Status
Not open for further replies.

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Before I change my sig, the fact we could've had Maulaga at #34. :mad:

Remember, this means we have Guyton as a starter:eek:

I stated this in another thread, obviously BB was not that impressed by Mauluaga (sp), Lauranitis, Barwin, etc. He passed on them NUMEROUS times. I thought for sure that when he traded up to 40 he was gonna take Barwin. It seems like a lot of times when the Pats work people out, it's either a smokescreen, or when the workouts actually happen, they realize the interest isn't there. There is obviously something missing in these prospects that was there in Mayo last year. Also, let's no forget, the Pats weren't the only teams to pass on these guys. Now, if Lauranitis becomes the next Urlacher, Mauluaga (sp) becomes the next Seau, and Barwin becomes the next Vrabel, I will be really really upset. But right now, I'm ok with BB passing them up.

The Patriots could also have drafted Barwin, Sintim, EVerette Brown, etc., etc. And they could have drafted them at 23 or 26.

But they didn't.

Clearly, they didn't see enough value to warrant picking those players at those spots.

As for Guyton as a starter: he did take one-third of the snaps last year, and I'm guessing that wasn't out of desperation.

I do not think rey fits our system.Look at the mike LB we had for nearly 10 yrs. brushi he was a DE who was very smart and took alot of years to learn th esystem and become the play caller.

SO the future Mike as you mentioned not only a good LB but smart. Mayo is a flow type LB but in certain packages he will come out for the Mike.

As far as guyton goes he is the thrid down coverage guy who he wil always be .He cannot take on gaurds and get mauled he is long and lanky .He is not stocky can take on gaurds every down.

satz

I could not care less.

You draft binkies have to quit following the Patriots and pick another team. Pick a team that drafts based on the mediots' ratings and you'll be happier.

After all these BB years, it AMAZES me that so-called Patriots fans are SURPRISED that BB does not follow the conventional wisdom (sic) of the mediots. Once more, Pats fans need to PAY ATTENTION to how BB operates. Failure to pay attention resulted in 75% (poll taken here) of Patsfans casual observers being convinced that Cassel would be CUT. Those few who do pay attention were confident he'd be on the 53.

Last edited:
The knock on Maulaga was that he wasn't an everydown LB and there were questions as to whether he fit the Pats defensive scheme.

One never really knows about such things - but what's clear is that the Patriots and every other team didn't feel he was worthy of a 1st round pick.

I guess we'll never know... even if he does well in someone else's system would he have done well here? Bottom line is that BB didn't think he was the best pick for the Patriots at 23, 26 or 34

The knock on the OLBs this draft was they were either too small (Mathews) or projects (Barwin) and were not worth a high draft pick, so I'm not upset. BB may take some projects himself in the late rounds.

I stated this in another thread, obviously BB was not that impressed by Mauluaga (sp), Lauranitis, Barwin, etc. He passed on them NUMEROUS times. I thought for sure that when he traded up to 40 he was gonna take Barwin. It seems like a lot of times when the Pats work people out, it's either a smokescreen, or when the workouts actually happen, they realize the interest isn't there. There is obviously something missing in these prospects that was there in Mayo last year. Also, let's no forget, the Pats weren't the only teams to pass on these guys. Now, if Lauranitis becomes the next Urlacher, Mauluaga (sp) becomes the next Seau, and Barwin becomes the next Vrabel, I will be really really upset. But right now, I'm ok with BB passing them up.

See, I don't necessarily agree that he wasn't impressed by them. I think that its more that they just didn't fit the system in the case of Maualuga and Laurinitus and in the case of Barwin, that the value wasn't there.

I would like to see more talent for the future at LB by training camp. I'll admit to being clueless about their plan, so I hope it is revealed by then.

If it happens we've hit the lottery multiple times by picking up scraps after the draft or in very low rounds, so be it.

I love overachievers.

Am I upset that Bill Belichick drafted the players he thought would be best for the team instead of what some message board posters thought were quality prospects?

Nope, can't say that I am.

As for Guyton as a starter: he did take one-third of the snaps last year, and I'm guessing that wasn't out of desperation.

You're guessing. Who else was competing for those snaps?

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but until he beats someone out to get a start, he is the most favored of free agents who weren't injured at the time.

Remember, Tully Banta Cain had a lot of starts, then Alexander had a playoff start. As it turns out, there was an element of desperation there.

No it means once again, that Bill Belichick thinks Pete Caroll players are a joke, and will never ever draft them.. I would have been more surprised that Belichick would have drafted a usc player

Not upset to see them pass on Rey.

But... I don't think projects or feel-good stories are going to be starting OLBs in 09. I have to think
#1 BB has a plan in mind that doesn't involve the draft
#2 BB likes Woods/Crable/TBC/Redd (one or more of these guys) enough to start TC as is

We'll see if Taylor arrives in the summer. Even better : let'S trade Peppers for a 2011 1st rounder (isn't that the year there'll be no draft ?).

Like others have said coach wasn't impressed as he passed over him multiple times. Listening to felger yesterday he said his sources within the pats orginization said they are very high on the young LB's already on their roster (Redd, Crable, Guyton etc)

Guyton is my binky, so I am happy about it :)

I'm surprised one of the OLB prospects didn't appeal to BB when picking, upset? No. The four prospects selected were kids I thought well of, but with the exception of Chung, I'm more surprised at how little "need" weighed in the Best Value equation.

No. I don't "get upset" at the draft. What's a "Maulaga" to me? Just a name that the Mel Kipers of the world spouted BS about. I came to the conclusion, a long time ago, that talking heads in the media are not only idiots, but not always even making a good faith effort to be honest (see cameragate, et al). So why should I pay the slightest attention to them.

I also learned a long time ago that, "fellas, let's not go puttin' him in Canton, just yet, OK?" We don't know how any of these players will turn out. (See Jackson, Chad & Johnson, Bethel). There's no point in getting married to any of these guys from a YouTube highlights reel. They are just JAGs for now.

And, finally, I have learned -- slowly and over time -- that, yes, Bill Belichick knows more about football and grading football players and evaluating his team than I do.

So, no. I'm not "upset" about the draft. Looks like to me we added competition in the secondary and depth/contract leverage down the road in the trenchs. What's upsetting about that?

Last edited:
I'm not upset at all; just the thought that he was passed over by the Pats tells me that he wouldn't have fit in their system. They drafted Butler and Chung both high character/high intelligence guys-a paradigm that Maulaluga doesn't fit in either category. It'll be interesting to see how he fits with the Bengals and their all-arrest team.

I wonder if Maualuga has the smarts and discipline for the Pats' system. Signs points to no. One of the knocks on him was that he has trouble playing within a scheme at times and his Wonderlic score was not good (probably the reason why he dropped so far). The Pats value intelligent players who know their roles and fall within a scheme.

I agree. Maualuga's low Wonderlic, in contradistinction with Mayo's very high score, made him a less-than-perfect fit for NE. Having said that, I really liked the idea of simplifying the defense for him: stop the run and kill the QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes