PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anybody think Maroney will be better than Bush

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in California, and watched Bush with much amazement over the years. The guy is hell on wheels, and I had not seen a guy drop on a dime like that since Barry Sanders. With that being said, Maroney will be the better pro back. Call me a homer all you want, but Michael Vick is the perfect example. In college, the run defenses are weaker. Bush won't get away with all of that flashy crap in the NFL. Players are faster, stronger and much smarter. Sure, Bush will tear up the occasional weak opponents, but when he ever meets a strong D, he will be eaten alive. Basically, I guess I am just trying to say that he will be inconsistent. Alot of what he did also hinged on the bruising style of LenDale White. Bush would get tired, White would come right in and produce. If Bush gets tired in this league, the odds of him getting pulled out are probably slim.
Maroney however, picks his hole and GOES! RB's like that always produce better at the pro level. Along with better coaching and a more balanced team, I just feel that Maroney will be the better back over the long haul. Like I said, call me a homer, but I have always felt that Bush was extremely over-rated, and now he is like a GOD. Sorry, but the poor bastard will never live up to that hype. The only man to do so much with all that pressure has been LeBron, and we all know that there is only one LeBron.

Last edited by a moderator:
holyredeemer said:
I live in California, and watched Bush with much amazement over the years. The guy is hell on wheels, and I had not seen a guy drop on a dime like that since Barry Sanders. With that being said, Maroney will be the better pro back. Call me a homer all you want, but Michael Vick is the perfect example. In college, the run defenses are weaker. Bush won't get away with all of that flashy crap in the NFL. Players are faster, stronger and much smarter. Sure, Bush will tear up the occasional weak opponents, but when he ever meets a strong D, he will be eaten alive. Basically, I guess I am just trying to say that he will be inconsistent. Alot of what he did also hinged on the bruising style of LenDale White. Bush would get tired, White would come right in and produce. If Bush gets tired in this league, the odds of him getting pulled out are probably slim.
Maroney however, picks his hole and GOES! RB's like that always produce better at the pro level. Along with better coaching and a more balanced team, I just feel that Maroney will be the better back over the long haul. Like I said, call me a homer, but I have always felt that Bush was extremely over-rated, and now he is like a GOD. Sorry, but the poor bastard will never live up to that hype. The only man to do so much with all that pressure has been LeBron, and we all know that there is only one LeBron.

I disagree......I think Bush will live up to the hype. I have less doubt about Bush than I do Maroney. Don't get me wrong, I think Maroney will possibly be very good to great (not immediately though with Dillon around). Bush/Mcallister will be a lot like Anderson/Bell in my opinion, where both rush for over 800+ yards (this year). Bush will also probably catch at least 40 passes, AND be a major force as a kick returner. I am a HUGE Maroney fan, have been for the last 2 years (2004 when I was watching Barber), but I haven't seen a talent like Bush in a long time, in fact, I don't think I've ever seen a RB this good at receiving.....ever.

Mike Ditka traded a draft for Ricky Williams. Williams became a #1 back and is still considered overhyped, mainly based on personal opinions and not performance. Let's not get into that. Raghib "the Rocket" Ismail came into the league full of media piss and vinegar a la Bush (btw: great jokes PFiV). So fast, so quick, so intuitive. Never before a talent such as his. He became a solid pro, an all-star briefly, but nothing more.

Before we try to predict the future of two potentially great backs, think back to two we have recently witnessed: Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith. What would have been had Barry been a Cowboy? I believe it would have been much more than Smith was as a Cowboy, and considerably more than Emmitt as a Lion.

I was hoping the Pats would draft Lawson. When Maroney was drafted, I wondered why. After research, I was elated. Unlike Bush, whom under Carroll was allowed to run as he liked, Maroney was actually constrained. In his greatest collegiate run from scrimmage, he actually deviated from the instruction of his coach. In later interviews, he expressed his remorseful fear for doing so. In college, Maroney was taught to make one cut and go, regardless of anything. The wizardry of Bush would have never seen the light of day in such a system.

Maroney has the benefit of a good team, great coaches, and the ability to grow as a player and a person. Bush is going to a poor team and has already been a bit player in a celebrity custom car show-off-off. It is easy to be young, rich, and impressionable. It is much more difficult to be young and humble. My vote goes to Maroney, after all is said and done.

Well, since I imagine people want a broad spectrum of opinion, here is the opinion of a Dolphins fan. Initially, we all know it's really almost impossible to answer this question. But, in all honesty, I think Maroney will be a good to very good back but I just don't see greatness coming from him. Minnesota has a game in which running backs thrive. Even last year one can look up the stats and see that Russell, with whom Maroney split carries, had 186 carries for 1,130 yards and 18 tds (compared to Maroney's 281 carries for 1464 yards and 10 tds). When he split time with Barber, they both also had guady numbers. I don't think we'll truly know for a couple of years how he stacks against Bush because unless Dillon goes down I'm not sure Maroney will be in too many sets. Most first down sets will most likely feature Dillon with Maroney spelling him from time to time. I could see Dillon and Maroney splitting second down but if you're in third and have more than 4 yards to go I'm not sure you would ever see Maroney in the backfield. He has been knocked on his pass protection and I don't think they'd want to put Brady in that position. Also, despite hearing his hands were decent at the mini-camps, he simply didn't catch many balls on the collegiate level. I think Dillon's experience wins out. Having said all that, NO has already said they'll be working on getting Deuce and Bush on the field together even if that means splitting Bush out, a position he's shown he can excel in. I'm just not certain I see that much versatility from Maroney but I guess time will tell.

Hey, if you can't be a homer here, then where can you be a homer? Maroney will be the best back the world has ever seen! lol. Having said that, I think Bush is a very special player too! They will probably both have stellar careers in the NFL.

It all depends upon the offensive lines. They are what determine how well a back will do.

Bush could well be another Barry Sanders. I think he is less small than people think (I can't remember his exact size) and some of his moves are unreal.

Chevagus said:
Having said all that, NO has already said they'll be working on getting Deuce and Bush on the field together even if that means splitting Bush out, a position he's shown he can excel in. I'm just not certain I see that much versatility from Maroney but I guess time will tell.

Maroney will be a safety valve catching out of the backfield, and that's all a RB should be. While watching alot of college games over the yrs., I will agree with you and anyone else for that matter that Minn. has a great system for their RB's. However, Maroney shows and intense competitive fire, and I just see that translating to the NFL alot better then Bush's style. Bush can go ahead and line up at WR, but all it's going to take is a MONSTER hit from a SS while he is trying to catch the ball and Bush's arms will shorten very quickly. Also, what coach in his right mind would let a talent with as much hype as Bush return Kickoffs? One awkward hit while he is running past the 40 and he will be sidelined over the course of a season. That coach will be fried by the press and fans alike. Bush will be a great talent, but Maroney will, over time, be proven to be the best overall RB.

holyredeemer said:
Also, what coach in his right mind would let a talent with as much hype as Bush return Kickoffs?
i bet Belichick would. Check 2001. Troy Brown caught over 100 passes but was the punt returner. And we all know all the other starters who are on ST. It's 1/3 of the game and those aren't just words.

I understand drafting for value but it still baffles me that the saints took him with Duece.. he aint no slouch.. the guy is a top back.. i think that in the end will ultimately hurt Bush til he is the feature back only and im guessing duece traded somewhere,.

BelichickFan said:
i bet Belichick would. Check 2001. Troy Brown caught over 100 passes but was the punt returner. And we all know all the other starters who are on ST. It's 1/3 of the game and those aren't just words.

No offense, but are we comparing Brown to Bush now? Also, none of those starters are returning the kicks. Returning a kick and Gunning a kick are two totally different things. Also, I admit that BB would do something like that, if he felt the need to. However, BB isn't right in the head, and that's what makes him such a genius.

I'm not sure if our Canadian friends agree with me, but I thought Mulroney was better than Bush.

midwestpatsfan said:
Anybody think Maroney will be better than Bush?

What are your thoughts on this? Am I crazy.

Considering that Bush might sit out the entire 2006 season if he doesn't get #1 pick $$ - I'd say there's a pretty good chance Maroney will be better than Bush - this season anyway.

He'll be better than Bush, and so will a handful of other backs in the draft. Bush's skills in college won't translate as well to the pros as everyone seems to think. He'll discover pretty quickly that he can't turn the corner on an NFL caliber defense after first making a guy miss in the backfield and then bouncing it way outside because he didn't bother to follow his blockers. You can get away with it in college when you're a man amongst boys, but not in the NFL.

anyone who is dreaming that Maroney is better than Bush should wake up. The only reason you believe this to be true, is because you WANT and WISH for it to be true based on the sole fact that Maroney is on the Patriots and Bush is not.

If the Pats had Deangelo Williams, we would be having the same discussion suggesting that Williams is better than Bush.

Look, I want him to be better than Bush as well, but let's realize that we are all speaking out of huge bias in this discussion.

brdmaverick said:
anyone who is dreaming that Maroney is better than Bush should wake up. The only reason you believe this to be true, is because you WANT and WISH for it to be true based on the sole fact that Maroney is on the Patriots and Bush is not.

If the Pats had Deangelo Williams, we would be having the same discussion suggesting that Williams is better than Bush.

Look, I want him to be better than Bush as well, but let's realize that we are all speaking out of huge bias in this discussion.

I agree wholeheartedly brdmaverick. To say that the skills Bush showed in college won't translate to the pros is assinine. You can say that about any college player, but how can you be so sure that Bush's talent won't and Maroney's will. Look, we all want Maroney to be the next great Pats RB, and hopefully he will be, but Bush was the Heisman trophy winner and #2 pick overall !! There's a reason why Bush was the top RB picked and Maroney the second picked.

It MAY turn out eventually that Maroney may be the best, or Williams, or Lendale White, or some back picked in the 6th round, but most people at this juncture that think Maroney will be better are basing it on wishing he will be. At this juncture, if I had my choice, I would have preferred that we had Bush instead of Maroney, let's hope Maroney proves that I'm wrong, but I doubt it. All those blathering about the Maroney video on Youtube (the run against Wisconsin gives me chills), watch some Bush videos and you'll see why he was the top back picked. While Maroney seems to have good cutback ability, watch Bush, he does it at full speed, sometimes sided to side, like he has eyes in the back of his head. Watch him spread out as a wide receiver, and watch him burn past db's to catch bombs, watch his return ability.

I will say this about both RB's, when they get in the secondary, they both usually take it to the house. Wonderful speed by both guys. It should be exciting, and I'm stoked by Shanahan's comment about Maroney. One thing I like about Maroney a little bit better than Bush, He seems to be a little thicker, a little bigger.

brdmaverick said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwBbBY0tf6E

I am biased and this is PERSONAL. The point is not who's the better tailback but who will produce more on their CURRENT NFL TEAM. Bush represents that "blown-up" player from high school or college that was on the dream team that everyone (and the media) loved.... YES...he WAS one of the best last year
It would be a great feeling to see Maroney excel and shock everyone (especially the Dolts) next year-that's the point. Bush is an incredible athlete but THERE HAVE BEEN OTHERS LIKE HIM. Call me a hater- but I would love to see Bush get crushed by every single play in the NFL by the superior defenses that will be waiting to shut his ass down. Just like when Eli cried at on Draft Day when his daddy didn't get him a good job on a "good"team- I can't stand *****es and they will be dealt with.

Gimme Value.

George Washington did not win the Revolutionary War-it was the no name men that sacrificed themselves- The underdogs! Big names don't win games.
Get my point?
Let the underdog rise.
Let all that hot air dissipate

I hope Maroney plays with the bigger heart and proves that he actually IS the more versatile and passionate player and again WE WIN and prove all these John Clayton turkey faces wrong. We know what we're doing.

I'll take Maroney over Bush anyday for the simple fact that I like players that have alot to prove-just like my team.

The End

Last edited by a moderator:
mikey said:
I'm not sure if our Canadian friends agree with me, but I thought Mulroney was better than Bush.

i agree. Kerry,Gore,Edwards, Clinton,Richardson,Obama,Bayh, Maroney, any of them would be better than Bush!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News