PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone Else Think Maroney Will Have Big Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRBLAZE

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
There are favorable matches to exploit in Jacksonville's secondary. That's why I think at least initially the game-plan will be to establish Maroney. I don't think Jacksonville will really expect that so I think the opportunity is definitely there for him to get off to a good start.

When all is said and done, I'm thinking 125yds for Maroney with a rushing TD. If they start putting extra help in the box, which I can't see them doing, they'll be exploited hard. And likely will be either way, so I think it's a good idea to let Lauence carry the ball early and often.

NFLF_Laurence_Maroney_100106.jpg

From what I've heard about the Jags is that they're very good against the run.
I just saw Willy McGinest on NFLN say that he thinks the Pats will use the spread offense.

From what I've heard about the Jags is that they're very good against the run.
Yeah, that's kind of why I think NE will go in and challenge them on that front. The passing game should be there no matter what, so I think if Maroney can get more carries than Jacksonville is expecting to start the game he could help break it wide open.

I can't see us changing a winning formula if we don't have to. I say we pass it. they will be ready for a us to run as well jax coaches are not stupid but that doesn't mean they an stop us going air no one else has. just the weather

not me. He'll do Ok but I'll be surprised if he breaks 100 yds.

No way, he's terrible. Don't you read the expert analysis from people on this board?

/sarcasm

No way, he's terrible. Don't you read the expert analysis from people on this board?

/sarcasm
Apparently. I think he'll rush for over 100 and a score as I said, hopefully he silences some of his OWN critics. :p

Yeah, that's kind of why I think NE will go in and challenge them on that front. The passing game should be there no matter what, so I think if Maroney can get more carries than Jacksonville is expecting to start the game he could help break it wide open.

Myself, I agree with Willy.
But he also said they would start out with the spread.
Once the Jags start playing the pass more than Maroney will get the carries.
But I could be wrong.:eek:

I hope so, but I don't see that happening. I still think Maroney will serve some value catching some passes out of the backfield and doing some damage in space.

I hope so, but I don't see that happening. I still think Maroney will serve some value catching some passes out of the backfield and doing some damage in space.

I'd also like to see Lomo get more passes out of the backfield.
He's shown that he could be explosive like a Westbrook.

I agree that building Maroney as a priority feature of the offense would be a surprise, but I just don't see it happening on the ground. He could be used as a receiver to big advantage though.

Actually, I expect him to get a couple of draw plays out of the shotgun where he might actually be able to get into the secondary.

There are a lot of things they can do with him.

I did wonder if they'd take up the gauntlet and try to run the ball to make a statement though. I think the key to that is picking their spot. I almost expect them to rip off a few runs in a row to give the OL some chances to pancake guys.

I really hope so. He showed some nice moves in the last few games of the season. I think Jax will be expecting the apssing game to dominate, so throwing Maroney into the mix early and often may benefit us.

I really hope so. He showed some nice moves in the last few games of the season. I think Jax will be expecting the apssing game to dominate, so throwing Maroney into the mix early and often may benefit us.
Yeah we're sharing the same brain on that one. Then again, maybe that's why we're not professional coaches and mere fans. :D

This whole week has been about MJD and Fred Taylor. I wonder if that bothers Maroney? I hope he breaks a long one just to shut everyone up.

I doubt it. I expect them to go like they did with the Eagles. Hurry-up offense, four wide on every play in the first half. With a few Maroney plays in there, perhaps, on some key third downs. Maroney is good, but not their strongest suit. BB will go to the path of least resistance: our pass against their pass defense is a much better matchup than our run against their run defense.

I bet we'll actually see Faulk more than Maroney in the first half.

No kidding...the man is dancing around. But he is the only real shot for us in running!

Some guys make it seem like we've got a bumbling idiot in the backfield. Maroney is a very talented kid, I promise you if he gets enough touches he's rushing for over 100 tomorrow and scoring.

I can see Maroney in there mainly to keep the Jaguars defense honest. The only way I see him running the ball is if the Patriots have a significant lead going into the 3rd or 4th quarter, once the Jags defense has been tired out. And even then, I don't see him gaining 100 yards.

Bump. Getting psyched, only 12pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back