PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's try again. The three top wide receivers will get lots more opportunities. Heck, the #4 and #5 receivers will be as good as last year's starters. Actually, they may BE last year's starters. Watson may not even be on the field on 3-wide sets, and certainly not on 4 or 5 wide sets. I certainly wouldn't have him out there. I'd have Brady and Faulk. And even if he's out there, his job will be TO BLOCK, and to catch the occasional pass. Guys like Gates and Crumpler are the best receivers on their teams, as Watson was last year. Those days are long gone.

So, even though he will be single teamed, Watson will catch fewer passes than last year.

And dare I hope that we will be able to RUN the ball more this year?

It's funny. The guy was getting double teamed last year, and he was working with crappy WR's for most of the season (sorry but it's true). This season he'll have better WR's around him who will likely be the ones getting doubled, yet his production is going to fall.... Scratch that his production is going to substantially drop off? Are you people serious? Also, NE had Dan Graham blocking last year, yet Watson still get a lot of playing time.

Remix, explain to me how Watson is going to repeat his production from last season? He was the #1 target last year because we had NO ONE on offense.

With Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Faulk, Watson will be a secondary option on every single play.

Other tight ends who get high receiving stats have horrible to average wide receivers. Check it out!!

NE has better WR options, but they will likely see the double coverages Watson was getting in '06, so he very likely could be the one who is open on a lot of plays.

It's funny. The guy was getting double teamed last year, and he was working with crappy WR's for most of the season (sorry but it's true). This season he'll have better WR's around him who will likely be the ones getting doubled, yet his production is going to fall.... Scratch that his production is going to substantially drop off? Are you people serious? Also, NE had Dan Graham blocking last year, yet Watson still get a lot of playing time.

People build up these incredibly high expectations for players and if they don't meet them almost immediately then then suddenly they are getting slammed and fall out of favor.

Last year people were really high on Watson saying he was going to have a monster year or even be the best tight end in the league. Watson is a tight end, not a wide receiver, so you can not expect him to put up WR numbers, which it seemed like a lot of people did. He had barely been in the league and people were already making comparisons to Shannon Sharpe and Ben Coates.

It's like a flavor of the week thing with players. Watson was in vogue last offseason but now the player everyone loves is Dave Thomas. The same thing happened with Chad Jackson. If a player doesn't immediately reach lofty expectations then he is practically worthless. I urge people to be a little more patient and realistic.

Watson is going to be a major stud for us this season. He'll be a primary benefactor of Moss and Stallworth clearing things out underneath. Unlike last season Watson will be seeing mostly single coverage meaning major matchup problems for most defenses.

NE has better WR options, but they will likely see the double coverages Watson was getting in '06, so he very likely could be the one who is open on a lot of plays.

He was double covered last year because he was the 1st option. He will never be the first option on any passing play this year. I predict his total catches will go down, but his yards per catch, and catch % will go up.

Just think about it: if you are Tom Brady, how are you NOT looking for Moss, Stallworth, and Welker first?

Let's try again. The three top wide receivers will get lots more opportunities. Heck, the #4 and #5 receivers will be as good as last year's starters. Actually, they may BE last year's starters. Watson may not even be on the field on 3-wide sets, and certainly not on 4 or 5 wide sets. I certainly wouldn't have him out there. I'd have Brady and Faulk. And even if he's out there, his job will be TO BLOCK, and to catch the occasional pass. Guys like Gates and Crumpler are the best receivers on their teams, as Watson was last year. Those days are long gone.

So, even though he will be single teamed, Watson will catch fewer passes than last year.

And dare I hope that we will be able to RUN the ball more this year?

I'd rather have Watson on the field that Reche Caldwell. Watson is a WR in a TE's body, so it would be a waste of his talent to leave him off the field as much as you would like. Also, the Patriots were a top 5 running team for about half of the '06 season, with Watson frequently on the field.

This thread is more about man-love for Watson, than using common sense or objectivity.

People build up these incredibly high expectations for players and if they don't meet them almost immediately then then suddenly they are getting slammed and fall out of favor.

Last year people were really high on Watson saying he was going to have a monster year or even be the best tight end in the league. Watson is a tight end, not a wide receiver, so you can not expect him to put up WR numbers, which it seemed like a lot of people did. He had barely been in the league and people were already making comparisons to Shannon Sharpe and Ben Coates.

It's like a flavor of the week thing with players. Watson was in vogue last offseason but now the player everyone loves is Dave Thomas. The same thing happened with Chad Jackson. If a player doesn't immediately reach lofty expectations then he is practically worthless. I urge people to be a little more patient and realistic.
Bingo, you've got Bingo! This is the way I have felt about a lot of fans, and frankly I find it sad. Namely the people who already list Chad Jackson as a bust, and say things like he sucks. Well isn't that nice. Give the kid a chance.

I also agree with you on Dave Thomas. Yes he's flashed his potential, but it's just that potential. He only put up stats in a few games last year, and I can't see him taking Watson's job in '07, especially with Dave now having a broken foot. I like him, and think he could be NE's future starter, but let's not turn him into the next Todd Heap.

Watson is going to be a major stud for us this season. He'll be a primary benefactor of Moss and Stallworth clearing things out underneath. Unlike last season Watson will be seeing mostly single coverage meaning major matchup problems for most defenses.

This is what I believe, and I also think Maroney will see more space with Moss, and Stallworth stretching the field.

but let's not turn him into the next Todd Heap.

And let's not let a personal infatuation with Ben Watson cloud the fact that he only caught so many balls last year because he was the #1 option, and that he still needs to improve his route running, hands, and ball security.

He was double covered last year because he was the 1st option. He will never be the first option on any passing play this year. I predict his total catches will go down, but his yards per catch, and catch % will go up.

Just think about it: if you are Tom Brady, how are you NOT looking for Moss, Stallworth, and Welker first?

That's kind of what I'm thinking. He's going to have a high yards per catch, and maybe slightly fewer receptions (he already had a high ypc for a TE last year). Also, while Brady will likely be looking for Moss, Stallworth, and Welker first, the Defenses NE plays against will also be looking for Moss, Stallworth, and Welker first. This should allow Watson to get open more this season. I also think we should remember Brady used Watson more last year, and he's got a little more continuity with Watson than he will have with Moss, Stallworth, and Welker, so he might be looking for Watson a little more than some think.

There are only so many balls to go around this year.
Moss, Stallworth, Welker, and Faulk will be the first option, and Watson will be more wide open as a secondary option.

Watson will probably have something like 35 catches, but his yards per catch will go up, and he will also drop less balls and also have less fumbles.

And let's not let a personal infatuation with Ben Watson cloud the fact that he only caught so many balls last year because he was the #1 option, and that he still needs to improve his route running, hands, and ball security.

You mistake a strong opinion for a personal infatuation, sorry.

There are only so many balls to go around this year.
Moss, Stallworth, Welker, and Faulk will be the first option, and Watson will be more wide open as a secondary option.

Watson will probably have something like 35 catches, but his yards per catch will go up, and he will also drop less balls and also have less fumbles.

Why is faulk among the first options? He is a third down back, who will not be on the field as much at Watson. Also, Faulk is starting to slow down a bit.

Brady will pass the ball to the receiver who is open. If this is multiple receivers then probably the most open guy will get the ball. With Moss, and/or Stallworth likely taking safety coverage away (to protect from the deep pass or TD threat), Watson will be matched up most often against a SLB. if so my guess is Watson is the most likely candidate to be most open because I highly doubt a SLB in the league can cover him m2m.

Watson's stats are going WAY DOWN this year. He only got the ball last year because we had no receivers.

Watson needs to improve his hands, his route running, and his ball security.

Gotta disagree. The people who are going to LOSE receptions are Caldwell, Gaffney, and Brown (if he returns). Watson may lose SOME, but I have a feeling his YPC is going to be even HIGHER because the safeties will be that much farther back.

Watson has very good route running ability and I question whether his hands are that bad. You mention ball security, yet you don't mention he only had 3 fumbles. While 3 sounds like a lot, its not really. Not when you're doing something you've never been asked to do before. And that is be the primary receiver on the field.

Watson will continue to get his fair share of passes.

OH, the other area that will lose touches is the running game. Yep. You heard me. The running game. I expect this offense to be like 2005 where we are passing more than we are running. Because our receiver are so good.

im going to say it right now watson will lead all TEs in yerd over 1000 this season walker will not be the WR some may think him to be he had like 65rec with miami last yer i think he will have more like 30 or less rec he will be a realy good ST player thats it

Last edited:
... use the friggin juggs machine this year Ben...

Watson catches the ball just fine. His problem is holding on and not fumbling when he gets hit hard. He should have more room to operate this season. I expect another +600 yard performance.
Also, let's not forget that a good tight end is like a QB's security blanket. When all the other options are covered, dump it off to the tight end. Although with Watson's freakishness he could turn a little dumpoff into more if the defense slips up. And it's pretty much impossible for your average linebacker to try to cover Watson 1 on 1.

Last edited:
Watson's stats are going WAY DOWN this year. He only got the ball last year because we had no receivers.

Watson needs to improve his hands, his route running, and his ball security.

Far more passes will are thrown mid-range than long-range... this year or any year.

While having more than two receiving options will certainly ensure that the ball is well spead Watson will see plenty of passes come his way.

The only difference is he won't be constantly double teamed with CBs and safeties just about draped on top of him because we now have two legitimate deep threats.

So even if Watson's number of catches drops his YPC should go up, and his overall produciton should be at least the same.

He has skills he needs to improve upon but its kindof tough to show off your speed when two guys are sitting on top of you because they know there's a 50% chance the ball is going to you. Don't underestimate the effect that has one one's ability to catch and hold onto the ball.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back