PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard Tweet: Light and Patriots hope to reach agreement today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very Happy esp when Mankins is locked up long term.

IMO this will be the end of Kaczur with the Pats.

Couldn't disagree more. Light and Mankins have EXACTLY the same attitudes and playing style. Most had Light moving to G when he came into the League. Light has been a very good LT, but he might have had the all pro career as a LG as Mankins had if the Pats had moved him to LG. Light been an very good power run blocker. In fact what was a weakness in is game as a LT (speed rushers) ,would be greatly mitigated by a move to LG.

In Fact how is this for a possible scenario. Mankins signed his franchise tag with the idea that the Pats will trade him THIS year. Maybe the Pats see Solder as being capable of starting right away and Light will start the season as the LG and the Pats walk away with the OL they are comfortable with and a first or 2nd rounder for next season I know that Oakland is looking for a OG with Gallery moving on. :D

Then my question to you is, how come the line got galvanized halfway through the season when Mankins came back, last year? If Light had the same "intangibles" then this would not have occurred, don't you think?

I don't think that the status of Mankins is relevant for the future of Kaczur. I expect Kaczur to be cut as soon as Light is signed.

If we plan to extend or keep Mankins, then we are all set for 2011. If we are going to trade Mankins, then we will sign a top guard.

In any case, if Light comes, Kaczur goes.

Very Happy esp when Mankins is locked up long term.

IMO this will be the end of Kaczur with the Pats.

I would love to see them bring back Light with Mankins, it solidifies the OL and Light could move to RG when Solder is ready to take over.

I would also.

It is a matter of what Mankins wants. As was the case with Light, the question is priorities and a personal choice of team and situation. There is a difference. Mankins is at the height of his career and should have two more significant contracts. This is Light's last.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us extend Mankins. I also would be surprised to see us sign another top guard and trade Mankins.

I would love to see them bring back Light with Mankins, it solidifies the OL and Light could move to RG when Solder is ready to take over.

Last edited:
This is good insurance until Solder is ready. And it likely keeps Kaczur off the field.

I expect Deus is pleased.

I think it likely keeps Kaczur off the TEAM. He has a 3+ mill cap-hit, no? No thanks to that. Frees up money for elsewhere.

Now let's get to trading Meriweather...

We need to nip this "Light slides over to Guard" talk in the bud. I realize that was talked about earlier in his career -- even on his draft day, IIRC -- but I think that ship has sailed. He's an LT and that's it, in my book. Would love to be wrong about that, though I don't believe I am.

We need to nip this "Light slides over to Guard" talk in the bud. I realize that was talked about earlier in his career -- even on his draft day, IIRC -- but I think that ship has sailed. He's an LT and that's it, in my book. Would love to be wrong about that, though I don't believe I am.

I think that Light to G is a realistic possibility. If Solder comes in and proves he could start Day 1, he should start Day 1. The line looks like this right now.

RT- Vollmer starts here. Period. End of discussion.
RG- Really the only question mark, or "hole." Could be Cannon, Light or really anyone.
C- Koppen start here.
LG- All Mankins.
LT- The other question. Solder or Light could start here.

You're 5 best OL are Vollmer, Light, Koppen, Mankins, and Solder. The best way to get them all on the field is having Light at RG.

Light can't play guard. Maybe he could've earlier in his career, but from what I hear that's just not an option for him.

This is good insurance until Solder is ready. And it likely keeps Kaczur off the field.

I expect Deus is pleased.

Yes, assuming it happens. If this works out, and the Haynesworth deal is completed, this will have been a very good day, IMO.

Light can't play guard. Maybe he could've earlier in his career, but from what I hear that's just not an option for him.

Why do you say that?? Where have you heard it from??

I would agree if we were talking about RT, but I could see Light at RG until Cannon was ready. He'd definitely be an upgrade over Connolly.

Just today the Giants slid David Diehl from LT to one of their guard slots. Granted he started out as a guard but it's a move that has happened before as tackles get older.

Any OT could play guard. As they get older, they can't block the quick/fast pass rushers because they're slower. So alot slid inside where they usually play pretty well. They're more agile then you're normal guards so they do a good job pulling and in space. They end up blocking the guy right in front of them and usually get some help from the C.

I'm very happy for Matt and his family. This should allow him retire a Patriot and live in the area. A fourth ring would put him in some pretty elite company for an o-lineman.

I think that Light to G is a realistic possibility. If Solder comes in and proves he could start Day 1, he should start Day 1. The line looks like this right now.

RT- Vollmer starts here. Period. End of discussion.
RG- Really the only question mark, or "hole." Could be Cannon, Light or really anyone.
C- Koppen start here.
LG- All Mankins.
LT- The other question. Solder or Light could start here.

You're 5 best OL are Vollmer, Light, Koppen, Mankins, and Solder. The best way to get them all on the field is having Light at RG.

Matt Light can't play right guard. Solder is not ready to play anywhere on this line and won't be a starter or regular for a long while. The big question is Stephen Neal's spot at Right Guard. Dan Connolly, signed through this year, played quite ably in Neal's absence last season and will also be the featured kick returner in 2011.

"Dan Connolly, you are ridiculous!"

The line is in great shape, is a cohesive unit and is coached by the best in the business.

There's no reason why Matt Light can't play guard. In fact it might be a good move for him late in his career.

Matt Light can't play right guard. Solder is not ready to play anywhere on this line and won't be a starter or regular for a long while. The big question is Stephen Neal's spot at Right Guard. Dan Connolly, signed through this year, played quite ably in Neal's absence last season and will also be the featured kick returner in 2011.

"Dan Connolly, you are ridiculous!"

The line is in great shape, is a cohesive unit and is coached by the best in the business.

Considering he was the first true LT taken and we haven't seen him even put a NE Pats sock on yet, I'm not sure how you can say he can't play LT on this line. I also don't know how you can say Light can't play RG. Most tackles can slid inside very easily.

Considering he was the first true LT taken and we haven't seen him even put a NE Pats sock on yet, I'm not sure how you can say he can't play LT on this line. I also don't know how you can say Light can't play RG. Most tackles can slid inside very easily.

People can say that Light can't play RG because BB has said that Matt Light is a LT and only a LT. Now, perhaps BB has changed his take on that over the years, but that's what he's on record as having said.

People can say that Light can't play RG because BB has said that Matt Light is a LT and only a LT. Now, perhaps BB has changed his take on that over the years, but that's what he's on record as having said.

I don't think Light was that great as a LT last year, and they DRAFTED a LT.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing Solder wait around for a year and learn from Light, but if he's ready, I'd rather see him start and Light at RG.

This all assumes that Cannon is not healthy and/or ready to start. I hope he is and this all becomes mute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back