PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are you confident in this defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh?

I think you and Bucky need to quit while your really behind. There are two stats that matter- points and win/loss.

A defense that is 8th in points allowed is far more important than some of the "stats" you mentioned. You don't get more points for a passing TD vs a rushing TD.

You don't get more points for 70 yards TD pass than a 3 yard run.

It's like the "pundits" lauding the Minnesota run defense without realizing a 32nd pass defense might have something to do with it.

Points allowed isn't even close to the most illuminating stat when evaluating how good a defense is. It has as much to do with TOP and field position as anything else. The most important stat is 3rd down conversion percentage, and the Pats were pretty bad in that area last year. A defense that has trouble getting off the field on third down isn't a great defense. I think they'll be much better this year, though, so rock on.

Last edited:
i think this D will start off not very good and will have a bad game here and there

but at the end of the year they will be playing good ball

but no this is not a D that will win a 7 to 3 game

the D line is the best in the NFL

but the LB for a 3-4 team are average

and every DB they put back there dont look very good

2005 was the worst

2005 was bad, but they righted the ship when Bruschi got into shape and Vrabel moved inside. Last year, it was just bad.

Points allowed isn't even close to the most illuminating stat when evaluating how good a defense is. It has as much to do with TOP and field position as anything else. The most important stat is 3rd down conversion percentage, and the Pats were pretty bad in that area last year. A defense that has trouble getting off the field on third down isn't a great defense. I think they'll be much better this year, though, so rock on.

OK. Cant wait til we get awarded a victory for our great 3rd down conversion afternoon when the other team scores more points.
Time of possession is controlled by the defense as much as the offense.

OK. Cant wait til we get awarded a victory for our great 3rd down conversion afternoon when the other team scores more points.

C'mon Andy, I know you're smarter than that. Some variation of this type of argument always gets tossed out there like it's some trump card, whether it's RayClay talking about how SBs won somehow determines how good your running game is, people crowning BJGE because he managed to get 5 TDs last year, or people talking about how wins somehow determines who the best quarterback is. The fault of these types of arguments is always a clear underestimation of the number of factors that are at play.

If you want to meaningfully analyze a unit, you have to remove all of the noise (the elements that are beyond that unit's control) and drill down to the core issues. You can't do that using points-against, which has as much to do with TOP and field position as anything, and which both have as much to do with the offense as the defense (you admit as much yourself later in your post).

Situation 1: Offense scores a touchdown. Kickoff goes for a touchback. Defense has 80 yards of field to work with, gives up 40 yards, forces a punt.

Situation 2: Offense throws an interception, returned to the 30 yard line, but the defense manages a three-and-out and holds them to a FG.

Personally, I'd argue that defense #2 did a better job, although they both got the job done. Defense #2 will be penalized in the scoring rankings, however, for something that was the offense's fault. Similarly, if that's a common thing for defense #1, because that team's offense is historically good, it will be in a great position to stop the score on almost every possession. Seriously, how many times did the 2007 offense leave the defense with a short field to defend? Once every other week?

Time of possession is controlled by the defense as much as the offense.

I wouldn't say 'as much'. They both control it, and who controls it more depends on the team and the style. For some teams, the offense is predominant, and for others the defense is. When the Ravens dominate TOP, it's because nobody can get a first down on them. But for the 2007 Patriots, the best-of-all-time offense was pretty clearly the reason. Nobody could ever get a three-and-out on them, so naturally they held onto the ball, which kept the defense fresh and off the field. Which, naturally, meant the defense wasn't allowing points, since it's awfully hard to allow scores from the sidelines.

The top 10 defenses in 2008, by 3rd down conversion percentage, were:

1. Pittsburgh 31.4
2. Philadelphia 32.2
t-3. Baltimore 33.5
t-3. Minnesota 33.5
5. Chicago 34.9
6. Tennessee 35.0
7. Washington 35.6
8. Dallas 35.7
9. Buffalo 36.1
10. Miami 37.8

Last edited:

Yeah you're right. Victory/defeat in football is not determined by who scores more points but by who gets more third down conversions. What was I thinking. Perhaps that's why we went 0-16 because there were so many 3rd down conversions.

Maybe having the sixth best record doesn't have anything to do with being top ten in points allowed having a top record is indicative of lousy defense.

Thanks for the insight.

Yeah you're right. Victory/defeat in football is not determined by who scores more points but by who gets more third down conversions. What was I thinking. Perhaps that's why we went 0-16 because there were so many 3rd down conversions.

Maybe having the sixth best record doesn't have anything to do with being top ten in points allowed having a top record is indicative of lousy defense.

Thanks for the insight.

Thanks for outing yourself. Makes it much easier to know who belongs on the ignore list. Luckily for all of us, as Pats fans, Belichick (like everyone else who has even the faintest clue how to manage a defense) understands that third down stops are THE decisive factor in defensive performance. If you'd rather be ignorant, though, then go ahead. Not my problem either way.

Last edited:
On paper I would take this defense over last year. We have definitely turned to the future.

The cliche "This team is young" comes to mind. Let them play a few games for real.

After the preseason I have a feeling they will surprise to the upside from here on out. :)

Thanks for outing yourself. Makes it much easier to know who belongs on the ignore list. There's just no point in even trying to debate w/ these types of people.

When you come to the realization that football games are won by scoring points; take me off the ignore list.

Re: Are you confident in this defense? Absolutely. It more talented in every squad.

The DL has seen the return to health of Ty Warren. In addition, added a talented NT reserve and a quality penetrating DT in Ron Brace and Mo Pryor.

The Line-backing outside is better with the return to health of AD and the experience gained by Pierre Woods. Add the known pass rushing ability of TBC, and Derrick Burgess. Plus the return to health a of a prized, high drafted rookie in Crabel and its deeper than ever, that I remember. Unnoticed is the 5 pre-season sacks accumulated by Pierre, as well as the multiple First Pressures.

The Line-backing is better inside, too. The raw rookies who played are more experienced and beefed up over the off season. The reserves are better too. Lenon, Alexander, AD, and possibly Ninkovich are better than a lone Bruschi, whose glory days were long gone. The loss of Ty McKenzie hurts depth, but they already have Bruschi replacement for next year.

The Safeties are better. Last half of last season was Meriwether's break out season and now they have him for a full season. The Pats added Chung and McGowan and possibly Springs. Last season, their best third S was Tank who was lost to IR. This year he was healthy, yet he was cut.

The CBs are better. How could they be worse than last season? Bodden Springs, Willhite, Butler and Wheately simply have to be better than last season's CB squad. And it would take a lot for the rookie Butler to play bypassing all those in front of him. Yet the only age is Springs and Butler has been drafted to replace him, and like Ty Mc, is on the roster already.

And yet they were Top Tenth /Top Eighth, last season. How can they possibly NOT improve?

C'mon Andy, I know you're smarter than that. Some variation of this type of argument always gets tossed out there like it's some trump card, whether it's RayClay talking about how SBs won somehow determines how good your running game is, people crowning BJGE because he managed to get 5 TDs last year, or people talking about how wins somehow determines who the best quarterback is. The fault of these types of arguments is always a clear underestimation of the number of factors that are at play.

If you want to meaningfully analyze a unit, you have to remove all of the noise (the elements that are beyond that unit's control) and drill down to the core issues. You can't do that using points-against, which has as much to do with TOP and field position as anything, and which both have as much to do with the offense as the defense (you admit as much yourself later in your post).

Situation 1: Offense scores a touchdown. Kickoff goes for a touchback. Defense has 80 yards of field to work with, gives up 40 yards, forces a punt.

Situation 2: Offense throws an interception, returned to the 30 yard line, but the defense manages a three-and-out and holds them to a FG.

Personally, I'd argue that defense #2 did a better job, although they both got the job done. Defense #2 will be penalized in the scoring rankings, however, for something that was the offense's fault. Similarly, if that's a common thing for defense #1, because that team's offense is historically good, it will be in a great position to stop the score on almost every possession. Seriously, how many times did the 2007 offense leave the defense with a short field to defend? Once every other week?

I wouldn't say 'as much'. They both control it, and who controls it more depends on the team and the style. For some teams, the offense is predominant, and for others the defense is. When the Ravens dominate TOP, it's because nobody can get a first down on them. But for the 2007 Patriots, the best-of-all-time offense was pretty clearly the reason. Nobody could ever get a three-and-out on them, so naturally they held onto the ball, which kept the defense fresh and off the field. Which, naturally, meant the defense wasn't allowing points, since it's awfully hard to allow scores from the sidelines.

The top 10 defenses in 2008, by 3rd down conversion percentage, were:

1. Pittsburgh 31.4
2. Philadelphia 32.2
t-3. Baltimore 33.5
t-3. Minnesota 33.5
5. Chicago 34.9
6. Tennessee 35.0
7. Washington 35.6
8. Dallas 35.7
9. Buffalo 36.1
10. Miami 37.8

I think you are comparing apples and oranges (in the top half of your post).
To disect the stats of 2 individual players who have similar overall numbers, accounting for what is 'inside the stats' is very valuable. But when you are judging the success of a unit and the goal is clearly definable, that definable goal is the yardstick.
All 32 defenses went out on the field to stop other offenses from scoring. How they go about it is an interesting statistic study. But those statistics are only components of the result and success toward the goal.
There are dozens of factors that can make any individual defensive stat a larger or smaller impact on the end result of a defense. You use 3rd down, but thats a very incomplete yardstick. If I am getting torched on 1st and 2nd and allowing a ton of points, but when I do get to a 3rd I stop them pretty well, I am still getting torched. What percentage of 1st downs occur on 3rd down? Not as high as you imply.
If my defensive philosphy is all out aggressive, in obvious passing downs I may allow fewer firsts, but I will allow a ton of big plays. How is that factored in your stats?
Without a doubt 3rd down conversions are an important defensive stat. They CORRELATE well to success. That doesn't mean they are a better measure of success than the actual success.

The stats you use when discussing RBs revolve around what? Success. Because there isnt a success stat. With a defensive unit there is a finite success stat.

To say judging a defense by its contribution to winning the game, ie how many points it scored compares to saying # of SBs is the judgment of your running is assinine and insulting.

As far as time of possession, there are 2 components. 1 is keeping the ball, the other is getting it back. Only in an argument with a preconcevied conclusion can you say the time your defense allows the opponent to possess the ball is less of a factor in time of possession that the time you possess it yourself. It is by definition, the cumulative result of both, added eqaully.

Thanks for outing yourself. Makes it much easier to know who belongs on the ignore list. Luckily for all of us, as Pats fans, Belichick (like everyone else who has even the faintest clue how to manage a defense) understands that third down stops are THE decisive factor in defensive performance. If you'd rather be ignorant, though, then go ahead. Not my problem either way.

No Pat in Pitt is correct. BB doesn't mind giving up First downs and Yards. When are you guys going to learn? Other wise he wouldn't emphasize "sound, fundamental, football", of keeping the play in front of you; and "Bend But Don't Break". He would be recklessly blitzing to force "3 and out",and unfortunately also "3 and TD", too.

Bill is enough of a Coach and student of Football history to recognize his way wins, the vast majority of the time.

For anyone who's curious, the Pats' defense started at, on average, the 27.92 yard line in 2008. That was sixth best in the league- they were playing with the sixth longest field, so simply by not sucking they would tend to finish pretty high up in the points-allowed rankings.

However, they allowed TDs on 21% of drives, which was 18th in the NFL. They forced turnovers on 13% of drives, which was 17th. The team units ranked the following, against the rest of the league, in DVOA:

Offense: #8
Special Teams: #6
Defense: #21

To break down defense some more, they were 9th against the rush and 26th against the pass. Broken down even further- 21st against #1 receivers, 28th against #2 receivers (no surprise to anyone who actually watched Deltha O'Neal in action...), 18th against other WRs, and 12th against TEs.

In short: last year, the Pats sucked against the pass. How did this most clearly manifest itself? In 3rd down percentage.

Let's look at the Pats' 3rd down ranking by year, and see if I can establish some correlation here: (year, 3rd down %, third down ranking, points allowed, points allowed ranking)

2008: 26th
2007: 3rd
2006: 8th
2005: 29th
2004: 21st
2003: 6th
2002: 26th
2001: 15th

2004: Because of injuries, we were starting an UDFA rookie corner, with Troy Brown playing nickel. Because of that, we got murdered in all passing stats for a long stretch, but managed to make it respectable by the end of the season, for the playoffs. Still relied a lot on power running game to keep the weakness from being exposed too badly

The Patriots have an interesting tendency, in that they fluctuate wildly on 3rd down completion percentage from year to year. IMO, the reason why is because, once a problem is identified, Belichick doesn't **** around- he diagnoses it and he fixes it *quickly*. In 2008, our third down defense was 2005-level bad. So Belichick went out and improved our corners (Springs, Bodden) and pass rush (Burgess, TBC). This year, I fully expect that we'll be top-10 in 3rd down % again.

No Pat in Pitt is correct. BB doesn't mind giving up First downs and Yards. When are you guys going to learn? Other wise he wouldn't emphasize "sound, fundamental, football", of keeping the play in front of you; and "Bend But Don't Break". He would be recklessly blitzing to force "3 and out",and unfortunately also "3 and TD", too.

Bill is enough of a Coach and student of Football history to recognize his way wins, the vast majority of the time.

recklessly blitzing doesn't force 3 and outs. It leaves receivers open, who any QB will hit for first downs. Keeping the play in front of you is all about limiting a team's opposrtunities to get into high-conversion situations, such as 2nd and short or 3rd and one. Teams that consistently. Belichick cites third down percentage very frequently (for him). It's clearly a very important stat, as far as he's concerned.

For anyone who's curious, the Pats' defense started at, on average, the 27.92 yard line in 2008. That was sixth best in the league- they were playing with the sixth longest field, so simply by not sucking they would tend to finish pretty high up in the points-allowed rankings.

However, they allowed TDs on 21% of drives, which was 18th in the NFL. They forced turnovers on 13% of drives, which was 17th. The team units ranked the following, against the rest of the league, in DVOA:

Offense: #8
Special Teams: #6
Defense: #21

To break down defense some more, they were 9th against the rush and 26th against the pass. Broken down even further- 21st against #1 receivers, 28th against #2 receivers (no surprise to anyone who actually watched Deltha O'Neal in action...), 18th against other WRs, and 12th against TEs.

In short: last year, the Pats sucked against the pass. How did this most clearly manifest itself? In 3rd down percentage.

Let's look at the Pats' 3rd down ranking by year, and see if I can establish some correlation here: (year, 3rd down %, third down ranking, points allowed, points allowed ranking)

2004: Because of injuries, we were starting an UDFA rookie corner, with Troy Brown playing nickel. Because of that, we got murdered in all passing stats for a long stretch, but managed to make it respectable by the end of the season, for the playoffs. Still relied a lot on power running game to keep the weakness from being exposed too badly

The Patriots have an interesting tendency, in that they fluctuate wildly on 3rd down completion percentage from year to year. IMO, the reason why is because, once a problem is identified, Belichick doesn't **** around- he diagnoses it and he fixes it *quickly*. In 2008, our third down defense was 2005-level bad. So Belichick went out and improved our corners (Springs, Bodden) and pass rush (Burgess, TBC). This year, I fully expect that we'll be top-10 in 3rd down % again.

You put a whole lot of emphasis on that field position stat, saying "they were playing with the sixth longest field, so simply by not sucking they would tend to finish pretty high up in the points-allowed rankings. "
I have feeling that is a tremendous overstatement, so perhaps you could post what the average was, what the 8th best was and what, say the 25th or so is.
Your point would hold if there is a wide difference. But if you are belittling their #8 points ranking by coming up with this stat, and the difference is a couple of yards, I think you've grossly exagerated your point.

The important stat IMO for this D are the 3rd down & (more importantly) the Red Zone efficency. A ben don't break D should be pretty efficent on 3rd down and need to be very good at holding teams to FGs and not allowing TD.

Last year we were poor at both.

I think the D will be much better this eyar.

You didnt finish the chart. You posted you would list year, 3rd %, ranking, points, ranking) you only listed 3rd down %.

I also didnt understand your 2004 comments.
If 3rd down conversions are the stat that defines a defense, why does who is injured matter, and how do you 'hide it' by running? Clearly it wasnt hidden, it was a poor ranking and we were SB Champs.

Should we also take into account the cupcake schedule the Pats had last season? If we don't play the Cardinals in a blizzard, chances are we are nowhere near a top 10 defense and that game turns into a shootout instead of a crushing defeat.

I think you are comparing apples and oranges (in the top half of your post).
To disect the stats of 2 individual players who have similar overall numbers, accounting for what is 'inside the stats' is very valuable. But when you are judging the success of a unit and the goal is clearly definable, that definable goal is the yardstick.

There is an equally definable goal with individual players. A RB's goal is to get as many yards per carry as possible.

There are dozens of factors that can make any individual defensive stat a larger or smaller impact on the end result of a defense. You use 3rd down, but thats a very incomplete yardstick. If I am getting torched on 1st and 2nd and allowing a ton of points, but when I do get to a 3rd I stop them pretty well, I am still getting torched. What percentage of 1st downs occur on 3rd down? Not as high as you imply.

You're missing the point, but rather than explain it myself I'll outsource to Mike Vrabel (quote from Christopher Price):

According to linebacker Mike Vrabel, the recent string of third down success is not the result of a new defensive wrinkle, but can be directly attributed to what New England has been doing when it comes to first and second down. "Third-and-eight, third-and-nine, third-and-10, whatever it is, it's a lot easier to defend and get off the field than third-and-two or third-and-three," Vrabel said. "I think if we do a better job on first and second down, then third down is going to start looking a lot better. And in turn, they won't get as many opportunities. They're not going to get 70 to 75 plays a game, and things are going to start to look better."

Third down percentage is absolutely not strictly a measure of third down performance. It's equally a measure of first and second down performance.

If my defensive philosphy is all out aggressive, in obvious passing downs I may allow fewer firsts, but I will allow a ton of big plays. How is that factored in your stats?

Against a decent QB, you'll allow more first, since there will always be open receivers. So your third down percentage will tend to be worse.

They CORRELATE well to success. That doesn't mean they are a better measure of success than the actual success.

It's correlation through causation.

The stats you use when discussing RBs revolve around what? Success. Because there isnt a success stat. With a defensive unit there is a finite success stat.

Yes, but it's more than a little disingenuous to measure entirely by the endpoint when the starting point is never the same, isn't it? When the teams that start with the best field position have to cover, on average, 10% less field than the teams that start with the worst field position, they's going to skew the hell out of every volume stat out there. If you don't have a problem with that, then I can't very well convince you to, but I will say that that's one of the most elementary statistical stats that you can possibly make. You learn not to do that in 101-level undergrad stats courses.

To say judging a defense by its contribution to winning the game, ie how many points it scored compares to saying # of SBs is the judgment of your running is assinine and insulting.

It's a more extreme manifestation of that type of thinking, yes, but it's a product of the same analytical pitfalls.

As far as time of possession, there are 2 components. 1 is keeping the ball, the other is getting it back. Only in an argument with a preconcevied conclusion can you say the time your defense allows the opponent to possess the ball is less of a factor in time of possession that the time you possess it yourself. It is by definition, the cumulative result of both, added eqaully.

Since baseball analogies work really well here, apparently, let's go with OBP. How do you determine OBP? Hits plus walks. Does that mean that hits and walks contribute equally to OBP? Of course not. In much the same way that 7 and 3 don't 'contribute equally' to 10.

As I said: For some teams, the defense contributes more to TOP, because it consistently forces 3 and outs and turnovers. For some teams, the offense does, because it almost never allows 3 and outs and doesn't commit turnovers.

The offense, IMO, was severely underrated in this respect. On a per-drive basis, the Broncos were the only team that punted less frequently than the Pats. That's why the Patriots' defense had only 920 plays from scrimmage, which was #1 in the NFL. Yet you're trying to compare them, without adjustment, to teams that had almost 1100 plays from scrimmage. That's ridiculous, and whatever flaws there are in the 3rd down % statistic (and there certainly are some-every statistic has flaws) pale in comparison to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe