PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asomugha to JEST a good thing!??!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you are such a HOMER that...

This might be the first time I've seen someone call Deus a homer... that baffles me.

On winning big versus tight games, I can appreciate both, but I want to see EXCELLENCE in the team I'm following. Embarrassing another team is one way to show that. To be fair, watching a team overcome adversity to win a tight game is also a form of excellence... but not as much so.

On Asomugha, something's gotta give. In their cap situation (even with some of the rules granting them relief), they can't just add him to the team from last year. Adding him would mean losing strength elsewhere, and they were already not a deep team at many positions to begin with.

lololol

Only on this forum would fans twist Asomugha to the Jets into a "good" thing for the PATS.

Wow.. the logic around here never ceases to amaze.

I think Nhamdi is not going anywhere

We will see him in Oakland this year as a part of their team

Crazy Al will not let him go unless some crazy deal is offered and if so I would expect that to be Snyder...not Johnson

nnamdi to the jets is all just speculation and conjecture at this point.

i will worry about the jets when we meet them in the regular season...

its not a good thing if they sign him and we dont improve the wr and focus on the running game against them... also it wont matter unless we can have someone that rushes the passer...

That leads directly to my second point. If they do sign him doesnt that force us to counter the move a bit? Could this not help us get say WR Rice??

Nmadi and the Jets are pretty serious. He wanted to play with Revis since 2009. Now he can, and it looks like he will be taking less $ to do it.

whats this talk about the jets getting the two best CBs in the nfl? I didnt hear anything about them getting McCourty.

That would be one of the most impressive cornerback duos in league history, but even if he takes a discount, he's still going to get a lot of money. I don't think this would hurt a team like the Pats as much as others. Revis and Asomougha would take their two best WRs out of the game, but the Pats would still have plenty of options with a bunch of scrubs covering them. Have you seen how many holes the Jets have on defense now? Take away Branch and Welker; the Pats are loaded with four young, productive running backs, Gronk, Hernandez, Woodhead. I thnk the Jets would be smarter to put eleven solid defenders on the field, rather than having 3-4 great players and seven rag taggers.

lololol

Only on this forum would fans twist Asomugha to the Jets into a "good" thing for the PATS.

Nothing wrong with the logic if you have the intelligence to evaluate.

The point is the signing is not addition by addition.

If one guy gets signed but 2 or 3 guys get cut and 2 or 3 guys don't get signed; it's a plausible scenario.

The reality is in the AFCCG, the Steelers ran over them. How does a $40M CB tandem solve that? Cutting LB's solve that?

I might be in the minority here, but I don't give a damn about the Jets. I care about what BB and co are doing to improve "MY HOME TEAM"!!! We need a pass rush and a damn WR that can actually stretch the field wouldn't hurt either. Yes I'm impatient. The last two home playoff games have been brutal. It's time to cut the crap and get a damn pass rush on this team. That's what I care about!:mad: It was an absolute disgrace to watch Sanchez have all day to throw in that playoff game.

If the Jets get Asomugha, more power to them. At least their front office is being aggressive. What is our FO doing? I'll bet money that this time next week, we will be asking the same two questions: When are they going to sign a pass rusher? Who is going to stretch the field?

Last edited:
In my opinion the only was Asomugha to the Jets is a good thing from the perspective of a Patriots fan is if he signs for a record-setting contract, which in turn causes the Jets to end up having to start fourteen undrafted free agents. And then he has lingering, season-long hammy issues.

On the other end of the spectrum, a good player willing to give a sizable to discount to play for a specific team can in no way be a good thing for another team in that division or conference - which is what some are speculating could happen.

Last edited:
I might be in the minority here, but I don't give a damn about the Jets. I care about what BB and co are doing to improve "MY HOME TEAM"!!! We need a pass rush and a damn WR that can actually stretch the field wouldn't hurt either. Yes I'm impatient. The last two home playoff games have been brutal. It's time to cut the crap and get a damn pass rush on this team. That's what I care about!:mad: It was an absolute disgrace to watch Sanchez have all day to throw in that playoff game.

If the Jets get Asomugha, more power to them. At least their front office is being aggressive. What is our FO doing? I'll bet money that this time next week, we will be asking the same two questions: When are they going to sign a pass rusher? Who is going to stretch the field?

Who's "we"?

Nmadi and the Jets are pretty serious. He wanted to play with Revis since 2009. Now he can, and it looks like he will be taking less $ to do it.

If the Jets get him, they still will have the two highest paid CBs in the league on their roster. He is willing to take less to be a Jet, but it is doubtful he is willing to take $10-20 million less to be a Jet. He might take a million a year discount, but not likely to take $3-4 million. He is still going to get $12-14 million a year at a minimum no matter where he plays.

According to Andy Gresch's sources, the Jets know they are going to have to give him an elite salary and they are just gambling that the cap will go up exponentially in 2014 and redo deals with Sanchez and Ferguson pushing money into that year. According to Gresch, the Jets are prepared to give up on all other free agent resignings other than Holmes and potentially cut three veterans to do it. It could be a costly gamble if they are wrong.

lololol

It isn't a good thing, but it isn't neccessarily a really bad thing. Or at least it isn't as bad as it looks on its face. It all depends on what they have to give up to get him.

I hope you're wrong. I'm getting a bad feeling about this one. I for one admire the Jets FO being aggressive in FA. We'll seeif they can do it and manage the cap in the next few years.

If reports are true that Santonio Holmes is going to sign with the Jets with a deal that's in the $10 million per year range, then there's no way Asomugha will be going there too.

The only disclaimer I would add is that history has shown a very large percentage of these scoops to be wildly incorrect. I'll believe the Holmes signing when it becomes official, rather than put much of any faith in anything based on some anonymous unnamed league source.

If reports are true that Santonio Holmes is going to sign with the Jets with a deal that's in the $10 million per year range, then there's no way Asomugha will be going there too.

The only disclaimer I would add is that history has shown a very large percentage of these scoops to be wildly incorrect. I'll believe the Holmes signing when it becomes official, rather than put much of any faith in anything based on some anonymous unnamed league source.

Santonio is resigning with the Jets and the Jets will pursue Nnamdi 1st and Edwards/Cro second. Players there are willing to restructure contracts to make it happen.

Last edited:

Some move make no sense to me..Holmes for 10 mil a year, when Moss signed his first long term deal in NE he got 9 mil a year IIRC, Moss is far better than Holmes in every way.

Take off your homer hats for a few minutes and imagine Nnamdi to the Jets. If you are a football purist you gotta love the idea of TB going up against the best secondary in modern history 2-3x a year dontcha?? New York/Boston, Belichick/Ryan, Offense/Defense, so many story lines. There is so much more satisfaction in beating a good team than a crappy team, right? I dont expect everyone to be so bold as to emplore competition, but isnt that what we watch football for to begin with?

Personally, I like it better when my team steamrolls over the competition. Makes for a way more pleasant Sunday. :)

the jets are aggressive again.......

with aso, they would seemingly have the upper hand.....they still have coverage issues in the middle and LB......

hope the pats youth takes the next step this season.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back