PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Banks: Jets completely obsessed with Pats' draft plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have it on good authority that the Jets trade the #6 pick with themselves. Figuring out the details of their own trade will take the full 10 minutes allotted and they will end up selecting nobody.

u know what would REALLY be funny? if the Jets GIVE baltimore a 3rd rounder, to move up to 6, to draft Ryan, so he doesnt fall to NE

u know what would be even funnier? the above scenario, but baltimore doesnt take ryan

You read my mind with the first part. I didn't even consider the second....that would be classic.

I guess if the Jets truly feel this way, they should draft Ryan and then try to get the supposed "bounty" afterwards. Of course, it would almost have to be with Baltimore for rookie cap purposes.

In any case, I don't see any "bounty" coming even if Ryan falls to the Pats. Sure, they'll get good value, but we're not talking the Herschel Walker/Michael Vick/Eli Manning trades here.

I was thinking the same thing.

I agree. Come'on this is pap journalism. Mangini will know more than anyone thats its an 75% likelihood we'll look to trade down whoever's there. If its Ryan, Ellis, DMC etc someone will likely want to trade up - and if it so happens theres no trade out because of Ryan being taken above us then they'll have a player in mind anyway (Albert, Mayo etc)

To be honest if NE do select someone at 7 come saturday i'll be amazed - they've probably already spoken with Carolina and NO

Another scenario(which I'm contemplating in my mock) is the Jets trading up to #3 for McFadden/Long. That puts Atlanta one spot ahead of us to take Ryan & give them a fourth 2nd round pick. :eek:

Another scenario(which I'm contemplating in my mock) is the Jets trading up to #3 for McFadden/Long. That puts Atlanta one spot ahead of us to take Ryan & give them a fourth 2nd round pick. :eek:

Damn that's interesting. But in essence, it would be the Jets giving away a 2nd rounder for nothing. One of McFadden, Long, or Ryan is going to fall to them anyway....unless they have a clear preference for one worth using their second rounder on.

Really, the part where this whole obsession angle loses me, is that if the Jets think that there is a bounty to be had for Ryan, why don't they trade their pick for him if/when he becomes available. If this author is to be believed, they're panicking over something they have 100% control over. They can literally guarantee Ryan doesn't slip to the Patriots at #7.

Last edited:
Damn that's interesting. But in essence, it would be the Jets giving away a 2nd rounder for nothing. One of McFadden, Long, or Ryan is going to fall to them anyway....unless they have a clear preference for one worth using their second rounder on.

True but in keeping with the theme of this thread it would make trading down more difficult for the Pats.

There is talk now that no matter what, the Falcons will pass on Matt Ryan. They would most likely take Sedrick Ellis at #3. I don't really believe this, I think Dimitroff is trying to get some people interested in the pick in hopes of trading it, but in the end the Falcons will more then likely be calling the name of Matt Ryan.

Last edited:
May be stupid and obsessive manGINA and moron tannenBUM will trade Jets 1st (6) and 2nd round picks to to Ravens 1st (8th) to just prevent PATS trading chances.

There is talk now that no matter what, the Falcons will pass on Matt Ryan. They would most likely take Sedrick Ellis at #3. I don't really believe this, I think Dimitroff is trying to get some people interested in the pick in hopes of trading it, but in the end the Falcons will more then likely be calling the name of Matt Ryan.

I think you're right, assuming Dorsey goes at #2. I think Atlanta would prefer to trade down for Ellis, Clady, or Albert, but if they make the pick, I think they'll take Ryan and be very content with it.

What Atlanta should consider is maybe offer a third round pick to St. Louis to move up and take Dorsey. With three 2s, why not?

Really, the part where this whole obsession angle loses me, is that if the Jets think that there is a bounty to be had for Ryan, why don't they trade their pick for him if/when he becomes available. If this author is to be believed, they're panicking over something they have 100% control over. They can literally guarantee Ryan doesn't slip to the Patriots at #7.

It is because the teams will prefer to trade with PATS instead of JETS because they have 6th and we have 7th. It will cost them little less in picks they have to give up and money they have to pay to the draft pick.

Also I don't think the Jets are interested in Matt Ryan so there is a chance they could lose out on both Long, McFadden & even Gholston with KC trading Allen.

What Atlanta should consider is maybe offer a third round pick to St. Louis to move up and take Dorsey. With three 2s, why not?[/QUOTE]

I don't think the Rams would consider that. Of course the Falcons would love to do that, but I think the Rams are sold on Dorsey at #2. However, if they're going to pass on him and take Chris Long then why not. I think the Rams will take Dorsey at 2, but I just have a weird feeling they'll be calling the name of Chris Long on Draft Day.

It is because the teams will prefer to trade with PATS instead of JETS because they have 6th and we have 7th. It will cost them little less in picks they have to give up and money they have to pay to the draft pick.

Again, they can control that by settling for a little less in compensation....let's say #7 compensation instead of #6. And the financial outlay between 6 and 7 isn't going to scare teams away.

Really, I just don't get this. For all the dislike I have for the Hempsteaders, I don't believe their front office is stupid.

Also I don't think the Jets are interested in Matt Ryan so there is a chance they could lose out on both Long, McFadden & even Gholston with KC trading Allen.

Well Jeebus...so they want to select a player AND prevent Ryan from sliding to #7? Doesn't work that way....that's having your whiskey and drinking it too. If they're worried that the Patriots are going to get a bounty of picks for Ryan, then they should hope he's on the board when they pick....after all, wouldn't the Jets like a bounty of picks too? If they think that there's another player whom is more valuable than a bounty of picks, then take the player.

In the end, I think the Jets like Ryan and could draft him for themselves. I don't think a trade-up for him is beyond reason.

It would be funny if the Jets either drafted or traded down in regards to Ryan and then the Pats traded down with either McFadden or Ellis as the player another team wanted and got more value.

Any team that puts too much stock in what another is doing is going to start chasing it's own tail.

Well Jeebus...so they want to select a player AND prevent Ryan from sliding to #7? Doesn't work that way....that's having your whiskey and drinking it too. If they're worried that the Patriots are going to get a bounty of picks for Ryan, then they should hope he's on the board when they pick....after all, wouldn't the Jets like a bounty of picks too? If they think that there's another player whom is more valuable than a bounty of picks, then take the player.

In the end, I think the Jets like Ryan and could draft him for themselves. I don't think a trade-up for him is beyond reason.

I'm with you in that I don't beleive the Jets are "obsessed" with what the Pats are doing but at the same time they're in a slightly more advantageous position to move up.

If the rumors are true that Atlanta is hesitant to take Ryan @ #3 than I don't think it makes sense for the Jets to trade up for him. But if their target is DL or McFadden then it does make sense IMO.

Even at #6 maybe Atlanta doesn't take Matt Ryan. With currently 3 picks in the 2nd round they could easily move up into the late 1st to take Flacco/Brohm.

Last edited:
The No. 6 Jets are calibrating every potential move they make with the No. 7 Patriots in mind. These two really don't like each other, and it's not even close to being hype in this case. Under no scenario does New York want to see Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan make it to New England's slot, because Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum and head coach Eric Mangini knows the Patriots will promptly put their draft slot up for auction and reap a bounty of picks from some quarterback-needy team.

The Jets have even gone so far as to talk with the No. 8 Ravens about what it would cost them to trade up to sixth for Ryan. Anything to keep the Patriots from hitting the jackpot. Hearing that, it kind of leads one to believe the Jets have decided to pass on Ryan, even though they reportedly love him. Then again, they could anticipate having multiple options that they like -- Chris Long or Darren McFadden among them -- and wanted to see how much the Ravens would give up to get their franchise quarterback. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/04/23/snaps/1.html

What is funny about the scenario is that might be OK by us. Think about we are at 7 and we obviously are not taking a QB. So if the Jets drop back to 8 and Balt selects Ryan who we don't want and the Jets didn't want all they really do is get out of our way. Yes they pick up an extra pick but we get a better choice of player as they don't get to take our guy.

Dream scenario with this thought in mind.
1 J. Long (duh)
2 Dorsey
3 Ellis
4 McFadden
5 Gohlston or Long
6 Jets trade to Balt who take Ryan
7 we get Gohlston or long whichever made it. Not to crazy especially if you figure the Jets get out of our way.

What is funny about the scenario is that might be OK by us. Think about we are at 7 and we obviously are not taking a QB. So if the Jets drop back to 8 and Balt selects Ryan who we don't want and the Jets didn't want all they really do is get out of our way. Yes they pick up an extra pick but we get a better choice of player as they don't get to take our guy.

Dream scenario with this thought in mind.
1 J. Long (duh)
2 Dorsey
3 Ellis
4 McFadden
5 Gohlston or Long
6 Jets trade to Balt who take Ryan
7 we get Gohlston or long whichever made it. Not to crazy especially if you figure the Jets get out of our way.

Or, just to make it more fun, the Patriots could trade down with the Bengals and grab a pick from them, since they are reportedly very interested in Ellis.

Or, just to make it more fun, the Patriots could trade down with the Bengals and grab a pick from them, since they are reportedly very interested in Ellis.

I know they're called the Bungles for a reason, but I would hope even they aren't stupid enough to trade up to grab a player who's already gone. :D

When have the Jets ever not been obsessed with everything we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye