
Only if the New England Patriots double dip on five technique defensive lineman in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Fanane
Brace
Harrison

can be included for competition.
Ron Brace has been a major disappointment and Marcus Harrison is a joke. Another unrestricted free agent signing would not upgrade the New England Patriots defense at this juncture (April 4, 2012).

3-4 Defensive Base Alignment

NT - Wilfork, Love, Brace
DE - Deaderick , Fanene, First Round Draft Pick, Fourth Round Draft Pick

Last edited:
------LB's:

Andre Carter
Cunningham
Ninkovich
Markell Carter
High round draft pick
Scott

First, I'm not sold on Andre Carter returning and if Andre Carter returns, I'm not sold on his productivity returning from torn left quadriceps at the age of 33.

Second, Markell Carter has yet to play a down in the NFL, and I'm not sold on a Division II sixth round draft pick.

Thus, the New England Patriots will mostly rely on Ninkovich, Scott, Cunningham at the 3-4 outside linebacker position along with most likely a 2012 NFL first or second round draft selection (#27 or #31 or #48).

I'm not sold on the injury prone Myron Pryor. Castillo re-signed with the San Diego Chargers. With regard to unrestricted free agency, there only remains bread crumbs.

With a first round pick, I envision four defensive lineman not six defensive lineman. The New England Patriots will need to double dip on five technique defensive lineman (1st Round, 4th Round, for example) in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Only if the New England Patriots double dip on five technique defensive lineman in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Ron Brace has been a major disappointment and Marcus Harrison is a joke. Another unrestricted free agent signing would not upgrade the New England Patriots defense at this juncture (April 4, 2012).

3-4 Defensive Base Alignment

NT - Wilfork, Love, Brace
DE - Deaderick , Fanene, First Round Draft Pick, Fourth Round Draft Pick

I'm not 'sold' on Pryor either, but his addition is certainly better for the team and adds another potential body. When he's played and been healthy, he's shown something as an interior rusher.

Although Castillo is gone now, there will be plenty of other team cuts and roster moves that will open up towards the summertime.

Brace and Harrison are nothing more than camp fodder or increased competition. I agree that I don't want to see them starting.

I still don't see all of the downgrades and losses from this 2011 version, where the secondary was the biggest weakness. With an improved secondary, why would we take steps backwards?

As of early April (and really, these talks are silly at this juncture, but we have nothing else to talk about):

--Wilfork, Deaderick, Love, Pryor, (1st or 2nd round pick) = 5
--Mayo, Spikes, Fletcher, White, Cunningham, Ninkovich, A.Carter, Scott, (1st or 2nd round pick) = 9
--Dowling, McCourty, Arrington, Moore, Allen, Chung, Gregory (some type of draft pick at safety) = 8

That's 22 right there....and that's :

1. Not including guys like Fanane, Harrison, Brace, M.Carter, M.Williams, Cole etc

2. Not taking into acct the strong guarantee of adding players via team cuts or additional free agents

3. Not taking into acct any trades

4. Not taking into acct any more than 2 front seven players (out of 5 picks in the first 3 rounds)

5. Any additional draft picks who will make the team, which includes other high picks (3 more high picks in rounds 1-3) + any other draft picks in general in rounds 1-7

6. Not taking the Edelman or Slater situations into acct, who may be labled as defenders and are going to make the team. There's a possibility of at least one of them being labled on defense

----

So, with 22 players pretty much being locked in at the moment, just HOW MANY more players do you see on defense that can't be addressed via the additional high picks, roster cuts in August, trades, and free agency?

Maybe 2 or 3 players, LOL???

I think we'll be just fine dude.

Last edited:
------Secondary:

I hate to break the news, Sergio Brown is still on the roster.

McCourty
Allen
None of the aforementioned players have shown the ability to play safety for a sixteen game schedule in the NFL.

In the meantime, Gregory is a backup not a starting safety.

The safety position is in dire need of upgrade and a 2012 NFL Draft double dip is in order. Josh Barrett and Sergio Brown are not the answer nor are reliable backups.

I hate to break the news, Sergio Brown is still on the roster.

None of the aforementioned players have shown the ability to play safety for a sixteen game schedule in the NFL.

In the meantime, Gregory is a backup not a starting safety.

The safety position is in dire need of upgrade and a 2012 NFL Draft double dip is in order. Josh Barrett and Sergio Brown are not the answer nor are reliable backups.

Although Brown is on the roster, he only saw action in the most dire of needs. That is why I included him with the thought of not seeing the field too much on defense. I used the term "getting him off the field," and I still believe that it stands.

Gregory (or one of the CB's) can play FS. He signed a mid term pact here, so they are likely going to play him somewhere. I agree that an upgrade would be great.

The thought of taking 2 safeties is great with me, although I would remind you that even 1st round pick Meriweather didn't see too much playing time until we was slowly blended in throughout the year.

Even in the Chung situation, he only started one game; although he did play a lot more than Meriweather. Chung did have 1 INT and 1 pass defended in his rookie year, so he did contribute.

I'm not sure that we'll see the starter opposite of Chung that so many seem to assume, but nonetheless the safety position does need immediate addressing.

Last edited:

I think we can say that with just about anyone in the NFL, besides the solid long term vets who have proven they can get through the season without getting injured.

McCourty may be able to play FS. I don't see why he's injury prone? Even if he did get injured, there's no reason to believe that a guy like McCourty, Allen, or Moore couldn't at least play in the majority of games.

I would guess that Belichick will continue to address the safety position, but I would also not be too disappointed if that draft pick didn't play nearly as much as we'd like.

It really is nothing more than speculation that 5 months prior to the season we are trying to figure out what will happen.

My point is that I am sure Belichick will be able to field a team.

On top of that, I believe that he will also have that team be competitive.

The bar wasn't set too highly last year, so I don't see any reason to think they will actually go backwards.

I'm not 'sold' on Pryor either, but his addition is certainly better for the team and adds another potential body. When he's played and been healthy, he's shown something as an interior rusher.
Myron Pryor has totaled one sack in his entire career.

Myron Pryor, DT for the New England Patriots at NFL.com

Although Castillo is gone now, there will be plenty of other team cuts and roster moves that will open up towards the summertime.
The team cuts will most likely result in far worse talent than when the New England Patriots cut down to 53.

Brace and Harrison are nothing more than camp fodder or increased competition. I agree that I don't want to see them starting.
Marcus Harrison is training camp fodder. Ron Brace is making his last stand.

I still don't see all of the downgrades and losses from this 2011 version, where the secondary was the biggest weakness.
Interior pass rush is a concern.

With an improved secondary, why would we take steps backwards?
Will Allen is not a major upgrade to the defensive secondary. Steve Gregory is not a major upgrade to the defensive secondary. At best, the two aforementioned players are backups in the defensive secondary.

As of early April (and really, these talks are silly at this juncture, but we have nothing else to talk about):

--Wilfork, Deaderick, Love, Pryor, (1st or 2nd round pick) = 5
--Mayo, Spikes, Fletcher, White, Cunningham, Ninkovich, A.Carter, Scott, (1st or 2nd round pick) = 9
--Dowling, McCourty, Arrington, Moore, Allen, Chung, Gregory (some type of draft pick at safety) = 8
Andre Carter has yet to re-sign with the New England Patriots. Tracy White is strictly a special teams player. Nobody has any idea what Trevor Scott or Jermaine Cunningham will bring to the table for the New England Patriots in 2012. Which Devin McCourty will show up in 2012? Can Ras-I Dowling stay healthy in 2012?

That's 22 right there....and that's :

1. Not including guys like Fanane, Harrison, Brace, M.Carter, M.Williams, Cole etc
Fanene and Brace will most likely make the 53 man roster, unless in the case of Brace, the New England Patriots draft a nose tackle later on this month. Malcolm Williams is strictly a special teams player and will most likely be cut in favor of either Marquice Cole or Sergio Brown.

2. Not taking into acct the strong guarantee of adding players via team cuts or additional free agents
The New England Patriots need to improve the defense not maintain the status quo.

3. Not taking into acct any trades
You mean like Derrick Burgess or Albert Haynesworth? No thanks on the trades, the New England Patriots need to rebuild thru the draft.

4. Not taking into acct any more than 2 front seven players (out of 5 picks in the first 3 rounds)
The New England Patriots need to rebuild thru the draft.

5. Any additional draft picks who will make the team, which includes other high picks (3 more high picks in rounds 1-3) + any other draft picks in general in rounds 1-7
The New England Patriots need to rebuild thru the draft.

6. Not taking the Edelman or Slater situations into acct, who may be labled as defenders and are going to make the team. There's a possibility of at least one of them being labled on defense.
I don't really care about labels, I care about improving the defense. Neither Slater nor Edelman will improve the defense.

So, with 22 players pretty much being locked in at the moment, just HOW MANY more players do you see on defense that can't be addressed via the additional high picks, roster cuts in August, trades, and free agency?

Maybe 2 or 3 players, LOL???

I think we'll be just fine dude.
Try 5 to 6.

McCourty may be able to play FS. I don't see why he's injury prone? Even if he did get injured, there's no reason to believe that a guy like McCourty, Allen, or Moore couldn't at least play in the majority of games.
New England Patriots do not play SS and FS but split safeties. I don't see how Devin McCourty and Will Allen could physically hold up to a sixteen game schedule when Chung is unable to. At the age of 33, Will Allen is more insurance against injury during training camp and preseason at the cornerback position, specifically slot cornerback.

I would guess that Belichick will continue to address the safety position, but I would also not be too disappointed if that draft pick didn't play nearly as much as we'd like.
Tell that to Eugene Wilson during the 2003 NFL Season.

My point is that I am sure Belichick will be able to field a team.
So will 31 other teams.

On top of that, I believe that he will also have that team be competitive.
The New England Patriots offense is loaded for bear. The New England Patriots defense have alot of question marks.

The bar wasn't set too highly last year, so I don't see any reason to think they will actually go backwards.
The New England Patriots defense, especially the pass defense, hit rock bottom last season. Can the defense get any worse?

Well, Tip--I don't have the time or energy to keep rebracketing the quotes and break each comment down, attorney style, but I guess some will see the glass 1/2 full while others see it 1/2 empty.

The fact that the secondary has improved (whether or not you agree with the upgrades of W.Allen or Gregory doesn't matter, they are better than Ihedigbo and Brown) should make a lot of difference. You also have to remember that Dowling, Chung, and Moore played very small portions of the season; those 3 players alone (not taking Gregory or Allen into acct) will improve the secondary.

You keep listing all of these big needs and losses etc (interior rush etc) that changed from last yr...all I see is the loss of one player--M.Anderson. How can the defense possibly be worse than last year? And for what reason? All you're doing is listing the pessimistic side of unknowns. Will McCourty be better? Will there be interior pressure? Will there be a better safety? We saw all of these questions answered with a resounding NO last yr, yet we still went to the Super Bowl.

You speak of Pryor's lack of sacks, yet Wilfork himself didn't have more than a couple/few sacks in his first 3 seasons, so that doesn't exactly tell the whole story. Myron Pryor has potential to cause pressure on the QB. We've seen it. He may contribute, and he may not. He may spend another yr on IR. His addition certainly cannot hurt, and that's my point.

There are additions, high draft pick potential, and improvements that have been/will be made from last yr; and that should make a difference.

We can all agree that the defense was lackluster last yr, with the exception of their last 4-5 games. As I said, the bar was low--yet (gasp) they played well enough to allow the strength of their team to take them to the SB, mainly by holding the other team to 20 pts or less. I'm not sure why you'd be hitting the panic button now?

And one more thing...if you are counting on the production of 5-6 draft picks you must honestly be smoking something. I listed a realistic wish list of 2 front seven players...that's it. If there's any secondary help, then all the better. As pointed out by multiple posters, 5-6 more players via the draft is not a realistic expectation. How can you say that "there will be no talent" from other teams' roster cuts, when there are many guys every year who are cut that go on to work out fine? You seem to have this idea that as FA continues on, there are no options at improving the team b/c the "big named" players are gone. That's not even close to the case. There are plenty of options, and the team will likely spend to the cap and fill the needs. They somehow find a way every yr.

Assessing the teams' weakness before the draft, trades, roster cuts, or less than one month into FA with 5 months+ until the season starts is not going to put your perspective in too good of a place.

As I said, BB will field a competitive team. Your response was 'that every team would,' yet why is it that we're the most successful team in the NFL over the past 11 yrs?

As noted, if you're expecting some miraculous transformation on defense, then you may as well pick another team or hobby to follow...it's not realistic. If you can expect the defense to improve in its weakest area, and remain status quo for some of the others, then the potential is there to shave off a point or so from the average. That would keep them in the top 15, and put them in the top 12. I don't know what else you're expecting?

Last edited:
And one more thing...if you are counting on the production of 5-6 draft picks you must honestly be smoking something.
Revert back to the 2003 NFL Draft:

Ty Warren - rotational defensive lineman/started 4/16 games
Eugene Wilson - starting free safety 15/16 games
Bethel Johnson - primary kick returner
Asante Samuel - starting slot cornerback
Dan Koppen - starting center 15/16 games

In 2003, five rookies contributed to the success of the New England Patriots as either a starter, a rotational player, or special teams player.

In the 2012 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots have four picks in the top 62 as opposed to the standard three picks in the top 96.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back