PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are you confident in this coaching staff's ability to make halftime adjustments?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Are you confident in this coaching staff's ability to make halftime adjustments?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Halftime adjustments are overrated. There is nothing strategically magic about halftime, which lasts all of 12 minutes. Adjustments are made throughout a game. Just watch BB working with the defense on the sidelines when the offense has the ball.

No, and anybody voting yes is delusional.

They couldn't do it last year and so far 2 games in they can't do it this year.

I voted yes, and that does not make me delusional. I have confidence that this team can turn things around. It's just one loss, and people are acting like the end is near. Get a grip. There is still more football to play, and hopefully they will improve on both sides of the ball through out the remainder of the season. The better team won yesterday. It's that simple.

I voted yes, and that does not make me delusional. I have confidence that this team can turn things around. It's just one loss, and people are acting like the end is near. Get a grip. There is still more football to play, and hopefully they will improve on both sides of the ball through out the remainder of the season. The better team won yesterday. It's that simple.

No one said they can't improve.

However, anyone who cannot see a definite pattern over this organization's last 18 regular season games is not paying attention. This pattern has been occurring even in victories.

Of course, they can improve. The only way to do so is to correct the weak spot. That is, consistently being strategically outfoxed after halftime. One cannot say "Oh, well they are an old team and the guys are just wearing down" anymore. For obvious reasons, that doesn't fly in 2010. This team consistently looks like worldbeaters in the first half and looks LOST in the second half. Not just beaten, but CONFUSED each game in the last 30 minutes.

It's time for BB to adjust direction.

Last edited:
Halftime adjustments are overrated. There is nothing strategically magic about halftime, which lasts all of 12 minutes. Adjustments are made throughout a game. Just watch BB working with the defense on the sidelines when the offense has the ball.
I thought it obvious but apparently not. The poll question isn't limited just to the 12 minutes of halftime but rather what transpires after halftime adjustments made by the opposition.

its stunning that people have said yes to this question. Blind faith or facts.
Patriots lost 6 games last year. 5 they were ahead at halftime. Its sad...because you can see thngs unhinge each game.

its stunning that people have said yes to this question. Blind faith or facts.
Patriots lost 6 games last year. 5 they were ahead at halftime. Its sad...because you can see thngs unhinge each game.

Like a previous poster said, they do terrible in the second half, even in he victories.

Certainly you jest. I guess that the majority of the Pats opponents in the past 18-19 games agree with that so they arent making any half time adjustments. I was, apparently, misinformed. Thanks for straightening that out.

If you think that all second-half strategizing/adjusting occurs in that "crucial" 12-minute skull session between the second and third quarters, you've got a bit more to learn, my friend. Pro football is a continuum of adjusting on the fly.

I am not going to judge BB on the basis of one loss. Overall the coach has shown that he is outstanding at making half time adjustment.

I seriously wonder how anyone who has been a Patriots fan for more than a few weeks could vote anything but yes. Or why this is even a poll.

One delicious aspect of having been around long enough ~ and, no, it doesn't take long! ~ to know most of who's worth reading, and most of who isn't...is that I can just sail through a 99 post Thread, like this, and jump all the way to post #14, for instance, without having to wade through the murk and debris!! :D

after sun no
but there always change for everything

I voted yes. I'm not going to suddenly believe that one of the greatest coaches in the history of the sport has lost it just because last season didn't go the way we wanted it to.

We have some new coordinators, and we all know that BB's management style is to delegate authority. I'm willing to bet that if O'Brien continues to fail to make adjustments at halftime, Belichick will start making them himself. You only get so much time to prove yourself.

As for the defense, adjustments can only help so much. Their biggest problem right now is inexperience.

The coaching staff is completely different from the superbowl years. The guys calling the plays now. They haven't looked very effective lately have they?

A very interesting point, sir.

The coaching staff is completely different from the superbowl years. The guys calling the plays now. They haven't looked very effective lately have they?

Excellent point.

If you think that all second-half strategizing/adjusting occurs in that "crucial" 12-minute skull session between the second and third quarters, you've got a bit more to learn, my friend.

Pro football is a continuum of adjusting on the fly.

Beautifull. :cool:

I honestly was...
but yesterdays 2nd half was so putrid, that all my faith in the needed adjustments is gone.
Doesn't mean though that the confidence in it can't come back with a big 2nd half against a good team (no, the Bills do NOT count...)

Off the Grid said:
One delicious aspect of having been around long enough ~ and, no, it doesn't take long! ~ to know most of who's worth reading, and most of who isn't...is that I can just sail through a 99 post Thread, like this, and jump all the way to post #14, for instance, without having to wade through the murk and debris!! :D

So, let me see if I have this right. Because someone has been around here longer, and those someones might be people you know, either in person, or through this forum, that those are the only posts you will bother to read.

That none of the ex number of thousands of other posters dont count, that because their opinion is different than yours, you wont bother to read them. Is that pretty much the drift of what you are saying?

IMO, it has a ring of arrogance to it, and a "I know all" attitude.

* Feel free to show where I stated that I base my decision on tenure.

* Feel free to show where I stated that I base my decision on familiarity.

* Feel free to show where I stated that I base my decision on accordance with my views.

Feel free, in short, to show where there is even the faintest relationship between what I wrote...and your raging, frothing, snot-bubbling tantrum.

PS: I just joined, this Spring. Do you really imagine that I'm going to throw somebody under the bus because they're a Rookie?? :rofl:

BleedBlue, despite your unprovoked and vitriolic attack on me, just now, you seem like a good man, and I absolutely admire your passion...

But this is a Meritocracy, my friend: Being here for 10 years doesn't make you smart or readable, any more than posting 300 times a day does:

I come here for Insight and Enlightenment, from the likes of MoLewis, AndyJohnson, RayClay, GreyHoodie, TuneScribe, VJC, and dozens of others. And I do so entirely for my own benefit.

If i don't read your posts, it's nothing personal against you, and I'm only one vote, after all. But you should keep in mind that you, and you alone, control whether I and 1000's of others merely glance at your posts when we're in the mood for amusement at your expense, or actually seek out your posts for Enlightenment and Insight.

* We lost today mostly due to a young secondary ...

* Which is not unexpected and it is not new.

* The team is adjusting to some changes on both sides of the ball.

* As always we'll know what we have by weeks 6-8.

We have a WINNER!! :D

* Systems take years to master.

* And TurnOver is constant.

* As such, the smartest Coaches lay out 16 ~ 20 week plans, each year, to Take It Through The Gears.

We have a very young team, and I expect that their aggregate ability to adjust effectively within the course of a game will improve dramatically by the end of the year.

Mind you: I'm not dismissing the concerns about adjusting over the course of the game.

The one thing that concerns me, above all, is the historical precedence of successfull Systems becoming so familiar to the rest of the League...that what was once a Revolutionary Concept ~ a Disruptive Advantage ~ eventually gets washed away.

Perhaps it is that, as much as the aging of the Veteran Core...that has brought about the SunSet of previous Dynasties.

We have a WINNER!! :D

* Systems take years to master.

* And TurnOver is constant.

* As such, the smartest Coaches lay out 16 ~ 20 week plans, each year, to Take It Through The Gears.

We have a very young team, and I expect that their aggregate ability to adjust effectively within the course of a game will improve dramatically by the end of the year.

Mind you: I'm not dismissing the concerns about adjusting over the course of the game.

The one thing that concerns me, above all, is the historical precedence of successfull Systems becoming so familiar to the rest of the League...that what was once a Revolutionary Concept ~ a Disruptive Advantage ~ eventually gets washed away.

Perhaps it is that, as much as the aging of the Veteran Core...that has brought about the SunSet of previous Dynasties.

The only problem I see is we lost to the Jets. We will be tarred and feathered for the next week by all the mediots out there until about Friday when they run out of material.

While I agree we need a better plan for the second half, we are building a team with young players.

Just took a look back at this poll. 16% vs 84% is as dramatic of a split as you'd find on any subject.

Whether or not I am "confident" is irrelevant. The data from last season and, so far, this season say that there is only one rational answer to the question: "No."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST