PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are The Houston Texans Really That Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Is Houston Really That Good?

Well the Patriots are going to need to beat Houston to earn either the 1 or 2 seed. The best case scenario is for Pittsburgh to win the AFC north, and that will probably eliminate the tie breaker with the Ravens. Even though the Pats are struggling somewhat, they have no where to go but up. How many times do we see the best team in Sept. be the best in February ?

I am not sold on that. Both Houston and the Ravens have tougher schedules coming up (especially the Ravens). One or both could be 12-4 or worse by the end of the season. Of course if both are at least 12-4, the Pats could only lose to Houston in that scenario to get the first round bye.

But I think the first round bye may be overrated. Since the Pats last won in 2005, only the Saints and Steelers (second win) have won the Super Bowl with a first round bye. The Giants (twice), Steelers (first time), Colts, and Packers all played Wild Card weekend on the way to their Super Bowl wins.

Texans Schedule :

WK OPPONENT

5 @ New York Jets
6 vs Green Bay
7 vs Baltimore
8 BYE WEEK
9 vs Buffalo
10 @ Chicago
11 vs Jacksonville
12 @ Detroit
13 @ Tennessee
14 @ NEW ENGLAND
15 vs Indianapolis
16 vs Minnesota
17 @ Indianapolis

GB, Balt, Chi, Det, Pats & Vikes......No Cake Walks
Others look like gimmies.

Last edited:
Yes, they are for real. Last year they went into Baltimore in the 2nd round and should have beaten them with their 3rd string QB if not for a couple muffed punts. That same Bmore team came inches from beating us for the AFC, on our field.

Now they have Shaub back. They have an elite HB and a great D, that makes them built for January football. They do face Bmore in a few weeks so I guess they have a chance to prove it there, but I think they are the main competition. I wouldn't dismiss them because of their schedule.

The general consensus heading into the season was that the best teams in the AFC were the Patriots, Ravens and Texans (not necessarily in that order). Many also included the Broncos in that first tier; a few threw in the Bills, Chiefs or Bengals.

At the 1/4 pole of the regular season race I don't see anything that has changed to drop the Texans from that top group. Thus far it has been just the opposite, regardless of level of competition; they have affirmed that they deserve to be considered one of the best (if not the best) team in the AFC.

As for the 'level of competition' reasoning, didn't the Patriots prove just last year that that logic means nothing?

The general consensus heading into the season was that the best teams in the AFC were the Patriots, Ravens and Texans (not necessarily in that order). Many also included the Broncos in that first tier; a few threw in the Bills, Chiefs or Bengals.

At the 1/4 pole of the regular season race I don't see anything that has changed to drop the Texans from that top group. Thus far it has been just the opposite, regardless of level of competition; they have affirmed that they deserve to be considered one of the best (if not the best) team in the AFC.

As for the 'level of competition' reasoning, didn't the Patriots prove just last year that that logic means nothing?

IDK lets see what they do down this stretch.. I foresee some injuries from their injury prone stars... Shaub, Foster, Johnson.

Does anyone know why the Texans are running Arian Foster into the ground? He has 103 carries so far, putting him on pace for 412, which would be 2nd most all time. I find this incredibly stupid considering they have Ben Tate, something to monitor with them moving forward.

Oh yeah? AFC powerhouse vs hated AFC powerhouse. Who do you pick?

Its almost a win-win...If the ravens win, the Pats are closer to the number seed. If the Texans win, the Pats are a game closer to the number 1 seed.

Does anyone know why the Texans are running Arian Foster into the ground? He has 103 carries so far, putting him on pace for 412, which would be 2nd most all time. I find this incredibly stupid considering they have Ben Tate, something to monitor with them moving forward.

I agree that''s a poor strategic move, especially when most of their games haven't been close (maybe even the Denver game wasn't as close as the score suggests).

when the weakness of an offense is a qb like schaub, who is a good qb, then yes they are good

and that defense is awesome.....

They look good, but they haven't played anyone yet. They have some loseable games in there. Buffalo might even give them a fight if they recover from their reality check (they normally don't).

But yeah, the defense is epic, and a decent quarterback with a great running game is trouble. The good news is that our defense's strength is our run defense, and I don't see Schaub going into the gun and spreading us out for 60 minutes.

Semi OT: My God is Houston going to maul NYJ. That awful offense against Houston's defense:eek:

The Texans are the best team in the NFL right now, so yes, they are that good.

especially when hes not running as efficiently as the last couple years (yeah, its only week 4). just seems like theyre forcing the issue a bit when they dont have to.

especially when hes not running as efficiently as the last couple years (yeah, its only week 4). just seems like theyre forcing the issue a bit when they dont have to.

Hey! Lay off Arian Foster. He's on my fantasy team. :p

I would not like to face them right now. Looks like they are in peak form, while we are figuring out who we are.

They have become very reminiscent of the Patriots when they began their current period of dominance (for lack of a better word) Yes, they are a very good team and will even get better.

The one question I have is, should they lose Schaub as the Pats lost Brady,are they capable of going 11-5 without him?

Last edited:
Its almost a win-win...If the ravens win, the Pats are closer to the number seed. If the Texans win, the Pats are a game closer to the number 1 seed.

:eek: There are glass-half-full types on this board?

They have become very reminiscent of the Patriots when they began their current period of dominance (for lack of a better word) Yes, they are a very good team and will even get better.

The one question I have is, should they lose Schaub as the Pats lost Brady,are they capable of going 11-5 without him?

They got to the playoffs with an unproven rookie in Yates

No reason they couldn't improve off that with a team even more experience

This Texans team looks as complete of a team since the 2004 Patriots who were dominant on both sides of the ball with the exception of the Miami debacle.

Last edited:
The major difference between the Houston Texans and the New England Patriots is the defensive secondary.

The major difference between the Houston Texans and the New England Patriots is the defensive secondary.

And offensive line......despite last weeks stellar performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back