PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben-Jarvis Green-Ellis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this isn't exactly true. You take out his 2 longest runs and his YPC drops to 3.85. That's an 8% drop by taking away 1.8% of his carries. 10% of his yards came on 2 of his 112 carries.

Interestingly Benny's YPC in the 1st half is 3.3, compared to 4.8 in the 2nd half.
I think you would find the effect of taking away the best 1.8% of the carries of any RB to the same or greater.

I just love "The Law-Firm". I have been pulling for this kid since day one. He keeps moving forward, driving with his legs unlike his former "Dancing With The Stars" teammate.

I had a real awakening in my assessment of BJGE today.
As I watched the game the thought occured to me:
Would Bill Belichick put himself in a position to rely on a RB who wasnt competant?
Of course not.
It doesnt take an NFL personell guy to recognize that Laurence Maroney is a more talented RB than BJGE. But along with that talent came other issues. When you add everything together, BB chose BJGE. There is no debate here. BB picked BJGE over Maroney.
In order to do this BB had to conclude the BJGE was capable, and would do what was asked of him.
I dont see what the complaints are about. When he is handed the ball he hits the hole. He runs hard. He tries hard. He doesnt make stupid cuts, doesnt make poor decisions. He breaks and OK amount of tackles, he shows and OK amount of cutting ability.
BJGE is not the most talented RB in the NFL. But if you hand him the ball he will do what you tell him to do, do it as hard as he can, and he will not do something stupid.
Excepting the play where the AllPro RB makes a play no one else can and takes it to the house, what else are we looking for that he doesnt do?

It is a fact in the NFL that not making bad plays and being a liability is more important to a team winning that making extaordinary plays and beimg 'special'.

I just love "The Law-Firm". I have been pulling for this kid since day one. He keeps moving forward, driving with his legs unlike his former "Dancing With The Stars" teammate.

+1 The kid works every play, very few negative plays NO Turnovers. He is a Journeyman RB, but what he does is what this offense needs. Runners whose stats improve as the game progresses are what we need.

This kid is as good as Antoine Smith was for us maybe better. Not much wear and tear on the kid. He is a keeper.

Again NO turnovers, the Pats are among the leaders on TO ratio, that is why we have a great record with such a young (but improving) D.

+1 The kid works every play, very few negative plays NO Turnovers. He is a Journeyman RB, but what he does is what this offense needs. Runners whose stats improve as the game progresses are what we need.

This kid is as good as Antoine Smith was for us maybe better. Not much wear and tear on the kid. He is a keeper.

Again NO turnovers, the Pats are among the leaders on TO ratio, that is why we have a great record with such a young (but improving) D.
Most peoples opinion of Smith are higher than mine, but BJGE is clearly better than a RB who can run outside OLG and be so slow the DE from the offensive right side can tackle him for a 1 yard gain, which happened a lot to Smith.,

Belichick probably would have cut bait with Maroney last year had BJGE been at this stage in his development. What a story if he turns out to be our long-term #1.

The Maroney trade was larceny, or maybe just McDaniels way of finally paying his debt to BB. :)

I didn't start him in fantasy because Taylor was activated :mad::mad::(

I'll take the backfire though if it means him running in the red zone like that. What a beast!

Only thing that scares me is when will his first fumble come?? It's beyond due, gotta happen at some point hopefully not in a major spot.

In the past, a lot of members were drooling over Marion Barber of the Cowboys. I'm thinking Lawfirm has put a stop to that. Here's a guy who does not fumble and when he gets hit falls forward for two or three more yards. When was the last time we had a runner who did that?

I think you would find the effect of taking away the best 1.8% of the carries of any RB to the same or greater.

Wouldn't statistics be great if we could just decide to discount the extremes?.:D

All props to BJ. I hate this 110% stuff and nobody plays to 100% either (Jerry Rice was close) but BJ is doing more than taking what's there, he's starting to push through with power. He's using close to 100% of his ability and that's damned commendable.

He needs to keep working on the receiving etc., but I'm sure he will.

We need to get Morris more touches too, he's a decent receiver and runs with power. Limited reps, of course, but we need all hands on deck to make a playoff push.

In the past, a lot of members were drooling over Marion Barber of the Cowboys. I'm thinking Lawfirm has put a stop to that. Here's a guy who does not fumble and when he gets hit falls forward for two or three more yards. When was the last time we had a runner who did that?

Good analogy. Doesn't have Barber's stiff arm or receiving ability, but he's the same type of inside runner. I think Barber has about two runs over 50 yards in his career.

Yes, another big day for the law firm, 60 yards on 12 carries. I'll weigh in with opinion on Antoine Smith vs. The Law - the Law takes the case. Smith was the definition of a journeyman, while BJGE is several levels above that. BJGE was better than Maroney even last year, but Belichick may have been giving Maroney his last shot.

Wouldn't statistics be great if we could just decide to discount the extremes?.:D
Not sure what you mean The post was implying BJGEs stats are heavily mimpacted by the extremes, and I was pointing out they probably are not

Not sure what you mean The post was implying BJGEs stats are heavily mimpacted by the extremes, and I was pointing out they probably are not

I'm agreeing with you. Deciding to discount any plays you want, then counting the rest as a valid statistical representation is stupid, unless there's a 99 yard run in there, or something.

Last week he had no negative yards, and yesterday he was probably stopped once... he is not flashy, he does not do a lot of "juking" as the line of scrimmage, he is a north south grind it out type of guy.

IMO our running game has to include the short passing game to Welker as well, BJGE does not fumble and he seems more than adequate for this team.

We don't need a feature back just like we don't need a HR WR. It's about BALANCE and have the defense we're playing against not overload one way or the other. Be unpredictable.

I like what we have. A great team beats a team of great players. You can feel the chemistry growing.

Most peoples opinion of Smith are higher than mine, but BJGE is clearly better than a RB who can run outside OLG and be so slow the DE from the offensive right side can tackle him for a 1 yard gain, which happened a lot to Smith.,

That was the 2003 Smith. The 2001 Smith was much better than that.

BJGE has played well the last three weeks, but they were against two of the worst run defenses in the league. He needs to play like this or better against the Jets, Packers, and Bears.

I give him credit for playing well in recent weeks, but he needs to prove he can be consistent because the Pats will need him to be over the next month and the playoffs unless he takes a back seat to Taylor.

BJGE has played well the last three weeks, but they were against two of the worst run defenses in the league. He needs to play like this or better against the Jets, Packers, and Bears.

I give him credit for playing well in recent weeks, but he needs to prove he can be consistent because the Pats will need him to be over the next month and the playoffs unless he takes a back seat to Taylor.

I put Taylor in the same category of Crable or McKenzie before training camp. A lot of people had McKenzie penciled in when he had never done anything except drafted in the third round. Taylor has had a great career and has limited accomplishments this year, not enough to place him above BJGE. I see them as the same type of runner, only one stays healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST