PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick: "A lot of teams are kind of reluctant to trade..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Is that quote attributed to anyone or is the writer simply asking a rhetorical question?

Before clicking on this thread I was thinking the same thing.........teams wouldn't want to trade with Bill b/c there would be a natural 'second guessing'. Bill makes far more good moves than bad ones so chances are the opposing GM will be on the short end of the stick.

I've always thought the same thing. At what point do GMs just not even entertain the call? 99% of the time BB absolutely fleeces these GMs. I can only think of two trades that didn't work out (Haynesworth and Ochocinco) and we only gave up a couple late round picks.

He really is incredible. Whether it be spotting talent that isn't being used properly, taking a low risk (cost) flier on a big talent, or getting rid of players past their prime for significant draft capital.

No matter what some people say, BB the GM >>>> all other GMs

Some teams are desparate to give up players on their roster that don't fit their scheme. That's where BB swoops in.

Some teams are desparate to give up players on their roster that don't fit their scheme. That's where BB swoops in.

I've seen this on Animal Planet.

article-0-0DFF2A0300000578-218_634x423.jpg

Phone lines are open!

outsourced-call-center.jpg

I've always thought the same thing. At what point do GMs just not even entertain the call? 99% of the time BB absolutely fleeces these GMs. I can only think of two trades that didn't work out (Haynesworth and Ochocinco) and we only gave up a couple late round picks.

He really is incredible. Whether it be spotting talent that isn't being used properly, taking a low risk (cost) flier on a big talent, or getting rid of players past their prime for significant draft capital.

No matter what some people say, BB the GM >>>> all other GMs

The Burgess and Starks trades were both pretty bad. I think he gave up a third in each case. Also, the Packers used to fare pretty well in trades with us.

He's gotten a lot better since the Burgess trade

"I know what you mean, Bill."

auerbach_22.jpg

Arizona trade one of those that seems to be working for both sides.
Most, if not all, trades are designed that way IMO.

Take the AJ Derby trade. I think that's a trade that could work out more in Denver's favor, but if BB didn't want him to take up a roster spot going forward, he's better off getting a pick for him. At the same time, I have a feeling that Derby's production will exceed the compensation that Denver gave up. Just a shame it had to be Denver.

The Burgess and Starks trades were both pretty bad. I think he gave up a third in each case. Also, the Packers used to fare pretty well in trades with us.

....and both those players were on the wrong side of 30 when he traded for them.

At least hes going after younger players who can serve multiple purposes on the team.

He's gotten a lot better since the Burgess trade

That was a bad trade. I still think Starks was badly injured, but played because we had a ton more injured DBs. Not that it matters at this point.

Unlike other sports,a player has to fit to help your team and most FO types are not confident enough to try out players mid season. BB is so knowledgeable about most players, coaches etc. that he can judge whether a player has a skill he could us and is a mismatch to the system he's in, has an impatient coach, or whatever.

Not to take a shot at the draftniks, but there is no one order that your team needs to draft. Look at the teams drafting high every year and how many very high picks they waste cause they don't fit. Mingo might still be a steal. Ayers was a gift because the coach buried him after a new system. Akeem Hicks.

BB is like those robo-dial political calls you get.

"Hi. This is Bill Belichick. I'd like to trade for ............" <click>
Outta be the same for Danny Ainge. I can't believe his number isn't blocked at this point. Nothing good can come of trading with that bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft