PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Barkevious Mingo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mingo has been a slight disappointment to me. I had hoped that he would have made at least SOME impact on the regular D by now, but BOTH Van Noy and McClellin have passed him on the depth chart.

On the down side, if all he ever becomes is a core STer, he was definitely worth the 5th round pick, but I'm hoping he can do more than that. By all accounts the kid is a hard working coachable player who is an extraordinarily gifted athlete. So while he is clearly undersized (relatively) and under strength, there SHOULD be some situations where is length, speed, and coachability can be inserted into the regular D.

I have to believe he could be used as an A gap rusher, or an edge rusher you scheme to get blocked by a RB and not an OT. You have to think his speed and length could be utilized in covering TE's underneath. Lots of specific situational potential, even though it is clear by now he will never be a 3 down starter. In the meantime, I'll keep waiting...and hoping ;)

As for Jones, I'm disappointed in his PR failures, because I think he'd have been a real threat. BTW- the last fumble wasn't so much of a muffed punt, than a bad decision to even attempt to catch it. The punt was very high and because it was against the wind, it was short and coming down at nearly a virtical angle. I knew it was going to be a fumble before it hit his hands. That kind of ball is virtually impossible to catch. It would have been hard if he'd been camped under it. Catching it on the run was suicide. Edelman or Amendola wouldn't have caught that that ball either, but I'd like to think neither would have tried to.

So I'm not so down on Jones as some. Right now is confidence is probably shot as a returner, but I still have hope for him as a defender. That often takes some time.

Last edited:
Mingo has been a slight disappointment to me. I had hoped that he would have made at least SOME impact on the regular D by now, but BOTH Van Noy and McClellin have passed him on the depth chart.

On the down side, if all he ever becomes is a core STer, he was definitely worth the 5th round pick, but I'm hoping he can do more than that. By all accounts the kid is a hard working coachable player who is an extraordinarily gifted athlete. So while he is clearly undersized (relatively) and under strength, there SHOULD be some situations where is length, speed, and coachability can be inserted into the regular D.

I have to believe he could be used as an A gap rusher, or an edge rusher you scheme to get blocked by a RB and not an OT. You have to think his speed and length could be utilized in covering TE's underneath. Lots of specific situational potential, even though it is clear by now he will never be a 3 down starter. In the meantime, I'll keep waiting...and hoping ;)

As for Jones, I'm disappointed in his PR failures, because I think he'd have been a real threat. BTW- the last fumble wasn't so much of a muffed punt, than a bad decision to even attempt to catch it. The punt was very high and because it was against the wind, it was short and coming down at nearly a virtical angle. I knew it was going to be a fumble before it hit his hands. That kind of ball is virtually impossible to catch. It would have been hard if he'd been camped under it. Catching it on the run was suicide. Edelman or Amendola wouldn't have caught that that ball either, but I'd like to think neither would have tried to.

So I'm not so down on Jones as some. Right now is confidence is probably shot as a returner, but I still have hope for him as a defender. That often takes some time.

Every time I watch Mingo play, I see Kam Chancellor-in-waiting...

With that speed and strength, if he could learn cover skills, he'd be a devastating in the box safety.

Nope, that's not all. No one knew when he was drafted whether the Patriots chose him for Tackle or Guard. The guy can play both. In fact, some draft reports had him as a better Tackle. The flexibility that gives to the franchise is invaluable.

Thuney has been getting plenty of good press, but his actual value has been far underreported.

I don't remember who reported it from where but the expectation was he was going to be a guard. Was it Scarnecchia who said it? But yes I do believe BB said he played everywhere on the line and had versatility.

Mingo has a lot of potential but still seems to be a project. At least he is a special teams contributor. I wouldn't give up on him yet. He may need an offseason with us to really get it together.

Hopefully the plan was to drive his price down by relegating him to ST in a contract year, otherwise this one mediocre year is all we get for the pick.

I don't think BB thinks a dependable core STer and one of the keys of improved unit this year is a waste of pick. Or that he would call his contribution a “mediocre year“. It is possible that that is exactly why he brought him here. Now if fans have different expectations or demands thats another matter.

I still see a Butler kind of play from him this year when it matters.

Re. next year it all depends on what the coaches set up for him and how much improvement he showed in that direction. He certainly has the measurements to fill the role they might be searching for (as mentioned in this thread already).

Mingo is as good as gone at the end of the year. If he was going to make an impact on the defense, he would have already. Van Noy has been around for less than half the time and is playing significant snaps. The Mingo experiment isn't working, which is fine - a risk worth taking.

I've seen Mingo miss tackles. Other than pre season I haven't seen much out of him. He looks like ST guy. Too slow to be a safety and not strong enough to be a linebacker.

The real gem is Thuney.

Not only because he has been a smart, nasty, excellent LG who (as a rookie!) is the only Patriot to have played every down for the offense this year.

Nope, that's not all. No one knew when he was drafted whether the Patriots chose him for Tackle or Guard. The guy can play both. In fact, some draft reports had him as a better Tackle. The flexibility that gives to the franchise is invaluable.

Thuney has been getting plenty of good press, but his actual value has been far underreported.

And he is our backup center if anything were to happen to Andrews.

One of the least talked about stories of the year. Had he been taken in the first round, no one would be able to shut up about the kid.

Mingo seems like a poor fit for our defense.

Read and react is not his game.

Id like to give him time to see how he does.
If he makes a big sack or strip in the playoffs hes completely worth it

Mingo has a lot of potential but still seems to be a project. At least he is a special teams contributor. I wouldn't give up on him yet. He may need an offseason with us to really get it together.

That's how I'm looking at it. Good ST player. Emergency backup. Because he still has the Browns stench on him he might need an offseason of delousing. Weight, technique, etc.

Unless he's as dumb as a box of rocks he has way too much freakish athletic ability to dump.

I think he sticks around. If he didn't have potential, and skills that could be honed, he'd be gone right quickly.

Mingo is as good as gone at the end of the year. If he was going to make an impact on the defense, he would have already. Van Noy has been around for less than half the time and is playing significant snaps. The Mingo experiment isn't working, which is fine - a risk worth taking.
Disagree. He could stick around on ST contribution alone, and he has additional potential for upside. I figure he'll be around at least until training camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye