PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB's honeymoon period

Status
Not open for further replies.
9-7 is a decent record, would be crazy to fire him after that

I <3 Von Miller tho.

Before anyone takes me seriously and freaks out, I should probably clarify that that was pure sarcasm. Given the problems that some people seem to have with Belichick, morbid curiosity is the only thing that'd keep me around if those same people were subjected to Marty.

Oh, I wasn't taking you seriously. Just discussing a hypothetical. :cool:

Last edited:
Nah...he's right you guys...time to can BB...and time for Kraft to go too....Goodell will approve any deal involving the sale of the Pats to Woody Johnson, and the subsequent merging of the two teams into a two tiered entity with the Patriots acting as the Jets farm team, in no need of physically present coaches.In essence ,Goodell will finally get what he was sent into the position of commissioner for, the destruction of the Jets nearest competitor as a viable business concern and a nearly insurmountable built in edge for the Jets as they essentially get a 108 man roster to use every season.

Win/win for iapatsfan AND the Jets

What's occurring now with this team (rebuilding) is a natural part of the NFL cycle that has little to do with coaching. The fact that BB and his staff have managed to log double-digit wins the last two seasons is testament to superior coaching with subpar talent. Given reasonable player health and a good 2011 draft, I would expect the Patriots to seriously content again in 2012 (assuming no lockout in 2011). This is a "bottoming out" season on the downward curve from the 2001-2004 peak and whatever success is enjoyed this year is gravy. BB is the primary reason this team hasn't had a losing season since 2000.

What's occurring now with this team (rebuilding) is a natural part of the NFL cycle that has little to do with coaching. The fact that BB and his staff have managed to log double-digit wins the last two seasons is testament to superior coaching with subpar talent. Given reasonable player health and a good 2011 draft, I would expect the Patriots to seriously content again in 2012 (assuming no lockout in 2011). This is a "bottoming out" season on the downward curve from the 2001-2004 peak and whatever success is enjoyed this year is gravy. BB is the primary reason this team hasn't had a losing season since 2000.

Well, I did find a nugget of intelligence in this thread, I believe we'll look back at the Baltimore playoff loss - Jets loss as the bottom of this latest curve.
I dont care if we went 5-11 I wouldnt can BB.

Who is this Belichick you Speak of?

No!

Belichick has just brought the team to ten straight seasons of 9 wins or more. No one has ever done that. We have won or tied for the division in all those years. We won the division last year.

What you are suggesting is that one season out of the playoffs might justify firing the coaching staff. That is ridiculous even for a sports message board.

I'm not basing this on one loss, nor am I saying it should happen. I'm just saying I can realistically see this team losing 6-7 more games this season, and if that happens and the Pats miss the playoffs, does that warrant the discussion?

I still cant see a lockout even though things look bleek at the moment.

I tend to look back at the previous dynasty, the Cowboys. Two reasons, the constant whining from that Dallas WR, and I lived in Dallas during their time. After 2 out of 3 they were history. Not sure if they even made the playoffs again (maybe once). The owner, much like this thread's author, thought he could find a better coach (actually, he could have selected from a field of 500 if I recall correctly). The Patriots are not the same team as 2001-2004, although, I think they missed the playoffs one year with the 11-5 record since thier last world championship. If Vegas gave me good odds, I'd bet BB had another dynasty in store for us. Seriously, "honeymoon".

Shula coached until he was 65, Landry until he was 64, Noll until he was 59.

All three spent their post-dynasty years bouncing around near 0.500, with an occasional stinker of a season and an occasional season of double-digit wins. In other words, after their respective dynasties ended, they were still pretty competent coaches until they retired. I expect Belichick to end up the same way.

Last edited:
man o man.

I am one level headed dude, or at least I would like to think that I am, but after reading this thread...I don't know...it's just really really bad.

All I know is this.

With BB and TB12 we have a high probability of a winning season...at the very least. I am more than happy to take it at that and work from there.

All three spent their post-dynasty years bouncing around near 0.500, with an occasional stinker of a season and an occasional season of double-digit wins. In other words, after their respective dynasties ended, they were still pretty competent coaches until they retired. I expect Belichick to end up the same way.

I'm putting my money on BB having another run.

When I saw the thread title I thought that Bill had married the hot Cougar chick in a quickie Vegas marriage/honeymoon thing.

If true - I’m sure that Bill was quite the stud for the first half of his wedding night but fell short in the second half…

I understand BB is one of the best coaches of all time, and he is a major reason the Pats have won three Superbowls, but every coach's time runs out. Based on the remaining schedule, I can realistically see 6-7 more losses this season. What happens if the Pats finish 9-7 or 8-8 and miss the playoffs? Does a new coaching staff even warrant discussion amongst ownership? This is his 11th year which far exceeds avg coaching stints in the NFL, but is it possible his offensive and defensive philosophies have become too predictable?

I know I am not an NFL coach, scout or any type of professional analyst whatsoever, but it does seem there has not been much diversity on offense or defense. Short pass of some type on 1st down, run for nothing on 2nd down and lob it down field on 3rd and long. It seems like this sequence of plays seems to happen too often.

I know in BB's defense the DL's job is to occupy blockers and let LBs get to the ball. It just doesn't seem this group of guys is suited for that style of D. It seems like the Pats personnel is better suited to shooting gaps and penetrating vs. hold and react. I guess I would just like to see some diversity in our game plans instead of trying to incorporate the same strategies we've always used with players that may not be suited for that style.

Vincent Jackson, Patrick Peterson and Von Miller 2011!!!!

Were you calling for BB's head after 2002 as well?

BB is 59 now though isn't he? Wonder in all reality how many "coaching years" he has left. Maybe 5-6.....Will be a sad f'in day around NE when BB hangs up the hoodie and the whistle.....

BB is 59 now though isn't he? Wonder in all reality how many "coaching years" he has left. Maybe 5-6.....Will be a sad f'in day around NE when BB hangs up the hoodie and the whistle.....

I've been wondering that lately, also. I would imagine he's got a pretty good idea of when he plans on turning the reins over.

So, when he does actually leave (which will be when HE decides he's ready) do we promote from within, or hire outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News