PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bethel was not a bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Any draft pick that contributes substantially to winning a SB is not a bust. Bethel was a key player in the Tennessee playoff game. Just like JR Redmond was not a bust for his playoff performances. People are being too harsh on Bethel IMO. He was drafted too soon by BB, much sooner than all other projections, and the Pats simply reached. He performed like the 4th/5th rd pick he really was, and had some heroic moments.

fair enough. He made some big, big plays - the punt return against Indy and the catch vs. Seattle stand out for me, as well as the TD reception v. Tennessee. He didn't give us much quantity but the little quality he provided was tangibly critical.

I wish him well and think we made a great trade.

He made enough big plays to be worth the pick - but he was a bust IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
BelichickFan said:
He made enough big plays to be worth the pick - but he was a bust IMO.

I agree there were flashes of brilliance, however his attitude and desire seemed to preclude significant progress and becoming a "Pats Type" consistent player.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not suggesting in any way that Bethel will ever become an elite receiver. But three years of poor production does not condemn a receiver to NFL oblivion. If you look through NFL history there are many receivers with minimal production in their first three and even four years who go on to solid careers as they mature physically mentally and emotionally. Henry Ellard, Chris Carter and Jimmy Smith come to mind, among many others less famous... Let's hope Reche Caldwell is one of those.

Last edited:
You are what you are.
Four catches last year when our WR's were depleted. Inability to take over in the ruturn game lkast year after two years of declining numbers.
Continued immaturity.
Inability to run the proper routes, tendency to fall down when making his cuts frequently to the point that Brady gave up on him.

All adds up to B-U-S-T imho.

Bethel was a project. I was rooting for him, but let's face it he was looking like a career special teamer, maybe situational receiver at best.

By comparison, Sullivan is El Busto, but if Seymour can lean on him he's a fantastic upside player.

Might be a good change of scenery for both.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bethel get it together, but their are fast guys every year that don't have what it takes.

A kick returner is easily replaced. He hasn't proved superior at anything else.

Still has to be a worthwhile gamble.

Well one thing about it the Saints just upgraded their return game as for the receiver part just have to wait and see.

Top Bethel Moments:
TD catch against Tennessee in playoffs
Pass catch for first down against tenessee where he reverses field (in playoffs)
Long kickoff return against Tennessee in regular season
Long kickoff return against Denver on Monday Night
Catch against Seattle
Kickoff return for TD against Cleveland
Punt return in SB against Phil (14 yrds into Phil territory)

I don't think Bethel was a bust...he HAD flashes of big catches..and of BIG returns..but that was all..and it was diminishing..
Immature..he never got it at all..and that was his downfall..I remember him at camp...as other WRs were signing in line..he weould be horsing around..signing a few..NOT taking it all serious..
Given all that, ther ARE moments I will remember..and he made BIG contributions in some games..but it was like just here and there..and NOT at all consistent...
I wish him well!!! The change of scenary may help..he will be closer to home and in a new environment..which I think he really needed!!

Your right. He is not a bust. I see it this way, if your a first round pick and don't pan out, then you are a bust. However, Johnson was a high second round pick and he just didn't turn out the way the Pats hoped.

PonyExpress said:
Top Bethel Moments:
TD catch against Tennessee in playoffs
Pass catch for first down against tenessee where he reverses field (in playoffs)
Long kickoff return against Tennessee in regular season
Long kickoff return against Denver on Monday Night
Catch against Seattle
Kickoff return for TD against Cleveland
Punt return in SB against Phil (14 yrds into Phil territory)

He sure did have his moments, just not enough of them. Thanks Bethel.....

THEARCHIVES said:
Your right. He is not a bust. I see it this way, if your a first round pick and don't pan out, then you are a bust. However, Johnson was a high second round pick and he just didn't turn out the way the Pats hoped.

What the hell kind of logic is that? If you are drafted 28th and suck you're a bust but if you're drafted 35th and suck you aren't a bust? I don't get that reasoning at all. Bethel was a high 2nd round draft pick and never lived up to his draft stock. Whether he should have been drafted that high or not is another debate but he was and never lived up to expectations. If you look in the dictionary, I believe that's the definition of a bust.

A complete BUST as a reasonably high 2nd rounder.
Those arguing otherwise have Patriot rose colored glasses and no objectivity,
What a surprise, eh?

PatsWickedPissah said:
A complete BUST as a reasonably high 2nd rounder.
What a surprise, eh?
You, my friend, have a short memory. That isn't much of a surprise either.

PonyExpress said:
You, my friend, have a short memory. That isn't much of a surprise either.

Memory test, how many catches for 2nd rounder Bethel in his 3rd Patriot year?
And how many games his 3rd season did Mr 2nd round NOT make the game day roster when healthy?

Facts can be troublesome things.

PatsWickedPissah said:
I am the great and powerful OZ. I am the all-knowing master of information. Only I have the right answers. Anyone who thinks not as I do is obviously unable to think at all, or is hopelessly stupid. Just don't peek behind the curtain, eh?

Anytime you can count the number of plays a 2nd rounder made on one hand after three years, he is a bust. THat does't say he was completely worthless. This was a very good trade for the Pats

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes