PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone recall the details of the goalpost story...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: ANyone recall the details of the goal post story..

I knew two people that were electrocuted, one lost his left hand and the other has a scar running down the length of his arm and is missing two fingers. No one was killed, but people suffered some serious injuries ! They sued and won bigtime !

They sued? They don't deserve Crap. Basically, they are walking away with stolen property, probably drunk and stupid enough to walk into electrical wires..yet they felt the right to sue? They should have been the ones getting sued..and arrested.

BTW, I was at that game

Last edited:

I was there as well and it was a terrific football game. One of the top moments in Patriot history - PRE-Kraft. I think there were only about three moments prior to Kraft taking over......A) '63 Patriots - Champions without a Crown, beat Buffalo but were killed by S.Diego B) '76 Pats - Oakland disaster. C) '85 Superbowl run...winning those three games were truly fantastic - Raymond Berry could have asked this team to run through a brick wall and they would have done so, no questions asked.

That Cinnci game was truly awesome because it set the stage for the Superbowl run.....it came on the heels of yet another failure down in Miami the previous week, when if they had won, they would have wrapped up the division. So along came a hot Cinnci and no one really expected a win - we never used to win in those days. I recall a great run by Robert Weathers to seal the victory. All hell broke lose at the end when a playoff starved bunch of fans celebrated. It was not mean or vicious or out of control, just an unfortunate incident with the goal post. How security could let people walk out with a goal post defies explanation.

Andre Tippet & John Hannah were at their best, Steve Nelson & Steve Grogan were the heart and soul of the team. They had consummate pro Stanley Morgan playing lights out and also a young and immature WR, Irving Fryar (he returned punts that year). Raymond Claiborn & Roland James were decent that year as anchors of an overachieving defensive backfield that also had Ronnie Lippett and Fred Marion. I recall a ton of timely picks.

Anyway, that is my little trip down memory lane - back to work.

If I remember correctly, after the goal post was knocked down...it was hosted up by the fans to the top of the stadium and dropped over. The idiots who got zapped must have picked it up outside the stadium.

My dad and I were in Section 307 (just below the press box). The crowd went for the North goalpost first. Security figured they'd sacrifice that one to save the other. Well, the mob paraded the North gp out to the 15 or 20, then dropped it.

Picture security forming a semi-circle around the South gp, facing mid-field, watching the entire mob turn as one like a flock of birds. They didn't really run, just kind of flowed towards the South endzone. As they got closer, security backed up a bit, then more, then realized that the crowd was not going to be denied. They just stepped aside and let the South gp go down.

If I remember correctly, after the goal post was knocked down...it was hosted up by the fans to the top of the stadium and dropped over. The idiots who got zapped must have picked it up outside the stadium.

I remember watching it fall and seeing a bunch of people scramble so they would not get knocked out.

I think i remember seeing the damn thing being carried down route one. but it is kind of hazy (there were reasons for that haze in those days, in that stadium, especially inside the stairways leaving the seats headed towards the concessions)

I remember my dad laughing his ass off telling me to look at those happy idiots and saying we were all victory starved. He also said at that moment that a winning team could own this town......how right he was.

If the NEP of the 2000s had the fans of the '70s, 80s and early 90s in attendance, they would never lose a home game.

interesting and, imho, true too

Good posting.

The MNF ban started around 1980, I believe. I don't think the Pats hosted another MNF game until the Bills game in 1995. The atmosphere in the '80s at Pats games was indeed not suited for children. Attending a game nowadays is a 180 degree turn for the better as Kraft really cleaned up the experience.

Regards,
Chris

i remember the games i went to in the late 80s were just ridiculous.

Constant fights in the crowd and bunch of maniacs in our section.

I saw this one guy light a paper bag on fire on an "Aints" fan's head.

then the same guy ripped another fan's pennant out of his hand one day and ate part of it.

They sued? They don't deserve Crap. Basically, they are walking away with stolen property, probably drunk and stupid enough to walk into electrical wires..yet they felt the right to sue? They should have been the ones getting sued..and arrested.

BTW, I was at that game

I'm pretty sure that Bobby Witt ,the former Major League Pitcher with The Texas Rangers was also involved with this incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes