PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2024 QB/PTP Thread

I know it's the 3rd time I've typed the words below, but this would be the best realistically possible outcome, because it is a 100% lead-pipe lock that Chicago and Only Chicago is taking a QB at #1 and the District and Only the District is taking a QB at #2:

I really Really REALLY hope that Williams & Daniels go 1-2.

I think you will be getting your wish. Do you want Maye at 3?

Covering their bases if they are given a tantalizing “boatload” to trade down.

The team needs to trade down to fill the enormous talent deficits. Start video at 14:37. RGIII says Penix is the best pure passer.

The fact it’s likely JJ McCarthy will be drafted ahead of guys like Penix and even my man Spencer Rattler shows how skewed the process is. The Washington offense went through Penix; the Michigan offense went through its offensive line. It’s really that simple.

But RGIII calls JJM a “winner”.
JJ McCarthy is a winner and has shown he can do what the other QBs in this draft class can do despite not being asked to do it a lot at @UMichFootball. NFL execs have told me they love that he spent 3 years in an NFL structure under Jim Harbaugh
RGIII speaks truth. The sleeper/steal of the draft? Spencer Rattler who has arm talent “ up the wahzoo” and never complained about his leaky OL.

Last edited:
Great story, almost Shakespearean, on Spencer Rattler, the guy with a complicated past, maturity issues, and, goddamn, I’m telling you the truth, Patrick Mahomes’s arm.

In a guy likely available in the third round! You got to be kidding, right?

The new, mature Rattler—it was too easy to hate him when he was pouting like a ***** when Caleb Williams came in and performed a miracle against Texas—is almost too good to be true.

If it weren’t for what happened at Oklahoma, this kid is easily a first round prospect.

Reviewing film on Maye, who is the slightly better prospect to Rattler, one can see his leaky interior of the OL and some of the dancing, inept receivers. His tackles were solid, though. This is the full video link in the entry above.

But then I watch South Carolina run a _much_ stupider scheme in the video in this entry. It’s bad.

Receivers, what are they doing? Eight man max protect against Florida, so three receivers are covered by eight defenders?! The frustration must have been simmering inside Rattler. No one is open. But he seems to have learned from his Oklahoma days not to point fingers.

And the RT, 77, for South Carolina is abysmal. Epically bad. And the interior looks at least as bad as UNC’s. So a worse OL going against a tougher SEC than what UNC faced. No wonder they had 14 different starters.

So it’s Rattler playing hero ball: taking off where he is surprisingly effective for a slow Combine 40 of 4.92. Or throw to his one—his one and only—receiver, Xavier Legette.

The one 55 yard pass off his back foot with pressure in his face—that’s legit Mahomes-type arm talent.

These two are going to thrive in a better system (Rattler) or not being the sole focus of the defense (Legette).

I can see a team like the Raiders picking SR and the Bills XL.

I’m telling you both guys are first or second round talents. I don’t care what anyone else says.

And we should consider trading down to accumulate picks in the top 150. We have needs. More than most.

Last edited:
The Athletic - How do the top NFL Draft quarterback prospects rate in intangibles? Scouts weigh in

The Athletic spoke to eight NFL talent evaluators to understand how these players’ immeasurables are perceived. The immeasurables were broken down into football character, toughness, poise and processing. The sources were granted anonymity and asked to rate each player in each category on a 1-5 scale, with five being the best. Then each player was given a cumulative score.

1. JJ McCarthy, 137.5 points

In football character, McCarthy had a perfect score, which made him the only prospect with a perfect score in any category.
Scout 5 said the lack of throws was a non-issue for him because McCarthy did so well with the throws he made. One pointed out that in the three years Jim Harbaugh coached Andrew Luck at Stanford, Luck finished 79th, 37th and 40th in pass attempts. Luck had 122 more attempts than McCarthy in their college careers.
Scout 2 believes McCarthy processes the game better than the other five and said he was calm amid chaos on the field.

2. Jayden Daniels, 136.5 points

Daniels received the most points for poise and processing and the second most for toughness.
Scout 7: “You never saw him frenetic or frantic. He made good decisions. … You can see his eyes going through the progressions, going where they are supposed to go.”
Scout 2: “He had to win over an entire locker room at LSU after it didn’t end well at Arizona State, and he did it.”

3. Drake Maye, 130.5 points

There were interesting contrasts in Maye’s scores. He had the most points for toughness and the second most for football character but came in last in poise and processing.
Scout 6: “He wants to be great. He’s a high achiever, and he understands what it takes. He’s wired the right way.”
Scout 1: “He’s a junkie in the film room. He loves ball. He gets it.”
Scout 7: “Teammates love him. He’s a tough country kid who works hard and is smart.”
Scout 6: “He gets sped up more than the rest of them and misses the most throws as a result. He missed a lot of open guys when he was under pressure.”

4. Michael Penix Jr., 128.5 points
5. Bo Nix, 125.5 points
6. Caleb Williams, 124 points

Lotta stupid teams out there. This QB class more closely resembles the one from 2021 than it does the one from 2020.
Let's forget about the first two QB's for a moment.

OK, so it's stupid to draft one of the 6 top QB's to train up when you have one of these as your starter?
Brissette
Darnold
Stidham
Minchew
Daniel Jones

It is NOT a matter of finding a Mahomes. It is a matter of finding someone who can compete to start this year or in 2025.

Should these teams just sit still and likely fail this year and next. Should they hope one of the projected 3rd or 4th round QB's is their 2025 starter?

IMO, there will be at least 5 QB's drafted in the top 12, although one could slip. I believe that there SHOULD be 6 drafted in the first round.

Covering their bases if they are given a tantalizing “boatload” to trade down.

The team needs to trade down to fill the enormous talent deficits. Start video at 14:37. RGIII says Penix is the best pure passer.

The fact it’s likely JJ McCarthy will be drafted ahead of guys like Penix and even my man Spencer Rattler shows how skewed the process is. The Washington offense went through Penix; the Michigan offense went through its offensive line. It’s really that simple.

But RGIII calls JJM a “winner”.

RGIII speaks truth. The sleeper/steal of the draft? Spencer Rattler who has arm talent “ up the wahzoo” and never complained about his leaky OL.

TWO torn ACL, shoulder and other injuries….he has talented….first or 2nd round?….no thanks

TWO torn ACL, shoulder and other injuries….he has talented….first or 2nd round?….no thanks
That’s why a team like the Broncos or Raiders will likely get him in the first round and we shouldn’t be interested in him that early.

Especially when Rattler could be available at pick 68, top of the third round.

Another thing that hurts Penix is his arm delivery. It’s almost a three-quarters side pass. It’s quirky but works for him. He generates a lot of power.

But I think he will be more susceptible to having his passes batted down by more elite, better coached front seven defenders at the next level.

The industrial scale cheating scUM engaged in that has recently resurfaced in the news should give one pause. After it came out and the culprit was dismissed from Michigan, I have learned that JJ’s production went down to an average of 166 yards per game.

Too many defend the cheating with “everyone does it.”

But it’s the Lance Armstrong analogy. The Wolverines took it to industrial lengths.

It’s a huge advantage to know what the defense is going to do as soon as their signal is displayed.

That and the kid’s SMALL HANDS. How is someone genetically so skewed that he can be 6’3” and have 9” hands?

That’s pitiful. Not only is his wife going to be disappointed, but we fans too if he’s drafted in NE.

Come bad weather how secure will the ball be in those minuscule mitts?

The industrial scale cheating scUM engaged in that has recently resurfaced in the news should give one pause. After it came out and the culprit was dismissed from Michigan, I have learned that JJ’s production went down to an average of 166 yards per game.

Too many defend the cheating with “everyone does it.”

But it’s the Lance Armstrong analogy. The Wolverines took it to industrial lengths.

It’s a huge advantage to know what the defense is going to do as soon as their signal is displayed.

That and the kid’s SMALL HANDS. How is someone genetically so skewed that he can be 6’3” and have 9” hands?

That’s pitiful. Not only is his wife going to be disappointed, but we fans too if he’s drafted in NE.

Come bad weather how secure will the ball be in those minuscule mitts?

Do you believe that Brady had balls deflated because it helped him throw better and helped the Patriots fumble less?

I would be mad if I was state fan too. Such a middling College atheltic program with little success that covered up a predator

@BaconGrundleCandy I havent watched all the nix tape, but one thing that really stood out to me when watching his games is that he is absolutely at placement on those quick passes at or behind the line. I mean it felt like everytime he threw them that I saw he placed them perfectly for his receiver to catch and run and not miss a beat. He took a lot of crap for that being a major part of the offense but just going off memory he was one of the best I can recall at placing those balls. Are you seeing that? Or am I just remembering the good and ignoring the bad

Nix is a great short to intermediate passer. That’s Oregon for you.

He seems like a high floor lower ceiling type of player.

That makes me think that he is an option if we trade out of 3. With the extra picks we could consider Joe Milton in the fifth round, whose untapped potential at QB must be brobdingnagian.

Joe Milton: the body of Cam Newton with the arm of Jeff George. This is the description of former nfl scout Dan Kelly.

Last edited:
I am convinced that Joe Milton should be drafted in the fifth round as our QB3. Let him duel it out with Ian’s boy Nathan Rourke.

He has the physical tools to be elite. It’s just going to take a couple of years. If it happens.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back