PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB retiring after this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, I understand if you disagree. Move on.

The personal attacks are kind of annoying though.

It's very unlikely. Doesn't mean it's impossible, and doesn't mean that it shouldn't be talked about.

You think the responses you've gotten are personal attacks? GROW UP. Those are NOTHING. FFS..

Face it. This thread is a stupid as those morons at PFW talking about it. McDaniels is NOT a HC in waiting. His limit is as a Good OC. He just doesn't have IT when it comes to handling personnel and no amount of tutelage under Belichick is gonna change it.

You think the responses you've gotten are personal attacks? GROW UP. Those are NOTHING. FFS..

Face it. This thread is a stupid as those morons at PFW talking about it. McDaniels is NOT a HC in waiting. His limit is as a Good OC. He just doesn't have IT when it comes to handling personnel and no amount of tutelage under Belichick is gonna change it.

i disagree with you completely about Josh NOT being HC material

i agree with you completely about BB NOT retiring any time soon

I predicted (only half-joking) a couple of years back that Belichick would retire after this year and Gruden would take his place. Belichick turns 60 in April and Gruden has refused to pursue a multitude of jobs for the last couple of years...almost like he has his eyes on a particular job. Stranger things have happened.

Right church, wrong pew, I think.

I imagine that BB would want either someone from his coaching tree or at least one of his "disciples" to take over. Interestingly enough, supposedly BB has said that one guy he think would be quite successful at the NFL level is Greg Schiano of Rutgers. . . .

If Belichick felt this was his last season, he wouldn't have traded for several high draft picks next year. He would have tried to load up for this year.

I honestly don't think he would do things any differently. Remember that under BB, the Pats developed a mission statement that the Patriots want to be competing for championships every year. I don't think he would hamstring his successor if he can avoid it.

The guy still appears to enjoy the game and has never mentioned retirement. I figure a few more 2009 years with the internal issues on that team and it might wear on him, but he seems to like this team.

Well, to be precise, a few years back he basically said he didn't see himself doing this when he was in his mid-to-late 70s. It's definitely clear, though, that he has aged considerably over the last decade or so.

I think it's more likely that Tom Brady retires before BB leaves the game.

I expect Brady to retire around 38,especially if he wins another SB or two...with Belichick I expect at least 5 more years.

I think Brady wants to play as long as he can, provided that he's still in the conversation of "best QB in the game." I don't see himself just giving it up for the sake of "doing something else," nor do I see him hanging around until he becomes a parody of himself (*cough* Favre *cough*).

Not yet, but I think he's a lot closer than people think. Two or three years maybe, before Brady.

I don't see it.

As I've said before, if there is one major reason why Belichick is unlikely to retire in the near future, it's this:

url1.jpg

It's very unlikely. Doesn't mean it's impossible, and doesn't mean that it shouldn't be talked about.

In the excellent NFL films documentary, "A Football Life," BB says he "doesn't want to be coaching into his 70's."

He's not even 60 yet.

I would say there's at the most, another decade left in him.

BB will stay as long as Brady is still the QB wech could be 4 more years

If you think BB is going to retire -- what do you think he'll do with his time once he does?

I think BB will stay at least as long as Brady does.

What happens when Brady retires will depend on the state of the team.

If the team looks to be pretty competitive I can definitely see him staying several more years past Brady's retirement so he can stick it to all the people who say he's nothing without Brady.

If the team doesn't look to be competitive I can definitely see him hanging it up and going out with Brady.

I think BB stays longer than Brady, so he can be defined as a separate entity from him..

As much as stats are for losers, predict that BB will want to win more games than Paul Brown, as that may be his personal measure of success.. Brown has 213 wins, BB has 175.

Think that McDaniels is heir apparent..

The most intelligent observation I've seen in this thread sadly is that the guys at PFW are morons... They'd just love the Belichick era to be over because surely a new regime would allow them to ascend to media relevancy...

Josh and Nick's careers have nothing to do with the timing on Bill's career. He set out here to build something that would endure his departure. Guys like Pioli and Dimetroff not to mention guys coming up under them are out there. Either could as easily return here if and when Bill decides to hang 'em up. Coaches like Schiano and Ferentz and Hill haven't even been lured into the lair yet. Josh isn't out of the running, although Mangini is permanently. And after testing the grass on the other side, Josh may be looking for stability at this point in his career. Even BOB could return after righting the ship in Happy Valley...That picture of Bill at practice yesterday didn't look like a guy getting ready to hang 'em up.

Bill isn't going anywhere other than a college gig - maybe even in Lacrosse... himself when the time comes, and he doesn't look like a guy looking for a hobby job just yet. About the only thing I could see ever resulting in him departing here in less than another several years would be Jonathan ascending to his father's seat and proving to not be his father's son and creating an atmosphere where Bill was no longer comfortable working with ownership.

Some may ask, "why was this thread moved to the Practice Squad?".:cool:

Look, let me first say that this is unlikely. But the guys on PFW in Progress raised this, and I was...intrigued.

Possible hints:

1. McDaniels is back. He's a perfect HC-in-waiting.
2. Caserio not leaving. If he has a chance to be Indy's GM, what would make him stay other than being promised our GM position?
3. Troy Brown doesn't think he has much longer. (Interview on WEEI today)
4. For what it's worth, this is the crankiest season i've ever seen BB being.

It's really unlikely, but...thoughts?
(And if you don't think he retires, how many years does he have left? I remember him saying he doesn't want to be one of those guys who coaches to 70.)

Thoughts.

1) I don't think a future HOF Head Coach, especially one hangs out with world-class Coaches like Nick Saban and Jimmy Johnson in the off-season, is going to select as his successor a guy who has succeeded at practically every job but HC; his standards both in friends and for the job are way too high. In other words, I think he hired Josh to do both what he does very well, which is coordinate an NFL Offense, and what he does very, very well, which is Coach Tom Brady (to the extent that TB still needs coaching).

2) I chuckle whenever I or anyone else out here tries to get inside the head of Bill Belichick and speak as though we know what he is thinking. We're all just guessing, so, in fairness, your guess is as good as mine or anyone else's. I'm just trying to say why I think my guess is better; but, it's still just a guess.

Last edited:
His dad coached till his late 70s. Football is his life. But I see him retiring in 7-10 years.

New here?

Suggest anything remotely close to upsetting the thumbsucking homers and they will trounce you like a bum on a ham sandwich.

Don’t be surprised if this thread doesn’t get moved into the Practice Squad because the footy pajama club gets teary eyed over the mere mention of BB actually retiring someday.

Last edited:
New here?

Suggest anything remotely close to upsetting the thumbsucking homers and they will trounce you like a bum on a ham sandwich.

Don’t be surprised if this thread doesn’t get moved into the Practice Squad because the footy pajama club gets teary eyed over the mare mention of BB actually retiring someday.

"The mere mention of BB actually retiring someday" != Unfounded speculation that BB will retire this year.

In the words of the great one "One game at a time" BB

"The mere mention of BB actually retiring someday" != Unfounded speculation that BB will retire this year.

Well, THAT changes everything... STONE HIM!!! :rolleyes:

The people hurling personal attacks at the OP are nothing but weasly Cyber-Bullies who know absolutely nothing more about when BB will retire than the thread starter. It's a tired act around here. Bunch of know-it-all's that really dont know a damn thing ganging up on other posters for not agreeing with them on what they dont "know".

Last edited:
New here?

Don’t be surprised if this thread doesn’t get moved into the Practice Squad because the footy pajama club gets teary eyed over the mere mention of BB actually retiring someday.
Wow that was a great prediction.

Who do you think wins the BCS Championship, LSU or Alabama.:D

Mississippi State??

Wow that was a great prediction.

Who do you think wins the BCS Championship, LSU or Alabama.:D

I didnt bother looking.. didnt need to. This place is as predictable as a white trash fight on Jerry Springer. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes