PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are The Houston Texans Really That Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the tense of your sentence is wrong. :)
Shawne Merriman looked like being something special before he was outed. I like to see prolonged form before anointing absolute greatness.

Last edited:
Sorry but stats don't give context, and the W/L record is a stat. It's very possible that a 2-2 team can be significantly better than a 4-0 team.

Are you suggesting there is a 2-2 team that is better than Houston, or just theorizing logical possibilities?

Their legit.
Mediots wanted them last year representing AFC in SB, some picked them to win it and still are. They said Pats would have lost if Schaub was healthy but we held our own, made plays vs Ravens, got a shank and a Welker catch away from a SB victory against a Better D in my opinion (Giants)

We shall see come Week 14 Dec Mon Nite Texans @ Pats hopefully as close to full strength with A Hern Back, Brady/Lloyd more in sync and our D only getting better. If we call it a wash, difference will be Brady over Schaub.

If Schaub wasn't lost for last season,the Pats are probably not in Last years SB,Even thier rookie QB got pretty darn far

The Pats might have not even been the top seed in 2011

Last edited:
A little hypocritical considering the AFC East is annually one of the worst divisions in football and is probably the worst division in football this year... :bricks:

While I will agree that the AFC East is not very good this year, I think perhaps you may be listening too intently to fans of other teams too much in regards to the bolded part above. Perhaps it's a case of an opinion being repeated so often that it eventually becomes accepted as fact.

For example I keep reading fans say how the NFCE is so much better than the AFCE; truth is the AFCE has a better one-year, two-year and three-year record than the NFCE.

2011: 33 wins by AFCE; only AFCN and NFCN had more
2010: 36 wins by AFCE; tied with NFCS for most in NFL
2009: 32 wins by AFCE; more than AFCW and NFCW; same as NFCN; one less than AFCN and NFCS
2008: 38 wins by the AFCE; only NFCS had more

Apologies for the thread hijack ...

Their legit.
Mediots wanted them last year representing AFC in SB, some picked them to win it and still are. They said Pats would have lost if Schaub was healthy but we held our own, made plays vs Ravens, got a shank and a Welker catch away from a SB victory against a Better D in my opinion (Giants)

We shall see come Week 14 Dec Mon Nite Texans @ Pats hopefully as close to full strength with A Hern Back, Brady/Lloyd more in sync and our D only getting better. If we call it a wash, difference will be Brady over Schaub.

Unless the Chargers somehow become very good...the Texans/Pats matchup will certainly decide the team who will get one of the top 2 seeds and the bye week.....I think the Ravens are destined for the 1 or 2 seed and the winner of this game will join them.

We are lucky that BAL is playing HOU... IMO...

As it stands right now, Houston beating Baltimore catches us up a a game with them. Then we have to beat Houston to get closer to them. Hard to say after 4 games though who we want to win.

Unless the Chargers somehow become very good...the Texans/Pats matchup will certainly decide the team who will get one of the top 2 seeds and the bye week.....I think the Ravens are destined for the 1 or 2 seed and the winner of this game will join them.

I see your point.
Ravens loss might come back to bite us. Off hand didn't look at their schedule but wonder who is out there that can hand'm losses. Steelers Play'm twice, Us @ Seahawks and Home vs 49ers standout.

If Schaub wasn't lost for last season,the Pats are probably not in Last years SB,Even thier rookie QB got pretty darn far

The Pats might have not even been the top seed in 2011

After last year, if anyone had any doubts they were not paying attention. So many injuries to key players and they kept on winning.

They won't be after the inevitable Matt Schaub injury(not hoping he gets hurt).

Are you suggesting there is a 2-2 team that is better than Houston, or just theorizing logical possibilities?

I'm saying that the statement "you are what your record says you are" is simply untrue.

As it stands right now, Houston beating Baltimore catches us up a a game with them. Then we have to beat Houston to get closer to them. Hard to say after 4 games though who we want to win.

Agreed I never root for anyone 'caus it comes back to be careful what you ask for so with that said Ravens beat us head2head so in a tie breaker I'm not sure if that's first they use to determine a seed. We have to go out and take care of business and beating Houston is a MUST.

I'm still among the few who thinks the Texans are no more than hype. The media is tired of seeing the same old teams representing the AFC in the SB, so they hype up the little team that APPEARS to be complete. I can't be impressed with an average team who is beating up on a bunch of scrub teams. Last year, Shaub played against the Saints, and Brees absolutely embarrassed that so-called all-around D. That was the only good team they faced last year, when they faced average QBs, they allowed em' nearly 30 points a game. I'm not sure when Shaub went out, but earlier on in the season he wasn't really racking up many points, except for when he was facing lousy defenses.
So why would I be impressed with this team?

Patriots are 2-2, should be 3-1 (the refs clearly gave the Ravens that game) and they look like the best team right now with a questionable secondary. As much as I hate to say it, the Giants looks like the second best team in the league, despite the winning record. Bad coaching last night cost them that Philly game.

After last year, if anyone had any doubts they were not paying attention. So many injuries to key players and they kept on winning.

But the Pats never lost the most important player .....the QB and general of the offense

Everyone knew last year that a rookie QB and 3rd depth QB starting suddenly in mid season was not going to take Houston to the SB......even Leinart had no chance

Nevertheless,T.J. Yates was very impressive considering the hand he was dealt

Last edited:
As much as I hate to say it, the Giants looks like the second best team in the league, despite the winning record.

Wait, I'm confused - despite what?

Bad coaching last night cost them that Philly game.

Did this post take two days to come through?

Last edited:
Agreed I never root for anyone 'caus it comes back to be careful what you ask for so with that said Ravens beat us head2head so in a tie breaker I'm not sure if that's first they use to determine a seed. We have to go out and take care of business and beating Houston is a MUST.

There is simply no way in hell that the Pats can lose to both Baltimore and Houston and earn a bye week......they can be no better than #3 or #4 if they lose then......that game is already guaranteed to be destined for supreme importance even though it's many weeks away

Well the Patriots are going to need to beat Houston to earn either the 1 or 2 seed. The best case scenario is for Pittsburgh to win the AFC north, and that will probably eliminate the tie breaker with the Ravens. Even though the Pats are struggling somewhat, they have no where to go but up. How many times do we see the best team in Sept. be the best in February ?

Well the Patriots are going to need to beat Houston to earn either the 1 or 2 seed. The best case scenario is for Pittsburgh to win the AFC north, and that will probably eliminate the tie breaker with the Ravens. Even though the Pats are struggling somewhat, they have no where to go but up. How many times do we see the best team in Sept. be the best in February ?

I don't think Pittsburgh is even making the playoffs

The battle for Pennsylvania supremacy will be interesting this Sunday.

There is simply no way in hell that the Pats can lose to both Baltimore and Houston and earn a bye week......they can be no better than #3 or #4 if they lose then......that game is already guaranteed to be destined for supreme importance even though it's many weeks away

Exactly! That's why I posted Texans game is a MUST WIN and It's in Dec and it's not bein arrogant or ****y lookin ahead it's BIG picture lookin ahead.

I think Houston is very good, but a bit overrated. They have benefitted from an easy early schedule. Denver is probably the toughest team they have faced anf they are still wildly inconsistent.

We will see how they do when they face the NFC North, Baltimore, and the Pats to see how they truly are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft