PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are any of you upset at the fact?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have pointed out, we had multiple opportunities to draft Maualuga if we wanted to. It's quite clear that BB only takes linebackers high in the draft if he feels they are truly special (Mayo). There's so much responsibility for players at LB, and so much pressure on a first round pick to perform right away, that it isn't worth taking someone who may be no better than Guyton so high up.

I admit, I was baffled at the time. He didn't start the day as my binky, but as he fell.... I grew excited.

But, I feel that if BB didn't pick him, there was a reason.

Yesterday provided a whole bunch of WTF moments, but after reading and thinking.. it seems as though Jason Taylor is a lock.. and there is some other stuff going on..

The reality is that BB did not think that the transition from college football to the Pats system may have taken too long, and not worth the cost.

Am I upset that Bill Belichick drafted the players he thought would be best for the team instead of what some message board posters thought were quality prospects?

Nope, can't say that I am.

Good answer. BB and the organization know a lot more and have watched a lot more of these guys than every single one of us combined.

All i know is that the guy hits like a truck and was always around the ball to make tackles.:rolleyes:

All i know is that the guy hits like a truck and was always around the ball to make tackles.:rolleyes:

Exactly, but that was in college, and his measureables were good for college, but for the pro game? Not even nearly as much. Rey wont be a 3 down LB, he'll be a liability in the passing game, and dont count on him even making it to the sideline for plays. The guy is slow as a snail...moving on.

I was one of the biggest fans of rey Maualuga and i thought the Patriots would absolutely draft him, but i'm pretty sure Bill has got a better perspective on these things than i have ;)

So in the end i'm glad with the way our draft unfolded, cause i think we got the players we targeted and added 2 second rounders to next years draft. Amazing job by BB once again.

Last edited:

Which was apparently all he did. Apparently, not only was his wonderlic score low, but he played "dumb" out on the field. Once coaches sat down to really study the film, they found that he ran around the field like a chicken with his head cutoff hitting anyone who had the ball. He missed a ton of his assignments, and apparently being surrounded by excellent team mates covered this up until the film was broken down for the draft. Remember, it's not just the Pats, but everyone who passed on him in the first round. Rey would never be able to play in the Pats system, or in most other NFL systems.

I don't know, the Bengals have a history of taking high quality intelligent players.

BB knows his LBs. I was intrigued by Rey, too, but I'm not complaining about another tough guy strong safety.

Am I upset over BB not drafting Maualuga?

No. Not at all!

Next question?

Before I change my sig, the fact we could've had Maulaga at #34. :mad:

Remember, this means we have Guyton as a starter:eek:

Guy had no coverage skills; earlier in his run, Belichick may have taken a guy like that in a Ted Johnson role, but it seems like the pats have really moved away from that.

As for Guyton, I'm encouraged by that. Must mean that Belichick thinks he's ready to play a bigger role right away. Also means that we probably have one more year of Bruschi.

I could not care less.

You draft binkies have to quit following the Patriots and pick another team. Pick a team that drafts based on the mediots' ratings and you'll be happier.
:rofl:

After all these BB years, it AMAZES me that so-called Patriots fans are SURPRISED that BB does not follow the conventional wisdom (sic) of the mediots. Once more, Pats fans need to PAY ATTENTION to how BB operates..
:agree:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes