PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard Tweet: Light and Patriots hope to reach agreement today

Status
Not open for further replies.
This.

The Light signing is surprising to me - but I won't turn it down. I think it's a huge step, actually. As much as I want Solder to be a stud, it's too much to rely on him this early.

Going into the offseason, OL was a bit of a question mark with so many pieces up in the air. Re-signing Light means we can cut Kaczur, if we want, save some money, and still have a rock solid OL.

Good point. Kaczur will almost certainly be released simultaneous to any Light deal.

This.

The Light signing is surprising to me - but I won't turn it down. I think it's a huge step, actually. As much as I want Solder to be a stud, it's too much to rely on him this early.

Going into the offseason, OL was a bit of a question mark with so many pieces up in the air. Re-signing Light means we can cut Kaczur, if we want, save some money, and still have a rock solid OL.
I agree. I thought he was gone.

Watching in a game last year against the Jets and seeing him beaten badly by Jason Taylor on a play or two reminded me he's past his prime.

I think he's doing this for his family. He is intelligent enough to have a real working career after football. What does he have, four children? His wife and they are reportedly very happy living here.

Why risk it for a few extra million? Not bad for a Purdue grad if I don't say so myself.

It's the quality of life. And he's pretty much already set for life. Now he can go out with style and Solder can get the seasoning to step in when he's ready next year.

And who wants to go around limping around the golf course for the rest of his life because he played too late. Most of these professional athletes hang on too long. Who can blame them?

It's often all they've got. But not in Matt's case.

I would expect the contract to be a 1 or 2 year contract for around $4 million a year.

I really hope so. There just really aren't any old O-lineman in the leauge. Bunch of guys Light's age (33-34), but only 4 guys older than that, and all of them were much better than Light at their primes.

Did you mean Fat Albert?

No I mean Matt Light might have to move around, dependent on this team's need.. he may be on the bench some games, and might be at right tackle on others.

I'm guessing he's staying around for a couple more years at a discount rate because he sees the Pats as not only home, but as his best shot at winning it all.

This is good insurance until Solder is ready. And it likely keeps Kaczur off the field.

I expect Deus is pleased.

More than that, this means its VERY likely that Kazcur and his relatively big cap number is gone.

It also conjures up another scenario. Light comes in and starts the year as the LT while Solder gets up to speed. By mid season Solder takes over and Light finishes the year as a back up. Meantime the Pats DON'T cave and give Mankins the moon. He plays under the franchise tag and is gone in 2012 at which point Solder is ready to be the LT and Light slides down to LG for the next 2-3 years and we don't miss a beat. So we start the 2012 season with a OL of Solder, Light, Koppen, Cannon, Volmer, with Koppen's replacement drafted in 2012. So by 2013 the Pats will have a revamped OL with Solder and Volmer beginning a long run of Pro Bowls, and Brewster starting a long 10+ year career as the Pats starting C.

More than that, this means its VERY likely that Kazcur and his relatively big cap number is gone.

It also conjures up another scenario. Light comes in and starts the year as the LT while Solder gets up to speed. By mid season Solder takes over and Light finishes the year as a back up. Meantime the Pats DON'T cave and give Mankins the moon. He plays under the franchise tag and is gone in 2012 at which point Solder is ready to be the LT and Light slides down to LG for the next 2-3 years and we don't miss a beat. So we start the 2012 season with a OL of Solder, Light, Koppen, Cannon, Volmer, with Koppen's replacement drafted in 2012. So by 2013 the Pats will have a revamped OL with Solder and Volmer beginning a long run of Pro Bowls, and Brewster starting a long 10+ year career as the Pats starting C.

Except that Light and Mankins are very different both in personalities and playing style. We absolutely need Mankins at LG. Mankins plays mean, and his nastiness establishes the attitude of the entire line.

This is terrific news. Having the core of the OL under contract heading in to training camp is more critical this year than ever so these guys have their timing down by week #1. Remember when Mankins showed up midway through the 2010 season and everything really started to click in both the running game and the passing game.

Matt Light is one of those anchor leaders on this team who will help keep dipsh*#s like Fat Albert in line, and he was the key player in the CBA negotiations for the Patriots.

Fat Albert will have his hands full if he starts acting out. How would you like Mankins, Light, Vollmer, Koppen, Wilfork, and Warren getting in your face if you started whining? Hey, hey hey!!

Belichick must feel like it's the early 2000s with the depth of leadership on this team. Talented knuckleheads like Merriweather, Spikes and Haynesworth are manageable witha locker room filled with veterans to maintain order. Plus these guys should all get a photo of Randy Moss for their lockers to remember what happens if you go public with your idiocy.

Last edited:
I'm fine with all of this except Solder starting by midseason. As was the case with Vollmer, I would only expect Solder to start if there is an injury. I would not expect Belichick to want to replace LIght midseason.

With regard to Mankins, I agree that Light is Mankins insurance. We'll get some clue by the value and length of Light's contract. If it is a high-value long-term contract then I would expect us not to be signing Mankins.

Light stays for these two reasons I suspect:

1)Quality of life / continuity for family
2) Staying here affords him the best chance for another ring, the most important football goal.

This means Solder can develop and that Penn State kid, Ohrenberger, is not going to make it. Even if he does, he's going to get beaten up by Haynesworth in training camp.

And they trade Kaczur for more than they gave up for Haynesworth. Wouldn't that be amazing?

Light surely isn't as good as he once was but I hope we leave room to get Mankin's locked up long term before he hits the market next year.

Mankins counts almost 11 million against the cap this year.

That means the Patriots have a ton of room to resign Mankins.

I think by signing Light it frees us up to talk trade with Mankins. There are ALOT of teams out there that have to start spending to get up to that 99% threshold, Mankins would be a solid guy in any system. Between Light, Solder and Kaczur we need a LT, LG and a solid backup. I think they will address Mankins after this free for all, most likely trading him for a pick. IMHO.

Light should take some reps at left guard.

Let's see Vollmer play a little LT, and mix Solder in on the right side.

Next season: Solder/Mankins/Koppen or other/Light/Vollmer

Except that Light and Mankins are very different both in personalities and playing style. We absolutely need Mankins at LG. Mankins plays mean, and his nastiness establishes the attitude of the entire line.

Couldn't disagree more. Light and Mankins have EXACTLY the same attitudes and playing style. Most had Light moving to G when he came into the League. Light has been a very good LT, but he might have had the all pro career as a LG as Mankins had if the Pats had moved him to LG. Light been an very good power run blocker. In fact what was a weakness in is game as a LT (speed rushers) ,would be greatly mitigated by a move to LG.

In Fact how is this for a possible scenario. Mankins signed his franchise tag with the idea that the Pats will trade him THIS year. Maybe the Pats see Solder as being capable of starting right away and Light will start the season as the LG and the Pats walk away with the OL they are comfortable with and a first or 2nd rounder for next season I know that Oakland is looking for a OG with Gallery moving on. :D

This is my favorite move from the pats in free agency thus far.

Bedard tweets that a contract is in the work between the Patriots and Matt Light and that an agreement will hopefully be reached today.

Excellent, surprising news.

I'm very pleased.

I assume this means that the Patriots release Kaczur.
Light, Vollmer, and Solder is adequate depth.
Hopefully the cap impact is close to a wash with any savings from Kazcur.
Kaczur offers a bit more than a $3mm cap savings by releasing him.

Light surely isn't as good as he once was but I hope we leave room to get Mankin's locked up long term before he hits the market next year.

If we do resign Mankins, his 2011 cap hit will certainly be reduced from its current $10M.

This will be Light's last year as the starting LT.

Next year it's Solder's, that physical freak of nature who's smart.

They probably sign him to a two-year contract, paying him next year even if he doesn't play as a present for being a decade-long loyal warrior for us.

Mankins isn't going anywhere. With him in, we have that nasty run blocker we haven't had since Hannah. And we've invested in a lot of beef--OG Marcus Cannon, that mammoth TE Lee Smith--to have a legitimate smash-mouth running game.

Light will go out of here as he came in, notwithstanding the chatter: a tackle.

If we do resign Mankins, his 2011 cap hit will certainly be reduced from its current $10M.

Yeah, several people have noted that, I didn't consider that when I posted.

I also didn't mean to imply I was unhappy about Light returning, I think it is great for Solder to have Light back (but how long will his contract be? Vollmer is the RT of the future it appears and if we lock up Light for a few years ...where does Solder come in, right guard?). If it is more than a one-year deal it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, unless we plan to trade him next season when Solder has had time to adjust and learn the offense.

Regardless, I think this is great news for the here and now, but puzzling for the future considering our 1st round draft choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back