PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick speaks about evaluating players

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen some speculation recently about how Bill Belichick looks for a certain prototype at certain positions. Specifically there have been some comments that perhaps he is too rigid in not considering a player because he is an inch shorter than what he is seeking for OLB or DE, for example. At yesterday's pre-draft press conference Belichick spoke about that part of player evaluations, and how much of a role those measurables played.

It Is What It Is: Bill Belichick Q&A, 4/14 by Cristopher Price of WEEI

We have a standard for every position – height, weight and speed. And other measurables that are standard for every position – arm length and things like that. Twenty-times on linemen or whatever it happens to be on that position and so there’s a standard.

Belichick went on to point out that Barry Sanders was short for a running back but nobody complained about the way he played. Whether or not lack of measurables would be a deal breaker. He said "in the end that's not the final grade on the player, but it's something you recognize when you take the player." To me that says not being a specific height, weight or speed may drop a player's grade, but it doesn't eliminate him from consideration as some have felt may have been the case in the past.

That was such a great part of the presser.

I think in the past some "considered" players at say, OLB, have been graded lower for non-ideal size and been lost to other teams at 4-3 DE's. So that grading system may have cost us players who were brilliant in another scheme, but doesn't necessarily reflect our teams complete lack of interest in them on draft weekend.

Now with more teams playing 3-4, more "chances" WILL have to be taken, I think.

One thing he says is that an unusually large fraction of the high picks have question marks from injury or being juniors.

All you guys hoping for immediate rookie contributions -- brace yourselves regarding that aspect.

Edit: And yet more "clouds" on the evaluations due to college scheme issues.

Last edited:
One thing he says is that an unusually large fraction of the high picks have question marks from injury or being juniors.

All you guys hoping for immediate rookie contributions -- brace yourselves regarding that aspect.

Edit: And yet more "clouds" on the evaluations due to college scheme issues.
Given the number of picks the Patriots have, I expect at least one pick to be a redshirt draftee who was never counted on for 2010 and will spend the entire year on IR. However, I will be very disappointed if one of those first four picks is used in that manner.

Given the number of picks the Patriots have, I expect at least one pick to be a redshirt draftee who was never counted on for 2010 and will spend the entire year on IR. However, I will be very disappointed if one of those first four picks is used in that manner.

Right, that's what the later rounds 5-7 are for. I agree with Bruschi that the Pats do need decent contributions from at least 3 of their 1st 4 picks this season, a very tall order. Draft well. BB.

Last edited:
Belichick went on to point out that Barry Sanders was short for a running back but nobody complained about the way he played.

A bold statement. I guess Belichick really doesn't read press clippings and internet message boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3