PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB's post game presser: interesting comments about the Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's also a message to the rest of the league. "Complain about us allegedly cheating and I'll give the media and other teams a road map as to how we just beat you." Go ahead make my day.............

Most teams simply can't do what the Patriots can do. It's not necessarily because they're too dumb or arrogant. It's usually because they're incapable, for any number of reasons.

That would make for an interesting thread.. what is it that the Patriots do better than other team? (Other than having BB and Brady).

That would make for an interesting thread.. what is it that the Patriots do better than other team? (Other than having BB and Brady).

They layer depth throughout their roster than any team.

They are a game plan team as opposed to a we do what we do team. This affords them greater game planning flexibility.

Most teams simply can't do what the Patriots can do. It's not necessarily because they're too dumb or arrogant. It's usually because they're incapable, for any number of reasons.

Maybe the main reason is they don't have BB as coach and Brady as QB?

Beat me to the punch PP2...

I saw others picked up on this in another thread.

He actually goes into details about what the Steelers do and the kinds of coverages they played...which he almost never does in a post game presser.

Maybe it's coincidence...but it also seemed there was a purpose to this...like Bill is subtly "scouting" them for the rest of their opponents...if you know what I mean....

Maybe Im overthinking it but could this be Bill's "revenge" on the league instead of "running up scores"? It will be interesting to hear if he does this again after future games...

As taciturn as BB is in some ways, he ENJOYS teaching football. So if he can rationalize to himself that doing so is expedient ... well, he'd actually be happy to reach that conclusion.

That said -- which opponents do you want to help their other opponents beat?
  • Your division rivals -- probably, although eventually they get higher draft picks out of it.
  • Your opponents in divisions that your whole division plays -- probably not.
  • Last year's #1 from other divisions -- probably, if you think they will win the division again.
Complicating things further -- if you show your hand on scouting them, does that help future opponents, or does it actually help them realize what they've already given away?

I don't think it will help. I actually think most other coaches are idiots - Tomlin included.

They are a game plan team as opposed to a we do what we do team. This affords them greater game planning flexibility.

Definitely part of the overall strategy- but there's much more to it than that. The concept of specific game-planning and valuing a well-stocked team over a few highly paid stars all had to be part of a philosophy many years in the making.

This is a big part of why BB values versatility and intelligence. Guys who do one thing one week have the capability of doing something else the next, even if they might not have as big a role the second time around. There are a lot of players in the league who are freakishly gifted one-truck ponies. Those guys generally don't fare as well on the Pats, but former team captains with good football intelligence and a willingness to work really hard find a role despite somewhat lesser physical skills at times.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2

Research. Which they then turn into practice and use against their opponents. Nothing exemplifies this better than the footage of them practicing the Seattle goal line pick route over and over and over. Ernie Adams had studied their tendencies and Belichick used that research to prepare them for what would become the play of the year.

Definitely part of the overall strategy- but there's much more to it than that. The concept of specific gg a well-stocked team over a few highly paid stars all had to be part of a philosophy many years in the making.
Yep. You asked responders to exclude the brilliance of BB and the ability of TB and frankly that's 90% of it. They've had incredibly talented people here as well- including coaches. If that talent isn't here, we aren't here right now.

This is a big part of why BB values versatility and intelligence. Guys who do one thing one week have the capability of doing something else the next, even if they might not have as big a role the second time around. There are a lot of players in the league who are freakishly gifted one-truck ponies. Those guys generally don't fare as well on the Pats, but former team captains with good football intelligence and a willingness to work really hard find a role despite somewhat lesser physical skills at times.
Yep! Can't have an ego here either and you need to watch film.....a lot of film.:p

Yep. You asked responders to exclude the brilliance of BB and the ability of TB and frankly that's 90% of it. They've had incredibly talented people here as well- including coaches. If that talent isn't here, we aren't here right now.

Ok, let me rephrase: I meant to say other than just giving out the stock answer to why the team has been so successful- "Oh, because we have BB and Brady."

In other words, yes we have those two individuals, but what traits, talents, abilities, and habits make them stand out from the rest, and be so consistently successful over such a long period of time (15 years is more than a lifetime in the NFL)?

I think this would make for a very interesting thread.

It's also a message to the rest of the league. "Complain about us allegedly cheating and I'll give the media and other teams a road map as to how we just beat you." Go ahead make my day.............

This is a definite possibility.
Another is that he sees in Pittsburgh a team that will be in the playoffs, and wants to run down their record so he can play them at home, if they meet again.
They don't play any other AFC East team this year, so he wouldn't be helping the Bills or Dolphins with this.

Other coaches can see what the Steelers were doing and how the Patriots attacked it. All they have to do is look at the tape. There's no secret FU in him talking about basic strategies that were employed. I think he's simply finding a way to keep the conversation about football and answering a football question in detail, rather than moving onto the host of stupid topics that were cued-up to be asked once he stopped talking about football.
Couldn't agree more. I just watched it. There was some headset talk at the beginning and as soon as he got decent football questions, he answered them at length. I thought it was Tom Curran who came in late and asked a repeat question about the OL and Bill didn't mind elaborating on his earlier answer, perhaps in part because Curran has been four-square in Bill's corner. For the technical stuff, maybe it was a little more detailed, but I didn't think there was anything in there that would help a Steelers opponent for a second.

Other than, of course, the Steelers being down 0-1 for the start of the season. Nothing Bill said could help more than that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST