PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most two TE sets utilize one TE who is a very good blocker (Kyle), and one pass catcher. I'm not ready to label Thomas as a very good blocker, especially since he's primarily been a pass catcher. Last year NE had one mostly pass catching TE in Watson, and one TE who can be a pass catcher but is an outstanding blocking TE in Graham. Your idea of the two TE set is not it's general utilization in the NFL. Look at most teams that use or have used two TE sets frequently in the NFL, and you'll notice one TE is used mostly as a blocker. Most of those teams are power running teams, as well. NE tried to use more of a power running game last season, because of the lack of receiving threats. They might use two TE sets slightly less this year, since they have better receiving threats.

I believe you may be confusing a 2 TE offense with a power running formation. Dallas under Parcells and NE under BB were the proponents of the 2-TE offense. The Pats acquired Watson and Graham because they hoped both would be versatile enough as pass catchers and blockers to creates mismatches for the D. Dallas acquired Fasano while already having Witten. Each player can be a receiving threat and threaten the seam, while also being a capable enough blocker. This makes defensive substitutions guess work and creates potential mismatches. For example, If the defense puts a nickel back in, or a coverage LBer, the Pats still have the personnel to run the ball effectively, in theory. That is the value of the 2-TE offense. What you are describing is just a power running formation. Of course, the 2 TE offense' effectiveness is damaged if the TEs are not consistent pass catchers, or if the the safeties don't have to worry about the Wrs deep, both of which were the case last season for the Pats. Unless the Pats jettison the 2 TE offense this season, teaming K. Brady with Watson would be against precedent. Watson and Thomas are a more likely duo, with K. Brady, ideally, as a situational blocker/H-back.

I believe you may be confusing a 2 TE offense with a power running formation. Dallas under Parcells and NE under BB were the proponents of the 2-TE offense. The Pats acquired Watson and Graham because they hoped both would be versatile enough as pass catchers and blockers to creates mismatches for the D. Dallas acquired Fasano while already having Witten. Each player can be a receiving threat and threaten the seam, while also being a capable enough blocker. This makes defensive substitutions guess work and creates potential mismatches. For example, If the defense puts a nickel back in, or a coverage LBer, the Pats still have the personnel to run the ball effectively, in theory. That is the value of the 2-TE offense. What you are describing is just a power running formation. Of course, the 2 TE offense' effectiveness is damaged if the TEs are not consistent pass catchers, or if the the safeties don't have to worry about the Wrs deep, both of which were the case last season for the Pats. Unless the Pats jettison the 2 TE offense this season, teaming K. Brady with Watson would be against precedent. Watson and Thomas are a more likely duo, with K. Brady, ideally, as a situational blocker/H-back.

Part of me point was that NE was more of a power running team last year, and lacked receiving threats, which is why they used two TE sets more than usual. I know BB likes the two TE set, but they seemed to use it more in '06, than '05, and maybe some of BB's other seasons in NE. If Thomas and Watson can be good enough blockers to have them on the field at the same time I'd be very happy, because I think they are both good TE's. We'll have to see how their blocking skills have developed this year. NE does have a sick duo of receiving TE's this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes