PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Barkevious Mingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Secret weapon now, productive player later?

I'm glad the guy is working on STs now, but I doubt that's all he'll do for the Pats. Obviously a possibility as a spot rusher, I think he's a long term project by BB, because you know BB researches and thinks long term.

Last January, less than a year ago, Mingo weighed 227, according to this article. He put on 20 lbs with a female body builder as trainer, but they traded him to us and he still doesn't seem to play strong.

My thought is, with our new training staff [injuries seem down!] could it be that he needs a very individual training regimen to increase muscle in the areas he needs to for football? Massive calorie smoothies and a body builder are great, but what did she know about football athleticism?

I'm guessing we see a different Mingo next year. Some guys just have a light frame and probably have to work on putting muscle in the right areas.

Wish I had that problem *sigh*

Thoughts?

Cleveland Browns' beefed-up Barkevious Mingo is hungry for success, about 6,000-calories-a-day hungry

Last edited:
Hopefully the plan was to drive his price down by relegating him to ST in a contract year, otherwise this one mediocre year is all we get for the pick.

Hopefully the plan was to drive his price down by relegating him to ST in a contract year, otherwise this one mediocre year is all we get for the pick.

If he was a lights out solution you don't think they would play him? He was a #6 overall we got for a fifth rounder. His price was already down.

, ......I think he's a long term project by BB, because you know BB researches and thinks long term.......

......Thoughts?

My thoughts are that he is a FA after this season and while we all hope BB thinks long-term, the names Jonathan Casillas, Akiem Hicks, Tim Wright, Akeem Ayers, etc. keep coming to mind. Those were guys the "long-term thinking' BB brought in for a few months also.

Look, I hope he grows into a productive role, does well and wins the next 8 DPOY's, but him being "long-term" here is probably a 50-50 possibility.

My thoughts are that he is a FA after this season and while we all hope BB thinks long-term, the names Jonathan Casillas, Akiem Hicks, Tim Wright, Akeem Ayers, etc. keep coming to mind. Those were guys the "long-term thinking' BB brought in for a few months also.

Not to mention that each of those guys made IMHO a more tangible contribution to the team than Mingo has so far. Mingo is an odd one... like an unusual piece of furniture that looks intriguing... but it's not super comfortable... and then you get it into your house and there's no good place for it...

...and it winds up selling for $25 at your next garage sale. o_O

If he was a lights out solution you don't think they would play him? He was a #6 overall we got for a fifth rounder. His price was already down.

We've gotten good defensive snaps for less than a 5th, including this year at the same position in Van Noy. I'm not up in arms about the loss of a 5th even if Mingo goes total bust, but I think it has to be considered an overpay if we don't get one of: multiple seasons, or quality defensive contribution out of him.

My thought succinctly. If they like his attitude, know his speed and the training staff thinks he can put on the type of muscle he'd need to offset deficiencies in strength, why wouldn't they take a shot with a guy for whom the market price is probably very low? Remember we pick at the bottom every year.

It seems when he first got here he flashed a bit in spot play, but since hasn't been noticeable. I'm hoping he gets in a groove here.

Look, I hope he grows into a productive role, does well and wins the next 8 DPOY's, but him being "long-term" here is probably a 50-50 possibility.

Well, we draft last every year, so BB needs to take chances. 50/50 chance cost a 5th rounder is a lot better than Cleveland's "can't miss" #6 overall.

Pats are shopping in the bargain bin and defeating teams like Cleveland who have top ten picks every year. They do it by finding a way to utilize or change players other teams don't.

It seems when he first got here he flashed a bit in spot play, but since hasn't been noticeable. I'm hoping he gets in a groove here.

Well, if he's really a 227 pound linebacker with some hastily added muscle, that could be the reason IMO.

Neglected to add this article link.

Cleveland Browns' beefed-up Barkevious Mingo is hungry for success, about 6,000-calories-a-day hungry

He was 227 pounds last January. Extra weight is just that, if it's not contribution to productive strength

Well, we draft last every year, so BB needs to take chances. 50/50 chance cost a 5th rounder is a lot better than Cleveland's "can't miss" #6 overall.

Pats are shopping in the bargain bin and defeating teams like Cleveland who have top ten picks every year. They do it by finding a way to utilize or change players other teams don't.

Agreed.

But the contention that Mingo is a long-term guy here is no more than a 50-50 chance. I wouldn't buy the jersey yet.

Not always, sometimes we don't pick at all.

**** you Goodell and the NFL* !!!!

Amazing when you look at this year's draft class.

Thuney, Valentine, Mitchell, Brissett, Karrass and Roberts make this one of the best draft classes in the NFL even without a first rounder!

And our top choice has been a relative bust so far!!!!!

Thuney, Valentine, Mitchell, Brissett, Karrass and Roberts make this one of the best draft classes in the NFL even without a first rounder!

Good draft, but let's see in a few years. He probably gambles less in the draft when he has a solid roster. Mitchell was a real keeper, valentine a gamble, who's lethargic play was probably due to injury.

I just don't think BB always drafts or acquires based on the same things. If what he spent on McClellin, Van Noys and Mingo nets a starter and a project [assuming McC busts.] that's still excellent value.

But BB hasn't given up on Cyrus yet!

He's been quite good on special teams. I have no problems with his role, even though I think some of us were hoping for him to turn into Collins, now that he has better coaching. For a late 5th rounder, that's just fine. And who knows? Maybe he makes a great play in the playoffs with his closing speed, and we're all glad he's here.

Good draft, but let's see in a few years. He probably gambles less in the draft when he has a solid roster. Mitchell was a real keeper, valentine a gamble, who's lethargic play was probably due to injury.

I just don't think BB always drafts or acquires based on the same things. If what he spent on McClellin, Van Noys and Mingo nets a starter and a project [assuming McC busts.] that's still excellent value.

The real gem is Thuney.

Not only because he has been a smart, nasty, excellent LG who (as a rookie!) is the only Patriot to have played every down for the offense this year.

Nope, that's not all. No one knew when he was drafted whether the Patriots chose him for Tackle or Guard. The guy can play both. In fact, some draft reports had him as a better Tackle. The flexibility that gives to the franchise is invaluable.

Thuney has been getting plenty of good press, but his actual value has been far underreported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back