PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Basically, we brought in Hines for Mason

I think people are placing entirely too much value on Hines making the roster.

He didn't practice all preseason, they didn't see him at all.

So instead of just cutting a draft pick and potentially losing him, they held onto him to see what he has because he got healthy.

The backend of the roster and practice squad will be a constant rotation of players as they kick the tires on guys to see what's out there on the open market.

Hines could be cut in a week or two and replaced with someone else if they determine he isn't very good or needs time to develop. His making the roster isn't written in stone.

I think people are placing entirely too much value on Hines making the roster.

He didn't practice all preseason, they didn't see him at all.

So instead of just cutting a draft pick and potentially losing him, they held onto him to see what he has because he got healthy.

The backend of the roster and practice squad will be a constant rotation of players as they kick the tires on guys to see what's out there on the open market.

Hines could be cut in a week or two and replaced with someone else if they determine he isn't very good or needs time to develop. His making the roster isn't written in stone.
Well...some have said that Hines is possibly the best run blocker on the team...similar to how Mason was. I don't think he is getting cut. This is from observations from people that have been to camp.

Last edited:
Well...some have said that Hines is possibly the best run blocker on the team...similar to how Mason was. I don't think he is getting cut. This is from observations from people that have been to camp.
I don’t know how anyone could know that unless they’re just assuming based off college… he barely practiced, he was injured the entire time.

The guy is massive, that always opens the possibility of “too big to fail” but he wasn’t overly strong or athletic in predraft workouts.

Maybe he was too injured to give a complete workout, I always leave open the possibly I am completely wrong.

I don’t know how anyone could know that unless they’re just assuming based off college… he barely practiced, he was injured the entire time.

The guy is massive, that always opens the possibility of “too big to fail” but he wasn’t overly strong or athletic in predraft workouts.

Maybe he was too injured to give a complete workout, I always leave open the possibly I am completely wrong.
I agree he didn't participate much in camp. Maybe they see he could "potentially" be the best blocker on the team...IDK.

Should have re-signed Karras then. Using a first to fill the hole at guard when tackle was a bigger need, was highly questionable.

And the problem all started when Bill signed Mason to the big extension instead of waiting a year and re-signing Thuney to it... After the 2017 season ended, Bill should've already understood that Thuney was a better prospect than Mason and budgeted accordingly.

What is the problem?
I don't know why my position is so difficult to understand. I must not be communicating well.

In 2021, we had an excellent line WITH ONWENU GETTING 58.5% OF THE SNAPS ON OFFENSE!

Who is good enough to take Onwenu's place as a backup taking over half the snaps? This is a matter of arithmetic.
===========
SAID ANOTHER WAY
In 2021, we had 6 OL's who took over 50% of the snaps.
This year, we have the five starters and then WHO at OG?
Do we anticipate a more significant role for Ferentz if there are any injuries among the 3 OL starters? If not Ferentz, then who? Hines? A PS player?

Last edited:
I don't know why my position is so difficult to understand. I must not be communicating well.

In 2021, we had an excellent line WITH ONWENU GETTING 58.5% OF THE SNAPS ON OFFENSE!

Who is good enough to take Onwenu's place as a backup taking over half the snaps? This is a matter of arithmetic.
===========
SAID ANOTHER WAY
In 2021, we had 6 OL's who took over 50% of the snaps.
This year, we have the five starters and then WHO at OG?
Do we anticipate a more significant role for Ferentz if there are any injuries among the 3 OL starters? If not Ferentz, then who? Hines? A PS player?
They could be a lot better in 2022 than they were in 2021. Suppose the OT's stay completely healthy. Onwenu is a bigger/better starter than Karras. Strange has been a turnkey player to date.

Who could be the big upgrade off the bench?

Cajuste could be a big boost off the bench, he's got size, length and is strong like King Kong. Russey could be a big contributor on the inside if the worst happens. I could even be wrong about Hines and his 330 pound self could be a road grader along the interior. Hambright and Dejarlais are sitting on PS's of two good teams, they could be brought over if injuries happen. There's no shortage of options.

They could be a lot better in 2022 than they were in 2021. Suppose the OT's stay completely healthy. Onwenu is a bigger/better starter than Karras. Strange has been a turnkey player to date.

Who could be the big upgrade off the bench?

Cajuste could be a big boost off the bench, he's got size, length and is strong like King Kong. Russey could be a big contributor on the inside if the worst happens. I could even be wrong about Hines and his 330 pound self could be a road grader along the interior. Hambright and Dejarlais are sitting on PS's of two good teams, they could be brought over if injuries happen. There's no shortage of options.
OK, you seem to believe that we are better off with Russey as our backup guard (2022) rather than Onwenu (2021). I disagree. Surely, you weren't suggesting that Cajuste is the first OG off the bench.

OK, you seem to believe that we are better off with Russey as our backup guard (2022) rather than Onwenu (2021). I disagree. Surely, you weren't suggesting that Cajuste is the first OG off the bench.
Russey is a center and IMO better then Ferentz at C (I don't care if he's never played an NFL game).

Cajuste is on the active roster, he, Herron and Hines get first crack at it until further notice. And yes, Cajuste could probably spot start at guard and they would be just fine, it's harder to play OT than it is Guard.

We didn't "bring in Hines for Mason," we put Onwenu at RG and drafted Strange to play LG.

Then we brought in a bunch of talented guys to fight for depth on the interior and Hines and Russey won out... for now. Bottom line, offensive line isn't an "issue" assuming they stay healthy, execute and stay away from wide zone running.

Mason's play slipped last year and wasn't worthy of what he was getting paid.
Sorry Ashley, but I'm calling complete BS on that revisionist history. There is no evidence that Shaq slipped last year. Moreover, he is currently being paid at most 7.5 million this year, (which includes performance bonuses) which is a bargain for one of the best guards in the league. That's real money, not the fake cap hit.

I completely share your enthusiasm for Chasen. Shortly after the draft, I posted the thoughts of an LSU insider I know. What I posted was that Hines was a massive disappointment because of his weight. He should have been at most 325, but his weight his senior year fluctuated between 350 and 365, which drove the LSU people nuts. He underachieved and was hurt a lot because he was weigh too heavy (pun intended). However, what was made clear to me from my LSU source was that if the Pats could keep him in shape, he is absolutely a bona fide NFL lineman. Chasen Hines at, say 320, is a huge steal and absolutely a high level potential starter.

The Patriot Way (in my mind) is to find lineman in the mid to late rounds and turn them into studs: Shaq, Thuney, Neal, Andrews (an UDFA!) etc. It's not drafting Strange in the first round. Moreover, Hines is an NFL ready lineman. He played in the SEC west, which is as close to the NFL as you can get. Cole Strange, who has tremendous upside, played at Division 2 UTC. I'm not saying Hines will be better than Strange, but Hines in the 6th round is way better value than Strange in the first

Cole Strange will experience baptism by fire this season.

The Patriot Way (in my mind) is to find lineman in the mid to late rounds and turn them into studs: Shaq, Thuney, Neal, Andrews (an UDFA!) etc. It's not drafting Strange in the first round.
Onwenu is Chasen Hines 1.0. A three year starter in college who excelled until his weight got out of control, which caused the pro scouts to shy away from him.

This brings to mind the missed opportunity in not drafting Trey Smith, a first round talent from Tennessee with medical red flags, who fell to the sixth round and now starts at RG for the Chiefs.

That could have been us.

Somewhere along the way we went from Seabass and Andruzzi and Neal to the reach of Strange. Talent for guards is there in the mid rounds.

We probably panicked.

Then we brought in a bunch of talented guys to fight for depth on the interior and Hines and Russey won out... for now. Bottom line, offensive line isn't an "issue" assuming they stay healthy, execute and stay away from wide zone running.
I expect that there are some who believe that we have a very talented set of backup IOL's in Hines, Ferentz, Ray and Desjardins.

Others will gasp whenever one of starting 3 IOL's gets even a minor injury.

Russey is a center and IMO better then Ferentz at C (I don't care if he's never played an NFL game).
I get that posters believe this. If Belichick did, Russey would be on the 53 instead of Ferentz. I think that it is great that Bill let them battle it out, and kept Russey as a developmental OC.

For me, the issue is OG where Ferentz is the top backup.

Onwenu is Chasen Hines 1.0. A three year starter in college who excelled until his weight got out of control, which caused the pro scouts to shy away from him.

This brings to mind the missed opportunity in not drafting Trey Smith, a first round talent from Tennessee with medical red flags, who fell to the sixth round and now starts at RG for the Chiefs.

That could have been us.

Somewhere along the way we went from Seabass and Andruzzi and Neal to the reach of Strange. Talent for guards is there in the mid rounds.

We probably panicked.

What about Mankins? He was an OG drafted by the Patriots in round 1 during that OL golden-era you reference, and singlehandedly dismantles your narrative that the Patriots OL drafting philosophy has changed and that Strange was a panic selection.

What about Solder (1st round), Wynn (1st round), or Light (2nd round)?

It’s not completely unheard of for BB to invest a 1st/2nd round pick in an OL over his tenure.

Last edited:
Surprised that no one has mentioned the return of a PROVEN quality starter at RT to our PS in old friend Marcus Cannon. He's had a tough run with injuries and a year off for Covid due to his Cancer background. Thanksgiving when attrition is at its worst, it might be a very good thing we have Marcus Cannon available.

Surprised that no one has mentioned the return of a PROVEN quality starter at RT to our PS in old friend Marcus Cannon. He's had a tough run with injuries and a year off for Covid due to his Cancer background. Thanksgiving when attrition is at its worst, it might be a very good thing we have Marcus Cannon available.

Cannon's toast.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back