PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Available free agents not drafted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course not, but it's purely co-incidental. I don't want the Colts to get a stud WR or CB either. But the fact is we have neither enough draft picks nor roster space to keep our rivals from getting good football players. If the best value for the Patriots at 17 was a defensive end, and Belichick drafted Solder to keep him away from the Colts, he's failed at his job, improving the New England Patriots. If any GM allows other teams to dictate his draft picks*, he should be relieved of his duties, and possibly shot.

* In the sense we're talking about here. If I'm GM of the Texans and have to play Indy twice a year, then I'd be sure to have a plan to do so.

To draft someone just to keep them away from a rival is foolish, however I think the benefit that rival doesnt get from said player should be factored in when determining "value".

I agree. We should cut Welker and/or Edelman so that Maehl can play. Then maybe Welker and/or Edelman can help the Colts or Jets.

I have never, never, never understood this thinking. I'd hate to cut Player X and have the Jets or Colts get him! (I realize not apples-to-apples in this particular case). I, for one, will gladly stock the Jets and Colts with 53 players who aren't good enough to make the Patriots.

Back to the original question, my highest rated guys who went undrafted:

OT Bo Thran Oregon (Top 100)
OT Erik Mensik Oklahoma (4th rounder)
C Kris O'Dowd USC
C Tim Barnes Missouri
G Butch Lewis USC
LB Thomas Keiser Stanford
OT Rob McGill Louisiana Tech
OT Willie Smith East Carolina
S Mana Silva Hawai'i
WR Kerry Taylor Arizona St (5th rounders)

Of course, this assumes they all check out medically. There is definitely some offensive line talent to be had when things start up again.

The Maehl thing got out of hand. I said he was dependable and ran good routes. I thought he was an upgrade over Tate and that was strictly IMO.

I play scenario. It's third and thirteen. Out TE is in protection max. Welker is doubled and the Defense has their best CB man up on Branch (done deal at this point in his career unfortunately). Are you confident that Tate is your only option? Or would you feel better with someone who can run a precise route and had good to excellent first ten yard speed and great hands?
Your call?

I love your choices of Silva and Keiser. Taylor might be another option other than with Maehl.
DW Toys

The Maehl thing got out of hand. I said he was dependable and ran good routes. I thought he was an upgrade over Tate and that was strictly IMO.

I play scenario. It's third and thirteen. Out TE is in protection max. Welker is doubled and the Defense has their best CB man up on Branch (done deal at this point in his career unfortunately). Are you confident that Tate is your only option? Or would you feel better with someone who can run a precise route and had good to excellent first ten yard speed and great hands?
Your call?

I love your choices of Silva and Keiser. Taylor might be another option other than with Maehl.
DW Toys

Don't get me wrong, I have little confidence in Tate's hands, but yes, he should beat a safety singled up on him. That being said, in your scenario, Hernandez, Edelman and a RB would probably be on the field before Tate. Max protect on 3rd and 13 is a bad call, but I'd expect Crumpler and Gronkowski would be in tight and Branch and Welker to be split out. That leaves one more spot for either Edelman, Hernandez, or Faulk/Vereen to split out wide, since I can't imagine we'd block with 8. And if we're playing Max protect, and the defense is only playing 7 men in the box per your scenario, one of the TEs should be able to slip out into the pattern also.

I don't think Tate has proven anything, and I'm all for upgrading if possible. My point is that Maehl would be extremely duplicative with Welker and Edelman on the field...too much traffic in the short-medium zones.

Last edited:
I think that is a fair statement.

I suspect that Cousin Da Bruinz will ask you to look up information and make a report to him to show where it says he is not a stud....... But that is just me.

I guess roughly 2.5 looks (not catches) a game is starting WR timber.

DW Toys

No. It's not a fair statement because neither of us said he was a "stud WR". But you seem too inept to understand that. Again, instead of just going with what was said, you basically LIE and make BS claims.

Hell, you can't even do math right. 46/16 is 2.875, not 2.5.. And Targets are more than just "looks". This is something you also fail to understand. Targets = number of times thrown to.

I also find it amazing how you fail to acknowledge that Maehl doesn't seem to play special teams.. Something that Tate does.

You've made all sorts of claims about Maehl and Tate and several of them have been down-right wrong. Yet you gloss over that as if it didn't happen.

I'm still waiting for Brother Maine and Brother Bruinz to explain why they think Brandon Tate is an established stud Wide Out. :)

And I'm waiting for you to show me where either of us said anything remotely close to that???

I'm still waiting for Brother Maine and Brother Bruinz to explain why they think Brandon Tate is an established stud Wide Out. :)

OTG - C'mon! You're better than this.

DW Toys says that Tate "has done nothing" and should be replaced immediately, if not sooner.

I have merely disputed this by showing that Tate, IN HIS FIRST YEAR ACTUALLY PLAYING WR, showed as well as or better than several other players did in their first years - players WHO WENT ON TO ESTABLISH THEMSELVES AS STUD WIDE RECEIVERS.

BTW - that list would include Chad Ochocinco, Reggie Wayne, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Steve Smith (CAR), Roddy White, V-Jax, Brandon Marshall, Sidney Rice and many more guys who became very good regular starters.

I HAVE NOT SAID OR EVER COME CLOSE TO IMPLYING THAT BRANDON TATE IS AN ESTABLISHED STUD WIDEOUT. HOW MANY GODDAMN TIMES DO I NEED TO ******* REPEAT MYSELF? READ MY GODDAMN POSTS AND QUIT BEING SUCH AN *******!

Just for the record, minus the 65-yard broken play TD, Tate's average was 16 YPC. For comparison sake, that was higher than Steve Smith or Ochocinco the past few seasons. In fact, those two receivers combined have only posted a higher mark than that 3 times in 20 combined seasons. I bring those two guys up since you've advocated for them in the past.

When on a polemic roll don't confuse with facts. After all... "... were we done when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? No! ..." ;)

I think that is a fair statement.

I suspect that Cousin Da Bruinz will ask you to look up information and make a report to him to show where it says he is not a stud....... But that is just me.

I guess roughly 2.5 looks (not catches) a game is starting WR timber.

DW Toys

If some of these posters were the Pats GM, the Pats would never win a game. I'd rather trust someone with a proven record.

I know we have enough RBs but I would love to see what Noel Devine can do on this team. He shouldve been drafted for sure, I know hes a little small, but hes athletic and fast. I think he would do great in this offense.

I know we have enough RBs but I would love to see what Noel Devine can do on this team. He shouldve been drafted for sure, I know hes a little small, but hes athletic and fast. I think he would do great in this offense.

I think Devine was projected as a 4th rounder until Senior Bowl week. Elusiveness once in the open was apparently about the only thing he had going for him and his effort in even that regard was widely noted as being inconsistent. He struggled getting through traffic at the LoS, showed very little skill as a receiver and elected to sit out passpro drills even though he sucked at it and could have used the coaching and practice.

At 5'7"/160, a guy has got to go 120% all the time and show he's working his butt off to improve every aspect of his game - e.g., Danny Woodhead.

And I'm waiting for you to show me where either of us said anything remotely close to that???

OTG - C'mon! You're better than this.

DW Toys says that Tate "has done nothing" and should be replaced immediately, if not sooner.

I have merely disputed this by showing that Tate, IN HIS FIRST YEAR ACTUALLY PLAYING WR, showed as well as or better than several other players did in their first years - players WHO WENT ON TO ESTABLISH THEMSELVES AS STUD WIDE RECEIVERS.

BTW - that list would include Chad Ochocinco, Reggie Wayne, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Steve Smith (CAR), Roddy White, V-Jax, Brandon Marshall, Sidney Rice and many more guys who became very good regular starters.

I HAVE NOT SAID OR EVER COME CLOSE TO IMPLYING THAT BRANDON TATE IS AN ESTABLISHED STUD WIDEOUT. HOW MANY GODDAMN TIMES DO I NEED TO ******* REPEAT MYSELF? READ MY GODDAMN POSTS AND QUIT BEING SUCH AN *******!

jester.gif
jester.gif
jester.gif
jester.gif
jester.gif
jester.gif

Boys, it could NOT possibly have been more obvious:

I was MOCKING DW TOYS!!

Take a ****ing MIDOL, buddy!!
jester.gif
jester.gif
jester.gif

jester.gif
jester.gif
jester.gif
jester.gif
jester.gif
jester.gif

I was MOCKING DW TOYS!!

jester.gif
jester.gif
jester.gif

Ouch, Mock thou as thou doth will, Cousin. Knock yourself out.

DW Toys

Don't get me wrong, I have little confidence in Tate's hands, but yes, he should beat a safety singled up on him. That being said, in your scenario, Hernandez, Edelman and a RB would probably be on the field before Tate. Max protect on 3rd and 13 is a bad call, but I'd expect Crumpler and Gronkowski would be in tight and Branch and Welker to be split out. That leaves one more spot for either Edelman, Hernandez, or Faulk/Vereen to split out wide, since I can't imagine we'd block with 8. And if we're playing Max protect, and the defense is only playing 7 men in the box per your scenario, one of the TEs should be able to slip out into the pattern also.

I don't think Tate has proven anything, and I'm all for upgrading if possible. My point is that Maehl would be extremely duplicative with Welker and Edelman on the field...too much traffic in the short-medium zones.

Good point. I was simplifying my scenario. Excellent refinement by your recap. I was using Cousin Maehl as an example of an upgrade. He is not my dream WR though. Just have more confidence in him versus Tate.
DW Toys
DW Toys

jester.gif
jester.gif
jester.gif
jester.gif
jester.gif
jester.gif

I was MOCKING DW TOYS!!

jester.gif
jester.gif
jester.gif

DW Toys

I'm sorry, G. I swear to you that I mean no malice, but it's just HILARIOUS to me, how DRAMATICALLY you misconstrue their positions on this, and how persistent you are in doing so, despite repeated, spelled out attempts to set you straight!!
jester.gif

No. It's not a fair statement because neither of us said he was a "stud WR". But you seem too inept to understand that. Again, instead of just going with what was said, you basically LIE and make BS claims.

Hell, you can't even do math right. 46/16 is 2.875, not 2.5.. And Targets are more than just "looks". This is something you also fail to understand. Targets = number of times thrown to.

I also find it amazing how you fail to acknowledge that Maehl doesn't seem to play special teams.. Something that Tate does.

You've made all sorts of claims about Maehl and Tate and several of them have been down-right wrong. Yet you gloss over that as if it didn't happen.

Professor Da Bruinz roughly-Adverb

Imprecise but close to in quantity or amount; approximately.

Hey if your in love with Tate I respect that. I hope he has a great season. I doubt it but I hope I am wrong. I said he was a mediocre WR. Please riddle me what you do not understand about that inference?

I said there might be better than Maehl. I said in my humble opinion and as example, I would have a better comfort zone throwing to Maehl on a must need play as in third down. You beg to differ. O.K. you win. I said if he were available as an UDFA I think he is worth a shot and dependable.

Maehl had 77 receptions and 12 TDs his best year in college.

Tate's best year receiving was 25 and 5 TDs. Let's be generous and add Tate's 6 ST TD's for his whole N.C. career to boost his best year. That gives us 11 TDs.

Career TDs- Maehl 24 VS Tate 16
Career Receptions-Maehl 178 VS Tate 46

I am very sorry that I basically lie and make BS claims.

You have punished me yet again Cousin DB. I bow to your superiority over me and the rest on this forum.
DW Toys

Last edited:
It's pretty ironic that Snake Eyes, of all dubious characters, would "like" Brother Maine's explosion, there, considering that he is THE most notorious Inventor of Other's Opinions AROUND here!!
jester.gif

Although you ARE giving him a run for'is money, Brother Toys, old dog!!
jester.gif

GOD, I love this Thread!! :D

DW Toys

Let the battle begin....:rocker:

"Cousin" vs. "Brother" --- the showdown on the draft forum

('Come heavy or don't come at all....')

It's pretty ironic that Snake Eyes, of all dubious characters, would "like" Brother Maine's explosion, there, considering that he is THE most notorious Inventor of Other's Opinions AROUND here!!
jester.gif

jester.gif

Thank you I think.

One must realize this forum is for pleasure and amusement. The irony is the contest to see who can yell the loudest on a silly internet post to gain the most attention.

I have been wrong many times but I have been absolutely correct as well.

My whole silly point was that I thought Tate was replaceable and perhaps a kid like Maehl could be better served as that replacement. Read my posts... it was not in stone.

I am sure the defense of Tate was heartfelt by those who enjoy his performances.
DW Toys

jester.gif

jester.gif

You guys are both making my boring day just a little bit brighter ;)

Let the battle begin....:rocker:

"Cousin" vs. "Brother" --- the showdown on the draft forum

('Come heavy or don't come at all....')

You're a little slow on the uptake, today, Fly, old dog. ;)

Read above, and try again. :snob:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes