PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bernard Pollard chimes in on Bounty Gate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what planet you live on.

Pollard has a patented (almost but not quite unique to him) method of tackling guys who he is behind when they are running away from him. I have seen him do this multiple times and it is disgustingly dirty IMO.

He grabs them (legal tackle part) and then drops his body weight on their lower legs. (Should be illegal - and in my opinion could be loosely defined as a variant of the 'horse collar' tackle which is already outlawed.)
If he is 'lucky'; the runner has his foot planted when he drops his weight essentially guaranteeing an injury.

In part he does this when he can't catch up enough to get the right angle to get a real tackle or when the tacklee is so much bigger than him (Gronk) that he might not be able to tackle one-one.

You can make a claim it is legal by the rules; but CLEAN. No way sir.

I live on Earth and have played football before where you apparently have not. When you give up size and power to ball carriers, you aim for the legs. When you can't do that and are attachEd from behind to said bigger ball carrier, you use your body on the lower half of his body to bring him down. As has been said, Gronk has made guys look like asses when they didn't do that. Pollard did and, because Gronk was still trying to drag him, Pollards body came down awkwardly on his ankle, which was bound to happen to Gronk at some point (and, unfortunately, happened right before the biggest game of the year). It was an unfortunate injury but, like Welker's, wasn't dirty.

There was nothing dirty about his tackle on Gronk.

I disagree.

Did you see the tackle Romanowski put on Shannon Sharpe...same thing. He would have broke it if he could have.

He is a dirty SOB. Put him in the pile of players who can't handle our teams success...he is pathetic

1.) The thread was about Pollard commenting on the bounty. Degenerating into posts hoping for Pollard to have a career ending injury is a sure sign that some people need to take a vacation from posting here.

2.) Pollard didn't do anything to Welker, and did nothing wrong on the Gronk tackle.

3.) Pollard's hit on Brady was dirty.

4.) If Gregg Williams is ever allowed to coach in the NFL again, all of Goodell's words about cleaning up the game will be shown to be a sham.

Totally disagree ... what Pollard did is still legal in the league but its was meant to take him out. Pollard tackled from behind, like a horse collar tackle, and dropped all his weight on Gronks ankles.

While we are talking about Pollard ... don't forget what he did to Anthony Gonzalez. He shattered his kneecap on a very dirty hit. The man is a scumbag and he is next on the commissioners list.

You're saying that Pollard should have tried to either hit him high or just not have tried to make the tackle at all. The first is fundamentally bad form for a DB giving up over 40 lbs to the ball carrier. The second is Arena football.

I can guarantee that we turn many fans in here instant hypocrites if a hard hitter and very controversial player like Pollard was roaming as part of the secondary of the Patriots....Many of you would instantly become fans and take him in as family.

I don't like dirty players who intentionally hurt to maim,but you definately need a player in the secondary that receivers and RBs fear once they come face to face with that guy.

Maybe we won't ever see Pollard on our team and in this secondary,but we need a fierce hitter back there which has long been missing since Rodney retired,Chung is adequate but I don't think he is feared in the least.

1.) The thread was about Pollard commenting on the bounty. Degenerating into posts hoping for Pollard to have a career ending injury is a sure sign that some people need to take a vacation from posting here.

2.) Pollard didn't do anything to Welker, and did nothing wrong on the Gronk tackle.

3.) Pollard's hit on Brady was dirty.

4.) If Gregg Williams is ever allowed to coach in the NFL again, all of Goodell's words about cleaning up the game will be shown to be a sham.

As usual you are the voice of reason. :)

... i rarely post, and almost always try to "understand" people, but, Fu$K that POS ... i hope he he gets the most painful injury there is, something that will keep him awake and crying for the next 20 fu$king years :enranged:

How come none of these defensive players complained when crackback blocks were outlawed? None of them complained when they made it illegal to block a d-lineman below the knees when he is being blocked higher up. They were OK with those rule changes. You notice how it the guys how give the punishment that's doing all the whining about it. I haven't heard one offensive player complain.

As far as Pollard goes, the next time the Patriots see him, they should make sure he gets hit, legally, on every play he is out there. Every play, wether it is a run or a pass, should have someone designated to smack him with the hardest blocks they can. Then Brady should loft one in his direction just above his head, and when he stretches his body and jumps up for the ball, here comes Gronk and hits him, legally, in the midsection and buries his sorry butt. I know they would never do this but I can dream, can't I.

i like pollard's game, i just think he's just one of those guys who happens to be involved in 2 major injuries despite the hits being typical football plays

that said, i think his comments are dumb, the commissioner is trying to make the game safer, and he's got to with all the concussion evidence that's been brought to light recently, and now with all this illegal bounty crap.

Bernard Pollard: Goodell’s goal is to turn NFL into flag football | ProFootballTalk

Well we know how you feel about it Pollard. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I really do not like this player at all. I will not make further comment on what he said because I flat out HATE him. Every time I see what he did to Brady and Gronk , I want to put a bounty on him. :mad:
I won't make rational comments, so I will leave it to my brothers at Pats Fans to make rational comments for me. ;)
People like Pollard who blame the commissioner are ignorant. The real blame for why the NFL is "turning into flag football" should be levied squarely at those who are filing lawsuits against the league.

I genuinely hope that someone blows this guy's knee out this season.

People like Pollard who blame the commissioner are ignorant. The real blame for why the NFL is "turning into flag football" should be levied squarely at those who are filing lawsuits against the league.

The real blame should go to Bill Polian and Peyton Manning. After the Patriots beat the snot out of the Colts in the 2003 playoffs, BP and PM were all about how the defense of the Patriots were too physical. In the off season the referees were told to put "extra emphasis" on preventing DBs from touching receivers after 5 yards and the Peyton Manning rule was born.

Pollard is a douche bag and you only have to watch him play and its easy to realise he is a dirty player.

That said the tackle on Gronk was clean.

Regardless of the causation, the correlation of Bernard Pollard being on the field to our key players getting injured is enough to make me yearn for his retirement.

How awesome would it be if the Saints were the ones to take out his knees. They probably don't even play however

He's a jerk. I hope when we face him someone like Gronk beats the crap out of him. Not saying I'm a bounty supporter, but Pollard's an exception. HE HAS COSTED US THREE FREAKING SEASONS. THREE!! 08', 09, and last year!! God, I hate him beyond words. Beyond Words.

(Sorry I had to go on a rant there....the forum is the best place to express to express yourself)

I never mentioned Wes. :confused:
I was referring to only two players, Brady and Gronk. I respect your rational comments but I still think that the guy is a bum. :mad:

I hear you. when it comes to pollturd, rational thinking goes out the window. Hope he gets a taste of his own medicine, pretty soon like this preseason opener may be :mad:

Maybe Bellichick should file a restraining order for his players against Bernard Pollard.

Can't stand the guy. Normally I'm sad to hear when a player gets injured but to be honest I wouldn't give it a second thought if his career ended tomorrow. Try's to play that bad boy image and then has no outward remorse when he injures someone. I hope one day he is forced to face that empathy from the other side of the spectrum.

I've heard Pollard now and one of the Steelers LB'ers kind of dismissing the whole bounty thing like it's "being told to play football". Blatantly injuring is not football. I wouldn't be suprised if the Steelers and some of Pollard's teams were involved in bounty activities. The Steelers are the only team I know of to knock 2 great QB's out of playoff games on hits that were questionable at best. The hit on Brady in the '01 AFCC and Palmer in 2005 wild card round. Personally I've never seen it twice from the same team in a short span, mad shady. Pollard I've given him the benefit of the doubt on Brady and Gronk's injuries but I'm not so sure anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft