PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB's take on thinking of 16-0 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about we revisit this discussion, oh, say in December if it is still relevant, OK...? We don't have to be instant gratification mediots in here.

Here's my take on 16-0. I don't think it's necessarily a goal of BB or this team but......

While some teams might take their foot off the gas once they have clinched a playoff spot, I think a lot more rides on home field advantage. The last few seasons, teams have shown they can win upwards of 14 games which means 12 or 13 wins won't get you home field.

I believe BB has built the Pats this offseason with two things in mind.

Gaining home field thru the playoffs and being able to match Indy's offense.

Is there any doubt that Indy is going to win 13-14 games this season? Their schedule is somewhat cupcake if you will.

To force them to come to Foxboro in January, it's probably going to take 14+ wins and I do believe home field for the playoffs is on the mind of coach Belichick. We all know a lot can happen between now and then so we will just have to see how it plays out.

Last edited:
Games at Indy, Cincy, Baltimore, Dallas are all tough games. To win all 4 is a lot to ask of any team. Yes the Pats will be favored in all of them except Indy but it's still an upset if you get through all of them. Then after Baltimore it's Pitt at home on a short week.

It's fun to think about but unlikely, but as I said, get through 13, they're win the rest .

Yes the Pats will be favored in all of them except Indy but it's still an upset if you get through all of them.

Indy favored over the pats? Last time I checked we have looked like the best team (best D, second best offense), we dominated a top 3 team that was supposed to win the SB last year, and Vegas has like 2:1 odds of us winning the SB. We will be the favorites the whole way if we keep up our play.

16-0 is dependent on luck. Yes the team has the talent, coach staff, and motivation, but luck is huge. No key players can get seriously injured, nor can there be a big injury bug. Also, we could very well lose one of the tough games. On top of that, we could just have an unlucky game. It happens. This team can go 16-0 if everything falls in place. Lets hope it does.

Brady is 10-1 in Domes, not including playoffs, which pushes that number even higher. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:
Brady is 10-1 in Domes, not including playoffs, which pushes that number even higher. 'Nuff said.

Minor picky point, but I can't remember which game Brady lost in a dome in the regular season... (obv the 2006 AFCC, but we're talking reg. season)...

Off the top of my head:

2001 Losses (Credited to Brady): @Miami, @Denver, St Louis (home)
2002 Losses: @SD, @Mia, GB, Den, @Oak, @Ten, NYJ (man, that 2002 team was wretched)
2003 Losses: @Buf, @Was
2004 Losses: @Pit, @Mia
2005 Losses: @Car, SD, @Den, Ind (home), @KC, Mia
2006 Losses: Den, Ind (home), NYJ, @Mia

The Dallas game at TX Stadium will be interesting.

For some reason, Dallas tends to play very well against AFC opponents in TX Stadium-last year, we smacked Indy a good one, and if it weren't for a FG miss against Denver on T-Giving, everyone would have said how our front 7 contained Denver's O.

Of course-NE is head and shoulders above those teams though.

I see your point, but there is no comparison here. That team had no DL, injured WRs for most of the year, poor running game, awful safety play and a not nearly as good Tom Brady.

The 2007 NE Patriots would destroy the 2002 team 45-3.

By halftime.

The problem with your logic is that none of those flaws were apparent the first two weeks of 2002. The chinks in the Pats armor didn't show until that awful 4 game losing streak. Problems with the Pats could emerge this year, though I highly doubt it. Still, the 2002 season is a cautionary tale not to go overboard. The real quality of any team in the league doesn't become clear until November anyway.

Also there is no way in hell Belichick will rest starters before the playoffs under any circumstance. He's not that stupid. Remember what happened to Indy in 2005, and remember how Belichick treated the San Francisco season finale in 2004.

Yes, you will. I'm sure Belichick would not let up when we are 13-0 or 14-0. He will push it. Not in order to finish undefeated, but to keep the team on edge.

Remember, this team had a winning streak over 20 games long. There is no, Lose Now, Win the Super Bowl mentality here.

Disagree.

The 21 game streak was due to the fact it was at the tail end of one season and the head of another..and included the playoffs. There was never a point the Patriots were not playing for something.

If your hoping for the undefeated season, then you should hope the Colts or the Chargers are one game behind the Patriots(with their only loss being to the Pats) Then only the 16th game won't matter(If the Pats finish 15-1 they'll have the tiebreaker on colts/bolts). This would mean the Pats could start their second string the last game, but this is an almost impossible scenario.

Anyway.. if you think about how BB operates I really don't see him doing anything to jeopardize the superbowl run...including not resting his starters. You might see them a half-game in week 16 and not at all week 17. Then theres the bye round. etc...

A week ago the media wants Bill's head on a platter..Now they're asking him about going 16-0?Unreal...
The December game against the Jets will be interesting no matter what. I think all the fans should show up with video cameras as a big FU to Sammy the Bull Mangini:D

The problem with your logic is that none of those flaws were apparent the first two weeks of 2002. The chinks in the Pats armor didn't show until that awful 4 game losing streak. Problems with the Pats could emerge this year, though I highly doubt it. Still, the 2002 season is a cautionary tale not to go overboard. The real quality of any team in the league doesn't become clear until November anyway.

Also there is no way in hell Belichick will rest starters before the playoffs under any circumstance. He's not that stupid. Remember what happened to Indy in 2005, and remember how Belichick treated the San Francisco season finale in 2004.

Not really. You are correct that the problems were exposed during that part of the season, but we know that most of these players are better than the 2002 counterparts. Do you really think that the DL will be exposed like NE's was? Or that the secondary is going to be exposed? These aren't going to happen because we know what the players can do.

I will grant you, however, that an injury to Moss and Welker and suddenly the offense looks decidedly mediocre. So my WR injury statement is probably misplaced.

Will any team ever have a 16-0 season? Once you've clinched your place in the playoffs you're not going to kill your starters for a perfect season.

Bill has a keen sense of football history (witness the records set in our final game these past two seasons). I think he would try for 16-0 even without the bull**** of this season.

The 14-0 Dophins had an historically weak schedule. They played ZERO playoff teams during the regular season. It is theoretically impossible for a modern team not to face at least two playoff teams.

Going 16-0 is a truly unlikely event. Even if we handle Indy, Pittsburgh, Dallas and Cinci, we are liable to get tripped up by one of the lesser teams in the league.

But I think that the Partiots have a better shot than any recent team. (Which probably explains my preseason prediction of 16 wins :))

Bill has a keen sense of football history (witness the records set in our final game these past two seasons). I think he would try for 16-0 even without the bull**** of this season.

The 14-0 Dophins had an historically weak schedule. They played ZERO playoff teams during the regular season. It is theoretically impossible for a modern team not to face at least two playoff teams.

Going 16-0 is a truly unlikely event. Even if we handle Indy, Pittsburgh, Dallas and Cinci, we are liable to get tripped up by one of the lesser teams in the league.

But I think that the Partiots have a better shot than any recent team. (Which probably explains my preseason prediction of 16 wins :))

It isn't "theoretically" impossible, it is just impossible. Every team plays two entire divisions besiders their own. Someone has to win both of them. ;)

It isn't "theoretically" impossible, it is just impossible. Every team plays two entire divisions besiders their own. Someone has to win both of them. ;)

Well, one of those divisions is in the NFC, where some teams don't so much "win" the division as end up in first place because they stink the least. :snob:

The competition committee has made the following suggestions to

Goodell to keep a 16-0 Pats season from occurring:

1. No Pats scouts permitted to attend opponent's games.

2. No opponent's game film supplied to Pats.

3. Hockey penalty on Pats making them play with 10 players to
opponents 11.

Last edited:
Well we've had two season recently with just two losses - and this team is more talented IMO. Not to mention that those 17-2 teams had a fair number of injuries. If, and it's a huge if, we get through the season with below average (quantity and mostly quality) injuries then I think it's possible. There's just so much that can de-rail it though.

Dan Marino just said exactly what I said on this topic. I guess he read my post. ;) j.k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back