PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asomugha to JEST a good thing!??!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some move make no sense to me..Holmes for 10 mil a year, when Moss signed his first long term deal in NE he got 9 mil a year IIRC, Moss is far better than Holmes in every way.

Moss is better than Holmes - right now? Sure, Old Moss is inifinitely better than current Holmes. But, current Holmes is only 27 years old. He's improving with every year. He's a SB MVP. I'd take Holmes over Moss today, tomorrow and every Sunday going forward. C'mon now....

I liked the Jets alot better when they didn't have Revis. I certainly don't want them to have Asomugha.

As a matter of fact, who are the two worst cornerbacks in the league? I don't know who they are but I want the Jets to have them instead.

Moss is better than Holmes - right now? Sure, Old Moss is inifinitely better than current Holmes. But, current Holmes is only 27 years old. He's improving with every year. He's a SB MVP. I'd take Holmes over Moss today, tomorrow and every Sunday going forward. C'mon now....

I'm talking about when the both got offers from the team that gave them another chance. That Moss compared to this Holmes.

Also, I wouldnt want Holmes, he is a bit overrated IMO.

In my opinion the only was Asomugha to the Jets is a good thing from the perspective of a Patriots fan is if he signs for a record-setting contract, which in turn causes the Jets to end up having to start fourteen undrafted free agents. And then he has lingering, season-long hammy issues.

On the other end of the spectrum, a good player willing to give a sizable to discount to play for a specific team can in no way be a good thing for another team in that division or conference - which is what some are speculating could happen.

I totally agree. The salary cap went down! It's at 2008 levels. To be competitive in the NFL, you have to play all 22 positions and have solid special teams. Depth will be even more important in 2011-12.

I'd love for the Jets to turn into the Washington Redskins. Look at what the Ravens did yesterday - they let 4 very good veterans go to give them room to build a solid and deep team once again.

I hope the Jets sign Holmes, Edwards and Asomugha to huge contracts and have monks and nuns who took an oath of poverty as backups.

Gorge away Rex!

if they sign the S Asmo mablahgah then I see our football team becoming a very run heavy team, relatively speaking. We normally Pass what 3 times more than run it? If they land the S we use the run much much more. I <3 our underneath options in Hernandez, Woody, Wes, Edel. Height wise we have GRONK and I see no S or CB covering him and his arm range

I am not scared... they try to hurt our passing game we beat them with our runs and underneath routes that are just as good as runs. When we establish the run in those Jet games... they will NEVER be able to handle this unpredictable Offensive Juggernaut.

As Lombardi tweeted a while ago, the JETS can manufacture cap room and sign anyone they want. But the trade off in doing so is to weaken themselves in other areas including depth. Bill has always expounded that tradeeoff philosophy. As well as adhering to Kipling's law of the jungle in assembling his own roster.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle — as old and as true as the sky; And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die. As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back — For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.

if they sign the S Asmo mablahgah then I see our football team becoming a very run heavy team, relatively speaking. We normally Pass what 3 times more than run it? If they land the S we use the run much much more. I <3 our underneath options in Hernandez, Woody, Wes, Edel. Height wise we have GRONK and I see no S or CB covering him and his arm range

I am not scared... they try to hurt our passing game we beat them with our runs and underneath routes that are just as good as runs. When we establish the run in those Jet games... they will NEVER be able to handle this unpredictable Offensive Juggernaut.

Yeah because adding Nnamdi hurts the already terrible Jets run defense...Not to mention they completely shut down the underneath game last time we played them partly because there was little over the top threat.

That's one way to look at it, OTG. But I do agree with those who say that having the #1 LCB and #1 RCB in the entire NFL will allow Rex Ryan to dial up more exotic schemes and a higher percentage of all out blitzes.

First of all, all of these 'experts' who said the NYJ were in cap hell were apparently wrong, or at least not as right as they thought they were. I recently saw that they were about 5-7 million over. A well respected poster told us this morning that they are only 1 million over. I suppose the answer likely lies somewhere in the middle, depending on how these sources are computing the numbers, but I had assumed it was way worse.

Jets were about 9M under the non-adjusted cap at the start of FA, including Harris at the franchise number and Sanchez pre-restructuring. They signed Wayne Hunter (avg 3.25M per) and Holmes (avg 10M per) and restructured sanchez, so who knows where the Jets are now, cap wise. Jason (at nyjetscap.com) is the best source.

I am wondering if Rex is so in love with the idea of having the two best CBs that he isn't looking at the ramifications of building a team. They are dangerously thin at a lot of areas most notably WR (even with Holmes back in the fold) and safety. Getting Asomugha may make their starting defense significantly better, their team could spiral with two or three key injuries.

How is this a good thing? They will blitz everyone just like in the playoff game and give brady fits

Now this is the Law of the Jungle — as old and as true as the sky; And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die. As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back — For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.

nice touch Mo:)

lololol

Only on this forum would fans twist Asomugha to the Jets into a "good" thing for the PATS.

Wow.. the logic around here never ceases to amaze.

It's jeffbiologist. You can't blame anything that he says on this forum :p

Jets were about 9M under the non-adjusted cap at the start of FA, including Harris at the franchise number and Sanchez pre-restructuring. They signed Wayne Hunter (avg 3.25M per) and Holmes (avg 10M per) and restructured sanchez, so who knows where the Jets are now, cap wise. Jason (at nyjetscap.com) is the best source.

Thanks for the analysis. I am not sure (in the least) where all of these posters around here got the idea that the NYJ were in cap hell then?

I suppose one person's (wrong) opinion spread like wild-fire, and everyone ran with it..go figure.

I did not know that they were "9 million UNDER" the cap at the start of FA? So, what you're saying is, not only were they NOT in cap hell, but they were actually better off than the NE Patriots even were?

I am quickly learning that these cap numbers that everyone throws around do not mean a damn thing, as everyone is continuing to come up with their own assessment based on different criteria.

UMMM-No. What Nnamdi does is take out a WR 1-on-1, same with Revis. This allows the safeties to play run heavy in the box. If they stack the box no way can you run. Its a chess game and you are playing checkers.

How is this a good thing? They will blitz everyone just like in the playoff game and give brady fits

So you are saying the Jets won't blitz at all? They sure didn't in the playoff game. They gave Brady fits because they were in subpackages all game and mostly dropped everyone in coverage giving no one to throw to. Brady was sacked on four man rushes mostly on coverage sacks.

The Jets blitzed all game in the November game where the Pats killed them.

UMMM-No. What Nnamdi does is take out a WR 1-on-1, same with Revis. This allows the safeties to play run heavy in the box. If they stack the box no way can you run. Its a chess game and you are playing checkers.

Exactly what I was thinking. We'd have to try and beat them with the TE's basically while they cover Welker and Branch.

PFT (Michael David Smith) is saying that the Texans are still in the mix. But San Fran is really making a hard sell. It might be too tough for Aso to say no to them.

Yeah because adding Nnamdi hurts the already terrible Jets run defense...Not to mention they completely shut down the underneath game last time we played them partly because there was little over the top threat.

The Jets do have a hell of a defense. But they ought to take it easy with early big signings that will cut down on flexibility in the coming days. I was surprised to learn that Asomugha is 30-years-old. They have $32 million tied up in Revis already. What's the deal with Antonio Cromartie? Don't the Jets have to pay child support for his 10 kids by 12 wives or whatever the hell it is?

If they sign Asomughawawawa, it will be interesting to see who they cut loose to get under the cap. It's risky to tie up so much money with two veteran CBs.

The transactions list is going haywire with good players being released and street free agents being signed to get to 90 players and the floor of the salary cap. This is going to be fun.

Last edited:
Thanks for the analysis. I am not sure (in the least) where all of these posters around here got the idea that the NYJ were in cap hell then?

I suppose one person's (wrong) opinion spread like wild-fire, and everyone ran with it..go figure.

I did not know that they were "9 million UNDER" the cap at the start of FA? So, what you're saying is, not only were they NOT in cap hell, but they were actually better off than the NE Patriots even were?

I am quickly learning that these cap numbers that everyone throws around do not mean a damn thing, as everyone is continuing to come up with their own assessment based on different criteria.

Pretty much. The "1M over the cap" number came from a John Clayton article that assumed that since players cut in 2010 didn't have their prorated money accelerate into a capped year, that dead money would land on the 2011 cap.

In what universe is the Jets having the two best cb's in the NFL a "good thing" ?

Free agency hasn't started yet so I see no reason to panic. That said I hope the Patriots take a page or two out of the Jets handbook and aggressively pursue quality free agents...Say what you will about Rex Ryan, but there is no way he would not address the glearing weakness the Pat's have in regards to their pass rush for the last couple of seasons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes