Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Today Reiss:
--------------

"1. The Patriots like versatility among their offensive linemen, because if players can factor on the depth chart at two positions, it allows the team to dress seven linemen on the 46-man game-day roster and open a spot elsewhere (often for special teams). This is where veteran center Dan Koppen's value to the team interests me. Koppen is a center-only and in a practice when the Patriots gave Ryan Wendell top-unit reps at that spot, it bumped Koppen from the top five. The Patriots were thin at guard with Dan Connolly out of practice, so Robert Gallery (right) and Donald Thomas (left) flanked Wendell. Lingering question: If Koppen isn't a starter, do the Patriots see enough value to keep him on the roster?"
New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

A couple of days ago, Bedard:
----------------------------

"THUMBS DOWN
In our subjective opinion, center Dan Koppen has lost his last five one-on-one matchups, some very lopsided. His struggles are becoming predictable and alarming. Koppen hasn’t been able to match the strength of the Patriots’ defensive tackles, and his trademark feet don’t seem to be as quick. Brandon Deaderick easily went through Koppen in one-on-ones. Would be nice to see Dan Connolly get more reps in the starting spot he earned last season."
Practice rundown #5 - Extra Points - Boston.com

Last night, Bedard:
------------------

"•Koppen’s losing streak now sits at seven straight reps, and he wasn’t really close in this practice. Koppen set too hard of an edge against Ron Brace, and the tackle easily moved him out out of the way. Love used a club move to completely knock Koppen off balance on his final rep."
Practice rundown #6 - Extra Points - Boston.com

Last edited:
Deus reported that he doesn't seem to confident in his leg. I hope that's the case. If it's the case of Koppen hitting the wall, then I pray for the return to health of one Logan Mankins and the general return of one Brian Waters because, if the Koppen has hit the wall, we're really going to need Connolly's services at center. Everyone knows Brady's kryptonite...

Loved Dans contributions over the years but I got to admit that Connolly was a breath of fresh air at the vented position last year.

Connolly is hands down better at stopping behemoth bull crusher's than Koppen. ALSO think Connolly is a much better center than guard.

Loved Dans contributions over the years but I got to admit that Connolly was a breath of fresh air at the vented position last year.

Connolly is hands down better at stopping behemoth bull crusher's than Koppen. ALSO think Connolly is a much better center than guard.

Agreed, I don't want any parts of Koppen playing center over Connolly unless there is an injury. And since Koppen seems to be a one trick pony at this point, it might be time to let him go.

I think Connolly is the better player at C now, anyway. Hurts the depth for sure, unless McDonald can step up. But it's not like Koppen hasn't been trending down for a while now.

I think Connolly is the better player at C now, anyway. Hurts the depth for sure, unless McDonald can step up. But it's not like Koppen hasn't been trending down for a while now.

Koppen was never great to begin with. He's been surrounded by superstars for most of his career.

I do NOT think that this is a matter of Koppen being better than Connolly. It is a matter of Koppen being better that Wendell or even McDonald. Koppen COULD have a place on this team as the game day interior line backup, with Connolly moving to guard if there is an injury at guard, and Koppen to center. After all, the same would happen if either of the alternatives are the Game Day interior backup. Both Wendell and McDonald would move to center with Connolly moving to guard with a Game Day injury.

That being said, the competition is on, and it is not clear who will be the winner of the competition for our 2nd center, in addition to Connolly.

I'll admit that A Gap penetration by DT's was not as much of a problem in the playoffs as it had been in 2009 and 2010 with Connolly at center, but I don't think he's a better center than a guard. Either way, he's ideally someone you want as a back-up.

I'll admit that A Gap penetration by DT's was not as much of a problem in the playoffs as it had been in 2009 and 2010 with Connolly at center, but I don't think he's a better center than a guard. Either way, he's ideally someone you want as a back-up.

He's better than Koppen at Center at this point.

It is his first week back from a season ending injury. He will be given til the last cutdown day to prove himself. One thing that is concerning though is that he appeared to be on the decline before the injury. He may be winding down his career.

Or maybe it's just that our DT are getting so much better than he can't handle them anymore?

It is his first week back from a season ending injury. He will be given til the last cutdown day to prove himself. One thing that is concerning though is that he appeared to be on the decline before the injury. He may be winding down his career.

That's the thing. In his last full game, he was getting bullied by anybody who lined up against him on the Jets' defense.

Don't fall in love with the veterans..

Hey, if this is the end of the line for Dan Koppen, let's salute him for his eight seasons in the middle of a very successful line. He stepped in as a rookie and took over the job from Damien Woody who went on to get the contract he deserved. Koppen made the Pro Bowl in 2007, has two SB rings and is the last OL left from the 2004 championship team. He's been a key piece for a long time and earned our respect. Best of luck, big guy.

Hey, if this is the end of the line for Dan Koppen, let's salute him for his eight seasons in the middle of a very successful line. He stepped in as a rookie and took over the job from Damien Woody who went on to get the contract he deserved. Koppen made the Pro Bowl in 2007, has two SB rings and is the last OL left from the 2004 championship team. He's been a key piece for a long time and earned our respect. Best of luck, big guy.

Well said.

I'm fine with Koppen being a one-position pony at center -- but only if he can actually play well there.

The knock on him coming out of school was his strength, so unfortunately it stands to reason that he might not last as long on the downside of his career as some other OLs.

Today Reiss:
--------------

"1. The Patriots like versatility among their offensive linemen, because if players can factor on the depth chart at two positions, it allows the team to dress seven linemen on the 46-man game-day roster and open a spot elsewhere (often for special teams). This is where veteran center Dan Koppen's value to the team interests me. Koppen is a center-only and in a practice when the Patriots gave Ryan Wendell top-unit reps at that spot, it bumped Koppen from the top five. The Patriots were thin at guard with Dan Connolly out of practice, so Robert Gallery (right) and Donald Thomas (left) flanked Wendell. Lingering question: If Koppen isn't a starter, do the Patriots see enough value to keep him on the roster?"
New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

A couple of days ago, Bedard:
----------------------------

"THUMBS DOWN
In our subjective opinion, center Dan Koppen has lost his last five one-on-one matchups, some very lopsided. His struggles are becoming predictable and alarming. Koppen hasn’t been able to match the strength of the Patriots’ defensive tackles, and his trademark feet don’t seem to be as quick. Brandon Deaderick easily went through Koppen in one-on-ones. Would be nice to see Dan Connolly get more reps in the starting spot he earned last season."
Practice rundown #5 - Extra Points - Boston.com

Last night, Bedard:
------------------

"•Koppen’s losing streak now sits at seven straight reps, and he wasn’t really close in this practice. Koppen set too hard of an edge against Ron Brace, and the tackle easily moved him out out of the way. Love used a club move to completely knock Koppen off balance on his final rep."
Practice rundown #6 - Extra Points - Boston.com

The thing about position flexibility is that the unit as a whole is what matters.
In the example above if you are keeping 7 game days actives, the logical thought is that one reserve should be able to play C and both Gs.
However if that reserve is a C and the starting C can play C and both Gs, you have the same end result.
Whether Koppen has hit the wall in his career is another question, but position flexibility is not going to matter in earning a roster spot, because if he is a reserve, the starting C can also play both G spots, so Koppen would effectively back up all 3.

The thing about position flexibility is that the unit as a whole is what matters.
In the example above if you are keeping 7 game days actives, the logical thought is that one reserve should be able to play C and both Gs.
However if that reserve is a C and the starting C can play C and both Gs, you have the same end result.
Whether Koppen has hit the wall in his career is another question, but position flexibility is not going to matter in earning a roster spot, because if he is a reserve, the starting C can also play both G spots, so Koppen would effectively back up all 3.

He'd be a pricey backup but then we had Ocho in 2011 so that's the new normal.

He'd be a pricey backup but then we had Ocho in 2011 so that's the new normal.

Doesnt matter because we have room under the cap.
Wouldn't make much sense to not keep the best guy, just in order to have more cap space we won't be using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes