PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Antonio Smith says he never thought Pats O-Line was all that

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Raiders defensive tackle Antonio Smith, though, brought up an interesting point after the game. When he previously played for the Texans, he was never that impressed with the Patriots’ offensive linemen.
“Me, personally, I’ve never seen them to have a really good, solid, across-the-line offensive line,” Smith said. “Tom Brady, always with that quick passing game, changing things up, has made them look good. I remember back when New York and Tuck and them played them in the Super Bowl, and when they faced true pass rushers, they’ve always had trouble.”

-----
Whenever you can get the Patriots to drop back and pass the ball, you’re going to get pressure on them. I don’t think they’re built to pass drop all day,” Smith said. “They like to run the ball, keep you guessing, on your toes. But if you can get out there and rush the passer every down, it’s going to be trouble for them.”

---
“They’re very clever,” Smith said. “And most of the time when they brought that sixth offensive lineman in, they passed the ball. To be perfectly honest, it worked sometimes. There were times when we got caught in personnel, and he would just keep throwing the ball, completing passes.”

-Ben Volin @ Globe

Looks like the book is out. I hope the O-Line gets figured out, and soon.

Elite QBs have a way of elevating all ten of the other players on the field. It's no surprise to hear this.

we can't run the ball at all. think we average somewhere around 2.9 yards a rush.

that is terrible.

+1. I don't think a lot of people are waking up and being shocked over Mr. Smith's enlightenment for the masses.

People have always considered the Patriots OL to be a case where the whole was greater than the sum of the parts. That being said, the Giants reference is just stupid, as it ignores the 1 sack, 38 points allowed performance of those same Giants just a few weeks earlier. In Smith's defense, though, it's a stupidity that has taken root throughout the country.

Raiders defensive tackle Antonio Smith, though, brought up an interesting point after the game. When he previously played for the Texans, he was never that impressed with the Patriots’ offensive linemen.
“Me, personally, I’ve never seen them to have a really good, solid, across-the-line offensive line,” Smith said. “Tom Brady, always with that quick passing game, changing things up, has made them look good. I remember back when New York and Tuck and them played them in the Super Bowl, and when they faced true pass rushers, they’ve always had trouble.”

-----
Whenever you can get the Patriots to drop back and pass the ball, you’re going to get pressure on them. I don’t think they’re built to pass drop all day,” Smith said. “They like to run the ball, keep you guessing, on your toes. But if you can get out there and rush the passer every down, it’s going to be trouble for them.”

---
“They’re very clever,” Smith said. “And most of the time when they brought that sixth offensive lineman in, they passed the ball. To be perfectly honest, it worked sometimes. There were times when we got caught in personnel, and he would just keep throwing the ball, completing passes.”

-Ben Volin @ Globe

Looks like the book is out. I hope the O-Line gets figured out, and soon.

An astute observation from a good opponent and certainly true. The Pats Offensive line was just good enough to win with; and seldom without a few limited players contributing like Andruzzi or the revolving RTs Robinson-Randall etc. until Vollmer arrived.

Belichick has re-built the entire team, and the last squad to see restoration/improvement is the Offensive line. BB is replacing the entire interior Offensive line with prospectively much better long term prospects.

Wendell a gutty, tough but undersized UDFA, is being replaced with Bryan Stork with Connolly providing a transitory interim step. Substituting a national champion Rimington Trophy winner who is 25 #s bigger will improve the C position, sooner or later.

Replacing a tough, but elderly Logan Mankins with a bigger tackle will transition to a new young generation at LG. This may only be a wash, but it will likely provide another decade of good play there, sooner or later.

Grooming a Stud RT and converting him to RG is a more measured transition. But heady Connolly is 33, and will have to yield to substantially bigger, and more talented Cam Flemming, sooner or later.

The Tackles are both huge, and highly sought after talents, even if Solder is presently having some problems. But across the board BB will have a drafted O line of all high and mid high draft picks all substantially bigger, and less likely to be bull rushed and dominated by good lines, when the transition is through.

Even the depth has not been ignored. UDFA projects already are there, with a full years training and some spot starts, Devers and Kline are now experienced substitutes who along with Connolly will provide an adequate substitution everywhere but swing tackle, and Devers may even suffice there for short appearances,before Vollmer or Cannon have to be moved.

When the transition is finished, BB will have an Offensive line, better than he has ever had. No more Andruzzi, Robinson-Randalls or Boldins, as lesser talent and potential weak spots. A line that doesn't have to succeed merely on finesse and good coaching. It will be a fully talented line, reminiscent of the Skins' Hogs or Jimmy Johnson's gargantuan Cowboys lines.

Meanwhile the transition will sometimes be painful. The critics will be impatient, and full of Monday morning advice. But even at the beginning, the Team is scoring at a 22 points/game, an above average amount. It should get better before mid-season. The ease of the transition and the results will determine if BB needs to invest another First or only a Third rounder to complete the Offensive line rebuild.

Query: Has anyone started to think of a nickname for the rebuilt and improved O-line? The nickname "Hogs" defined an entire decade of Redskin teams.

Last edited:
Query: Has anyone started to think of a nickname for the rebuilt and improved O-line? The nickname "Hogs" defined an entire decade of Redskin teams.

Hmmm, let me think. The only nickname that comes to mind right off the bat is The Brady Killers....

Read Smith's comments with some interest until I was reminded that he came from the Texans. Then I seemed to recall that the Pats' offense, including the online, hasn't had much trouble trampling them in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft