PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick puts Chung in the same breath as Mayo!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
good summary of sanders play...nice points

I think Sanders is a key piece of the secondary, hell he has the most exerience in our system. I truly like guys like him, hard nosed, unselfish etc... he does everything that is asked of him. Sanders should be around a while.

But I was sold on Chung after I heard a pre-draft interview on Sirius. He spoke as if he was a 10 year vet, was calm, confident, well spoken and most importantly, came across as if he truly loved and respected the game and the opportunity in front of him. In short a Patriot!

So obviously I was beside myself when we drafted him.

i think he'll be here and play alot unless mcgowan is really impressive this upcoming year

is meriweather a bob sanders or ed reed type to u guys? how in the hell is ed reed so good? not like he is a 4.3 fs

Oh I completely agree. I'm just saying it would be a rare and unlikely achievement for Chung to displace Sanders so soon, it would be saying *a lot* if he did. Mayo was a once-in-a-decade type pick on our defense, the mature beyond his years player who did everything right, stepped in immediately, and produced like a vet by season's end.

I agree, but sometimes I think we the "experts" on here (myself included) tend to exagerate the rookie thing in our system. Because in all honesty the facts don't support us.

Now granted some of these guys played due to injuries and in some cases multiple injuries, but nonetheless played and played well as rookies:

Seymour
Samuel
Blue
Wilson
Mayo

I'm sure I left someone off, maybe Guyton??

I just think it is BB's preference for vets, more than a young guy not being able to succeed.

i think he'll be here and play alot unless mcgowan is really impressive this upcoming year

Mcgowan is intriguing to me, but I'll be honest I don't know what his role will be. But most importantly the guy has to stay healthy.

And if I were a DB in the NFL with a history of being injured, the Pats would be the last team I signed with!

is meriweather a bob sanders or ed reed type to u guys? how in the hell is ed reed so good? not like he is a 4.3 fs

IMO Merieweather is a FS that should be playing centerfield. But obviously BB disagrees with me or feels that Brandon is the better of the group to play downlow up to this point.

So I'm not arguing with the guy, I will defer to BB. But I hope Chung is playing SS and Brandon is playing FS by the end of the year.

i agree but brandon meriweather is pretty gnarsty in the box, especially that quick a gap blitz...i.e.-seahawks game when he sacked seneca wallace in about 1 second...i think he is a decent rangy ballhawk tho...we will c

I agree, but sometimes I think we the "experts" on here (myself included) tend to exagerate the rookie thing in our system. Because in all honesty the facts don't support us.

Now granted some of these guys played due to injuries and in some cases multiple injuries, but nonetheless played and played well as rookies:

Seymour
Samuel
Blue
Wilson
Mayo

I'm sure I left someone off, maybe Guyton??

I just think it is BB's preference for vets, more than a young guy not being able to succeed.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Pats system is "the guy who helps us win most plays" regardless of their draft spot, experience or other factors. That means that whoever it is has to know the system and be where he needs to be but if he brings more to the table, he'll play. We need someone to step up as the leader and more athleticism in the secondary, it's been the weak link since Ty Law left.

well, we have the leadership with chung, sanders, and meriweather and we definitely improved the athleticism over the offseason....meriweather, chung, sanders, bodden, springs, butler, wheatley, mcgowan all part of our secondary...looks like things are going to be fine there

well, we have the leadership with chung, sanders, and meriweather and we definitely improved the athleticism over the offseason....meriweather, chung, sanders, bodden, springs, butler, wheatley, mcgowan all part of our secondary...looks like things are going to be fine there

dont forget bout Wilhite.

no i purposely left wilhite off that list..haha seriously though...we shoulda picked up travis daniels or chris mcallister to replace him and richardson

Last edited:
no i purposely left wilhite off that list..haha seriously though...we shoulda picked up travis daniels or chris mcallister to replace him and richardson

why I think Wilhite played good last seaon when he had the oppertunity. Im lookin forward to what he brings to the table this season.

tell me some specifics when he played good besides that interception against oakland...im hoping the best for him as well, hope he proves me wrong, he has supposedly been workin hard in the offseason..im just extra hard on him bc ppl seem to give him to much credit in my eyes...i know he was a rookie but still, there is no way he is better than bodden, springs, wheatley, butler...ppl puttin wilhite as their number 2 corner must not have watched him very closely last year

Last edited:
Wilhite's play was very encouraging last year, especially considering he was pitched in at the deep end.

The coaches seemingly rate him, hence him getting a lot of reps with the starters so far during TC.

tell me a few specifics that were encouraging about wilhite? really, i love the guys passion and hard work but that only goes so far

tell me a few specifics that were encouraging about wilhite? really, i love the guys passion and hard work but that only goes so far

His ability to turn and run with receivers for a start, he's very agile and athletic, and has great hips (note his INT against the Raiders). He didn't bite on play-fakes and stunts, and generally looked like a capable NFL cornerback.

He's got a good career ahead of him if he keeps improving.

im hoping he has a bright future as well, but the thing is he didnt turn and run and keep tight coverage with the receivers even tho he duz have great speed..watch the colts, seahawks games specifically..the int is his only real highlight from last year....weak ass tackler ass well dude

ill bet on this, if belichick has the patience, in the next few years wilhite will turn into a solid cb but not close to wheatley

Last edited:
also, why would he bite on a stunt? what do you mean by that? dline is the one stunting

I can discourage you a bit as he was dinged in practice Thursday, fell on his left shoulder and hasn't been seen since. Hopefully it is just a "ding".

As for Sanders, I love him and he surely has a place on this team -- but Chung looks simply amazing to me and I think he starts right next to Meriweather by game 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News