PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB comments on Chad Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
On WEEI, P. Shepherd asked BB if there were problems with CJ. BB said CJ is progressing, said that he is "going to be a good player for us" and mentioned although he wouldn't predict when CJ would have his "break out" game, to my ears seemed to imply a "break out" game was a question of "when" and not "if". Said that each week CJ has a set of plays designed for him, and depending on game situations will either have his number called or not, and Sunday happened to be a game where situations dictated other things. The tone of his comments was positive.

Last edited:
to be honest, iam tired of the whole chad jackson talk like he is jerry rice..maybe its just me so dont jump on me.....its a 53 man team and there are a lot of players doing better right now who we can be proud of ...when he plays and plays well consistently i will give him props...right now he is just another guy

He's no Jerry Rice, but no reason to turn on him yet.

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
You tire of rookies quickly. I can only wonder what you thought of D. Graham, B. Watson, and T. Warren after their rookie years.
i didnt expect them to the greatest ever in the first season. read your own post "after their rookie season"....thats what jackson is ..rookie...a lot of people are really expecting him to awesoem in the first 6 games of his season...
lighten up..iam a NE fan too...i just dont get awed by someone who is just potential as of now..when he plays and plays well...iam sure to give him props...i dont dislike the guy or anything ...he just needs to be on the field and do more for me to get excited ..plain and simple...relax...

SVN said:
to be honest, iam tired of the whole chad jackson talk like he is jerry rice..maybe its just me so dont jump on me.....its a 53 man team and there are a lot of players doing better right now who we can be proud of ...when he plays and plays well consistently i will give him props...right now he is just another guy

But the point is that the team really need another good wide receiver. So it's a lot harder to be patient with Jackson than it would be (say) with Laurence Maroney, given that we're well stocked at running back even without him.

I have to agree with SVN here, I see no reason to track Jackson's every move and constantly speculate what Jackson is up to. If he contributes this year it'll be nice. If he doesn't, he's a rookie. Until he shows otherwise he's just a rookie and it doesn't really matter whether he was drafted in the 2nd round or the 6th.

Then again I'm one of the few people not to dub Maroney the next Tomlinson.

He's a rookie.

SVN said:
i didnt expect them to the greatest ever in the first season. read your own post "after their rookie season"....thats what jackson is ..rookie...a lot of people are really expecting him to awesoem in the first 6 games of his season...
lighten up..iam a NE fan too...i just dont get awed by someone who is just potential as of now..when he plays and plays well...iam sure to give him props...i dont dislike the guy or anything ...he just needs to be on the field and do more for me to get excited ..plain and simple...relax...

Time-wise he's just finishing up training camp. Training camp is 5 or so weeks. We're just getting into the 5th week.

SVN said:
You're right. I do need to lighten up. Good advice.:)

Count me in as one of those fans who are officially off the CJ bandwagon... until he's on the field consistently and producing. I know, I know, he wasn't in TC, which is even more mind boggling considering how many here are so high on him :confused:

I have to admit I'll be surprised if CJ becomes a consistent producer this year - that said, I think there's a pretty good chance that by playoff time we'll have a pretty decent top three WR from some combination of (in order of likliehood) : Gabriel, Brown, Caldwell, Jackson, Gaffney.

edgecy said:
Count me in as one of those fans who are officially off the CJ bandwagon... until he's on the field consistently and producing. I know, I know, he wasn't in TC, which is even more mind boggling considering how many here are so high on him :confused:
edgecy,
You have every right to look skeptically at Jackson... I have to ask if his Alabama roots have any impact on your opinion. He famously abandoned his home state to play at Florida, and then played against you guys for years... just wondering...;)

Last edited:
I said earlier in the season that I did not expect Chad Jackson to make a huge impact this season, rookies rarely do. That doesn't mean he won't be a great WR for us in the future because he will be.

Still I think we will see a few flashes of greatness from him later this season, but to think he was going to step into the starting lineup this year as a rookie and become Jerry Rice right away is/was foolish.

Last edited:
Willie55 said:
Time-wise he's just finishing up training camp. Training camp is 5 or so weeks. We're just getting into the 5th week.

Right. And, realistically, only about half of training camp since the team is using its practices to prepare for games, not drill rookies.

I would look for Jackson to start getting integrated into the offense a bit more after the bye week.

Fickle fans. So, are you all off the Ben Watson bandwagon, too?

In this offense, give me one player who reliably produces. Moroney looked like a star against Cinci, and a dud against Miami. Why isn't everyone piling off that bandwagon?

On this offense, everyone runs hot and cold, depending on what the D gives us. I feel very good that Jackson will be a stud for us. BB is not one to blow smoke on something like this, especially if it means giving a rookie props. Classic BB would be to say, he's "getting better"-- it sounds like he went well beyond that in this interview.

I really think he will be good/great for us in the future and for those that are doubting that already, it is WAY to early to do so. and I think he will be one of those guys who will make a big play or two down the stretch that make a difference in a game.

I inferred from previous posts that plays are designed for him, and are either called or not. It is rare that rookies get plays designed for them, particularly if they have been rarely on the field. The reason some people are (still) high on him is because he has every tool you look for in a great receiver and the only thing holding him back is himself and, ahem, injuries. Such as a hamstring injury which has already sidelined more that a dozen high-profile athletes, generally for the entire season.

Considering the Pats are almost assured a playoff spot due to a weak division, we should care less about what happens during week 1-10. Gel during weeks 10-16, peak in the playoffs. CJ may not be Rice, but he will be Steve Smith, Houshmanzadeh, etc. Jeez.

zarakotas5 said:
I inferred from previous posts that plays are designed for him, and are either called or not. It is rare that rookies get plays designed for them, particularly if they have been rarely on the field. The reason some people are (still) high on him is because he has every tool you look for in a great receiver and the only thing holding him back is himself and, ahem, injuries. Such as a hamstring injury which has already sidelined more that a dozen high-profile athletes, generally for the entire season.

Considering the Pats are almost assured a playoff spot due to a weak division, we should care less about what happens during week 1-10. Gel during weeks 10-16, peak in the playoffs. CJ may not be Rice, but he will be Steve Smith, Houshmanzadeh, etc. Jeez.

I have been waiting for someone to agree with here - your it.

As the season rolls on, look for CJ to slowly but surely develop. As we round home and head for the playoffs, his contributions will be very much evident.

Do not be surprised if he really takes off in the playoffs. The guy is a player, it takes time for rookies and that is the reason for his slow start. Patience everybody - mark my words now, CJ will end up making several clutch catches later this year and in the playoffs.

RayClay said:
He's a rookie.

I will consider Jackson's rookie season a huge success if, by the end of the regular season and the beginning of the playoffs, he's beginning to resemble a #2 WR.

Given his hamstring, limited pre-season practice time, and rookie status no one should have any expecations for him in games 1-10 IMO.

If down the homestretch he can average between 3-4 catches a game, that projects out to #2 WR production and everyone should be happy to have that sort of a player going into the playoffs.

At that point, no one will remember weeks 1-10 anyway.

PonyExpress said:
edgecy,
You have every right to look skeptically at Jackson... I have to ask if his Alabama roots have any impact on your opinion. He famously abandoned his home state to play at Florida, and then played against you guys for years... just wondering...;)

LOL... damn, didn't think it was gonna be brought up here:D Yes, while it was a tragic to see him leave the state of Alabama to go play for the Gators, he never had any impact given that Florida and Auburn did not play in 2004 and 2005. Although it would have been insanely sweet to see him in a Tiger uniform :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back