PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick: The Pats' Coach-to-QB communications system didn't work [mergedx3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Belichick: The Pats' Coach-to-QB communications system didn't work [merged]

The Redskins communications system did not work last week at Gillete. Not that it made any difference in that game, but it's not like the Pats have clean hands.

Re: Belichick: The Pats' Coach-to-QB communications system didn't work [merged]

I am not sure exactly how 1 team's Coach-QB system has anything to do with the HOST team's stadium.

It is not like we went to the Dolts on Saturday afternoon and said; here is Brady's helmet can you please install your electronics into it.

I think the transmitter and receiver have to be TEAM EQUIPMENT; it doesnt make sense any other way. That explains the press box to sideline rule too.

The pressbox equipment has to be stadium equipment. So if it goes out that is the Host's fault.

But unless the Dolts are running some electronic psyops jamming station on the Patriots QB system frequency - any electronic fault has to be our own equipment failure.

Considering how Brady got his bell rung on the very first play and as often as he HEAD-BUTTs the OL :D ; I am not surprised if the electronics get a little bit fritzy.

Re: Belichick: The Pats' communications system didn't work

There was a rule, and it may still be on th books that if the home crowd noise interferes with the opposing teams ability to communicate the home team can be hit with a penalty's up forfiture of the game. It was put in place in the late eighties and enforced for a couple of years at most .Then the refs. stop calling it. It's sort of along the lines of the no contact with the reciever rule that wasn't enforced until Polian couldn't beat us and got teh CC to make it a point of emphasis a couple of years ago, Wouldn't that be sweet if the "excesive crowd noise" rule was still on the books and used against Indy at home. :rocker:

Indy Disabled Our Coach-To-QB Communication

Patriots coach Bill Belichick, no stranger to controversy, did not discuss those allegations during his regularly scheduled news conference Monday. Instead, Belichick said he was more concerned with communication problems he said existed between Patriots coaches and Brady.

"Basically, we didn't have a coach-to-quarterback operation, so we had to signal in all of the plays, which is unusual, but that's the way it was," he said. "What all was going on, I can't tell you, but I can tell you that, from a functional standpoint, the coach-to-quarterback was basically useless."

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...2007/11/05/colts_deny_using_artificial_noise/

So, the Colts:
- Made the stadium mad hot
- Piped in artificial crowd noise
- Disabled our coach-to-qb communication so we had to signal in plays and they could steal them
- Chose the reffs they wanted, then subsequently paid them off

and we still won.

Really though, during spygate a lot of other teams used the "When we go to foxborough we have this coach-to-qb communication failure. Clearly it's a sign of cheating." Well, if they want to call it cheating when it happens in foxborough, it should be called cheating when it happens in Indy too -- unless its not cheating, and is just a technical glitch, like it probably is, which shows how one-sided the world is against the Patriots right now when whenever it happens in Patsland they scream cheating and then don't bat an eye when it happens in Indy.

Re: Indy Disabled Our Coach-To-QB Communication

Washington had headset problems when they played the Patriots. Not everything is a conspiracy and not everything is a result of a deliberate act.

That's exactly my point -- that during spygate people dug up all these tiny issues claiming that we were evil masterminds behind all of them, and when they happen for any other team nobody bats an eye. The media slings so much mud at the Pats its unreal.

Washington had headset problems when they played the Patriots. Not everything is a conspiracy and not everything is a result of a deliberate act.

Correct,I was about to say that like you just did.

We have guys here who are complaining about it but if it were in New England instead of Indy no one here would say anything negative - get a grip

I didn't see complaining posts when Washington had problems last week so just STFU - WE WON AND MOVE ON!!!

what bothers me more is that if that happened in foxboro...we would be hearing nothing else from espn and fox

what bothers me more is that if that happened in foxboro...we would be hearing nothing else from espn and fox

It happened to Washington when they played against the Patriots in Foxborough and it was not something that got blown up into a huge "spygate" type of situation.

Last edited:

true Deus . although the pats theme of that week was "running up" the score.

Pats QB communication hosed. Colts worked fine though.

Funny how a technical glitch in Gillette is considered cheating, but in the RCA dome it's just a glitch:

What is this? (click here)

But that wasn't the end of the sound furor because while Colts fans were at full blast - with or without audio enhancement - the Patriots offense was operating on mute.

When asked if he noticed any audio irregularities during the game, Belichick said the Patriots' coach-to-quarterback communication system was "basically useless."

"Well, we definitely had a lot of problems with the coach-to-quarterback," Belichick said. "Basically, we didn't have a coach-to-quarterback operation, so we had to signal in all of the plays, which is unusual, but that's the way it was. What-all was going on, I can't tell you, but I can tell you that, from a functional standpoint, the coach-to-quarterback was basically useless."

He added, "It was a problem from the first series. We stopped using it - we tried to use it, but it was ineffective."

more stories like thisThat forced New England to relay the plays to quarterback Tom Brady with hand signals from the sideline or Brady to call the plays himself. Belichick said the team was "basically in that mode the whole game" without operational coach-to-quarterback communication, although the Patriots did have open communication on their headsets to their coaches in the booth.

The two systems are independent, and the Colts were allowed to continue using their coach-to-quarterback communication. They would have had to stop communicating with coaches in the booth if the Patriots had lost that ability as well.

Last edited:
Re: Pats QB communication hosed. Colts worked fine though.

No one thinks this is a strange coincidence?

The Pats had to play with:

1) Bad Refs.
2) Higher than normal crowd noise (for whatever reason).
3) No QB communication.

......and then still WIN! Now that is bad *****. :cool:

So the Colts were caught calling out false snap counts, and the Patriots coach to QB communication system wasn't working for the Patriots only? That can't be. Tony Dungy, and the whole Colts organization is beyond reproach, and would never do such a thing. Heck, the wonderful Colt fans find those kinds of shananigans unacceptable, and unethical.

I'm guessing the Colts fans will be asking for investigations, fines, and suspensions to make this right.

On top of it all, what were the Steelers doing last night keeping their starting QB in the game with a 35 to 7 lead? That is classless and just plain wrong, and let the furor begin against the entire Steeler organization.

everyone knows throwing more than 3 TD passes in one half is running up the score.

And clearly football etiquette mandates the starting QB be pulled in the 4th QTR with any lead greater than 13 pts for the backup QB...
once the lead is greater than 17 pts in the 4th QTR put in your 4th (emergency QB, usually a WR or RB) and start running the wing T triple option offense!
Any team not abiding will be docked 2 first round picks by Goodell, unless of course they are pumping in stadium noise which negates the running of the score.

WTF PITTSBURGH?? When we play you in the steel city, we'll show you proper running up the score etiquette. I'm hoping Troy Brown is active by then, nobody runs the option like Troy, and imagine the Marshall to Marshall trick play connection possibilities!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference