PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best article from Reiss in quite a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reiss is spot on.

It is interesting to me that in Belichick's first year without Pioli, he had one of the best drafts since he arrived.

Was thinking that the other day.. maybe Caserio is a better evaluator..

Was thinking that the other day.. maybe Caserio is a better evaluator..

It's possible that because the team was weaker overall than in year's past, rookie's had more opportunity to stand out.

Interesting nonetheless.

No matter how many time you guys post it, Patten was not signed as a coach, tudor or mentor. There are staff positions with those responsibilities. Patten was signed to compete for one of the 5-6 wide receiver positions, with the knowledge that at least one of our wide receivers is likely to start the season on the PUP list.

The patriots don't have staff positions for mentors, or Bruschi would have stayed on the team and perhaps Vrabel.
No matter how many times you deny the value of a veteran position player helping younger players transition, you don't convince me. Police departments use Field Training Officers as do many other professions. BB has used veteran players to flesh out a position transitioning to younger players before, for example the DL back in the day, he hung onto Bru and Seau longer then was ideal. Chief is here on his own merits, but with Welker in the trainer's hands Caserio's mentioning Chief's off-field health wasn't a throwaway line.

interesting.......especially the part about:

Another reason that the draft has added importance is that the Patriots seem to have some catching up to do in the area of developing talent.

I've been harping about this for years, and some of you 'uber-experts' who agree with Reiss chide me about this point.......LMAO

No matter how many time you guys post it, Patten was not signed as a coach, tudor or mentor. There are staff positions with those responsibilities. Patten was signed to compete for one of the 5-6 wide receiver positions, with the knowledge that at least one of our wide receivers is likely to start the season on the PUP list.

The patriots don't have staff positions for mentors, or Bruschi would have stayed on the team and perhaps Vrabel.

If Patten was signed to be one of the missing links for our WR position then something is seriously wrong. He is way past his prime and is nothing more than a 4th WR at this point. I would expect us to go out and get 2 WR's and Patten is a safety blanket if those 2 dont work out. He is familiar with the system and is on the same page with Brady. I wouldnt mind him being the 4th or 5th WR on this team, but he is definitely not the solution to our problem at WR.

Another reason that the draft has added importance is that the Patriots seem to have some catching up to do in the area of developing talent.

I've been harping about this for years, and some of you 'uber-experts' who agree with Reiss chide me about this point.......LMAO

It was the 2nd worst point of the article, but yeah harp on it...

Last edited:
It was the 2nd worst point of the article, but yeah harp on it...

in your opinion...........but what the hell do YOU know

I though you put me on ignore

still waiting for your list of players the pats have developed in the last 5 years

Last edited:
I don't get why some of you say we should trade next year's Raiders pick. Having 2 first round picks in the first year of a rookie cap is a significant jump on the rest of the league.

No matter how many time you guys post it, Patten was not signed as a coach, tudor or mentor. There are staff positions with those responsibilities.

Wow, I didn't know Patten was related to the royal dynasty of Henry VII!

There are staff positions, but there are plenty of things a veteran WR knows and can teach, that "staff" can't teach. You can teach a WR the basics to tell man from zone, but a WR veteran would show HOW to tell- i.e., looking at their eyes (are they scanning or locked on you?), check for open hips, where is the weight shift, etc.

I don't get why some of you say we should trade next year's Raiders pick. Having 2 first round picks in the first year of a rookie cap is a significant jump on the rest of the league.

not as much as you would believe......caps treat everyone the same......just because you might spend a couple of million less on a top 10 pick, it doesnt mean its going to change things much for a sport that has a 53 man roster.....in the grand scheme its not that big of a deal......

I have other reasons for wanting to not trade that pick......like the pats already have enough day 1 picks this year.....what I would want is more day 2 picks this year.......I believe the day 2 value is huge this year

Reiss is spot on.

It is interesting to me that in Belichick's first year without Pioli, he had one of the best drafts since he arrived.

2008 was a good draft, too. If Wheatley and/or Crable can overcome injury, it will look even better. 2007 looks bad at first glance, because people ignore the position players were taken, and 2006 is unfairly maligned.

not as much as you would believe......caps treat everyone the same......just because you might spend a couple of million less on a top 10 pick, it doesnt mean its going to change things much for a sport that has a 53 man roster.....in the grand scheme its not that big of a deal......

I have other reasons for wanting to not trade that pick......like the pats already have enough day 1 picks this year.....what I would want is more day 2 picks this year.......I believe the day 2 value is huge this year

Yes that's true. Good point. I did get the feeling that the sweet spot is in round 2 this year.

Having catching up to do in regards to developing talent is true... where opinions differ is some people want to ignore the following just to call the Patriots "bad" drafters and developers:

- When you have great teams, it becomes that much harder for rookies to stand out.
- We generally draft towards the end of every round, and had a first round pick taken away.
- We chose to trade picks away for Welker and Moss, which worked out well.

Always room for improvement, but some of you argue as though the Patriots continually blow top 15 picks. We're a good drafting team.

2008 was a good draft, too. If Wheatley and/or Crable can overcome injury, it will look even better. 2007 looks bad at first glance, because people ignore the position players were taken, and 2006 is unfairly maligned.

2007 was terrible besides Meriweather....

4th round Kareem Brown: 1 game played in 3 years
5th round Clint Oldenburg: 2 games played in 3 years
6th round Justin Rogers: 32 games in 3 years, 24 tackles
6th round Mike Richardson: 17 games in 3 years, 13 tackles
6th round Justise Hairston: 0 games in 3 years, PS player
6th round Corey Hilliard: 5 games in 3 years
7th round Oscar Lua: 0 games, out of football now
7th round Mike Elgin: 0 games in 3 years, PS player

This draft was terrible player selection wise, it is over looked because of the trades for Moss and Welker and people seem to give them a pass on it.

2007 was terrible besides Meriweather....

4th round Kareem Brown: 1 game played in 3 years
5th round Clint Oldenburg: 2 games played in 3 years
6th round Justin Rogers: 32 games in 3 years, 24 tackles
6th round Mike Richardson: 17 games in 3 years, 13 tackles
6th round Justise Hairston: 0 games in 3 years, PS player
6th round Corey Hilliard: 5 games in 3 years
7th round Oscar Lua: 0 games, out of football now
7th round Mike Elgin: 0 games in 3 years, PS player

This draft was terrible player selection wise, it is over looked because of the trades for Moss and Welker and people seem to give them a pass on it.

Good luck finding 20 NFL teams that had a better draft that year than Meriweather, Moss, Welker etc.

Good luck finding 20 NFL teams that had a better draft that year than Meriweather, Moss, Welker etc.

I noted in my post that it was a bad draft player selection wise. I noted that trading for Moss and Welker give the Pats kind of a pass for their terrible picks (the players they actually drafted). As a whole the draft was a success because of Moss and Welker, but what if they actually drafted players that had success in the league? Based on the players that they actually picked, it was a pretty bad draft.

2007 was a good off-season overall because of Welker and Moss, but it wasn't a good draft. OTOH, six of those guys were picked in the 6-7th rounds, and there were several comp picks in there, which couldn't be traded. They may well have known that those guys had little chance of making the roster. They also demonstrated good judgment by trading out of their second #1 that year.

I agree. I also believe that securing a 4th or 5th WR is a good thing, one minor step in filling our offseason needs.

If Patten was signed to be one of the missing links for our WR position then something is seriously wrong. He is way past his prime and is nothing more than a 4th WR at this point. I would expect us to go out and get 2 WR's and Patten is a safety blanket if those 2 dont work out. He is familiar with the system and is on the same page with Brady. I wouldnt mind him being the 4th or 5th WR on this team, but he is definitely not the solution to our problem at WR.

Indeed.....

People don't see big names and they assume that a team somehow did a bad job. It's not always the case. The Patriots probably had the best draft of any team in the league in 2007, when you take all trades into account.

Last edited:
Indeed.....

People don't see big names and they assume that a team somehow did a bad job. It's not always the case. The Patriots probably had the best draft of any team in the league in 2007, when you take all trades into account.

I wouldnt go that far...look at the players that they actually selected. It was terrible, if you go by the players that the Patriots actually drafted it was a bad draft. You could say the scouting for that draft was awful. As a draft as a whole it was a successful draft because of the additions of Moss and Welker, but it could have been much better if the players that the Patriots actually selected could have contributed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes