PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Almost The Same OL, Except For Much, Much Better Coaching

NO!!!

Trent Brown is no longer capable of quality LT play on a team that considers itself a PO contender... He's a RIGHT Tackle for the rest of his career, however long that might be...
Brown is still a top starting RT.

Brown wants to play RT. I think that we should EXTEND him, with an incentive of $1M for any game that he plays LT (which should be never).

The essential question is whether they invest money or #14 in a high quality tackle. If that happens, the whole scenario changes. We should know within a couple of weeks after the draft.

From what I'm reading, there are three guys rated high enough to be worthy of going before #14. There are other needs for high quality players to round out a group, such as CB, WR, which have the same situation - 3 players worthy of being picked before #14. So this will probably be about which of those 9 players falls to #14, or similar. We'll be really lucky if it is more than one and the team has to make a positional choice., or if some player rated in the top 6 falls to #14 regardless of position.
You're basically saying their drafting is iffy and they can't get another thuney

Brown is still a top starting RT.

Brown wants to play RT. I think that we should EXTEND him, with an incentive of $1M for any game that he plays LT (which should be never).
He's such a retread

You're basically saying their drafting is iffy and they can't get another thuney
More that the draftniks are saying that there are only three guys good enough for the Pats coaching staff to trust with the starting spot as a rookie.
But maybe they are wrong.

More that the draftniks are saying that there are only three guys good enough for the Pats coaching staff to trust with the starting spot as a rookie.
But maybe they are wrong.
I expect the patriots to draft one of the 3 top OT's.

A second one could indeed be signed as backup, with little expectations for 2023.

I expect the patriots to draft one of the 3 top OT's.

A second one could indeed be signed as backup, with little expectations for 2023.
Harrison and Freeland tested well. Might be a deep group. Trade down and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd.

Pats could've had Scharping at the beginning of last season by merely claiming him on waivers ahead of Cincinnati... Yet another example of this FO being mentally checked-out almost Immediately after the draft.
Great point. All I remember the Patriots doing last offseason before the draft is bringing in Ryan Bates from the Bills for an looksee.

After Karras left we needed a replacement. But we didn’t offer Ryan Bates. Chicago did. And the Bills matched the four year $17 million contract last March.

He’s the kind of guy we used to bring in. Tough, intelligent, versatile.

How about move Strange 69 to LT and draft a guy like Syracuse’s Matthew Bergeron to take over LG? Trent Brown goes to RT.

• If Russey can’t comfortably distance himself ahead of Ferentz than good god would that be depressing. Hopefully they add someone who makes that competition between the two more redundant.

• Speaking of Center, if a crystal ball could tell us right now that they’re drafting one of the top 3 OTs.. would rather then put priority on an Andrews replacement than an additional tackle when looking solely at the draft. A hopeful stud rookie OT, Brown, McDermott, and a moderately resourced free agent/trade add…would be pretty content with those 4 plus the others heading into camp as the trade off.

• When thinking blocking in general, I wonder if any noteworthy changes will be made with maybe a TE3 who’s in the Dwayne Allen mode or a fullback? Hunter Henry took heat at times for not being as productive last year vs. 2021. It seemed like he was tasked more with help as a blocker to compensate for Jakob Johnson being gone and the OL mucking it up in general. Would be nice to spell Henry/Smith on obvious runs and other scenarios, and have their focus as more pass catchers where they could hopefully justify their cap hits.

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back