PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone feel sorry the Bills can't get a coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't feel sorry for the Bills organization at all. Ralph Wilson refuses to join the 21st century and it is hurting his team. He won't maximize revenues with things like stadium naming rights which in turn makes him not want to shell out cash to retain or acquire bigger name free agents. His front office looks more like a meeting of the Western NY Chapter of AARP.

As for the fans, I do feel sorry for them since a large of them come from a poorer blue collar background and yet are still faithful to pay for season tickets year after year when the Bills seem to be a rudderless ship.

The Bills problem is really really simple to figure out.

They don't have a GM, and they don't have a plan. The last GM they had with any plan was Tom Donahoe, and he was bad.

Wrong on both counts. Like the Pats the Bills spend to the cap.

Their big problem is that they spend on the wrong players.

$50 million to Langston Walker.

$50 million to Derrick Dockery.

Marcus Stroud too got many millions.

They have a problem attracting FAs but they do spend big bucks for mediocre talent.

Well, they did spend one year, but if you look at their usual spending habits they are usually cheap allowing most of their big names to leave rather than giving them new deals (Nate Clements, London Fletcher, and Jason Peters).

The Bills problem is really really simple to figure out.

They don't have a GM, and they don't have a plan. The last GM they had with any plan was Tom Donahoe, and he was bad.

They have had several GMs since Donahoe. Right now their GM is Buddy Nix who is a spy 70 years old. Before him, Marv Levy had the title. Granted he was middle age in Bills terms since he was in his early 80s when he was GM.

The biggest problem with the Bills is their owner is too cheap to hire a competent GM. Their last GM was a marketing guy who was more concerned with selling tickets than assembling a proper team of players and head coach.

I am surprised that they have not been able to fill it because it is an NFL head coaching job, and there are not many of those. I figured someone would take their chance on it, especially an up and coming young coach looking for his break into the head coaching ranks.

That said, I can see why it is not the most appealing place choose. You got the Belichick, Rex and the Jets (who are trending upwards) and the Parcells regime in Miami that is always a tough place to play. The deck is stacked against you before you even sit down to play.

The franchise and their fans are great and it is a shame that they have become what they are now. As a Pats fan and AFC East rival, I am more than fine with it, but as a NFL fan it's sad to see.

Ah yes, the noble Schottenheimer family coaching tree. Many playoff victories ahead!

....damn, sarcasm is hard to do textually.

Not a fan but I can take them more than the Rats or Fish.

While it may not be one of the better NFL jobs there are only 32 of them.
I really am surprised nobody wants it. It must pay better than most assitant caoches I would think.

No one would feel this way if they weren't perennial losers. I'll take the two wins per year, thank you very much. They'll beat us eventually (almost did this year), and when they do it'll be a dark day.

Well, they did spend one year, but if you look at their usual spending habits they are usually cheap allowing most of their big names to leave rather than giving them new deals (Nate Clements, London Fletcher, and Jason Peters).

Clements wanted a ton of money.

Would you say he's worth 7 years/70 million?

Fletcher, though, I could probably see your point there but last I recall, he was slightly injury-prone during his Bills years.

Peters also wanted a ton of money. Anyone who watched him play vs. the Cowboys last week should be hard-pressed to justify his contract.

I'm not buying it. While those guys left, they paid big bucks to the guys who stayed.

Fletcher was available for anyone in the league for a cheap price, he had injuries. When Winfield left, Takeo Spikes got a big contract.

Clements left and Lee Evans got $9 million a year. It's a bit of a revolving door, but they spend to the cap.

Everyone in Buffalo wanted to keep Peters, but losing Peters was NOT a matter of not paying him enough. He dogged his way out of town. He pulled what Peppers is pulling in Carolina.

When you look at the guys who have scored big contracts, you realize the Bills are paying certain players, and not paying others.

McGee, Dockery, Walker, Lee Evans, heck even Bledsoe, Spikes, Fletcher (remember, he was a FA and they brought him in), Schobel. All big contracts.

And then you have Chris Kelsay.

If the Bills would only stop taking guys way too high in the draft, trading up for busts like Losman and McCargo, brining in FAs like Walker and Dockery for big contracts, and overvaluing their own players, like Kelsay, they might have a chance.

Like I said, they do spend to the salary cap, but they have horrible management.

They have had several GMs since Donahoe. Right now their GM is Buddy Nix who is a spy 70 years old. Before him, Marv Levy had the title. Granted he was middle age in Bills terms since he was in his early 80s when he was GM.

I'm talking about a real GM. Marv Levy was not full time into the job. he delegated to people who knew nothing. Maybe I'm too close to it since I listen to 550 AM in Buffalo everyday on my drive to work.

I just heard that Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh turned the offer to be their coach as well.
My boss is from Buffalo so I won't say anything this week about the Bills.

Bills fans are great and passionate. Buffalo is a blue collar town

so yes I think it sucks that big name coaches won't even consider Buffalo.

I would love to see Buffalo win it all some day (If PATS can't) just to stick it down the noses of the NFL "glamour teams"

The owner is too cheap, stadium too small and weather horrendous. Team will be sold and moved to Toronto.

They deserve what ever they get.

Who wants to be on my coaching staff?;)

I never feel bad for a divisional rivals' misfortune. And after reading twobillsdrive and their comments about the Patriots and Brady's injury I don't exactly feel sorry for that fanbase. Watching Bills fans in their natural state (whiny and bitter) is pretty funny.

What surprises me more is that the Raiders still are able to find Coaching candidates..

I never feel bad for a divisional rivals' misfortune. And after reading twobillsdrive and their comments about the Patriots and Brady's injury I don't exactly feel sorry for that fanbase. Watching Bills fans in their natural state (whiny and bitter) is pretty funny.

I read that to. I guess their's no team in the division
we can like, is there :)

Why should we feel sorry that a LOSER owner refuses to do right by his fans and get a decent coach?
Why does noone want to coach there.....he may want to look there 1st......

I'm betting it's NOT the fanbase, so the owner has issues, and I DON'T feel sorry for them, I'm betting they weren't feeling sorry for us when they were going to 4 str8 losses......ummmmm 4 str8 SB'S :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft