PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Appreciate How Lucky We Are as Pats fans- the View from Outside NE

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you belive that you haven't been a fan long enough. The Pats were arguably the worst franchise in all major professional sports.

they were never the Patsies

and I've been a fan plenty long enough

The Pats weren't that bad. They gradually improved on their playoff appearances and winning seasons each decade until the last two dynastic decades. In playoffs made starting in 1960 it looks like this; 1-2-3-4-7-7

They never won an NFL playoff (not one) game until January 12, 1986.

I was too young for the 70s but remember 81 and 82 as much as an elementary school kid can but from 83-88 they were a competitive team year in/out. At least their was hope every year.

89-93 was just awful. Depressing, hopeless...a football abyss.

I think because I went through that as a fan, I've appreciated everything from the last 16 years. Even in 2000 there was hope for the future and we were all rewarded.
76-88 the had one losing season, 3 11 win seasons a 10 win season, a few 9 win seasons including when there was only 14 games when 9-5 was pretty good.. One 8-7 year (one game strike I think)

76-80 They were generally considered a powerhouse that kept under delivering..

If you belive that you haven't been a fan long enough. The Pats were arguably the worst franchise in all major professional sports.
that is totally false. not even close.

that is totally false. not even close.
In the early 70's they didn't have a home, going from Fenway, to Nickerson Field to other locals, had an underfinanced ownership and a product on the field that was substandard to say the least... They were definitely among the lower end of the bell curve for franchises and it is tough to think of too many lesser ones of the time... If as wrote, you started following the team in 1976, you don't go back far enough to remember the pre-Foxboro stadium days..
The first game they played there ( August 15, 1971) got preempted on TV locally when President Nixon chose that moment to announce wage and price controls and when everyone flushed the toilets at the first break in the new stadium, they overflowed..... a fitting visual for the franchise then.....

They never won an NFL playoff (not one) game until January 12, 1986.

I never said that they were good, only that they were improving with each decade.

Hmmm, too fibonacci-ish.

The Pats made the playoffs once in the 60's, twice in the 70's, 3 times in the 80's, 4 times in the 90's and 7 times each in the 00's and 10's

In the early 70's they didn't have a home, going from Fenway, to Nickerson Field to other locals, had an underfinanced ownership and a product on the field that was substandard to say the least... They were definitely among the lower end of the bell curve for franchises and it is tough to think of too many lesser ones of the time... If as wrote, you started following the team in 1976, you don't go back far enough to remember the pre-Foxboro stadium days..
The first game they played there ( August 15, 1971) got preempted on TV locally when President Nixon chose that moment to announce wage and price controls and when everyone flushed the toilets at the first break in the new stadium, they overflowed..... a fitting visual for the franchise then.....
>> If as wrote, you started following the team in 1976, you don't go back far enough to remember the pre-Foxboro stadium days..

There is a thing called "reading" and "research"... you don't have to have lived through it all. You said something like were the worst franchise in the history of sports. We were not even the worst NFL franchise or even close to the absolute bottom.

NFL franchises more pathetic than the Pats ever were:
-New Orleans
-Tampa Bay Bucs
-Bills (they were basically in our league until the 90s)
-Seahawks (again we are talking 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s
-Cardinals

NBA
-bunches of teams

MLB
-Indians
-Seattle
-Astros
-Brewers
-Cubs (until this year)

Not even going to talk about hockey.

The Patriots were much better franchise than all these teams.

>> If as wrote, you started following the team in 1976, you don't go back far enough to remember the pre-Foxboro stadium days..

There is a thing called "reading" and "research"... you don't have to have lived through it all. You said something like were the worst franchise in the history of sports. We were not even the worst NFL franchise or even close to the absolute bottom.

NFL franchises more pathetic than the Pats ever were:
-New Orleans
-Tampa Bay Bucs
-Bills (they were basically in our league until the 90s)
-Seahawks (again we are talking 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s
-Cardinals

NBA
-bunches of teams

MLB
-Indians
-Seattle
-Astros
-Brewers
-Cubs (until this year)

Not even going to talk about hockey.

The Patriots were much better franchise than all these teams.
Thanks for playing but it wasn't me that called them the worst, it was The Gr8est.
As for your research Seattle and Tampa didn't come into existence until 1974 so you can't compare them to the late 60s early 70's Pats teams.. As for the Bills, they were very good in the early years of AFL with Jack Kemp and then in the early 70s with OJ......
I was the one who wrote that they were one of the poorer franchises in terms of performance..which is indisputable....

And imagine how much more the Pats would have won without the NFL* putting their finger on the scales with CameraPlacementGate and Defamegate, not to mention the discipine that was not imposed on other teams for their infractions.

Boggles the mind what could have been.

I truly believe they'd have another ring - 2010-2013. Not only would they have a 1st round pick but also could have parlayed that into multiple picks, players, free agent acquisition, trade. Maybe an impact defensive player, WR, RB...

Ugh

76-88 the had one losing season, 3 11 win seasons a 10 win season, a few 9 win seasons including when there was only 14 games when 9-5 was pretty good.. One 8-7 year (one game strike I think)

76-80 They were generally considered a powerhouse that kept under delivering..

Yea that was the Squealers and Raiduhs height

I so do appreciate this team, I can't imagine what it feels like to be say a browns fan. This team is just amazing!!

So, I'm down here in West Florider for the wintah and I'm at the cardiologist today wearing my TB12 t-shirt and he tells me he doesn't really follow football (he's Indian, no not Native American, the elephant riding guys from Asia) but his assistant says the Falcons are gonna win. "Why?" I ask. And I get the answer I always get down here, because "Brady wins too much". I hold up my left hand and explain, "God gave Brady 5 digits and he needs one more ring to complete the hand." Then, I hold up my right hand.

Followed the Pats since 1960. We were forced to watch the Giants here in NE, but there were some Browns games televised too. Became a big Jim Brown fan and loved seeing anything NY get the snot kicked out of them. Thanks YA!

In the 60s we were a laughingstock. The AFC was laughed at and we were no AFC force. Played at BU field, Harvard stadium and Fenway Park. Bleacher seats @ Fenway were EZ seats, $2 Friday nights. The one playoff game we made, the Chaagiz dropped a 50 burger on us. Lance Allworth was un-stopable. Cheap owner and low cost coach the amiable Mike Holovack. Others here have chronicled the 70s & 80s and that awful refereeing vs Oakland that cost us a SB appearance that would have been a W.

I'm loving every second of the BB/Brady era.

If it was Peyton Manning setting the record for most Super Bowls started, the NFL would hold a ceremonial "First Snap" and then stop the game to encase the football for display in the Hall of Fame.

He had his chance(s)...

tumblr_n0e7scaYCy1qjqxmoo1_400.gif

78c7bc82f3b16b11cb8e60ee5242141e.jpg

Last edited:
The old IHOP in Needham on Highland Ave gave out those mini plastic team helmets to all kids at the end of meals in the 1970s. They had every frickin' team save the one that played 25 miles away.

Yes, I'm still scarred.
I still have my old "Boston" Patriots drinking glass that Exxon or some other petroleum company used to give out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3