PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Koppen, Stallworth, and Bulman among vets who could be cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a little different take regarding Koppen. Assuming Waters is back and the starting interior line is Mankins, Connolly and Waters...I can see Koppen sticking as a gameday active backup along with Cannon. If Connolly is hurt, Koppen subs for him. If Mankins/Waters are hurt, Connolly slides to guard with Koppen at center. As long as Koppen is one of the top 4 options for interior line, I don't see lack of position flexibility as an issue.

I can see Wendell fighting 2 roster battles...with Koppen for a spot with the gameday actives and (if he loses) with McDonald for a place on the 53. If Wendell wins the gameday active battle, I can't see Koppen sticking as a gameday inactive.
If Brian Waters returns to the New England Patriots, I foresee the final offensive line roster battle as Wendell versus Koppen. Wendell is too undersized for my taste to be an effective offensive guard.

Starters
Solder
Mankins
Koppen/Wendell
Waters
Vollmer

Backups
Cannon
Connelly
McDonald
Thomas

If Brian Waters returns to the New England Patriots, I foresee the final offensive line roster battle as Wendell versus Koppen. Wendell is too undersized for my taste to be an effective offensive guard.

Starters
Solder
Mankins
Koppen/Wendell
Waters
Vollmer

Backups
Cannon
Connelly
McDonald
Thomas

If Waters is back Connolly will be the starting center IMO. Last year I thought he was better than Koppen.

I have a little different take regarding Koppen. Assuming Waters is back and the starting interior line is Mankins, Connolly and Waters...I can see Koppen sticking as a gameday active backup along with Cannon. If Connolly is hurt, Koppen subs for him. If Mankins/Waters are hurt, Connolly slides to guard with Koppen at center. As long as Koppen is one of the top 4 options for interior line, I don't see lack of position flexibility as an issue.

I can see Wendell fighting 2 roster battles...with Koppen for a spot with the gameday actives and (if he loses) with McDonald for a place on the 53. If Wendell wins the gameday active battle, I can't see Koppen sticking as a gameday inactive.

With Koppen and Cannon backing up Solder-Mankins-Connolly-Water-Vollmer as you mentioned what happens if say Vollmer's back gives out and Cannon gets hurt? You'd probably have to move Mankins from LG to RT, Connolly from C to LG, put Koppen in at C. They might possibly even move Mankins to LT with Solder going to RT (I doubt it but both have played those positions).

You'd now have a minimum of 3 starting positions compromised.

You could go that route or you could put McDonald in at RT (who could back up at all 5) and keep Solder, Mankins, Connolly and Waters at their natural starting position. Which one is more preferable? It's precisely why they want positional flexibility.

Last edited:
With Koppen and Cannon backing up Solder-Mankins-Connolly-Water-Vollmer as you mentioned what happens if say Vollmer's back gives out and Cannon gets hurt? You'd probably have to move Mankins from LG to RT, Connolly from C to LG, put Koppen in at C. They might possibly even move Mankins to LT with Solder going to RT (I doubt it but both have played those positions).

You could go that route or you could put McDonald in at RT (who could back up at all 5) and keep Solder, Mankins, Connolly and Waters at their natural starting position. Which one is more preferable? It's precisely why they want positional flexibility.

Like you and everyone else, I am excited and happy for the versatility of Nick McDonald. There are a couple of problems however.

1. He's hurt and expected to miss 2-3 games into the regular season at the least. That could change the picture, so could any return of Brian Waters. We've talked before about needing Connelly at RG if Waters doesn't return, and that would likely be the plan.

2. Although McDonald certainly has the capability of playing tackle, he didn't look too hot at it from what I understand, although I would expect him to make more strides on the outside as his reps and practices progressed. I think he was pretty used to being an interior guy here.

There are several variables still, as there have been all summer regarding the offensive line and its combinations. The McDonald injury probably adds yet another variable to the situation.

My personal opinion is still that Koppen makes it, but it's very much up in the air still. We've had some good conversations about this subject. We'll have to see how it plays out.

With Koppen and Cannon backing up Solder-Mankins-Connolly-Water-Vollmer as you mentioned what happens if say Vollmer's back gives out and Cannon gets hurt?

Even worse, what happens if Cannon actually has to play? ;)

Like you and everyone else, I am excited and happy for the versatility of Nick McDonald. There are a couple of problems however.

1. He's hurt and expected to miss 2-3 games into the regular season at the least. That could change the picture, so could any return of Brian Waters. We've talked before about needing Connelly at RG if Waters doesn't return, and that would likely be the plan.

2. Although McDonald certainly has the capability of playing tackle, he didn't look too hot at it from what I understand, although I would expect him to make more strides on the outside as his reps and practices progressed. I think he was pretty used to being an interior guy here.

There are several variables still, as there have been all summer regarding the offensive line and its combinations. The McDonald injury probably adds yet another variable to the situation.

My personal opinion is still that Koppen makes it, but it's very much up in the air still. We've had some good conversations about this subject. We'll have to see how it plays out.

I don't know if anyone other than the team knows the significance of the injury.

It's not excitement over McDonald's versatility, it's just common sense. The level of play being fairly equal, a player who can back up at 5 positions is infinitely more valuable than one who can play only one. I think the center job is Connolly's whether Waters returns or not. If Waters doesn't return I see Thomas as the RG.

McDonald played well enough where he could project to fill in in a emergency situation if he was needed to, as in the example where the 2nd and 3rd tackle go down in a game. Again, it would be preferable to moving at least two other starters to another position to accommodate the backup center.

I could be wrong but I just don't know if his level of play at this point justifies a starting position or roster spot over younger and more versatile players.

Your scenario is that 2 of the 3 active OTs are hurt. At that point, you only have 5 lineman active so there is little choice on who is playing. As for where they play, that is less important than having the best 5 on the field. No team is going to look pretty with 2 OTs hurt in the same game.

My point was that position flexibility involves the starters as well as the backups. There is no difference between having a starter that can play C/OG or a backup that can play C/OG. Either can shift if needed.

If McDonald is top 4 on the interior line depth chart, he should be active. If he isn't, having the ability to slide to OT doesn't move him up that depth chart. If Koppen is top 4 on the interior line depth chart, he should be active. ..regardless of position inflexibility. You need position flexibility to have an effective group of linemen. You just don't need flexibility at EVERY position to make it work.

Per twitter Bulman cut and Stallworth released (per PFT).

Warren released was really no surprise.....we need more youth on that DL

Ventrone was cut too. So it begins for 2012/13...

We need to start up the Ross Ventrone Benevolence Fund...

Per twitter Bulman cut and Stallworth released (per PFT).

Sad to see Bulman released, for both personal & professional reasons.
I thought he might've had a legit chance to stick, because he most closely resembled Fanene
in height/weight/position flexiblity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft