PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asomugha to JEST a good thing!??!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you are such a HOMER that you would rather not respect the other team or the athletic competition?

I'm not a homer at all. I don't think homer is even the word you wanted to use here.

Knowing the results in advance, would you rather watch a 24-21 win or a 59-0 blowout? According to you the blowout right?

Neither. If I already know the precise outcome, I have no interest in watching the game. At that point, the only thing I'd be doing was breaking down the game, which is not the same thing in my book.

What do you learn about your team in a blowout??

Some things you can learn in a blowout: Who is driven enough to keep competing? How good are the replacements doing? How does the team look in specific situations with mixed personnel?

Dont you learn more about your team in a tight, hard-fought win?? There are different schools of thought for sure.

In my experience, it's more that you're learning some different things.

Parcells liked building the team, Belichick would rather coach the game. That doesnt mean Parcells didnt coach and BB didnt build, right? This team isnt even built yet, they havent won a game. You dont know who is going to make the team and you certainly dont know much about the team(s)we will be playing.

This is completely irrelevant to the point you were trying to make.

What makes sports and football in particular a fantastic specatator sport is that it is the ultimate reality show. The players, the characters change and the landscape evolves each week. Last years heavy favorites are this years Cinderellas, etc. To watch every game with the idea of beating the opponent as badly as possible is to simply not enjoy sport.

You are welcome to your opinion. I'll keep mine. When I began playing sports, I was at an age that was so young I needed waivers just to get into the youngest levels. From day one, I always wanted to win. From day one, I wanted to crush the opponents in any organized/league situation. That drove me to improve, especially if I lost. I keep that same approach when watching. If you can win by 7, try to win by 14. There eventually comes a point where you can pull back, but that's only when the opponent is clearly finished and has surrendered, or when impossibility of victory has made the opponent's efforts more humorous than challenging. Belichick takes the same approach. It's one of the things I respect about him, although it's a fine line and sometimes I'll probably rail about him running it up now and again, because the point where keeping it going becomes running it up is really an individually assessed moment.

The best game I ever went to was the 02 Finale when we came back from 10 points down with 2 minutes left to win in OT. The JEST won and we didnt make the playoffs but that doesnt discount the QUALITY of the game regardless of playoff outcome.

I thoroughly enjoyed 45-3 last year. I sure as hell enjoyed it a lot more than I enjoyed the sequel.

We've seen it play out, time and again. People love watching Goliath. We saw that with Tyson. We saw that with the ratings the Patriots got in 2007. Whether it's people hoping to see a David step up, or it's people wanting to see Goliath crush his opponents, a Goliath is a huge draw in sporting contests.

Your seeming disdain for games that can become blowouts seems out of place in the world of professional sports, where even the best teams can get their hats handed to them if they don't show up to play a given game. Perhaps you should be focusing your time on a kiddie league in your area where they don't keep score and don't have winners and losers.

Last edited:
Signing Naomi would be the antithesis of the way we do things in NE, the Jets would tie up mucho cash for about 4 players.. so much so their depth and quality at other positions would suffer.

Having the two best CB's in the league would be nice, but what would be better is a balanced defense.. as good as they are, they cannot cover 48,000 sq. ft by themselves..

The Jets are also 1 million over the salary cap, so they have to dump a lot of folks to pull this off..

Last edited:
What the hell are you talking about? Who watches games hoping to have a competitive ball game. I want to see us destroy everyone.

Agreed. We get enough "heart attack" games with the Pats....it is GREAT when they DESTROY a team, or do it for an entire season.....wish it would happen more often!

The Jets are also 1 million over the salary cap, so they have to dump a lot of folks to pull this off..

Yeah, I agree that they have to get creative, but 1 million over (or whatever it is, as I saw somewhere between 5-7 over from another source, obviously depending on how the sources are figuring it out) is not the supposed 'cap hell' that so many talked of on these boards for the entire offseason.

I don't know why, but I think I myself assumed that the NYJ were in a lot worse situation than they really are--I guess just from listening to people on this forum.

1 million over (or even 5 million over) is not anywhere near as bad as I thought, or as many others continue to think--for that matter.

The way most were talking, it seemed as though the NYJ were pretty screwed in terms of the cap this yr, and it doesn't appear that they're anywhere close to as bad as many were making it out to be.

First, I think Asomugha to the Jets is more of a media creation than a reality. Yes, he may take less to go to the Jets, but probably not the less the Jets can afford. Someone is probably going to give him $15-18 million a year. What the Jets might offer him $10-12 million a year. He's not going to take a $20 million discount to go to the Jets. He might take a $3-5 million.

Second, the Jets getting Asomugha will not be all rosey for the Jets. Most people admit to get Asomugha, the Jets will probably have to cut several veterans (possibly Thomas or Pace or both) and let some areas of need like safety or OLB and be addressed with bargain basement talent.

Yes, getting Asomugha would be a huge upgrade at CB, but until we see what the Jets would have to give up in terms of sacrificing other areas, we won't know how much he improves the team. Personally, I think they will drop out of the competition when they see what teams like Houston, Dallas, or whoever start to throw at him. His desire to be an actor after he retires is not enough to leave tens of millions on the table.

Last edited:
How is this a good thing?

Can you imagine how much blitzing Rex could do if he had both of those guys as his corners? It'd be a nightmare for Brady and this O-Line, especially with a rookie like Solder likely at LT or RT.

You think Rex is exotic on D now? Give him two CB's who can play on an island and watch what he does with his front 7.

Tom Brady has had all of one good game vs a Rex Ryan defense in his career. The 45-3 game. Other than that, Rex's defenses have made him looked confused and have pretty much given him more trouble than anyone else in the league.

I don't know why any Pats fan would want to watch Rex's D tee off on Brady and this O-Line with those two corners.

This! I dont want to see them get him alongside Revis, this will be a nightmare. As much as I hate to admit, he's right... Brady looks confused all the time when he plays the Jets, the blitzing kills us.

Playing other teams with a world class secondary might be fun to watch. The Jets? No bleepin' way. I don't want a fair fight against them. I want to crush them in perpetuity.

Take off your homer hats for a few minutes and imagine Nnamdi to the Jets. If you are a football purist you gotta love the idea of TB going up against the best secondary in modern history 2-3x a year dontcha?? New York/Boston, Belichick/Ryan, Offense/Defense, so many story lines. There is so much more satisfaction in beating a good team than a crappy team, right? I dont expect everyone to be so bold as to emplore competition, but isnt that what we watch football for to begin with?

As an NFL fan would love that but as a Pats fan hell no. And since I am a pats fan why would I want the Jets to add another all-pro at the other CB spot to go with Revis?

FWIW, Albert Breer said that his sources say that there is a decent chance that the Jets cut Bart Scott if they get Asomugha. Bryan Thomas is likely gone too.

If this happens I will be thrilled for a few reasons.

1: Jets fans will claim superbowl again, only to have their dreams crushed once again.

2: Sanchez who is already bad will have no WR to throw to

3: and, with those 2 CB out there, the game will be easily won by Gronk and Hernandez, and not to mention the HB screen to woodhead will kill them ALL DAY.

I agree that the best games are when the patriots destroy other teams. I dont care about gamemenship or good competition. In fact, its good for my health when games are not close. There are not to many games I can take pacing back and fourth with 3 mins left down by 6.

No one here can honestly say that durring colts games, you LOVE it when Manning has the ball and can once again seal the game by throwing on our D. We all love when the score is 31 to 0 in the first half, and HATE when they come back and have a chance to win the the 4th.

I say, give me a schedule that is all against the Bills at New England.

In the words of a very wise, criminal....

yap yap yap yap...bottom line is you have to buckle up your chin strap

who cares if he goes to the Jets. As we all know, we need to focus on the Patriot locker room. Let the mediots have their fun....

This would be a very bad thing. Cheap wr's that can produce (see Randy Moss) are fairly easy to come by. A guy of Asomugha's talents on that defense would make the Jets the odds on Superbowl favorite.

Rememer, the Jets shut down the Patriots when it counter w/out Asomugha. Imagine what it would be with him.

No, one of the best defensive players in the league going to a division rival is not a good thing. If jets manage to clean out enough room to get him that is going to be very bad.

This would be a very bad thing. Cheap wr's that can produce (see Randy Moss) are fairly easy to come by. A guy of Asomugha's talents on that defense would make the Jets the odds on Superbowl favorite.

Rememer, the Jets shut down the Patriots when it counter w/out Asomugha. Imagine what it would be with him.

First, cheap WRs can be come by if you have a good, consistent QB. Sanchez definitely isn't consistent and the jury is out on whether he is even good.

Second, if the Jets have to cut Bryan Thomas and Bart Scott to get Aso, it might not be the upgrade people think. The Jets will have to cut a few veterans to get the money to pay Aso since he will get similiar money that Revis got. Thomas is definitely gone. Albert Breer says Scott is a potential other cut.

Third, the Pats crushed the Jets the last time they met in the regular season. One game means very little. The Pats beat the Jets in November and the Jets made adjustments to beat the Pats in the playoffs. Do you really think Belichick isn't going to make adjustments from that game? Free agency hasn't started. Maybe Belichick upgrades this team in free agency too. It isn't like the Jets have an exclusive on improving their team through free agency. What if the Pats add Manny Lawson or Mathias Kiwanuka or Simineone Rice or whoever? The Pats will likely be a better team by the end of next week than they are right now.

Again, not saying Aso won't improve their team, but it isn't a guarantee it is a huge upgrade especially if the Jets have to weaken their team in several other areas to get him.

Last edited:
I'm game for it. BB would have to do more quick slants, more running, 2 TE sets...but what do I know.

We know what were up against w/ the Jets....yet again-another tight year-great:(

If this happens I will be thrilled for a few reasons.

1: Jets fans will claim superbowl again, only to have their dreams crushed once again.

2: Sanchez who is already bad will have no WR to throw to

3: and, with those 2 CB out there, the game will be easily won by Gronk and Hernandez, and not to mention the HB screen to woodhead will kill them ALL DAY.

ITA with your 3rd point. Another elite corner is almost the last thing the Jets need if they are concerned with matching up with New England. I'd be more concerned if they added that quality of a player at pretty much every other position on defense.

its not a good thing if they sign him and we dont improve the wr and focus on the running game against them... also it wont matter unless we can have someone that rushes the passer...

My concern would be that if they successfully staff up the expensive slots in their system, they may be able to get good results with cheap guys at other positions.

But the truth is that I don't believe in the scheme the Jets used in the last playoff game working repeatedly. Ryan/Brady will be like BB/Manning -- ownage the first few times they face each other, then running low on new wrinkles and getting shredded by a truly great QB and system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News