PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any chance of getting S Reggie Nelson Fl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Florida junior All-American safety Reggie Nelson has elected to forgo his senior season and will entry the NFL draft.
Think he could drop to us?

Florida junior All-American safety Reggie Nelson has elected to forgo his senior season and will entry the NFL draft.
Think he could drop to us?

all is possible..we've witnessed Derrick Johnson drop..Rodgers..so many players fall in the draft for "X" reason

hes projected to go top 15..hes the biggest playmaker of all DBs in first round. its him or Landry in top safety spot

The more that declear for the pro's the better we will do.
Anyone that you hope drops to us?

The more that declear for the pro's the better we will do.
Anyone that you hope drops to us?

a lot of people i hope but probably wont

Gaines Adam...Dwayne Jarrett..Leon Hall..Nelson..Landry..Willis..Timmons

id love any of those guys;..Adams-Jarrett-Hall-Landry probably wont but others have a shot

I have confidence in Chad Jackson so I'm not too interested in 1st rd receivers.
Players I hope will drop
Nelson
Landry
Timmons
Abiamiri
McCauley
Hall
Jarvis Moss* depending on atititude etc.
Siler/Willis. Whichever has better size/speed potential. Both are leaders and relentless.

I have a feeling once McCauley works out at the combine he'll shoot up the charts again, and people will forgive his poor senior season. Hall will probably run a slow 40, so he'll drop. What I like about Abiamiri is his durability, athletic upside, and team first attitude. He was regularly double-teamed.

Last edited:
With potetnially four CB's with first round grades and 3 FS's with first round grades. It is concievable that Nelson could cause Landry to drop to us at #24. Especially if teams ahead of us go CB over FS. At the very least Merriweather drops to us and with some maturing and anger management classes, he could be our Ed Reed for years to come.

With potetnially four CB's with first round grades and 3 FS's with first round grades. It is concievable that Nelson could cause Landry to drop to us at #24. Especially if teams ahead of us go CB over FS. At the very least Merriweather drops to us and with some maturing and anger management classes, he could be our Ed Reed for years to come.
Someone has to drop. We go through this "he'll never be there at our pick" thing every year. But only 23 players can be taken before the Patriots pick and with a deep DB group, someone will be there - like you say, FAR more likely one of the Safeties than one of the CB. It'll end up like when we got Wilfork at #21 and then guys like Ngata go at #12 and Branch likely will go higher this year. People will look at how high the Huffs and Whitners went last year and say "sh!t, the Patriots got xyz at #24" :rocker:

Has anyone seen the Wendlding kid out of Wyoming? Just curious as to what people think.

Talk about optimism, why the confidence in Jackson? In the most important game of the year (SD) he didn't even take a snap.

It is a deep year for WRs, players like Rice, Meachem, Bowe and maybe Ginn should be available. It is not out of the question that they take one of these players, the WRs as a unit are only average. A few more playmakers would be great.

It wouldn't look bad to take a CB (Hall, Davis, Hughes, Ross, McCauley) and then one of the WRs above. Brown will likely retire and Kight and Childress are not impact players.

I have confidence in Chad Jackson so I'm not too interested in 1st rd receivers.
Players I hope will drop
Nelson
Landry
Timmons
Abiamiri
McCauley
Hall
Jarvis Moss* depending on atititude etc.
Siler/Willis. Whichever has better size/speed potential. Both are leaders and relentless.

I have a feeling once McCauley works out at the combine he'll shoot up the charts again, and people will forgive his poor senior season. Hall will probably run a slow 40, so he'll drop. What I like about Abiamiri is his durability, athletic upside, and team first attitude. He was regularly double-teamed.

Has anyone seen the Wendlding kid out of Wyoming? Just curious as to what people think.

Oh yes. After the top three Safeties, Eric Weddle and John Wendling are very intriguing prospects in maybe rounds 2-3. Both are smart, versatile players. Wendling has the far better size and speed...strong vs the run. Weddle may be more instinctive and seems better in coverage. I think they're both Pats-type prospects we could consider after round one. They're just not on the same level as Nelson or Landry, who are definate first-rounders.

Both Rodney and Geno will be back healthy next season -- so we don't have to go R1 for that position. The future may be NOW for finding Rodney's replacement who will have plenty of time to develop (unless Sanders can fill his shoes). But it's good to know there are other Safety options for us later on. I still want a playmaking DB from this draft...be it a CB or Safety. The round doesn't matter -- just the right player.

Someone has to drop. We go through this "he'll never be there at our pick" thing every year. But only 23 players can be taken before the Patriots pick and with a deep DB group, someone will be there - like you say, FAR more likely one of the Safeties than one of the CB.

Even though it's still early. I have no doubt a quality DB will be there when we pick. Will the Pats want him will be the question?

In addition to Safety and CB, the other position we may strongly consider is a DE conversion-type player. An edge-rushing DE/OLB...or a DE who can convert inside. Size is not an issue for these players as it is for Willis, Poz and others. Unless we suddenly stray away from the size that BB usually covets for his LBs and draft Poz (near-perfect intangibles), we may want to focus on this draft's DE/OLB prospects. Bruschi converted...Vrabel has. We may still go FA for an ILB, but developing a youngster can't hurt. Just food for thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes