PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Atlanta Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

O8 10:12 1:22 NE 20 3 7 Punt

Score: 6; 13

m: 1st and 10
r: Evans, Stretch play right, 5 yds.
o: I formation, Mills FB, Evans TB, Kight wide right, E.Davis wide left, D.Thomas left, no change to the O-line from the last series.
d: 4-3, WLB online outside the TE slot, soft coverage.
b: Mills screened the WLB inside to give Evans a clear lane outside; O’Callaghan was stood up by the MLB getting under his pads, but slowed him enough to keep him out of the play; Stevenson got outside the RDE and sealed him inside; Mruczkowski did a chip and hand-off to Yates on the RDT, then went upfield and chased the SLB; Yates got steerage on the RDT from Mruczkowski’s hand-off and ran him into Stevenson’s block for a double layer DT sandwich; Britt got inside the LDT and pancaked him when he caught him overbalanced; D.Thomas hand checked the LDE and chased him upfield trying to get ahead of the play; Kight had a beautiful block on the SS, sealing him inside and giving Evans a one-on-one outside with the RCB.
a: Good blocking created a one-on-one situation outside with the RCB who took the not so nimble Evans out at the ankles.

m: 2nd and 5
r: Evans, run up the middle, 2 yds.
o: Henry* wide right, Rasby TE left, D.Thomas Flanker left, E.Davis wide left-motion inside to the flanker’s immediate left.
d: 4-3, SLB over flanker, SS moved down outside flanker 1 yd deep.
b: O’Callaghan turned the RDE out; Mruczkowski drove the RDT to the right into O’Callaghan’s block; Yates and Britt doubled the LDT sealing him to the left; Rasby road the LDE’s bull rush into the backfield where Stevenson pulled and doubled on him; D.Thomas engaged the SLB and went with him laterally down the line driving him past the hole; E.Davis pancaked the SS.
a: Evans tripped over the LDT as Britt was taking him to the ground; Good blocking, Evans had a big hole and a chance to drive through the MLB/WLB to pick up the 1st down.
n: *WR #1 is not listed on the Patriots.com roster, but I believe that is Keron Henry.

m: 3rd and 3
r: Pass to D.Thomas in the flat, batted down, incomplete.
o: Henry wide right, E.Davis wide left, Rasby TE left, D.Thomas TE right-motion to Flanker right (Henry moved on the line to cover the RT)-motion to flanker left.
d: 4-3, SLB online outside Rasby, CBs closer in at 5 yds off the line, FS moves up over slot showing blitz.
b: Mruczkowski and Stevenson doubled the RDT; O’Callaghan stood up the RDE; Britt cut the LDE enough to get his hands down; Evans chipped on the LDE coming over Britt; The LDT got on Yates’ outside shoulder and had to be taken left, directly into the throwing lane; The FS came unblocked on the backside.
c: CBs in man, LBs all sat in a shallow zone with the SLB running behind D.Thomas.
a: Same basic flat play to a TE they have called all game, D.Thomas was open for the 1st down; Yates guessed wrong, jumping inside on the snap when the DT went outside, forcing Billy to drive him left into the throwing lane to protect Cassel; Good defensive play by the LDT, Yates probably should have cut him when he recognized he had lost the outside, this would have, at minimum, forced his hands down, clearing the throwing lane; Cassel took a 3 step drop.

m: 4th and 3
r: Miller, Punt, 49 yd punt, 9 yd return-penalty, block in the back, loss of 10 yds.
n: Spann was the right gunner this time, they had a double team on the line and a second PR deep who came over and tripled him to keep him off the returner; Poteat was the left gunner and overran the catch; Miller put the ball on the sideline again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Box, from what little I remember of the game and from your description, the depth at RB doesn't include Evans.

OTOH, maybe Thomas can become a better blocker than the draft reports would have us believe. I assume Graham is holding seminars after practice.

PatsFan37 said:
Box, from what little I remember of the game and from your description, the depth at RB doesn't include Evans.

OTOH, maybe Thomas can become a better blocker than the draft reports would have us believe. I assume Graham is holding seminars after practice.
Evans wasn't a bad RB last season, 60 yds against Miami behind a make-shift line is decent running. Recall that Cassel had not yet established any kind of passing game at this point and that Atlanta was keying on the run and short pass. If we wind up needing Heath as a RB this season, we know we'll get a decent RB, allow him to get his timing down with the O-line and QB and he has the power running to make the Tampa-2 defenses wince. If he makes the roster, it will probably be because Pass is on PUP and BB is relegating Cobb to the Practice Squad, were it not for his poor blocking/blitz pick-up, I'd consider him an excellent 3rd down back.

I've posted elsewhere that I thought Thomas' blocking to date is no worse then Watsons, poor, but trying hard.

Last edited:

D8 08:50 4:09 ATL 20 10 52 Field Goal

m:1st and 10
r: Pass, incomplete.
o: WR wide to each side, FB offset left, Flanker left-motion to right side behind RT.
d: 3-4, press coverage;
DL Freeman, Sullivan, S.Thomas;
LB Woods, Beisel, Roach, Mincy;
CB C.Scott, Warfield;
S G.Scott, Andrews.
b: Student body left, naked bootleg right; S.Thomas penetrated and set a strong edge were he was doubled by the LG/RB; Mincey was doubled outside by the LT/FB; Sullivan was doubled by the C/RG; Freeman was stood-up by the RT and chipped by the Flanker.
c: Warfield and C.Scott manned up on the WRs, Woods initially stuck with the Flanker, but released coverage to pressure the QB, G.Scott came up and shadowed the Flanker.
a: I don’t think there was a run option out of this, but if there was S.Thomas blew it up quickly; I seem to remember Willie staying home on the backside of plays like this, if so Dean Pees will have a great visual to show Woods what he is doing wrong; The DBs did a great job, in particular G.Scott being right there to pick up coverage on the Flanker when Woods dropped it.

m: 2nd and 10
r: Run, right side, 9 yds.
o: I formation, 2 wide right, TE left-motion, slot right to slot left.
d: 3-4, CBs soft, Woods 2 yds off the line-moves down on the motion.
b: Mincey set the edge on the TE; S.Thomas held the line on the LT; Roach met the LG and held the line; Sullivan held the line on the C, but allowed him to get run side; Beisel was reading the run to the left, and was trapped behind Sullivan when the FB cut back to the right and sealed him left; Freeman penetrated and was pushed deep by the RG/RT double-team; Woods dropped into coverage, then recovered and tried to come up only to be blocked outside by the RG releasing off Freeman.
a: The whole right side (Woods, Freeman, and Beisel) screwed the pooch, either overplaying or treating this as a pass play - Sullivan didn’t help any being handled one-on-one by the C; G.Scott made as pretty an open field tackle as you could wish, knifing in and wrapping up instead of going for a big hit.

m: 3rd and 1
r: Run, stretch play left, 2 yds.
o: I Formation, 3 wide, 2 right-slot right in motion to Flanker left.
d: 3-4, press coverage wide.
b: Warfield hand fought the WR; Mincey was driven wide by the Flanker; S.Thomas drove the LG into the backfield and fought him laterally left; Beisel was driven out of the hole by the LT; Roach was sealed inside by the C; Sullivan looked like he was cut blocking? He created a log jam that tied up the RG/RT, though the RT did chip Roach as he went by; Andrews met the FB in the hole, and helped create a log jam for the RB.
a: S.Thomas made this play solo, he overpowered the LG, fighting through him down the line laterally, slowing the FB and the RB, and was able to wrap up the RB as he tried to cut behind the LG’s block; Andrews gets a lot of credit for sticking his nose into the pile; I have no idea if Sullivan played this properly, he did occupy two backside blockers, preventing them from getting upfield.

r: Run, right side, no gain.
o: WR each side, Flanker each side.
d: 3-4, press coverage; L.Smith in for Freeman at RDE.
b: Mincey avoided the Flanker’s cut block; S.Thomas put the LT on the ground; Sullivan was driven off the line and chop blocked by the LG; Beisel was trapped behind Sullivan’s quick retreat; Roach got under the RG’s pads on the inside and knocked him down; S.Smith held the line against the RT; Woods was a little slow setting the edge, but he did get there; C.Scott hand fought the RWR.
a: L.Smith holding up against the RT, Roach blowing up the RG, and Woods setting the edge, forced the RB to try the ‘C’ gap where he tripped over the RT’s feet and was cleaned up by Woods.

r: Pass, TE, square-out right, 9 yds.
o: I Formation, WR to each side, TE right.
d: 3-4, press coverage-both CBs backed off before the snap.
b: S.Thomas stood-up by the LT; Sullivan doubled and stood-up by the C/RG; L.Smith stood-up by the RT; Woods stood-up by the RB.
c: LBs in zone, Beisel went with the FB coming through underneath, then released him to Mincey in the left shallow zone; CBs in man; G.Scott came up on the TE.
a: Roach bit hard on the play action and was sucked in deep, he was late getting into his zone, which is where the TE went-he did get a decent lick in as G.Scott held the TE up; G.Scott came up and made the first hit and appeared to be right on top of the TE, I can’t tell if he was up in man or had been playing underneath the RWR and reacted quickly.

m: 3rd and 1
r: Pass-QB scramble, 29 yds.
o: WR left-motion to slot left, Slot WR right; TE left, some kind of an offset I formation with the RB behind the QB and the FB 1 yd up and to then left.
d: 3-4, CBs soft, Roach showing blitz at LILB.
b: Mincey checked the TE; S.Thomas was cut by the RB in the backfield; Roach was stood-up by the LT; Sullivan doubled by the LG/C; L.Smith was taken wide by the RT; On the scramble - the C came out and cut Sullivan when he started pursuit; Beisel was blocked from behind by the RWR who got held up underneath when he ran into the official and was in position to nail Monty on the QB’s cutback; G.Scott was blocked upfield by the TE.
c: Andrews came up on the FB’s flare into the left flat; Mincey, Woods, and Beisel were zone underneath.
a: Andrews shut down the receiver they wanted; Mincey held up the TE, either because the TE was blocking him before releasing into his pattern or because Mincey jammed him well; S.Thomas came unblocked off the edge and was cut by the RB, he did get back up and make a diving efort to grab the QB, but I would have expected him to be more controlled knowing the RB would have to cut him to slow him; Warfield chased the LWR across the field, then came back across to knock the QB out of bounds, twice now he’s shown good pursuit angle awareness to get across the field to bring down a runner who beat everybody else.

r: Run, left side, 3 yds.
o: WR each side, Flanker left, FB offset right.
d: 3-4, soft coverage; Freeman is in for L.Smith.
b: S.Thomas cut by the flanker; Roach cut by the LT; Sullivan stood-up by the C and chop blocked by the LG putting all three on the ground; Beisel engaged by the RG; Freeman put the RT on the ground and was engaged by the RG releasing off Beisel; Woods set the edge on the FB; C.Scott was blocked by the RWR, but put him on the ground.
a: S.Thomas kept his feet on the cut attempt and was able to close the hole and dive for the RB’s feet; Beisel was released by the RG turning to help the RT and was able to change direction and dive over the Sullivan pile to take the RB up high at the same time S.Thomas got his feet.

m: 2nd and 7
r: Pass, crossing pattern, incomplete.
o: WR each side, TE right, that offset I form above with the FB 1 yd up and 1 yd right.
d: 3-4, soft coverage, G.Scott came up to the line outside Woods showing blitz.
b: Mincey was picked up by the LT; S.Thomas came behind him and hung out like he was waiting for a RB on a wheel route; Sullivan was stood-up by the C; Freeman slanted inside and was doubled by the RT/RG; Woods was pushed wide by the FB; G.Scott beat the RB inside with a shoulder slap.
c: Beisel and Roach in zone underneath, CBs man outside, Andrews came up for the TE coming across the middle - who sat down between the LBs.
a: QB took a 5 step drop and stepped up firing a bullet (at 3 mississippi) behind the LWR on a crossing route; Beisel was sitting in his underneath zone and got his hands up but couldn’t hold the ball - the QB may not have even seen him; G.Scott had a nice blitz and did a good job on the RB, the short drop and quick throw beat him; I can’t tell if S.Thomas was supposed to be in coverage or took a play off, if he had rushed he might have been the key needed to collapse the left side of the pocket and prevent the QB from stepping up-fresh meat for G.Scott; Warfield was running with the LWR and appeared to have good position with no help over top.

m: 3rd and 7
r: Pass, slant, incomplete.
o: 3 wide, 2 right, TE left.
d: 4-2 nickel, press coverage, Izzo faking blitz inside.
DL Woods, Klecko, L.Smith, Mincey;
LB Izzo, ?Alexander?;
CB C.Scott, Poteat, Warfield;
S G.Scott, Andrews.
b: Mincey cut by the LT; L.Smith stood-up by the LG; Klecko doubled by the C/RG; Woods stood-up by the RT.
c: CBs man, LBs and Ss zone.
a: C.Scott missed his jam but got good position and timed his hit for the ball’s arrival.

m: 4th and 7
r: 45 yd Field Goal.

Score: 6; 16

Thanks as always but what do you mean by the term "student body"?

gomezcat said:

A "group" more or less.

gomezcat said:
Everybody picks up and heads the same way.

pats1 said:
A "group" more or less.

OK, thanks. I assume the line and everyone else goes left, QB bootlegs right?

gomezcat said:
QB starts left and comes back right on his bootleg - in this case the TE and the WRs were the only ones heading down field. Just think of those nature films on the African plains that you watch all the time, the herds all taking off in the same direction.

gomezcat said:

Right on.

(10 characteros)

Box_O_Rocks said:
QB starts left and comes back right on his bootleg - in this case the TE and the WRs were the only ones heading down field. Just think of those nature films on the African plains that you watch all the time, the herds all taking off in the same direction.

Gotcha. Thanks.

O9 04:41 1:44 NE 28 5 72 Touchdown

Score: 6; 16

Kickoff: Taken at the 1 by Kight, 27 yd return; Good blocks by G.Scott, Andrews, Evans, and Roach. I couldn’t see who had the speed guy on the other side of the field, but he did a nice job too. Britt was in there as a blocker, if he had been able to maintain his block he might have sprung Kight for a big return (behind Andrews led block), as it was Britt’s man got loose and forced Kight to run into traffic.

r: Pass, E.Davis along the sideline, incomplete.
o: T formation-Evans left, Mills right, E.Davis wide right-motion in to slot right, Henry wide left, D.Thomas right;
OL Hand, Steitz, Mruczkowski, Stevenson, Britt
d: 4-3, LBs all 5 yds deep, SS outside TE even with LBs, CBs soft.
b: Hand took the LDE deep, but overran and might have been beaten underneath if the play went longer; Steitz and Mruczkowski doubled the LDT; Stevenson stood-up the RDT; Britt took the RDE deep, but overran him and was beaten underneath.
c: Man, Evans and Mills ran flares and were picked up by LBs, D.Thomas was covered by the SLB.
a: E.Davis and D.Thomas were in the same area clumping defenders in with them, can’t tell if Cassel tried to thread a needle or not.

r: Run, Evans, right side, 3 yds.
o: Henry wide left, E.Davis wide right-motion in to slot right, D.Thomas flanking Britt with Rasby online outside him.
d: 4-3, LDE outside Rasby; LBs 5 yds deep, SS up outside SLB, soft coverage.
b: E.Davis blocked the SS out; Rasby went out to the SLB and turned him out; Britt rode the RDE wide; Hand went out and turned the WLB out; Steitz picked up the LDE coming on the backside; Mruczkowski turned the LDT left; Stevenson stood the RDT up.
a: The play was designed for the right ‘A’ gap with D.Thomas leading from his flanker spot; Stevenson initially turned the RDT out, but was unable to keep him from coming back underneath keying off D.Thomas’ lead; Evans bounced right through the gap vacated by Britt as he took the RDE wide and ran into the SS and SLB who fought off their blockers; Cassel faked a drop back, then handed off, it was 4 mississippi before Evans even got to the LOS - the play developed too slowly.

m: 3rd and 7
r: QB scramble 12 yds.
o: Shotgun, E.Davis wide left, Henry in slot left, Childress wide right, D.Thomas flanked left in 2 pt. stance, Evans left.
d: 4-2 nickel, press on E.Davis, WLB online showing blitz.
b: Britt and Evans corraled the RDE and WLB off the edge, Evans taking the LB deep; Stevenson turned the RDT out; Mruczkowski put the LDT on the ground (may have also tripped over Hand’s foot); Steitz picked up the LDE coming up the middle on a stunt and slowed the MLB’s middle blitz enough for Mruczkowski to leave his man on the ground and screen Cassel from the LB.
a: The stunt/blitz overloaded the middle, though Steitz and Mruczkowski did a very nice job reacting to it and protecting Cassel; Cassel pulled the ball down and ran on 4 mississippi, apparently good coverage downfield; The blitz left the middle open for the scramble.

r: Pass, E.Davis, sideline go, incomplete.
o: Henry wide right, Childress slot right, E.Davis wide left, D.Thomas left.
d: 4-2 nickel, soft coverage.
b: D.Thomas delayed his release and stood-up the LDE with Hand marking him from behind; Steitz stood-up the LDT; Mruczkowski and Stevenson doubled the RDT; Britt rode the RDE wide.
c: Man.
a: I can’t help but think this play was intended to set up the screen.

r: Screen left, Cobbs, TD
o: Cobbs in for Evans, E.Davis wide right, Childress slot right, Henry wide left, D.Thomas left.
d: 4-2 nickel, SLB online outside D.Thomas, press on Childress, SS sneaking up behind SLB showing blitz.
b: Steitz, Mruczkowski, and Stevenson roll the DTs inside; Britt rides the RDE inside and pins him against the roll-up; Hand rides the LDE inside and knocks him down; Steitz and Mruczkowksi release into the screen leaving Stevenson with the DTs; Stevenson slides out on the pass and is set to meet the backside pursuit nailing the RDT; D.Thomas blocks the SS upfield; Steitz takes out another DB; Henry blocks a third DB just before the end zone.
a: Cobbs did a nice job of faking the block on the blitzing SLB and slipping behind him; The blocking on this play was some of the best all game, great coordination in the line.

m: Extra Point
r: Gostkowski, converted.

Score: 13; 16

D9 02:57 2:56 ATL 28 5 72 Touchdown

Score: 13; 16

Kickoff: Gostkowski kicked 3 yds into end zone, returned 31 yds; Woods got the first lick on him, but he stumbled another 4 yds before Roach cleaned up.

r: Run, left side, 3 yds.
o: I formation, TE left, WR wide right, WR slot left-motion to right behind the RT.
d: 3-4, press on the RWR;
DL L.Smith, Sullivan, S.Thomas;
LB Mincey, Alexander, Roach, Banta-Cain;
CB V.Brown (wearing 43), Warfield;
S G.Scott, Andrews.
b: Banta-Cain sealed outside by the TE; S.Thomas drove the LT back into the backfield setting the edge and redirecting the play back inside; Roach spun out of the play by the LG; Sullivan blocked by the C and chipped by the RG; Alexander slipped the RG’s block; L.Smith was stood-up by the RT; The FB led through the hole and tried to block Warfield who casually slung him down.
a: The NFL.com play-by-play lists Sullivan as the tackler, I’d need a different angle to see, but S.Thomas looked to get a hand in there too; Banta-Cain got himself blocked out of the play by the rookie TE.

m: 2nd and 7
r: Pass, WR crossing underneath, 4 yds.
o: I formation, WR slot left, TE left, Flanker left-motion to slot duo left.
d: 3-4. CBS didn’t show their reaction to the motion.
b: S.Thomas doubled by LT/LG; Sullivan doubled by RG/RT; L.Smith cut by RB.
c: CBs man, LBs zone underneath - Mincey ran with the FB on the flare, Ss deep zone.
a: The Pats appeared to have a good blitz on with Roach showing blitz (it was off screen thanks to CBS, but when the ball snapped you could see he was just behind the line cheating up; Roach came in behind L.Smith and was unblocked forcing the QB to throw short; Alexander was sitting in the short center spying on the QB who tossed the rock to the WR coming underneath; The TE went to the ground anticipating Alexander’s hit, so he just needed to wrap him up in a bow.

m: 3rd and 3
r: Pass, TE corner route, 29 yds
o: 3 wide, 2 left, TE right.
d: 4-2 nickel, press coverage;
DL Mincey, Klecko, L.Smith, Banta-Cain
CB V.Brown, Poteat, Warfield
LB Alexander, Izzo
S G.Scott, Andrews
b: Mincey was stood-up by the RT; Banta-Cain was ridden deep by the LT; L.Smith was doubled by the C/RG as Klecko faked a stunt; Klecko pulled the RG left on a stunt fake, then came back and engaged him off the double-team release, beating him inside.
c: CBs man, LBs zone underneath, SS man on the TE.
a: G.Scott was running a step behind the TE, who came up the seam and started angling across the middle, then curled back to the QB a bit to create a target; Andrews came up quick in support as G.Scott wrapped up the TE and started trying to rip the ball out, Andrews threw a lame hit on the TE that bounced off; The TE went to the ground to protect the ball with G.Scott ripping at it; Klecko had good penetration and hit the QB just as he threw; Vrabel playing the middle has dropped deep enough on similar plays to force the QB to thread the needle, but the LBs were up tight underneath, perhaps honoring the QB’s run ability, and the field was wide open for the throw.

r: Run, right side, 2 yds.
o: 3 wide, 2 left, TE right.
d: 3-4, press coverage outside;
DL L.Smith, Sullivan, S.Thomas;
LB Mincey, Alexander, Roach, Banta-Cain;
CB V.Brown, Warfield;
S G.Scott, Andrews.
b: Mincey set the edge on the TE; L.Smith held the line on a double-team by the RG/RT; Sullivan was engaged by the C and chop blocked by the LG, but still created a dog pile in the middle; Alexander was cut by the LT; Roach was preparing to butt heads with the RT releasing off L.Smith when the RB being tackled took the RT down from behind.
a: Mincey, L.Smith, and Sullivan plugged things allowing S.Thomas’ unblocked backside pursuit to catch the runner at the LOS.

m: 2nd and 8
r: Broken play pass underneath to RB, TD.
o: 3 wide, 2 left, TE right, motion-RWR jogs in to slot right.
d: 3-4, press coverage, Banta-Cain over slot cheats in showing blitz off the slot;
b: Banta-Cain beat the LT with a spin move underneath; S.Thomas stood-up by the LG; Sullivan beat the C with a shoulder slap; L.Smith ridden outside by the RG; Mincey ridden outside by the RT; Alexander was blocked twice by the Umpire on the rollout; G.Scott was fighting a delaying action upfield after the catch, but was taken down by the FB as he tried to change direction with the RB.
a: This was a broken play scramble drill as Banta-Cain and Sullivan flushed the QB; The RB came through the line and reacted quickly to parallel the QB underneath and serve as a dump-off; It looks like the TE was blocking Roach the whole way, as opposed to running a route; Roach and Andrews got a welcome to NFL speed and quickness moment as each overran the play; Andrews made a heck of an effort to get back up and try for a shoe string tackle off G.Scott’s delaying tactics.

r: Converted

Score: 13; 23

Box_O_Rocks said:
Sullivan was engaged by the C and chop blocked by the LG, but still created a dog pile in the middle

Sullivan beat the C with a shoulder slap;

I knew I saw good things from Sullivan, thanks for pointing them out. He definetly has some skills. Beats one on one blocking and can two gap.

I also like what I saw from Stevenson in the previous post. Notre Dame's offensive line was great, and I remember he also played right guard for the Irish. He's a keeper.

O10 00:01 4:24 NE 23 8 77 Touchdown

Score: 13; 23

Kickoff: Andrews from 2 yds in the end zone, 25 yd return; horrible blocking.

n: End of the 3d Qtr.

r: Per NFL.com, Cobbs for 4 yds around the left end.
n: Bogus! CBS brings us back in time for the 2nd down!

m: 2nd and 6
r: Pass, Musinski, button hook, 6 yds.
o: Musinski wide left, Childress slot right, Berlin wide right, D.Thomas left side, Cobbs at RB;
OL Hand, Yates, Mruczkowski, Steitz, O’Callaghan
d: 4-2 nickel, press on Childress, SS cheated up in the box outside the TE.
b: Britt rode the RDE wide and deep; Thomas turned the LDE out and checked his rush; Yates and Hand doubled the LDT; Mruczkowski picked up the blitzing WLB; Steitz rode the RDT into Mruczkowski’s block and pinned them together.
c: Man
a: Musinski was given a huge cushion by the CB, he ran to the 1st down line and turned in; Cassel threw outside or had the ball tipped by a DL to deflect it outside; Musinski adjusted to the throw and stretched to make the catch, which pulled him back under the 1st down mark; He used the spin to give himself some forward momentum and drove for the marker along the sideline; Childress was jammed off the line and never got free; Cobbs looked to be sneeking out through the line but stumbled off Cassel or the field,

r: Scramble, Cassel, 2 yds.
o: Musinski wide right, Berlin wide left, Rasby right, D.Thomas left.
d: 4-3, ROLB on the line outside TE, SS in the box lined up outside WLB, CBs soft.
b: Rasby battled the SLB laterally right; O’Callaghan fought the RDE laterally right, but was eventually beaten outside; Steitz was marking the MLB who couldn’t make up his mind to blitz or shadow Cobbs wheel route; Mruczkowski was bull rushed into the backfield; Yates and Hand doubled the RDT and stood him up; D.Thomas was beaten outside by the LDE; Hand released off the double-team when he realized D.Thomas was in trouble, he was too late for that, but when Cassel felt the pressure and ole’d the LDE, Hand was in position to take out the RDT and RDE closing in on Cassel after Mruczkowski and O’Callaghan lost control of their blocks; Yates lost control of the LDT as the scramble angle changed, but D.Thomas had recovered and was leading Cassel, he plowed into the LDT and was driving him, then Yates caught up and the double-team pancaked the poor DT.
c: Can’t tell, there were only two WRs upfield and Cobbs wheeling out for the dump off with the MLB eventually chasing after him.
a: D.Thomas was left with the LDE before, it must have been expected he could handle him again, but he was beaten from the snap; Cassel had a 3.5 mississippi in the pocket, but not much your going to do with only two receivers upfield; Cassel did a heck of a job feeling the backside rush and ducking away from the LDE’s tackle; Guys may have screwed up the blocking assignments, but there was a lot of hustle, especially Hand and D.Thomas, to get themselves into a position to help.

m: 2nd and 8
r: Pass, dump-off underneath, Cobbs, 9 yds.
o: Musinski wide left, Childress slot right, Berlin wide right, D.Thomas left.
d: 4-2 nickel, press on Musinski.
b: O’Callaghan rode the RDE deep, but was beaten on the corner, he stuck with his block and pushed the guy down as Cassel stepped up into the pocket; Steitz stood-up the RDT; Yates rode the LDT outside; Hand rode the LDE wide; Mruczkowski eventually doubled with Steitz for something to do.
c: LBs zone underneath, man on the WRs.
a: Cobbs is a shifty little Faulk analogue who was ignored by the LBs focusing on Cassel and was wide open underneath; The throw was behind him but he adjusted and turned upfield for the 1st down; Berlin had a nice block on the RCB.

r: Pass, broken play, Mills, 15 yds.
o: Musinski wide right, Mills slot left, Berlin wide left, D.Thomas right.
d: 4-2 nickel, SS cheating up in the box showing blitz.
b: The D-line did a wheel left to open a lane for the SS blitz; D.Thomas picked up the blitz, stuck with his block, and pancaked him off the QB scramble change of direction; O’Callaghan was beaten inside by the RDE; Steitz rode the RDT left; Yates rode the LDT wide; Hand rode the LDE wide and deep; Mruczkowski eventually doubled with Yates.
c: LBs zone underneath.
a: It looks like the secondary was in zone the way Mills came open, but I’m guessing; Mills looked to be running a crossing route behind the LBs and just kept coming to the sideline as Cassel scrambled out; O’Callaghan’s man flushed Cassel, who is showing some elusivenss, but he keeps throwing behind his receivers.

r: Run, Cobbs, up the middle, 9yds.
o: Musinski wide right, Mills slot left, Berlin wide left, D.Thomas right.
d: 4-3, SLB online outside TE, press on Berlin.
b: Hand took the LDE outside; Yates pulled, crossing the backfield to seal the SLB outside; Mruczkowski turned the LDT left; Steitz turned the RDT right and pancaked him; O’Callagahn mauled the MLB; D.Thomas rode the RDE to the left and tripped him over the RDT; Berlin screened the LCB; Mills locked up the SS upfield, but lost the block when Cobbs went by him; You can see Musinski lining up the RCB, then he goes off screen, the RCB never gets back in the picture either.
a: Cobbs pulled a disappearing act in the backfield, watch the WLB who thinks Cobbs was going outside as he runs alongside O’Callaghan’s brutalizing of the MLB trying to spy Cobbs; The SS was able to break away from Mills’ block to make the tackle, the FS came up and put a lick on Cobbs as he was going down, but Cobbs walks back to the huddle like nothing happened.

m: 2nd and 1
r: Pass, Mills, crossing pattern, 31 yds.
o: Musinski wide right-motions in to slot right, Mills slot left, Berlin wide left, D.Thomas right.
d: 4-3, SLB online outside TE, soft coverage.
b: Hand rode the LDE downfield; Yates, Mruczkowski, and Steitz opened a law firm and, no actually they just rolled two DTs together amd mauled them; O’Callaghan and D.Thomas doubled the RDE before D.Thomas released into a the flat.
c: CBs man, SS man on Mills, LBs underneath zone, FS deep.
a: Berlin and Musinski went deep with Musinski sucking the FS over; Mills ran the same crossing pattern, outrunning the SS; With no one in his face or at his heels, Cassel hit Mills in stride.

m: 1st and goal (Atlanta 1)
r: Run, Evans, right side, TD.
o: I formation - FB Mills, TB Evans, 3 TE Rasby right, D.Thomas flanker, Britt left - motion D.Thomas does an in to the QB and back to Flanker.
d: 4-4-3, SLB online right.
b: Rasby stood-up the SLB; D.Thomas drove the S into the end zone; Mruczkowski nearly got his butt kicked by the LDT before tripping him over Steitz; Britt bulldogged the LDE; Hand cut the LDT; Yates fired out and cut the LILB; O’Callgahan buried the RDE; Steitz buried the RILB.
a: Mills did a decoy diving over Steitz and O’Callaghan and drawing the remaining DBs attention; Other then trying to trip over his blockers feet, Evans waltzed in untouched.

r: Gramatica, converted.

Score: 20; 23

Ichiro said:
I knew I saw good things from Sullivan, thanks for pointing them out. He definetly has some skills. Beats one on one blocking and can two gap.

I also like what I saw from Stevenson in the previous post. Notre Dame's offensive line was great, and I remember he also played right guard for the Irish. He's a keeper.
Sully is still learning the two-gap, it took Wilfork a year and half to get the handle on it. The SOBs chop blocking him all the time don't do much to help his game - Thanks NFL officiating.

Based on what I've broken down so far, I can make a case for Stevenson, Hand, and Steitz. Hand surprised me with his play at LT, he's a RT by trade and the one All-Star game I saw him in did nothing to impress me, that's changed with this tape. Steitz has just played both G spots in the two series he was in, he looks good both ways and I liked him in NFLE, except for his cut blocking, that was lame over there. Stevenson looks like a good strong fundamental blocker (within the limits of my ignorance on fundamentals). BB and Dante are going to be doing some deep analyzing, but I think Stevenson does have an edge on the others based on his playing time tonight.

I believe it was on Boston Sports Media Watch, there was a list of things the writer wanted to see in the Arizona game. One of those items was for David Thomas to showcase his talents. Kind of hard to do when your in helping O'Callaghan and Britt on pass protection. I'll tell you what (where is Paul McGuire anyway?), Thomas is looking better than Watson at the moment, I think Dante and Mangurian are going to create another Graham in a year or two.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I'll tell you what (where is Paul McGuire anyway?), Thomas is looking better than Watson at the moment, I think Dante and Mangurian are going to create another Graham in a year or two.
That's impressive, because we know the guy can catch. Thing is, one preseason game against 2nd and 3rd string and it's all a bit misleading. But like you said, give Mangurian some time...

PatsFan37 said:
That's impressive, because we know the guy can catch. Thing is, one preseason game against 2nd and 3rd string and it's all a bit misleading. But like you said, give Mangurian some time...
Let us not totally discount 2nd and 3rd string DEs - on a team like the Falcons those are guys like Jarvis Green, TBC, Mincey, Woods, Mike Vrabel as a Steeler. They may not be getting the starts, but they are good enough to create competition for the Kearneys and Abrahams.

Some days this forum gets me worried about the depth of people's perceptions; Thursday Reiss has a great article on Graham and the high praise Bavaro has for his game, and no one cared enough to start a thread. I'd feel guilty if it weren't for the body of work in this thread to show for my time. But having found it today, all I have to say is I told you so! There is a reason I considered Graham the higher re-signing priority than Branch.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...6/08/17/these_tight_ends_are_tight/?page=full

Based on the Atlanta tape only, I now have this vision of Thomas and Graham being the building blocks for Watson's aerobatic routines. I can only hope Watson improves his blocking this year, but without breaking down the series Pats1 did, my impression watching during the game wasn't positive. Still, he's a lovely threat upfield.

Re-sign Graham and let the twig blow in the wind. :rocker:

Box_O_Rocks said:
Thursday Reiss has a great article on Graham and the high praise Bavaro has for his game, and no one cared enough to start a thread. I'd feel guilty if it weren't for the body of work in this thread to show for my time. But having found it today, all I have to say is I told you so! There is a reason I considered Graham the higher re-signing priority than Branch.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/08/17/these_tight_ends_are_tight/?page=full

Re-sign Graham and let the twig blow in the wind. :rocker:

Any time you need a baritone to sing in the Dan Graham chorus, I'll be there ...

Box_O_Rocks said:
Yates, Mruczkowski, and Steitz opened a law firm and, no actually they just rolled two DTs together amd mauled them;

:rofl: Just trying to see if we were paying attention, were you?

I do find it disappointing all the threads about trading Graham for this receiver or that linebacker. The Pats would have lost to the Colts without him in there to stop Freeney and block for Dillon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News